Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ramadu posted:

It can't be worse than picard

why would you post this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It looks like the section down below might literally just be a deflector and not much else, so there might not even be people in it.

Starfleet engineering got so sick of people breaking deflector dishes by trying to get them to emit/absorb/scan all manner of things they aren't designed for that they said gently caress it and literally put the thing where the crew can't touch it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

why would you post this

the good news for the show is that expectations can't get any lower, which might be the main theme

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

pyrotek posted:

the good news for the show is that expectations can't get any lower, which might be the main theme

Lower decks could be the best modern Star Trek series. It wouldn't take much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's just continuing a proud starfleet tradition of ship designers that hate engineers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Man, Harry Kim saves the entire crew of the Voyager with a message from the future and HE STILL CAN'T GET A PROMOTION?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Animal-Mother posted:

Man, Harry Kim saves the entire crew of the Voyager with a message from the future and HE STILL CAN'T GET A PROMOTION?

The Harry Kim who saved the ship erased himself from existence to do so. We will morn his loss and honor his sacrifice by posthumously promoting him to LT.

The Harry Kim who's alive today is a different person and hasn't earned that promotion, but now knows where the bar is set.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

The Harry Kim who's alive today is a different person and hasn't earned that promotion, but now knows where the bar is set. from an alternate Voyager so not technically part of the crew and just living in fear of the moment Janeway murders him to save two other crew members

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Arivia posted:

Just got to Q-Who in my rewatch. Jeez they sell the Borg real well. And that baby in the crèche is just as terrifying as I remember 25 years later.

I liked that they wanted to use a real baby but like, you can't make a baby sit in a makeup chair. It's probably illegal in some way to smear the baby with prosthetics and face paint. So baby gets a little borg hat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

womb with a view posted:

I liked that they wanted to use a real baby but like, you can't make a baby sit in a makeup chair. It's probably illegal in some way to smear the baby with prosthetics and face paint. So baby gets a little borg hat.

And the baby is just laughing and giggling along, which makes the final take even more horrifying. It’s happy to be borgified.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arivia posted:

It’s happy to be borgified.

Man, I would be too. Never have to worry about unemployment, debt, healthcare, or retirement. :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Q Who borg were presented as a unique species that didn't really borgify anyone, though, they just assimilated technology. So the baby-to-Borg pipeline is all they really know.

Star Trek always had a hard time selling the horror of the Borg imo. Voyager hosed it up even more, but TNG had trouble too. I don't even totally blame the writers, because it's a really hard problem to explain what it means to lose "individuality" while still existing in a way that lets you experience things and remember the experience if you get de-Borged.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Then Unimatrix Zero came along and showed us a bit of what the Collective supposedly looks like "on the inside" and you're all "uh.. so you don't actually lose your individuality, you just kinda hang out in a crowded online chatroom for eternity until your body dies or someone de-Borgs you?"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

8one6 posted:

The Harry Kim who saved the ship erased himself from existence to do so. We will morn his loss and honor his sacrifice by posthumously promoting him to LT.

The Harry Kim who's alive today is a different person and hasn't earned that promotion, but now knows where the bar is set.

lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like putting the captain's quarters two meters away from a phaser bank is just asking for trouble.

who's holding up the drat lift

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 2, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I feel like putting the captain's quarters two meters away from a phaser bank is just asking for trouble.

In the age of sail the captain's cabin typically included two loaded cannons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

who's holding up the drat lift

Never stop this project, it looks good as hell.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Drone posted:

Then Unimatrix Zero came along and showed us a bit of what the Collective supposedly looks like "on the inside" and you're all "uh.. so you don't actually lose your individuality, you just kinda hang out in a crowded online chatroom for eternity until your body dies or someone de-Borgs you?"

What I don't get is why they didn't just use the Locutus template and roll from there. Borg hijack your body, but your higher functions stay more-or-less intact because of technobabble and you're basically eternally enslaved while still conscious. Throw in some stuff about how you "hear" the collective all the time so that half the people you pull out are just completely insane if they've been jacked in for long enough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cannons don't work near barionic radiation

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

What I don't get is why they didn't just use the Locutus template and roll from there. Borg hijack your body, but your higher functions stay more-or-less intact because of technobabble and you're basically eternally enslaved while still conscious. Throw in some stuff about how you "hear" the collective all the time so that half the people you pull out are just completely insane if they've been jacked in for long enough.

Well at least they did that last in Picard - all of the XBs were locked in mental trauma and needed significant therapy just to get to basic communication.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Well at least they did that last in Picard - all of the XBs were locked in mental trauma and needed significant therapy just to get to basic communication.

