Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

reporting and blocking is for cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

An insane mind posted:

You know you can just mute the thread and you do not have to keep coming back to say how much you hate all this book talk.

Meh, I'm good. No masters and all. I expected at least a prob for my whining by now but I ain't no snitch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Epic High Five posted:

Posters ITT have clearly demonstrated a lack of self-control and need some 6ers to teach them discipline

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Meh, I'm good. No masters and all. I expected at least a prob for my whining by now but I ain't no snitch.

complaining about book discussion is just as a valid as book discussion. Believe me I take no joy in the Foundation arc but do believe it to be a public service to steer people away from them and towards better things when I can. 1000 pages of reading about how an authorial self-insert old man is boning down with a young nubile psychic deus ex machina changed me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Posters ITT have clearly demonstrated a lack of self-control and need some 6ers to teach them discipline

self-control is also for cowards

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Delaying gratification is just a sick fetish, sometimes called "edging"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i hereby sentence all the book barn derailers to one minute of mandatory viewing this milquetoast centrist video of regretful trump voters
https://twitter.com/RVAT2020/status/1281588991611908096

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Post Trump telling voters that they will die under Trump here

https://twitter.com/DePoolreiziger/status/1280420580848738304

e: no idea what's up with the original tweet with the hat; I found the video on a search for trump voter tweets with regretful language

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

the only people I have blocked are arfjason and powercrazy

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Epic High Five posted:

complaining about book discussion is just as a valid as book discussion. Believe me I take no joy in the Foundation arc but do believe it to be a public service to steer people away from them and towards better things when I can. 1000 pages of reading about how an authorial self-insert old man is boning down with a young nubile psychic deus ex machina changed me

The first 3 are mostly fine and I think the core takeaway is that humans are kind of lovely and left to our own devices we will transition into decadence then decay. The context also matters because of when and how it was originally written. They're good books for the time but the genre has moved significantly past the point where the foundation books would be viewed in the same light if published today. After the trilogy they get so bonkers and stupid and the dragon woman being revealed as being a robot was so sloppily telegraphed that I laughed out loud when the shocking reveal was done completely straight. Also, it was important to the story to explicitly know that seldom hosed. Pebbles was good and has some interesting if slightly uninspired philosophy that was much more interesting than whatever the loving Gaia plot line was about.

Le Guin is great and the left hand of darkness is just one of the best weird SciFi books you'll read. Everything in the hainish cycle is lovely.

And yes, if anyone hasn't read everything banks even did they're sorely missing out. It's difficult to get people into it because the first entry, consider phlebas, is probably the 1st or 2nd weakest of the series. Player of games and especially use of weapons are just master works in every conceivable way (good ship name).

The problem with old SciFi is that it strongly reflects the material society of the time as well as their projections of the future. This is how the the late 80s and early 90 hellworld led to books like snow crash. Beyond Stephenson being the most smug about his own cleverness rear end in a top hat of authors, the bleak dystopian future was a reflection of how society was going at the time (a other reason why banks and old star trek are such a breath of fresh air).

There are plenty of good books from any era, but you need to read them within the context of the society and state of the genre they were written in. Starship troopers (the inferior book, not the perfect movie) is mostly an old fascist sex weirdo loosely basing a book around his insane politics and sex fantasies but it also directly influence the direction of SciFi for generations to come.

Also, The Forever War is severely underrated and anyone here that hasn't read it need to grab a copy (and yes, I think a nebula and Hugo winner is underrated).

Anyway, ready player two is coming out so just read that if you want to feel better about Asimov shaping a juvenile genre and setting the tone for how much worse sequels can progressively get.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

The first 3 are mostly fine and I think the core takeaway is that humans are kind of lovely and left to our own devices we will transition into decadence then decay. The context also matters because of when and how it was originally written. They're good books for the time but the genre has moved significantly past the point where the foundation books would be viewed in the same light if published today. After the trilogy they get so bonkers and stupid and the dragon woman being revealed as being a robot was so sloppily telegraphed that I laughed out loud when the shocking reveal was done completely straight. Also, it was important to the story to explicitly know that seldom hosed. Pebbles was good and has some interesting if slightly uninspired philosophy that was much more interesting than whatever the loving Gaia plot line was about.

Le Guin is great and the left hand of darkness is just one of the best weird SciFi books you'll read. Everything in the hainish cycle is lovely.

