Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It seems like the Nebula was the new iteration of the Miranda: A reliable workhorse built from off the shelf parts that could remain in service for a hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

It seems like the Nebula was the new iteration of the Miranda: A reliable workhorse built from off the shelf parts that could remain in service for a hundred years.

I want to see the Starfleet Corps of Engineers novel about being the last person in the galaxy certified to work on Mirandas and being incredibly absurdly in demand when some fifty year old patch job that just got the crew safely out of the way of Klingons falls apart.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Apparently this was the concept art.

Star Trek Online did a ship based on that years ago but changed it more from concept and honestly I think did it better.

Like, it actually has a shape. When STO does a concept better than the TV show it's kinda sad.

The underside of the "saucer" is just a flat surface :wtc:

Powered Descent posted:

It's a hatchback. Can't honestly call smaller than the Galaxy-class sedan, but it's more compact.

The Nebula was originally conceived of as being substantially smaller, but at some point they got lazy and just said "eh, gently caress it, Nebula uses the same saucer as the Galaxy".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

It's a hatchback. Can't honestly call smaller than the Galaxy-class sedan, but it's more compact.

Two thoughts:

1 - I wonder if that saucer can separate.
2 - I feel sorry for the poor bastards who live in the secondary hull, with an ace view of the underside of the saucer, inside of the pylon, and are staring straight into the glowing engines all night.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's really jarring when you see the bridge of the Nebula. It gets a tiny rear end bridge for having Galaxy saucer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's a different angle, but I feel like the Sutherland comes across as substantially smaller in this shot than the Enterprise.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If only the galaxy class had a round saucer like ambassador, with 2 refit nacelles and in darker shades of grey or early tos white...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Senor Tron posted:

These robots look cheesy and cheap and I'm pretty sure that was Johnny 5's arm but I loving love this premise of the AI from two races still fighting decades after their makers have died.

Angry Salami posted:

I kinda like how cheap they look - it sells the idea that these aren't Data, they're some crappy automatons that don't have enough flexibility in their programing to abandon their pointless war.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is actually fairly close to the plot of the game Nier Automata, complete with cheesey-looking robots
I mean "The Song of El Alamein" is from the 70s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All this ship talk makes me wish the Eaglemoss ships were in the same scale (shuttles, etc, not withstanding)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

All this ship talk makes me wish the Eaglemoss ships were in the same scale (shuttles, etc, not withstanding)
Can't wait for the like-scaled Eaglemoss V'ger!

8one6
May 20, 2012

VOY rewatch log, Stardate: The longest June and July on Record point two.

S4 e8 & e9 Year of Hell
Probably one of the more solid two parters because they were written and produced at the same time. I want to say it's a shame that it wasn't the overarching plot of the season but that would have just made the reset at the end worse.

S10 Random Thoughts
"Hey kids wanna buy some drugs violent thoughts?"
Meh episode.

S11 Concerning Flight
This is a fun episode and I like John Rhys-Davies as DaVinci.

S12 Mortal Coil
It's a shame Ethan Phillips got stuck with Neelix because he can act his rear end off when the episode calls for it. This is the "good Troi episode" for Neelix.

E13 Waking Moments
Kim's nightmare is someone watching while he makes out with Seven of Nine.

Other stuff happens but that's the only takeaway. Skip it if you decide to also watch the show again.

E14 Message in a Bottle
The Doctor gets a very away Away Mission and needs the help of a real Dick to save the day.

It's a Doctor episode, those are always pretty good, and it has the kickin' rad starship I designed in middle school that is the fastest and has the most guns and is also three ships in one!

E15 Hunters
Voyager's email gets stuck at the ISP so they take matters into their own hands.
The introduction of the Hirogen was a bit meh and it's a shame they never do anything else with the relay network that's 100,000 years old. I'm going to fanfic and say the dinosaur people were the ones who built it.

E16 Prey
"We paid for the sets and costumes, were getting our money's worth out of them damnit."
An easily skippable episode where the only thing of any minor significance is someone telling Janeway no for the first time.

E17 Retrospect
This is the false sexual assault allegations episode. I decided to skip this one.

E18 & 19 The Killing Game
" Hey, what if Klingons fought Nazis?"
"Yeah, that's cool, but why?"
"Time tra..."
"And don't say time travel."
"Holodeck malfunction?"
"Also those Hirogen costumes were expensive, can we use those again?"
"... Sure, I guess."
"Ok, great. Oh, the schedule looks a little off so we're going to make it a two-parter, so really make sure you put some effort into this one."

Edit: I'm pretty sure the French village is the same outdoor set they filmed The Good Place on.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 7, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you didn't like seeing a Klingon run through a Nazi with a bat'leth I must ask why you hate fun :colbert:

8one6
May 20, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

If you didn't like seeing a Klingon run through a Nazi with a bat'leth I must ask why you hate fun :colbert:

I'll watch that all goddamn day I just think the Hirogen suck.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

The Ambassador is neat, I wish we'd seen some derivatives of it in the Constitution-Miranda manner. Didn't care for the Yamaguchi modifications though.

Unused Pegasus design. I'm surprised I've never seen a fan render.

Although I did just see this similar one

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What an attractive and iconic silhouette :geno:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Wonder if miranda flaws are still in the design

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Unused Pegasus design. I'm surprised I've never seen a fan render.

Although I did just see this similar one

I propose the name Ambabula class.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Senor Tron posted:

Two thoughts:

2 - I feel sorry for the poor bastards who live in the secondary hull, with an ace view of the underside of the saucer, inside of the pylon, and are staring straight into the glowing engines all night.

