Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah this game felt much more willing to let its DNA as a sister series to Uncharted shine through than TLOU 1 did. TLOU 1 sneers at the jump button, climbing mechanics and bombastic set pieces of uncharted out of fear that it would compromise its status as A More Serious game while tlou 2 has the confidence to not give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You know how some of us are left with 99 elixirs at the end of a RPG because what if we really really need them later? In this game, every bullet is an elixir.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

JBP posted:

I loved those bits. I'm going to play NG+ with items turned way up and make that bit the entire game.

I'm doing this right now, and I recommend turning on the accessibility option that makes you automatically pick up materials and ammo. It's great fun blasting through an encounter, then running through the buildings just hoovering up everything that isn't nailed down.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

RedTeam posted:

What's with the Space Needle being on an island?

This was very confusing to me, too. I’ve been to Seattle enough times to orient myself from the landmarks in the game, but then we went to what I guessed was either Bainbridge or Vashon island and suddenly there’s the space needle? Unless The Big One hit and separated Seattle’s landmass, but if so it’s not mentioned.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Looking at a map of Seattle the space needle is like.. half a mile from the convention center, which is definitely on the 'mainland' in TLOU2 and not the island, so I'm guessing creative liberties were taken

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My first idea was something about global warming. Would the space needle be on an island if the ocean levels rise? Never been to Seattle.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Indecisive posted:

Looking at a map of Seattle the space needle is like.. half a mile from the convention center, which is definitely on the 'mainland' in TLOU2 and not the island, so I'm guessing creative liberties were taken

I figured that due to the flooding in Seattle, maybe the sea levels have risen and split some parts off the mainland?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The space needle is 1.3 miles from the library (that wild shaped glass building in the tourist map open section) so creative liberties I guess.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Remember in tlou2 that one weird vehicle section where you got infinite ammo? That felt so much like a UC section

The jetboat section in the first Uncharted has a grenade launcher magically spawn in Elena's hands once she gets on it, and it also magically despawns from her once she gets off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The museum section of the game is cool and good, but it's also twisting that knife hard.

quote:

The jetboat section in the first Uncharted has a grenade launcher magically spawn in Elena's hands once she gets on it, and it also magically despawns from her once she gets off.

Sections. I believe there are at least two of those sections where she gets on the jetski and hey what do you know, grenade launcher!

I could be making this up but I feel like I read that originally you were supposed to just dodge the barrels, which is beyond infuriating, so after playtesting they slapped the launcher in there as a fix.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm sure someone hotfixed that thing at the last minute because playtesters were complaining. Except they only did it for the first section.

The second section (where you go up the rapids) only gives you a handgun and the barrels are moving this time, plus far-away enemies you have to be very accurate with.

First section (Chapter 8)

Second section (Chapter 12)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1275808792056344576?s=20

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If they wanted it to be a proper John wick game they should have had an unkillable enemy hunt you down and destroy you each time you killed a dog

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Bruh, you can dive backwards?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Tlou2 is the only video game that has managed to make me empathise with a character who is essentially an IDF soldier, by having her defect to save refugees so that sure is something

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lugubrious posted:

I'm doing this right now, and I recommend turning on the accessibility option that makes you automatically pick up materials and ammo. It's great fun blasting through an encounter, then running through the buildings just hoovering up everything that isn't nailed down.

that is seriously one of the best things in this game and everyone should have it on from the beginning.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Makes me nostalgic for max payne 3.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/06/24/storylines-characters-levels-cut-last-us-part-ii/#click=https://t.co/a7pAymwjl7

They talk about some more things that were cut in this. I think they made the right call on all of them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeah this is how I played through the game and it was extremely fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

Kaedric posted:

https://breadnroses.net/

Go to an offsite that was created in reaction to the lovely moderation and nazis on SA instead of one created because people weren't allowed to be nazi enough, for a change.

WampaLord posted:

Anyone who wants an invite, just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register, I will approve, let me know the username you select if it is different.

Also be patient if it takes a little bit, there is a queue I am getting through as quickly as I can.

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

I've shared the links in a few threads now and figured here was a good place too since Stux aside, everyone here's chill and this place is probably gonna go the way of NeoGAF.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I don’t think I’m going to play this game seems dumb

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 25, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WatermelonGun posted:

I don’t think I’m going to play this game seems dumb

The wild thing is you CAN not play it, it's very fun to not do things

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think he actually wrote that, he initially posted goatse, so you can probably ignore the post :v:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
this is gonna be a thing and that's cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7C82kUGeYM

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ymgve posted:

this is gonna be a thing and that's cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7C82kUGeYM

Holy poo poo, the touchpad actually plucks individual strings.. This game keeps giving.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/06/24/storylines-characters-levels-cut-last-us-part-ii/#click=https://t.co/a7pAymwjl7

They talk about some more things that were cut in this. I think they made the right call on all of them

jfc the game was going to be five days originally

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

SUNKOS posted:

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

I've shared the links in a few threads now and figured here was a good place too since Stux aside, everyone here's chill and this place is probably gonna go the way of NeoGAF.