Wasn't that because Romulans proved to be specifically hosed up by the assimilation and de-assimilation process because they all harbored THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE in their subconscious or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paradoxish posted:

Q Who borg were presented as a unique species that didn't really borgify anyone, though, they just assimilated technology. So the baby-to-Borg pipeline is all they really know.

Star Trek always had a hard time selling the horror of the Borg imo.

The best Borg horror bit is that 90 seconds in First Contact where they’re just chopping up the Enterprise crew.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Drone posted:

Wasn't that because Romulans proved to be specifically hosed up by the assimilation and de-assimilation process because they all harbored THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE in their subconscious or something?

Yes, but I believe most of the former borg weren't Romulan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I just realised that another trend with background kitbash ships is they'd usually be unimaginatively named after a town or place somewhere in America (probably where the episode's writer grew up or took a holiday when he was five or something). And here we have the California-Class USS Cerritos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the whole point of Unimatrix Zero was that it was a glitch in the Collective that allowed individuals to retain their individuality despite being in the Collective. I don't think that was supposed to be what the whole Collective was like. In other episodes it's implied that it's more like locked-in syndrome where you can see what is going on but you can't do anything (I think Picard says this after BoBW).

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought the whole point of Unimatrix Zero was that it was a glitch in the Collective that allowed individuals to retain their individuality despite being in the Collective. I don't think that was supposed to be what the whole Collective was like. In other episodes it's implied that it's more like locked-in syndrome where you can see what is going on but you can't do anything (I think Picard says this after BoBW).

I like the idea that "Picard" introduced (or maybe it was Voyager) that the collective is so intoxicating you don't want to leave. Something about that is scarier to me than being held hostage in your body.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I like the idea that "Picard" introduced (or maybe it was Voyager) that the collective is so intoxicating you don't want to leave. Something about that is scarier to me than being held hostage in your body.
I don't remember this at all, are you sure?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember this at all, are you sure?

It was when Seven was afraid that she wouldn't want to leave the Collective when she temporarily became Borg Queen

I think of it as a logical extension of Internet addiction

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, I mean being queen is likely a different situation than just being a drone.

Can't say I really cared for that fully anyways since the only way the queen made sense to me is that it was a manifestation of the collective will. You can't just insert a different queen, it doesn't work that way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Hah, I just realised that another trend with background kitbash ships is they'd usually be unimaginatively named after a town or place somewhere in America (probably where the episode's writer grew up or took a holiday when he was five or something). And here we have the California-Class USS Cerritos.

I won't hear this slander against the New Orleans Class!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The New York-class USS Rochester limps back into drydock once again, having made it nearly as far as the Oort cloud before experiencing catastrophic economic failure

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

MikeJF posted:

Murica-Class!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I imagine it is being just that, a complete loss of individuality.

You're still able to think and communicate, but you are so subsumed into the collective that there is no distinction between what your thoughts are versus the ones that have come from others. It's being swept up into a crowd. Everyone has had times when they get swept up in the moment, for the Borg that moment just never ends.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brick Card posted:

Murica-Class!

That little nub sticking out of the nacelle irrationally irritates me. Even more than the obvious Constitution neck stuck between two Galaxy parts :argh:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

That little nub sticking out of the nacelle irrationally irritates me. Even more than the obvious Constitution neck stuck between two Galaxy parts :argh:

I always wanted to see inside rooms in the neck, given they would be small enough to have windows on both sides of the room.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

Yeah what's with the nub, did they forget to saw the neck tenon flush after inserting it?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Turns out that poo poo's actually functional, it's a tiny deflector dish:

And the neck is from the Constellation and contains its Connie refit-style torpedo bays, plus one of the Constellation's phaser cannons on the saucer there. What a daffy little frankenship

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just imagine that thing spinning wildly out of control any time they try to move forward.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Turns out that poo poo's actually functional, it's a tiny deflector dish:

I'm the deflector pushing interstellar particles away from the Bussard Scoop as it tries to pull them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bull3964 posted:

Well, I mean being queen is likely a different situation than just being a drone.

Can't say I really cared for that fully anyways since the only way the queen made sense to me is that it was a manifestation of the collective will. You can't just insert a different queen, it doesn't work that way.

It wasn't just herself that Seven was worried about :

Seven: We could reactivate, reconnect the transceivers. Be a kind of micro-Collective of just the Borg on this cube. Coordinate their movements. Deploy them against the Romulan troops.
Elnor: That sounds amazing. Do that.
Seven: Assimilate them. Invade their minds. Suppress their identities. Enslave them. Again.
Elnor: You can release them when we win.
Seven: They won't want to be released. And I ... I might not want to release them.