Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Expanse did a pretty good job of depicting ships lurking with the menace at very long range.

With modern production values and with the end result of the ship completely coming to pieces. Zero of the SFX shots in that battle were really possible in 1989, especially on a TV budget.

Ohh, here's a new enemy that the federation has never encountered before but we aren't going to show them in the same frame. Here's a cube thing with absolutely zero way for the audience to determine how big it is compared to our heroes.

Also, it's not like the Expanse hasn't done it the other way either. Compare that to "Battle of Thoth Station" which was at even closer range than this.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I feel like long-range combat and ship interactions on a TV show would work if it focuses on the same factions week after week and the scope of the story is limited. But if your heroes are going to be encountering new ships and races every episode or more, the visual shorthand of just seeing two ships next to one another is probably worth the suspension of disbelief in order to cut to the heart of the story.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

One of my favourite non-trek bridge designs is this concept for the Nostromo in Alien by Ron Cobb. It’s nicely asymmetrical and multi-level, and I love that windowed section.

Yeah, this really does it for me.

Man, I love sci fi concept art so much. When it's good it can be so evocative, often more than the finished product

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pretty much nothing involving ships seeing each other in Trek makes sense beyond the need for the audience to instantly get what's going on.

[The Enterprise is travelling at warp six]
Spock: A vessel is approaching at warp seven, directly ahead.
Kirk: On screen.
[A ship appears on screen to be pootling towards the Enterprise at about 35mph, despite its closing velocity being 559 times the speed of light]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care how much praise this thread lavishes on that giant open office TNG bridge concept, I just can’t stand it and I’m so glad it never made it to production. It’s hideous as gently caress, it looks like the waiting room of a doctor’s office, and the conference table is some pure 80’s nonsense that would have instantly dated the show. It’s all the worst excesses of early-70s sci-fi concepts that somehow survived to 1986/87. It’s like a rejected set design from loving Logan’s Run.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

it looks like the waiting room of a doctor’s office,

pretty TNG tbh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

That original TNG two-level bridge concept was exactly that. Nice open plan, vertical space, etc. Plus that massive window :allears:

No offense but this would have been awful, TNG already looks like a loving hotel mariott

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

No offense but this would have been awful, TNG already looks like a loving hotel mariott

The Love Boat: The Next Generation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Senator Vreenak: Well, Sisko, I made it- despite your directions.

Captain Sisko: Ah. Senator Vreenak. Welcome. - I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable Holorecording of the Dominion conspiring against the Romulans.

Senator Vreenak: Yeah.

Captain Sisko: Oh, egads! My clandestine scheme is ruined. But what if....I were to purchase a forged Cardassian Datarod and disguise it as evidence of the Dominion planning to invade Romulus? Delightfully devilish, Sisko.

*Deep Space Nine title intro*

Senator Vreenak: Siskooooo!

Captain Sisko: Senator, I was just- uh, just stretching my calves on the Promenade. Isometric exercise. Care to join me?

Senator Vreenak: Why is Elim Garak coming out of your office, Sisko?

Captain Sisko: Uh- Oh. That isn't Garak. It's a hologram. A hologram from the Holorecording I'm providing to you. Mmm. Holorecording.

Captain Sisko: Whew. Superintendent, I hope you're ready for conscience shocking Genuine Cardassian Data rod.

Senator Vreenak: I thought you said you were providing a Holorecording.

Captain Sisko: Oh, no. I said Genuine Cardassian Data Rod. That's what I call Holorecordings.

Senator Vreenak: You call Holorecordings Cardassian Data Rods?

Captain Sisko: Yes. It's a regional dialect.

Senator Vreenak: Uh-huh. Uh, what region?

Captain Sisko: Uh, upstate Alpha Quadrant.

Senator Vreenak: Really. Well, I'm from Romulus, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "Genuine Cardassian Data Rod."

Captain Sisko: Oh, not on Romulus. No. It's an Earth expression.

Senator Vreenak: I see. You know, these data rods are quite similar to the ones Grathon Tolar has been forging.

Captain Sisko: Oh, no. Patented Cardassian Proprietary Recording. Old family recipe.

Senator Vreenak: For Data Rods.

Captain Sisko: Yes.

Senator Vreenak: Yes. And you call them genuine despite the fact that it is an obvious forgery.