If the ending of this site is as good as the ending of Last of us 2 then your fingers are gonna go the way of neogaf

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Just finished the game an hour ago - Hard Mode with a playtime of 34 hours, a lot longer than I was expecting. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers just in case so please don't finish my post if you're still playing.

Loved it. Pacing was definitely hosed though, everything that happened after the Confrontation was a bit messy but I appreciate what they were going with thematically. Speaking of which, I grew to really like Abby as a character and during the final boss fight I even got a purposeful game over to see if there was a split ending (of course there wasn't, this is a Naughty Dog game). Ground Zero section was cool, The Descent was cool, Tommy Sniper section was cool, escape from the Island was cool, Abby got all the cool set-pieces.

I also enjoyed letting those captive Infected loose on the Rattlers, I wish the game had more of that

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

SUNKOS posted:

Oh by the way I've used this since forever:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
And use a dark theme here

Edit: Unrelated to everything else

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 25, 2020

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do think the Tommy sniper stuff felt out of place and they had the idea but couldn’t fit it into the final story as well, but it was a cool gameplay setting.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

bobjr posted:

I do think the Tommy sniper stuff felt out of place and they had the idea but couldn’t fit it into the final story as well, but it was a cool gameplay setting.

i was just glad that manny caught a bullet

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Okay so I solved Ellie's guitar problem in something that should take her literally five minutes to do since she can tune by ear:

-If you want to play in a minor key, swap the G string into the D string's place. Now you can play any minor chord by barring the bottom 3 strings with the index finger and dropping the middle finger onto the A string 2 frets up from the index finger. You can actually also play the B and high E string for added tone if you like, if you just make sure to curve your index so the D string is muted. This is totally optional though, you don't have to do it until you're ready.
-You should be able to drop the pinky or ring finger stump on the high E too to add an extra note, if not, put on a thimble.
-For a major key, just tune the G string up half a step.

Of course, this was all about "putting Joel behind" as someone in the discord pointed out. But you could do that much more subtly and less stupidly by just having her pick up the guitar, and not be able to play it well as she just decides she doesn't give a gently caress anymore, and putting it away. No need to actually lose fingers - they don't actually keep you from not being able to play guitar. It's just hamfisted bad writing.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Y’all are so weird

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Okay so I solved Ellie's guitar problem in something that should take her literally five minutes to do since she can tune by ear:

-If you want to play in a minor key, swap the G string into the D string's place. Now you can play any minor chord by barring the bottom 3 strings with the index finger and dropping the middle finger onto the A string 2 frets up from the index finger. You can actually also play the B and high E string for added tone if you like, if you just make sure to curve your index so the D string is muted. This is totally optional though, you don't have to do it until you're ready.
-You should be able to drop the pinky or ring finger stump on the high E too to add an extra note, if not, put on a thimble.

Of course, this was all about "putting Joel behind" as someone in the discord pointed out. But you could do that much more subtly and less stupidly by just having her pick up the guitar, and not be able to play it well as she just decides she doesn't give a gently caress anymore, and putting it away. No need to actually lose fingers - they don't actually keep you from not being able to play guitar. It's just hamfisted bad writing.

This is very odd

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

do you think Ellie's story arc was starting out good at guitar and then not being able to play guitar anymore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Firstborn posted:

Oh by the way I've used this since forever:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
And use a dark theme here

Edit: Unrelated to everything else

Stylish is a horror on privacy and was replaced by a more privacy conscious third party, Stylus. Or something. But if you’re only using it to force dark mode poo poo just get Dark Reader, an extension that doesn’t watch your poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pencils R Cool posted:

Just finished the game an hour ago - Hard Mode with a playtime of 34 hours, a lot longer than I was expecting. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers just in case so please don't finish my post if you're still playing.

Loved it. Pacing was definitely hosed though, everything that happened after the Confrontation was a bit messy but I appreciate what they were going with thematically. Speaking of which, I grew to really like Abby as a character and during the final boss fight I even got a purposeful game over to see if there was a split ending (of course there wasn't, this is a Naughty Dog game). Ground Zero section was cool, The Descent was cool, Tommy Sniper section was cool, escape from the Island was cool, Abby got all the cool set-pieces.

I also enjoyed letting those captive Infected loose on the Rattlers, I wish the game had more of that

they should have pulled a full MGS2 with this and only had the abby part of the game as soon as ellie gets to seattle. just cut literally all of ellie's story and piss off everyone.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Sir Tonk posted:

they should have pulled a full MGS2 with this and only had the abby part of the game as soon as ellie gets to seattle. just cut literally all of ellie's story and piss off everyone.

Actually yes

EDIT:

quote:

“The reason that got scrapped was because we just didn’t have time to establish Esther,” Gross said. Players wouldn’t have enough time to bond with Esther before her death.
Well that didn't seem to be an issue in final build lmao

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Well you do get a chance to bond with everyone in Ellie's story who dies before they do. And Abby's story AFTER they do

If you mean Joel well we spent an entire game bonding with him, it came out in 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You also get a significant amount of time with Joel through the flashbacks.