And yes, if anyone hasn't read everything banks even did they're sorely missing out. It's difficult to get people into it because the first entry, consider phlebas, is probably the 1st or 2nd weakest of the series. Player of games and especially use of weapons are just master works in every conceivable way (good ship name).

The problem with old SciFi is that it strongly reflects the material society of the time as well as their projections of the future. This is how the the late 80s and early 90 hellworld led to books like snow crash. Beyond Stephenson being the most smug about his own cleverness rear end in a top hat of authors, the bleak dystopian future was a reflection of how society was going at the time (a other reason why banks and old star trek are such a breath of fresh air).

There are plenty of good books from any era, but you need to read them within the context of the society and state of the genre they were written in. Starship troopers (the inferior book, not the perfect movie) is mostly an old fascist sex weirdo loosely basing a book around his insane politics and sex fantasies but it also directly influence the direction of SciFi for generations to come.

Also, The Forever War is severely underrated and anyone here that hasn't read it need to grab a copy (and yes, I think a nebula and Hugo winner is underrated).

Anyway, ready player two is coming out so just read that if you want to feel better about Asimov shaping a juvenile genre and setting the tone for how much worse sequels can progressively get.

It's disappointing that so few totally bonkers books from the era were good. There's probably never been a book quite like The Rediscovery of Man, and while Lem was a lot less nutty he had some wild ideas he ran with incredibly well. The Forever War, The Lathe of Heaven, and Roadside Picnic are always the first 3 I recommend to people who want to get into sci-fi/fantasy but can't shake the notion that it's all pulp garbage.

Forever War is notable as the first book I'm aware of to endorse and lay out a path to literal fully automated luxury gay space communism and didn't even leave the reeducation camps for the straights unsaid

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

zegermans posted:

the only people I have blocked are arfjason and powercrazy

But how will you know the latest news about idiocracy, and its status as a documentary?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Post Trump telling voters that they will die under Trump here

https://twitter.com/DePoolreiziger/status/1280420580848738304

e: no idea what's up with the original tweet with the hat; I found the video on a search for trump voter tweets with regretful language

Why do those boomer memes always come out instantly blurry and artifacted all to hell? Do they print them out and then scan them in order to post to facebook?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Those books get worse and worse and worse as they go on.

It might be rose tinted glasses but I remember really liking Robots and Empire even though it was a thoroughly hamfisted way to force two series into the same universe.

The foundation later books and prequels though. yeesh.

Paradoxus
Nov 22, 2007
BOCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Since this thread has turned into SciFi chat, some suggestions,
The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.
Anything by Richard K. Morgan
Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
Remembrance of Earth's Past series by Cixin Liu
Walter Jon Williams
And of course William Gibson

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stainless steel rat books are pretty great (at least until the last few with his kids). Oh and read Honor Harrington if you wanna see a series start out almost half decent the take a rollercoaster nose dive to crazy town.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Epic High Five posted:

It's disappointing that so few totally bonkers books from the era were good. There's probably never been a book quite like The Rediscovery of Man, and while Lem was a lot less nutty he had some wild ideas he ran with incredibly well. The Forever War, The Lathe of Heaven, and Roadside Picnic are always the first 3 I recommend to people who want to get into sci-fi/fantasy but can't shake the notion that it's all pulp garbage.

Forever War is notable as the first book I'm aware of to endorse and lay out a path to literal fully automated luxury gay space communism and didn't even leave the reeducation camps for the straights unsaid

I loved The Forever War and The Lathe of Heaven, but have never heard of Roadside Picnic. Whelp, guess I know what I'm reading next.

Thanks, horribly depressing thread!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you're gonna read neuromance make sure you're smoking a looooooot of weed.

And three body problem is pretty great too. The seminal second book is legit great for a lot of reason but the final entry. Just. Wouldn't. loving. End. Like seriously, that poo poo ended 5 times before the pages ran out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe a Sci fi book thread would be in order because I'd love to talk about this poo poo but it's really not for this thread

E: I've also noticed a lot of random Sci fi discussions popping up all over the forum so a place to bundle it would work imo. Is there a thread I'm missing?

Son of Rodney has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jul 10, 2020

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

here's what i wish was posted more of in this thread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

came here to post that lol

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Son of Rodney posted:

Maybe a Sci fi book thread would be in order because I'd love to talk about this poo poo but it's really not for this thread

E: I've also noticed a lot of random Sci fi discussions popping up all over the forum so a place to bundle it would work imo. Is there a thread I'm missing?

