Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/
Ho-leeeeeeeee Christ did Genestealers take such a loving kick in the ovipositor. Combined with the inexplicable Noise Marine rise and that's 2 of my 3 current armies eating poo poo :negative:.

Looks like the NPC armies continue to suffer for another edition. Presumably when they said about smaller games being more common, they just meant horde armies were worse costed than elites so everyone in the studio played with the Indomitus Marines?

edit:terrible snype, have a newly finished smashbot

malk83 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Haha. GW does it again. It would literally have been better just to increase points by 15% across the board (round down to nearest integer). Instead they hosed like half the delicate balance work that has been going on for the last several years of 8th. Also, how are there so many errors in there? Like, do they not having people who play the game reading the points values? Let's not expect perfection but c'mon. I guess we're going to spend 6 months until the next chapter approved pretending that it was TOTALLY ON PURPOSE that the castallan weapons are free but the tyrants are not (hopefully faq before then).

I, on the other hand, am TOTALLY NOT MAD, that not only does everyone get the GSCs main gimmick for practically free with strategic reserves, but also my beloved favorite unit aberrants got even more, more, more, expensive, despite being completely screwed over by the entirely unneeded points increase last CA.

I know everyone hated them, but I love my goofy centurions and I'm sad they're gone too. I really don't think they were a problem anymore outside the chapters that could abuse them via various things and pop them out of nowhere. It's like nerfing aggressors as a whole because the flamestorm variants are incredibly OP as salamanders. Boo hoo.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I just want to know whether Carcharodons are getting a psudeo-full-Chapter writeup. Got a friend who's been pestering GW on their community page to let Carcharodon Space Marine troops take chainaxes.

Also, as someone who habitually buys boxed sets and who can therefore theoretically build up a number of 500 point armies, I'm amused that most of the non-SM armies that one could theoretically build if one were habitually buying boxed sets for the last two or three years are mostly losers. Not that that could have been planned or anything.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

...hopefully with the rules coming under the general 40K team we can move to a point where its as well balanced as the normal product ranges.

Low bar, etc.

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
Weird one to bring up but Crusaders in 9th edition cost more for Astra Militarum to take vs Adepta Sororitas.
Given that they never FAQ'd it I wonder if the Astra Militarum datasheet for the unit is meant to stay in place for them and the Adepta Sororitas datasheet for Ministorum armies.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Ravager/Raider and Venom crews are interchangeable, right? That's why only the wrack sprues have separate parts for wrack crews, because between Ravagers and Venoms you have the option for both kabalite and wych crews?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Sisko posted:

The YouTube channel Tabletop Titans has being doing great breakdowns on each of the factions in 9th Ed (they were playtesters and so have had access to the rules)

So I watched a Titans video from a few years ago, and then watched a more recent video

Its been rough for Brian :(

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/
Ho-leeeeeeeee Christ did Genestealers take such a loving kick in the ovipositor. Combined with the inexplicable Noise Marine rise and that's 2 of my 3 current armies eating poo poo :negative:.

Imp Knights being big winners while Chaos Knights are so-so is disappointing

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 13, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What is it about Aberrants that GW is terrified of?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

All nerds fear the jock and their muscles.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SteelMentor posted:

loving lol grots going from 3pts to 5pts. Gonna keep my giant pile of grots in a sack next to the board and just chuck handfuls of them at my opponents when I fire my shokk attack guns I guess.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It seems like they capped the minimum point cost of models to 5. So now Brimstone Horrors, Grots, Imperial Guardsmen, and Termagaunts (and maybe something else) are all the same price.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Making as much stuff possible into multiples of five is one way to incentivize using Power.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did they change how you pay for returning units? (From reinforcement points, I mean. )

It would make sense to raise those units points if now you're only paying for them once.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Is there a comprehensive list of which FW models got shifted to legends? I've found faction specific discussion on reddit but I'm looking for the Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus because I think I may be literally the only person to use that model regularly.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The Sisko posted:

The YouTube channel Tabletop Titans has being doing great breakdowns on each of the factions in 9th Ed (they were playtesters and so have had access to the rules)

I watched their video for Tau and it opened on "there are so many viable ways to play Tau now!" and then the video went into abusing terrain rules by having your three Riptides hump each other whilst having their toes touch a piece of Obscuring ruins so they could shoot through it. The suggested army lists both contained three Riptides.

Meet the new boss...

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well that sucks for Termies but at least now I have an excuse to not buy more boxes of those little fuckers. I hate assembling and painting them so much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Deleter posted:

I watched their video for Tau and it opened on "there are so many viable ways to play Tau now!" and then the video went into abusing terrain rules by having your three Riptides hump each other whilst having their toes touch a piece of Obscuring ruins so they could shoot through it. The suggested army lists both contained three Riptides.

Meet the new boss...

I think that was their way of teaching how terrain works using something that Tau players are familiar with.

Also by teaching how unit coherency works using conga lines of drones.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Looks like 9E FAQs & errata are up for everyone
https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#warhammer-40000

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

quote:

Triumph of Saint Katherine, Solemn Procession
Add the following sentence to this ability:
‘In addition, for the purposes of any terrain traits (e.g. Dense Cover, Obscuring), this model is considered to have a Wounds characteristic of 9, not 18.’

Well, that makes it somewhat playable.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think that was their way of teaching how terrain works using something that Tau players are familiar with.

Also by teaching how unit coherency works using conga lines of drones.

