Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd only recommend vesperia if your options for tales games are limited, which i guess on switch they kinda are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you were not one of the seemingly billions of people commenting "ps3 version when" since 2009 it's probably going to be just an okay game where the story goes to pieces at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Is Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition good? I noticed that it’s 50% off in the Switch store.

It was cool 12 years ago but now it's very clear that it's a game that has a ball and chain attached to it keeping the gameplay from really shining. It does the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/ FF9 thing of weapons teaching you skills but they hide all manner of skills behind it. Like throwing items to other party members or being able to swap to other ones is locked behind synthesizing a key item.

It gets super good on NG+5 when you can unlock all the cool stuff but most people would advise against it. I quite enjoyed it on the 360 because I didn't play anything besides Symphonia and I hadn't come across the series until then so it was super cool to me but for people who actually followed the series I bet they'll have more insightful things to say about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, not gonna lie I would have been super hyped for Vesperia at some point but knowing I have to go back to MP instead of some variation of Chain Capacity is a huge downer, at least combined with “FF9-style skill system but it’s used to stagger basic gameplay mechanics and character gimmicks”

Graces was pretty great. Maybe I should boot up my PS3 to play again...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Consider playing Tales of Crestoria, the mobile gacha game that released just a few hours ago instead! It's free!*

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, not gonna lie I would have been super hyped for Vesperia at some point but knowing I have to go back to MP instead of some variation of Chain Capacity is a huge downer, at least combined with “FF9-style skill system but it’s used to stagger basic gameplay mechanics and character gimmicks”

Graces was pretty great. Maybe I should boot up my PS3 to play again...
Has the "equip weapons to learn skills" system ever been done well/in a way that's not really annoying to manage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FF7R does it alright just by having there be only a few weapons.

The rest of the weapon upgrade system is weak but the getting skills part is pretty solid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Amppelix posted:

Has the "equip weapons to learn skills" system ever been done well/in a way that's not really annoying to manage

I enjoy these systems for some reason. The idea that finding a new piece of equipment actually means something beyond checking its stats and dumping it when its inevitably worse than what you have is interesting to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's fun when the things you get are new toys to mess with, less fun when they're basic mechanics that the previous games gave you from the start like. a backstep.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I feel like FF9 does it alright because past like early Disk 2 you start getting a lot of abilities that teach stuff you could have learned earlier, and aside from a few items nothing’s permanently missable. The big incentive with 9’s system is that exploring throughly and doing side quests gets you swag earlier than you’d normally get it, not “do this sidequest or I guess you’ll never learn Holy”

I’ve never played Vesperia but it kinda sounds like it does the “each piece of equipment teaches its own unique skill” which combined with how it’s known for kinda being obtuse as gently caress regarding side quests and said skills teaching basic character gimmicks like having the charge attack character not have that built in doesn’t sound great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's fun when the things you get are new toys to mess with, less fun when they're basic mechanics that the previous games gave you from the start like. a backstep.

Yeah. I dont think anybody has issue when the sword teaches "wind attacks+" but in vesperia lots of what feel like basic building blocks of a fun action game are gated behind weapons. It also doesnt help combat feels ultra stiff too, like a very first go at a concept.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's weird cause like. there are tons of issues with the previous games that vesperia DOES sorta fix, notably how abyss has like three viable characters to play as while in vesperia you can kinda play as anyone, but. somehow the fundamentals of its combat are even worse than abyss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all the skills that make combat less stiff are locked behind the endpoints of game long crafting chains

whose idea was that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Xanadu Next

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shmupulations translated a '92 interview with GameArts about Lunar TSS: http://shmuplations.com/lunar/

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

FF7R does it alright just by having there be only a few weapons.

The rest of the weapon upgrade system is weak but the getting skills part is pretty solid.

Ya it's crazy how much an improvement the combat of FF7R is over XV. XV's mechanics are poo poo, there is never any reason to swap from Noctis because he can blink away and heal DURING COMBAT, how the whole mp system works, leveling up system is a mess too.

FF7R combat and rpg mechanics all work really well imo. Meanwhile XV you can just wrap strike your way to the final boss and although the Ardyn fight is "epic" it feels poo poo to play. I just got through the game because it looks amazing on pc and the combat feels good despite there being 0 depth in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure you couldnt switch from noctis at all until it was added in an update, so

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure you couldnt switch from noctis at all until it was added in an update, so

You couldn’t and the healing during combat is limited based on how much damage you’ve taken so it’s not like you can continuously heal to full forever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FFXV is awesome

...until you actually engage the plot

...or any significant combat

...but just driving around the world with your buddies, stopping off at truck stops and going fishing was awesome. Surprised someone hasn't made a game similar to that, but without all the FF baggage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prompto and Ignis are a lot of fun in combat.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Morpheus posted:

FFXV is awesome

...but just driving around the world with your buddies, stopping off at truck stops and going fishing was awesome. Surprised someone hasn't made a game similar to that, but without all the FF baggage.