Captain Sisko: Ye- You know, the- One thing I should- - Excuse me for one second.

Senator Vreenak: Of course.

Captain Sisko: Oh well, that was wonderful. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.

Senator Vreenak: Yes. I should be- Good Lord! What is happening in there?

*The Senators ship explodes*

Elim Garak: A hidden bomb on his shuttle.

Captain Sisko: Uh- a hidden bomb at this time of year? at this time of day? in the middle of a galaxy-spanning war?

Elim Garak: Yes.

Captain Sisko: May I report it?

Elim Garak: No.

Romulan Empire: Sisko! The Federation is baiting us into a war!

Captain Sisko: No, Romulus. It's just the Cardassians and Dominion planning an invasion.

Elim Garak: Well, Sisko, you are an odd fellow but I must say you falsify a good evidence.

Romulan Empire: Help! Help!

I posted literally this in the other thread a couple weeks ago

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I posted literally this in the other thread a couple weeks ago

lmfao what the

link?

I totally might have memory holed it, if so sorry

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

McSpanky posted:

The Love Boat: The Next Generation

they did that. frasier was in it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t care how much praise this thread lavishes on that giant open office TNG bridge concept, I just can’t stand it and I’m so glad it never made it to production. It’s hideous as gently caress, it looks like the waiting room of a doctor’s office, and the conference table is some pure 80’s nonsense that would have instantly dated the show. It’s all the worst excesses of early-70s sci-fi concepts that somehow survived to 1986/87. It’s like a rejected set design from loving Logan’s Run.
It's more of an artistic statement rather than just "control room! put some extra holograms around! gray metal and screens everywhere," which is the idiom that will be used for all spaceships or spaceship-equivalent items until eventually there's a big impactful thing that does differently.

Like what would be more interesting is if for things like Picard they extrapolated out from what are the current trends in interior design etc. Like if there was a living wall and they made a point that periodically it would be the night shift and the bridge's lights would be substantially dimmer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao what the

link?

I totally might have memory holed it, if so sorry

I was wrong it wasn't there other thread it was this thread lol. A little bit different though

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781992&pagenumber=1851&perpage=40#post505901117

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 10, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

periodically it would be the night shift and the bridge's lights would be substantially dimmer.

It would have been interesting (still would with Strange New Worlds) to see them really embrace the idea of different shifts. Most of the time in the series all the senior crew are on shift at the same time apart from when it suits the story to have one of them doing an overnight shift. Would really like to see a depiction of different shifts where there are different characters and dynamics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I’d stretch over a chair with her, if you know what I mean.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

It would have been interesting (still would with Strange New Worlds) to see them really embrace the idea of different shifts. Most of the time in the series all the senior crew are on shift at the same time apart from when it suits the story to have one of them doing an overnight shift. Would really like to see a depiction of different shifts where there are different characters and dynamics.

It's TNG that does the "dim the lights on the bridge when night shift starts" thing right? It's a tiny touch but I always liked it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Senor Tron posted:

Robot Chicken is way ahead of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Tron posted:

I remember Peter David's New Frontier books did some of this

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OJx4VB9iQg

They're all so good.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I just hit season 3 of Enterprise, and the new theme.

It's still bad. Adding a jaunty guitar riff to it isn't gonna save this boring country song. Even if it is from pre 9/11 when country was still good.

E: I've been trying to watch everything in airing order (which mostly hasn't mattered since Voyager ended) which means that Insurrection is next. I am uh. Not looking forward to it based on what this thread has said. I just hope Hulu has it so I don't have to try and pay money to see it.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 10, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's TNG that does the "dim the lights on the bridge when night shift starts" thing right? It's a tiny touch but I always liked it.

Doesn't make any sense though, because it's not like you want the crew on the bridge to be acting any differently during night than during the day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Senor Tron posted:

Doesn't make any sense though, because it's not like you want the crew on the bridge to be acting any differently during night than during the day.

Probably has more to do with maintaining a circadian rythym so everybody on the ship knows when it's "nighttime" and "daytime".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sash! posted:

So....Ikea?

!! THIS ITEM REPLICATES IN TWO BOXES !!

Now I'm picturing furniture designs optimized for standard food box-sized replications, so everything comes as an endless pile of 2-foot pieces that you snap together like puzzle pieces, and then at the end you push a button and all the self-sealing stem bolts fuse together and turn it into a single solid object.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Quick question partially because I'm doing a STA campaign and have never been clear on this. When ships are battling and confronting each other, generally how close are they actually?

