Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
By doing an arc involving fighting literal fascists from Earth's history Enterprise made itself the last relevant Star Trek story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

minsk

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Bruce Botnick let slip he's working on a new Atmos mix for Star Trek: TMP. That lines up with rumors that the Director's Cut is being worked on for a UHD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpacAuKnwc&t=151s

He talks about how much he loves working with Atmos and he unwrapped the 16 track audio masters for TMP recently.

I hope they include the original cut as well. I don't mind the director's cut, but I prefer the original.

bull3964 posted:

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek fan if the thought of seeing the full reveal of the Connie refit in glorious 4k with HDR while Goldsmith's theme blares out of 7 channels including overhead doesn't move something in you.

The old Blu-ray transfer was one of the earlyish Blu-ray releases that went overboard on DNR and edge enhancement that left everybody looking like wax figures with halos around the edges, so I imagine a new release would be a massive improvement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pyrotek posted:

I hope they include the original cut as well. I don't mind the director's cut

Robert Wise's level of involvement in the so-called Director's Edition of TMP is highly questionable.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Arivia posted:

how many star trek series DON'T have run ins with nazis or aliens inspired by nazis? tng and ds9, maybe? (not counting the new ones)

Cardassians are in DS9 and TNG.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
soviets

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I couldn't tell you the exact episode but there is no way in hell TNG didn't run into any form of space Nazi. Maybe the Eugenics planet where Frasier Cranes wife was intersex and tried to gently caress Riker? idk

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe the Eugenics planet where Frasier Cranes wife was intersex and tried to gently caress Riker? idk

You're misremembering, unless you just mean she was really "inter" sex with Riker

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
just gonna sit here for a while imagining Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse saying that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

You're misremembering, unless you just mean she was really "inter" sex with Riker

I think they're conflating the episodes "First Contact" (alien-sex-crazed Bebe Neuwirth) and "The Outcast" (androgynous alien, also hot for beard).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What’s the episode where Riker’s on a date in Ten Forward and he’s just wearing this ridiculous silk shirt with his chest hair in full bloom.

Like how can anything - female, male, genderless, space whale - resist that?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

What’s the episode where Riker’s on a date in Ten Forward and he’s just wearing this ridiculous silk shirt with his chest hair in full bloom.

I know there's another silk shirt in TNG but the only one I can remember that puts his chest hair on full display is the one from Angel One:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I know there's another silk shirt in TNG but the only one I can remember that puts his chest hair on full display is the one from Angel One:

I like how Deanna's just beaming during this. "Look at MY man."

Also I meant episodes with aliens inspired by Nazis like the TOS/VOY episodes where they adopted Nazi trappings, not "aliens that are thematically akin to" like Cardassians.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I will never stop linking these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPQKjuCqM0

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Epicurius posted:

When the Nazis came to power, they kept the economy going by basically going full military. They increased the size of the military, they built armaments, and started these big public works programs that had joint military-civilian purposes. The problem economically with that, was that choice wasn't really sustainable, Once WWII started, when the Germans would take over a country, they'd basically loot it, and all the conquered country's resources, gold and foreign currency reserves and so on, would be sent to Germany to keep the German economy afloat. This is honestly not something you can keep doing for long.

Lot of similarities there to how capitalism requires constant growth and new resources.

On the Cardassian note, I would really like if some showed up in Picard and in the decades since the Dominion War ended they have become more cultured and artistic and peace loving, much like Germany following WWII.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

It is extremely true that they were badly administratively mismanaged, but I think it's also a mistake to always highlight that, because I think it confuses the issue that it is not why they were bad. I mean, worth mentioning, but I think as a major diversion it's very odd because it sort of implies that if they were more bureaucratically streamlined than they would have been more compelling.
The "they made the trains run on time" myth has been part of the apologetics for fascism for quite some time... I also think their inefficiency raises the alternate-universe question of, "If they were able to unfuck their logistics, could they have won?"

In the case of the Nazis of course the answer is no.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

The "they made the trains run on time" myth has been part of the apologetics for fascism for quite some time... I also think their inefficiency raises the alternate-universe question of, "If they were able to unfuck their logistics, could they have won?"

In the case of the Nazis of course the answer is no.

they would have made a shitload more porcelain dogs though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

More TOS-

Is There In Truth No Beauty?- Diana Muldaur, who later plays Dr. Pulaski in TNG S2, shows up for her second and final TOS appearance. Certainly feels like the budget cuts are in full effect with an episode where everything takes place on the ship and the alien of the week can't be seen by human eyes. It definitely feels like they dialed up the sexism pretty hard for this episode compared to others. Diana Muldaur's character gets constantly berated by the male lead of the week and others for not wanting to have a relationship with someone and being consumed with their work. It's also implied later in the episode that she wanted Spock to die out of jealousy? It's definitely not what you would call a feminist episode. It seems a little weird that the Federation has contact with aliens that somehow know how to navigate a starship through the Galactic Barrier and out into inter-galactic space. Of course this never comes up again. This is definitely in the lower rung of TOS for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Off the top of my head I recall him wearing some crazy silk pajama thing in Ten Forward when he’s playing his trombone and in the alien abduction episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

maybe the real star treks were inside us all along

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

On the Cardassian note, I would really like if some showed up in Picard and in the decades since the Dominion War ended they have become more cultured and artistic and peace loving, much like Germany following WWII.