I think Christine Love's upcoming game is very loosely this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/938860/Get_In_The_Car_Loser/

I say "very loosely" because while it is a road trip JRPG without the Final Fantasy baggage, it sounds like it'll be a pretty linear experience (the description mentions "no sidequests, no maps, no codex entries"). Which is a bit disappointing as someone who would totally take an open world road trip game (just, like, gimmie Xenoblade with a car and companions who aren't the goddamned worst), but still might be really neat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Tactics Advance 1 and 2 were super fun for me, personally! Now I keep hoping for a game to do the same thing. People recommend Fell Seal and others like that but they don't quite grab me from what I've seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I think Christine Love's upcoming game is very loosely this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/938860/Get_In_The_Car_Loser/

I say "very loosely" because while it is a road trip JRPG without the Final Fantasy baggage, it sounds like it'll be a pretty linear experience (the description mentions "no sidequests, no maps, no codex entries"). Which is a bit disappointing as someone who would totally take an open world road trip game (just, like, gimmie Xenoblade with a car and companions who aren't the goddamned worst), but still might be really neat.
Tbf its a game by christine love. Not like she has money to make an open world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RareAcumen posted:

Tactics Advance 1 and 2 were super fun for me, personally! Now I keep hoping for a game to do the same thing. People recommend Fell Seal and others like that but they don't quite grab me from what I've seen.

i'm playing ffta2 on and off right now and my only complaint with this is that the AP rewards tend to be really weird numbers that don't divide into the actual costs very well, so you waste a lot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Xanadu Next
No that's the worst part of next. You have to equip every weapon you get and grind out some enemies with it before equipping the weapon you actually want to use again. This is what happens in like 90% of games that use this, in my experience. which is why i asked.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

i'm playing ffta2 on and off right now and my only complaint with this is that the AP rewards tend to be really weird numbers that don't divide into the actual costs very well, so you waste a lot.

I really wish FFTA2 were not on a handheld so I could actually enjoy playing it. I'm too old to be hunched over a tiny screen. It emulates ok but I never really liked the split screens on horizontal monitors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

I really wish FFTA2 were not on a handheld so I could actually enjoy playing it. I'm too old to be hunched over a tiny screen. It emulates ok but I never really liked the split screens on horizontal monitors.

Get two monitors and position them properly!

Actually I guess if you have a Wii U you can inject it to and run it there, but that's still kinda awkward

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

People not having full magic out of the gate was what bothered me the most out of everything

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amppelix posted:

sounds like someone who hasn't played scarlet graces...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

People not having full magic out of the gate was what bothered me the most out of everything

That game had a bunch of weird mechanics and oversights iirc. Like even the mp thing would be alright except that you regen a flat 10 every turn instead of it being like a percentage, which makes your MP growths seem to not matter much. Or how side/back attacks do a lot more damage, which is fine, except that the multipliers are global and not based off weapon type so ranged weapons end up doing chip damage because you’re probably not gonna be hitting from the back a lot given the nature of ranged combat.

Personally I could never get into it because it lags like a motherfucker when having the AI select commands, although yeah I know emulation or a port would fix that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ethiser posted:

You couldn’t and the healing during combat is limited based on how much damage you’ve taken so it’s not like you can continuously heal to full forever.

I played the Royal edition so you could or get the upgrade. The ability to create distance between you and enemy at any point, which also heals is just a too broken ability. It is also the main form of damage. It's one of the few FF games where I found none of the bosses challenging. The hardest battles are some of the random early monster hunts which I completed all of. That was the part of the game I enjoyed. Just going around finding cool monsters, driving with your buddies before the narrative kicked in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For all this DLC of FFXV, they should've made one that stripped out the main plot and replaced it with a sightseeing tour, where you and your friends wanted to see a bunch of cool poo poo in the world, and you had to complete quests and stuff in order to find stuff/get access to it. While fighting monsters and such, of course.

NEW QUEST: Help Gladio Find the Greatest Noodle Bowl
Next step: Investigate sightings of noodle beasts near <whatever the name of the city you visit that has a sweet hotel>

NEW QUEST: Reach Atlas for Photo-Op

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Quest: Sober up

New Quest: Figure out what the new tattoo you have says

New Quest: Where is prompto? Oh poo poo we lost prompto

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
drive your lovely yacht to the land of bhang, so ignis can learn the recipe

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CrossCode is a game I want to like a lot more than I do and its bumming me out as I play it as it keeps failing to live up yo what I want while still providing some good sprite work.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The worst thing about FFTA2 is that they tried to balance it, and then gave Viera ways to get around all the balancing they did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The worst parts of FFTA2 are that they removed combos and it's the last appearance of Viera outside of the MMO one.

Ivalice is so cool, man.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bring Matsumoto back and let him make another Tactic's ogre

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Morpheus posted:

FFXV is awesome

I really want a game that's just about taking a road trip through FF land.

Just a road trip. None of this cosmic bullshit or being hunted by the empire, just stopping at the Cactuar Ranch and taking pictures with the World's Largest Cactuar and then running away from Jumbo Cactuar which is even bigger, etc. You get to the end, hang out for a few days while some guy meets with his long-distance girlfriend, then head home again.

Morpheus posted:

For all this DLC of FFXV, they should've made one that stripped out the main plot and replaced it with a sightseeing tour, where you and your friends wanted to see a bunch of cool poo poo in the world, and you had to complete quests and stuff in order to find stuff/get access to it. While fighting monsters and such, of course.

NEW QUEST: Help Gladio Find the Greatest Noodle Bowl
Next step: Investigate sightings of noodle beasts near <whatever the name of the city you visit that has a sweet hotel>

NEW QUEST: Reach Atlas for Photo-Op

Barudak posted:

New Quest: Sober up

New Quest: Figure out what the new tattoo you have says

New Quest: Where is prompto? Oh poo poo we lost prompto

:yeah:

just a game entirely of this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Bring Matsumoto back and let him make another Tactic's ogre

I mean, if it comes out like the remake of Tactics Ogre we already got I’m good with just getting a current-gen War of the Lions and nothing else ever from that man, tbh.