Like them being only like a hundred miles away or like the distance between the Earth and the Moon are seem equally valid.

In visuals they're always extremely close, but the dialogue generally leans much more towards 10,000 km to 100,000 km distances, even in TOS.

Gonz posted:

Probably has more to do with maintaining a circadian rythym so everybody on the ship knows when it's "nighttime" and "daytime".

Similarly, design inspired by current trends would probably have fake environment holo-windows in all the cabins with day/night cycles synced to the ship's clock, so you can wake up with a Paris sunrise or whatever, rather than the blank walls for interior cabins and space windows only for exterior cabins.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

Similarly, design inspired by current trends would probably have fake environment holo-windows in all the cabins with day/night cycles synced to the ship's clock, so you can wake up with a Paris sunrise or whatever, rather than the blank walls for interior cabins and space windows only for exterior cabins.

"Current health assessments recommend no more than two hours exposure to fictional holoenvironments per day to prevent reality dissociation syndrome"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Knowing the Enterprise holodeck circuits, the holograms would become sentient and attempt to depressurize the ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, the We Are Borg moment in Picard reminds me of one of the best bits of Torchwood except where the Torchwood bit was actually intimidating and set the tone the Borg were immediately neutered out of the episode.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 10, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dimmed lights on the bridge look great. Every time Voyager went to red alert, and the lights dipped, it all looked much better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To a degree, but the permadarkness of the bridges on Discovery doesn't quite have the same effect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
See, to me, this isn’t dark at all. It’s not TNG bright, but it’s hardly dark.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

curiousTerminal posted:

E: I've been trying to watch everything in airing order (which mostly hasn't mattered since Voyager ended) which means that Insurrection is next. I am uh. Not looking forward to it based on what this thread has said. I just hope Hulu has it so I don't have to try and pay money to see it.

If you expect it to be horrible, you'll probably find it to be totally fine. It's fine. It's just nothing special.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MikeJF posted:

There were a few iterations on that: I remember a webcomic drew one:

My favourite part of the concept art is the giant wrap-around display, definitely.

I'm the skant on the far right.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I was wrong it wasn't there other thread it was this thread lol. A little bit different though

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781992&pagenumber=1851&perpage=40#post505901117

They're both really excellent.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

See, to me, this isn’t dark at all. It’s not TNG bright, but it’s hardly dark.

It's normally lit in season 2, but was generally a fair bit darker in season 1 while Lorca was still in command.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

God the "Terrans can't stand bright light" thing was so fuckin' dumb.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drone posted:

God the "Terrans can't stand bright light" thing was so fuckin' dumb.

Everytime someone wants to blame Fuller for every one of Discovery's issues I think of things like that they could of easily changed but decided to leave in.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A thing that bums me out about Disco S1 was that they never actually followed-up on the actual Lorca. IIRC he gets a throwaway line about how he probably didn't get very far in the MU, but that's it. It sounds like he would have been a hell of an actual Starfleet captain, and who could say no to more Jason Isaacs?

In fact, I feel like I remember reading an interview where Isaacs himself was like "hell yeah I'd love to come back and play real Lorca"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That always seemed to me as an ideal opportunity for a cameo setup. If Discovery S3 does well, maybe we'll see it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn’t the implication that he would have swapped places with Mirror Lorca on an exploding ship?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn’t the implication that he would have swapped places with Mirror Lorca on an exploding ship?

It's been awhile since I saw the episode, but I think it's stated (or heavily implied) that the Buran's explosion wasn't something that happened as a result of whatever anomaly brought Lorca to the prime universe, instead it was because Mirror Lorca caused it after the Buran crew found out about him. Or something.

Edit: oh nope, I guess I made that up according to Memory Alpha. And the truth is even dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

curiousTerminal posted:

I just hit season 3 of Enterprise, and the new theme.

It's still bad. Adding a jaunty guitar riff to it isn't gonna save this boring country song. Even if it is from pre 9/11 when country was still good.

S3 of Enterprise is generally very good with a few notable stinkers. S4 is even better, especially the series finale - Demons/Terra Prime.

The extra episode after that is a fever dream we don’t talk about.