My dear Doctor, I'm as happy as a little girl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Concept idea for the Defiant's mission patch

(and the one they went with:

)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That scared little Borg cube owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Concept idea for the Defiant's mission patch

(and the one they went with:

)

this looks exactly like the deviantart content someone linked in gbs of the prius with exaggerated genitals

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tag urself I'm "Assimilate THIS!... " in plain crappy font

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Browsing some of Drexler's posts. The J definitely looks better from behind.

I do prefer the two-hull version, but they wanted something closer to the NX-01 for Enterprise

Production team having just stolen these from the dumpster out back during the set teardown of TNG

Hah, this was literally one of the FX crew's bread-making machine, borrowed.

baseball!

There's a few memos and letters from the 60s there and it makes sad we stopped using Futura for everything.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 16, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MikeJF posted:

it makes sad we stopped using Futura for everything.

Futura kerning sucks big time and there is no one around to fix it

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I thought the Cardassians were supposed to be WWII Japan.

Epicurius posted:

If you get the chance, I'd recommend Adam Tooze's book, "The Wages of Destruction", which goes into how the German economy worked.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Cool stuff, thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They're all of them, Doctor - especially the ones you don't think of.

These super-spindly enterprises make no sense to me. You need to have some kind of interior to the ship. Unless you're stuffing everything into holospace or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

They're all of them, Doctor - especially the ones you don't think of.

These super-spindly enterprises make no sense to me. You need to have some kind of interior to the ship. Unless yThe idou're stuffing everything into holospace or something.

The enterprise-J is loving massive, so the spindly saucer is like a hundred metres thick.

The nacelle pylons were deliberately designed incredibly thin because they wanted to imply ridiculously advanced tech and the idea that simple material science and structural rules as we understand it is barely relevant anymore. It was a deliberate recreation of the way that the TOS enterprise's pylons were designed to have the same effect, but taken to an even further extreme.

For all the flack it gets, there's quite a few bits about the J I quite like. I like the idea that the skyscraper-style windows are because the saucer's so large, the decks on the outer half of the saucer can face with feet out towards the edge without the curve being an issue and you've just got windows on two sides. (Drexler said that the windows were designed with the idea that it's big enough that old-style up and down aren't relevant anymore). And if the big glow in the centre of the saucer is a window/dome (it's colored the same as the windows, after all) then you've got a huge football-field sized glass-domed space in the middle of the ship which is a nice idea for the center of what's meant to be a full-on city-ship.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 16, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the J is rad. I hope we get to see more of it on screen down the line and it's not just ignored completely. I can see the Disco team being able to evolve that design in really interesting ways if they pick up the design cues from it for season 3 ships. Though I still think it makes sense that so far in the future (assuming they don't go for a societal/technological collapse storyline which I kind of assume they will :( ) that ships would just be giant holodecks without traditional physical structures for most of the ship—outside of warp and replicator tech. Might make the series feel too much like fantasy, though, so I'd get why they might not want to go that way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a few bits I saw from Drexler I don't have on hand where he implied that large parts of the interior of the J are basically just like they took Yorktown and stuck warp nacelles on the back of it. Large open spaces, literally towns inside big parks, concourses, parts of it that have a 'down' of whichever way is convenient, separate suburbs in different parts of the ship.

If your warp tech gets big enough that the space available to you is that much bigger than the number of people you want to haul, I guess there's no need to squash them up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 16, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doug is a great FB follow.

All this talk of holodeck ships reminds me of the Lego starships I would build as a kid, with absurdly small saucer sections under the logic that they were all holodeck so people were packed in there and just felt like they had lots of space.

Edit: also that alternate J design with the two separate hulls is so much better.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Didn't Voyager have a ship that was bigger on the inside that predates the J? Makes you wonder why the J would need to be so massive, unless the TARDIS technology is somehow more difficult to make than a ship the size of a small planetoid.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

There's a few bits I saw from Drexler I don't have on hand where he implied that large parts of the interior of the J are basically just like they took Yorktown and stuck warp nacelles on the back of it. Large open spaces, literally towns inside big parks, concourses, parts of it that have a 'down' of whichever way is convenient, separate suburbs in different parts of the ship.

If your warp tech gets big enough that the space available to you is that much bigger than the number of people you want to haul, I guess there's no need to squash them up.

This is how you get lost civilisations on disabled starships.
Imagine the bridge blows off with all officers on board, warp core gets a breach and is ejected and subspace comsm are down? The ship is drifting through emptiness of space till it crashes somewhere... with or without regressed to cannibalism inhabitants

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This is how you get lost civilisations on disabled starships.
Imagine the bridge blows off with all officers on board, warp core gets a breach and is ejected and subspace comsm are down? The ship is drifting through emptiness of space till it crashes somewhere... with or without regressed to cannibalism inhabitants

The Orville has an episode about this, it's one of the better ones

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Orville has an episode about this, it's one of the better ones

Yup had it in mind but it can very easily go the Pandorum (2009) way

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Humerus posted:

Didn't Voyager have a ship that was bigger on the inside that predates the J? Makes you wonder why the J would need to be so massive, unless the TARDIS technology is somehow more difficult to make than a ship the size of a small planetoid.
The Voth ship in ‘Distant Origin’ was massive

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Humerus posted:

Enterprise had 'Future Tense', where they found a ship that was bigger on the inside, however I don't think there was an episode of Voyager with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I remember reading at one point that Enterprise wanted to do a crossover with the Dr Who revival which started around that time, but it ended up falling through.

Though that could be complete bullshit.