Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
well judging by other threads people are writing elaborate fan fix where he was actually woke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

That is legit one of the best movies ever made and that book is (genre influences aside) one of the dumbest, most transparently political turds ever published. Verhoven is a genius for taking that source material, spinning it completely on its head, and making that awesome satire.

Yeah he admitted Verhoven never finished the book and gave up due to the book being both boring + pro-fascism.

I rewatched Starship Troopers this week and it still holds up pretty well for things like the visual effects.

Plus the satire especially all the hilarious cheery "Everything is alright" bits from the fascist world government depicted in the movie is still relevant today for things like Coronavirus pandemic.

The US response to the pandemic is like the famous klendathu drop scene in the movie in which the mobile infantry go in smug and overconfident, then get a wrecked due to their arrogance.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

well judging by other threads people are writing elaborate fan fix where he was actually woke

Good luck getting woke from a dirt nap.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
That dude has a bunch of posts calling Michelle Obama a man, he ain't a loving ally. Rest in piss idiot.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Cocaine Bear posted:

Phew, that was close. We almost stopped talking about books we read in the past itt. Let's do Heinlein next! I'm sure someone here has a hot take on space fascism.
Travelling back in time and banging your own mom to own the libs

Epic High Five posted:

Forever War is notable as the first book I'm aware of to endorse and lay out a path to literal fully automated luxury gay space communism and didn't even leave the reeducation camps for the straights unsaid
Forever War among other things legit helped me beat homophobia. "Humanity gay so what" was pretty much a crack ping

Son of Rodney posted:

E: I've also noticed a lot of random Sci fi discussions popping up all over the forum so a place to bundle it would work imo. Is there a thread I'm missing?
maybe we're all just viral marketing for Dune 2020.

To bring it closer to the thread topic, Wired did an article titled Here’s What Sci-Fi Can Teach Us About Fascism that summarizes a Bruce Stirling interview/podcast episode(available on the page):

Bruce Stirling posted:

“If you don’t have a sense of wonder it’s like you’re dead inside,” he says. “But your sense of wonder can be used to trick you. You can have a sense of wonder over a thing that’s basically a conjurer’s trick, or a con job, or a rip-off.”

Bruce Stirling posted:

“There’s a kind of rhetorical trick that goes on in science fiction, and in fascism, that kind of says, ‘Don’t really worry about what this means for the guy next door,'” Sterling says. “That it’s so cool and amazing that you should just surrender yourself to the rapture of its fantastic-ness.”

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Slamhound posted:

Good luck getting woke from a dirt nap.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Slamhound posted:

What is it with this slob for some reason eliciting sympathy from the left? I’ve seen it all over twitter with some variation of “he was failed by his surroundings” or “it’s a shame he wasn’t educated.” That’s not how education works. if you educate a bigot you get an educated bigot. How many people did he infect because he is (or was lol!) a willfully belligerent fuckhead?

These motherfuckers are going to be slaughtering school children be the tens of thousands in a month.

It’s just weird to me how this mawkish sentimentality coagulated around a chud who is (or was lol!) indistinguishable from any other chud.

The left has a lot of theories regarding the political utility or inherent nature of the lumpen, so anybody who even just some seem to believe is lumpen will result in a more mixed response than if it were, say, a landlord cop

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Sausages posted:

Travelling back in time and becoming your own mom to own the libs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hopefully some of these people will be appearing in this thread soon.

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1281665469829742592

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1281992949434392578?s=19

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FMguru posted:

Hopefully some of these people will be appearing in this thread soon.

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1281665469829742592

i have no doubt that anyone who defiantly wore a mask in the white house would soon die from covid-19 because some sick gently caress at the WH would be willing to kill a person to show that masks don't work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

That dude has a bunch of posts calling Michelle Obama a man, he ain't a loving ally. Rest in piss idiot.

Also most alt right military vets need a trigger warning for anything BLM related and condone police brutality against protesters.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real. “This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr. Appleby said.

feels good man

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Come to my Russian roulette party, where we establish if there is a bullet in this revolver

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real. “This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr. Appleby said.

the most impressive dedication of one’s life to philosophical empiricism since the flat earth rocket engineer

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Party Boat posted:

Come to my Russian roulette party, where we establish if there is a bullet in this revolver

Even dumber.