I wonder if the little hump thing above the saucer can separate. Maybe they could do a little multi-vector attack mode thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder if the little hump thing above the saucer can separate. Maybe they could do a little multi-vector attack mode thing.

We saw like three different versions of the pod, I think the idea was meant to be that there could be different pods for different roles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

We saw like three different versions of the pod, I think the idea was meant to be that there could be different pods for different roles.

Memory Alpha agrees: Atop the primary hull was a superstructure which could support a variety of modules, such as the inclusion of a triangular platform, fitted with torpedo launchers, an oval platform, or additional warp nacelles. (TNG: "Redemption II", "The Wounded", "Unification I")

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They should have made the Pegasus a Constellation class.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

They should have made the Pegasus a Constellation class.

If I recall the model wasn't usable for miniature work after season two or so in TNG for some reason.

8one6 posted:

Edit: I'm pretty sure the French village is the same outdoor set they filmed The Good Place on.

Probably. The Good Place filmed on the European village backlot where they once shot Frankenstein and Dracula, that set's been in use for nearly a century now.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 7, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

If I recall the model wasn't usable for miniature work after season two or so in TNG for some reason.

It was actually in Season 5's "Redemption II."

Apparently the model still exists and wasn't auctioned off. CBS still owns it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

McSpanky posted:

In my head canon the Nebulas are reinforced for planetary landings, per the stocky rearrangement of the main components and the thick spoiler piece to shift the center of gravity so the saucer doesn't tip the ship over.

Hey, that sort of makes sense since it was used for evacuating people from the crashed Enterprise-D in Generations. Maybe it's routinely used in groundside rescue or salvage operations in case the transporter isn't viable for some reason.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
All Federation ships should have been made to look like the Constitution's original design that the Enterprise Original/A/B/C/D look like, and the Miranda really f'd it up. Anyone who disagrees can fight me. :armscrossed:

Federation CARES about its crews, so that's why the entire saucer is meant to be a giant life boat away from the explosive engine. Every ship since should logically be like this. Even the original Constitution class has landing feet on the underside for the saucer. What's radder is that in space you don't need massive support struts so a tiny little neck is all that you need to hold this poo poo together, something the Excellisor was laff about.

I know they wanted to make something that looked drastically different in ST2 (while also saving as much money as possible), and then the Sternbach era and beyond (gently caress Eaves) just made things look as angular as possible and no longer really had the detachable saucer look anymore. (and then there is Discovery with worthless saucer voids and pizza spinnaz)

Kind of reminds me about how the original movie-Bird of Prey was meant to be a Romulan design but thanks to cutting so much story out of ST3 it forever became Klingon.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 7, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I watched a much better TOS episode last night (technically it was a rewatch but it has been forever)-

The Enterprise Incident- This feels like a bigger episode in scope of the type we see in TNG or DS9. The Romulans get fleshed out a bit more and the story is pretty strong, with Kirk having to fake being stressed and erratic in order to further his secret plan to steal a cloaking device. I do think that the whole Romulan Commander/Spock thing takes up a bit too much of the episode, but it's a nice tense episode with some good worldbuilding and character development.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That last bit never made sense to me because the design still looked distinctly Klingon with the long neck, command up front, and broad bird like rear. The BoP looks like an evolution of the D7.

I mean, you could go with the TOS explanation that they are using Klingon designs, but that would still make it a Klingon ship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I always thought it was weird that the BoP was intended as Romulan too. It doesn't fit at all, but it feels very Klingon.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

8one6 posted:

E17 Retrospect
This is the false sexual assault allegations episode. I decided to skip this one.

I just watched this one for the first time a couple days ago and holy poo poo did you make the right decision. That was awful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I dub this design the Attache class.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Future Trek ships should be literal sail ships in space because

1) They will have a mastery of meta-materials which will make such constructions trivial
2) The officer class is obsessed with olde time poo poo

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I’m going to post this again.

Surviving Edged Vessels, a classic holo-VHS at the academy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

golden bells posted:

Surviving Edged Vessels, a classic holo-VHS at the academy

"I'm not gonna die in no Neutral Zone."

*gets sliced up with a bat'leth hidden underneath a motorcycle gas cap*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's my head canon for the Nebula and how it's justified to have its design when the Galaxy exists.

First, we've seen a version of the Nebula with engine nacelles in the top position. This is the 4 nacelle configuration with the upper two nacelles being smaller.

So, I'm saying this is the first version of the Nebula. Basically, it's a test-bed for the new tech in the upcoming Galaxy class. The smaller two nacelles were originally meant as a secondary propulsion system if the new nacelles failed. It also helped them balance the warp geometry for the new drive system. Otherwise, they were testing the new saucer superstructure and the new deflector dish. The Nebula is capable of a saucer separation, but only as an emergency measure and mating the two pieces back together requires spacedock.

Things worked well, enough for them to start building Galaxy Class starships. However, they had this already completed and validated design.

So, they adopted the full secondary hull of the Galaxy Class with the new nacelles in the compact mounted position. However, the original design could feed two smaller warp nacelles mounted dorsal rear of the ship, so those plasma conduits were repurposed to feed a high powered mission pod.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

golden bells posted:

Surviving Edged Vessels

Sounds like a long-lost, recently-discovered Culture novel

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sounds like a long-lost, recently-discovered Culture novel

I think I played that Guided By Voices song in the BtSX E3 alpha, right? It was the level with the really lovely archvile respawns midway through?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Two thoughts:

toot toot

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

toot toot

Chinless Republican senator: the ship

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SS Jacuzzi Smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

toot toot

The USS Derp

They separated the saucer, and the crew wouldn't reattach it out of shame.