Any future in this timeline is fiction.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I choose not to give Richard k Morgan money in any way. he's chosen to be extremely anti trans irl despite the content of his books lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

there's a whole scifi forum in fact

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

vyelkin posted:

there's a whole scifi forum in fact

How the hell did I never know about this, haha. Thanks man.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Son of Rodney posted:

If a thread by another name only talks about SciFi it's a SciFi thread.

And yes, I also yearn for a day when the something awful forums has some appropriate place to discuss SciFi and books in general. Oh well.

I nearly finished the Hyperion cantos recently. The prose is fine but oh man does this guy love space catholics and Mary Sues. It got bad before then but I had to stop and delete when Endymion just can't resist the urge to make out with the time travelling child. God those books got terrible quick. I'd still give a slightly chill endorsement for the first two, especially if you're up on your catholic lore

E - oh, and John Keats. Man does this fucker ever have a boner for John loving Keats.

Cocaine Bear has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Jul 10, 2020

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Cocaine Bear posted:

If a thread by another name only talks about SciFi it's a SciFi thread.

And yes, I also yearn for a day when the something awful forums has some appropriate place to discuss SciFi and books in general. Oh well.

I finished the Hyperion cantos recently. The prose is fine but oh man does this guy love space catholics and Mary Sues. I stopped when the Endymion just can't resist the urge to make out with the time travelling child. God those books got terrible quick. I'd still give a slightly chill endorsement for the first two, especially if you're up on your catholic lore.

Moderately fun fact on Hyperion. The planet Nightenhelser is named after the authors college friend (and one of my professors) Keith Nightenhelser. Since he taught in rural Indiana, the planet Nightenhelser is one entirely covered in corn.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Neat!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cocaine Bear posted:

Oh I just thought you were being affected by it. I've seen a poster spiral constantly in the Trump thread and was like maybe if I tell them to step away they can't be consumed by the book derail. I obviously misinterpreted, mea culpa

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Fifth Head of Cerberus is probably the best anticolonialist sci fi book so read that one

the whole thing not just the first story titled that

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

An insane mind posted:

Oh I just thought you were being affected by it. I've seen a poster spiral constantly in the Trump thread and was like maybe if I tell them to step away they can't be consumed by the book derail. I obviously misinterpreted, mea culpa

Nah, I'm just a bitch for structured anarchy. When I do have to step away for a while, threads like this help me try to see the humour in this dark dark world. Luckily SciFi also does that, so I'm embracing the chaos!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

The Fifth Head of Cerberus is probably the best anticolonialist sci fi book so read that one

the whole thing not just the first story titled that

got this on my list, bumping it up on this recommendation

I like collections of short stories, especially from good authors who like to experiment. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is The Birthday of the World by Le Guin, which contains the short story that has stuck with me more than any other, The Matter of Seggri. Close 2nd would be The Martian Chronicles

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

came here to post that lol

Everyone likes stories with a happy ending.

There was once a military vet Chud who believed that wearing masks was fake news....

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The egg by Andy weir and extras by Greg egan are also both excellent and have always stuck with me.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

got this on my list, bumping it up on this recommendation

I like collections of short stories, especially from good authors who like to experiment. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is The Birthday of the World by Le Guin, which contains the short story that has stuck with me more than any other, The Matter of Seggri. Close 2nd would be The Martian Chronicles

The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories calls your name. Wolfe is inconsistent but when he's at his peak he's unparalleled and that collection has many of his best short stories and novellas

Seggri is my face Le Guin story I think. I got so many Le Guin stories sitting on the shelf to read

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I still need to read crime and punishment, it's in my closet and it's haunting me. This thread is now also making me order Le Guin books :P

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Holy poo poo poo poo the gently caress up about your stupid nerd books.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Holy poo poo poo poo the gently caress up about your stupid nerd books.

hmm interesting demand coming from someone whose last post in this thread was about a book :thunk:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, get the gently caress out of our SciFi thread, ya hoser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Phew, that was close. We almost stopped talking about books we read in the past itt. Let's do Heinlein next! I'm sure someone here has a hot take on space fascism.

I've had multiple people get mad at me how Verhoeven "ruined" their precious Starship Troopers which was a totally awesome tale about space marines.

I appreciate those people identifying themselves. Verhoeven is massively under-appreciated.

Also all of the characters in Heinlein are just hilariously bad, I tried to read Number of the Beast and it is just drivel. And he does the "wise brilliant superman older man banging super hot women" thing in like 3 or 4 different books and it's the most obvious poo poo in the world

Jaxyon has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Jul 10, 2020