It's a party to see if a bullet will actually hurt/kill you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grape posted:

Even dumber.

It's a party to see if a bullet will actually hurt/kill you.

.22 is so small and harmless I can shoot it in my mouth and *BANG*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, we should probably figure out once and for all if this virus that's killed a quarter million people is actually real.

Let's do some science on it by herding some people close together and get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

the internet has convinced all these people that they're among the smartest on the plant

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1282051524823117824

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Together forevermore.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hoo boy

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1282117207728836608?s=09

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I am so horned-up for richly deserved deaths.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wow, these past two days have been pretty productive on the 'chuds getting owned by covid' front:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1281959760078737408

https://abc3340.com/news/coronavirus/tuscaloosa-man-dies-of-covid-19-family-says-he-refused-to-wear-mask

quote:

Amy and Tyler Hinton say their father, Joe Hinton, thought COVID-19 was a hoax and didn't believe in wearing masks.

"He did not want to wear a mask, he did not think that it was a very big deal. He thought, like a lot of people, that it was being blown out of proportion," Amy said about her father.

Joe Hinton was 78-years-old and a diabetic, so his family urged him to take care of himself during the pandemic.

"He was like I'm not going to stop living my life, no matter what we did or said or begged him," Amy said.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Right on schedule lol

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Out of curiosity, is the advice that you (presumably) get following a positive COVID test legally binding? Like, if this person who went to a COVID party knowing they were positive, could they not be liable for the consequences of being there if they were told to self isolate?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mr Interweb posted:

wow, these past two days have been pretty productive on the 'chuds getting owned by covid' front:

The virus is at last revving up in red states, as well as purple states that have lots of lovely old chuds.
Texas, Arizona, Florida, sort of across the sun belt more generally.

Earlier it was really bad in like Washington and the Tri-State area. Not much fun.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Bucswabe posted:

Out of curiosity, is the advice that you (presumably) get following a positive COVID test legally binding? Like, if this person who went to a COVID party knowing they were positive, could they not be liable for the consequences of being there if they were told to self isolate?

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

He died the way he lived, ignorant and belligerent.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bucswabe posted:

there’s two answers to this. first, yes there is a Texas public health statute which defines charges and penalties for willfully exposing others to a contagion against their will or with malicious intent

second, even if it was a different judiciary you’d have an uphill climb trying to establish fault when the victim voluntarily attended the party while equally knowledgeable and derisive of the danger

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Mr Interweb posted:

Instead of being confined to a bunch of plant workers or people who live in poverty, or obviously people in New York, it's now starting to go through the entire populace, particularly in lovely red states, so it will definitely start affecting way more chuds than before.

It's going to be the one silver lining in what will be a horrific few months at a minimum.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LonsomeSon posted:

there’s two answers to this. first, yes there is a Texas public health statute which defines charges and penalties for willfully exposing others to a contagion against their will or with malicious intent

second, even if it was a different judiciary you’d have an uphill climb trying to establish fault when the victim voluntarily attended the party while equally knowledgeable and derisive of the danger

I’m pretty sure if six people stand in a circle, point guns at each other, and pull their triggers, the guy who happened to get the gun that was loaded is still going to be charged, even if everyone agreed to play.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Or all of them, depending on the jurisdiction

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Alabama man
Refused to mask or distance
And now he’s dead lol

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Slamhound posted:

Alabama man
Refused to mask or distance
And now he’s dead lol

I actually was going to pull up the video and realized you were doing a lyric rewrite.

:golfclap:

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

quote:

I'm not going to stop living my life

2 days later

quote:

*dies*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

I'm not going to stop living my life

lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the most impressive dedication of one’s life to philosophical empiricism since the flat earth rocket engineer

It feels like that happened YEARS ago but I just checked and it was only 141 days ago, back on Feb 22 of this year.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

End of July is going to be huge spike of death.

I would like to see a cabinet member get it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

miniscule12 posted:

End of July is going to be huge spike of death.

https://twitter.com/leftistmeme/status/1282199664461115393?s=20