I mean sure, those work as teaching examples. I'm just pointing out how weird (and kinda funny) it looks and how it contrasts with what they said right at the top of the video, where they go "tau are one of the most changed factions in the game" and then their lists are the exact same poo poo every Tau player has always run.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lootas are going to D6 damage???? Like, dang, I'm all for the damage boost but have they considered how much that is gonna slow down the game

Oh it's only for the spanner unit. NVM!

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why make a Cannoness take a plasma pistol for the rod of office?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Dawgstar posted:

Why make a Cannoness take a plasma pistol for the rod of office?

Because that's how the monopose canoness is modelled.

Yes it sucks.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Hmmm I found a leaked 9th edition guards point list that seems to match the goon-hammer article.

Sentinels didn't go up in price at all, and hunter killer missiles are now 5 points if it's true. Time for for heavy flamer armored sentinel meta :getin:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Inceptors going down in point costs makes me feel like I should grab those cheap Dark Imperium cast offs before they all vanish from ebay

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
Sentinels didn't go up but every single weapon choice they had did (except hunter killer missiles which are now 5).
Also their Greater Good stratagem took a nerf when shooting at enemies not in cover, with the -1/+1 cap to modifiers.

Overall I think Sentinels are probably going to be in a pretty good place for 9th though. The ability to be hyper mobile without facing an accuracy penalty when on heavy weapons is a real boon to them. Heavy Weapons Squads are still obviously far cheaper, but being able to move around with the Sentinels, and potentially even weather some minor fire, is cool.
I think there's some real interesting potential for using them from strategic reserves.

edit: Multi laser stayed the same too.

Kyari fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

chaos daemon princes with wings are apparently way more expensive now, are they going to be still worth fielding?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

chaos daemon princes with wings are apparently way more expensive now, are they going to be still worth fielding?

They’re still fast murdermonsters with psychic powers, so probably. Certainly I don’t think one will dump an army down to unplayable or anything.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just ordered one and if Amazon isn't lying it'll be here tomorrow, I'm pretty excited

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of which FW models got shifted to legends? I've found faction specific discussion on reddit but I'm looking for the Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus because I think I may be literally the only person to use that model regularly.

It's not legends.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kyari posted:

Sentinels didn't go up but every single weapon choice they had did (except hunter killer missiles which are now 5).
Also their Greater Good stratagem took a nerf when shooting at enemies not in cover, with the -1/+1 cap to modifiers.

Overall I think Sentinels are probably going to be in a pretty good place for 9th though. The ability to be hyper mobile without facing an accuracy penalty when on heavy weapons is a real boon to them. Heavy Weapons Squads are still obviously far cheaper, but being able to move around with the Sentinels, and potentially even weather some minor fire, is cool.
I think there's some real interesting potential for using them from strategic reserves.

edit: Multi laser stayed the same too.

Yeah I have been looking at them for a while. Single sentinels with heavy flamers are going to be really annoying to deal with I bet. Just charge into things that are bad at melee and flame them.

Grenade launchers are now 5 points, same was plasma guns on infantry squads. Seems like no reason to take Grenade launchers at all now. Flamers went down a point as well.

Seems like plasma's on infantry are a no brainer now. If between 4 of them you kill a single primaris you've made up their points.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 13, 2020

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
Looks like dark imperium and know no fear have gone up a lot on the secondary market.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
rip Lias Issodon

so good at being stealthy you never got model.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Found an interesting side-effect for Tyranids:

As far as I can see, all sniper-style weapons have been changed to "Each time you select a target for this weapon, you can ignore the Look Out, Sir rule."

Old One Eye just gets made flat-out untargetable if there are Carnifexes nearby:

In addition, while any other friendly <Hive Fleet> Carnifex units are within 3” of this model, enemy models cannot target this model with ranged attacks.

...so he can't be hit by snipers.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Booley posted:

It's not legends.

Awesome, thank you!

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

xtothez posted:

Found an interesting side-effect for Tyranids:

As far as I can see, all sniper-style weapons have been changed to "Each time you select a target for this weapon, you can ignore the Look Out, Sir rule."

Old One Eye just gets made flat-out untargetable if there are Carnifexes nearby:

In addition, while any other friendly <Hive Fleet> Carnifex units are within 3” of this model, enemy models cannot target this model with ranged attacks.

...so he can't be hit by snipers.

I love the new carnifex model but the hilariously pointy classic model made for a much better weapon to fight off other nerds. that the was SHARP

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

More detailed point changes are listed here for several factions:
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/socials/warhammer-40000-9th-points-change-space-marines

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hmm speaking of sniper rifles they're still 2 points for guard. That means just 32 points for 4 veterans with sniper rifles cruising around in a command squad being annoying. Ratlings got nerfed to 8 points (10 points with their rifles).

Interesting to see things that didn't change, Guard kind of got screwed on some big stuff but in little ways they have some interesting buffs.

Basilisks/Manticores being able to scoot around and shoot with impunity is pretty cool for a 10/5 point increase. Higher chance of using the Direct Fire strategem to drift around a corner and 360 no scope a rocket.

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Grenade launchers are now 5 points, same was plasma guns on infantry squads. Seems like no reason to take Grenade launchers at all now.

Grenade launchers for low toughness/high model count with the new Blast rules I suppose, but yeah 5 point plasma guns are very nice. Even if you're not supercharging they're still pretty solid.
Also veterans/command squads pay 10 points for plasma still.

Kyari fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Are missile launchers good for guard now? I thought they might be good against hoard armies as hoard armies tend to have more lightly armoured vehicles and with the new blast rule you'll be getting more hits vs larger units.