Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mostly around 2006-2016, or the launch of the PS3/360? A shitload of devs struggled to adapt to HD development and went broke trying or were screwed over by their publishers every step of the way, a ton of franchises disappeared, pretty sure this was peak EA devouring its subsidies and Microsoft getting in on the action too. I bet a lot of the things you named were before or after that.

Alpha Protocol, Skate, Okami, Prototype, Minecraft, Sleeping Dogs,Papers Please, Shadow of Mordor, Pillars of Eternity and a million other decent kickstarted games, No Man’s Sky (lol), Stardew valley...
That’s just one from each year there, typically doing something new and/or unusual. The Yakuza series started in 2005 and kept improving over that whole decade. That period also had tons of other stuff like Hotline Miami, L4D/Payday, and other mid-sized replayable experiences coming out. It was a loving bonkers awesome time for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gunning down an infidel in ultra-realistic murder simulator Counter-Strike. Or wait, is this real? I...I can no longer tell...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't be bothered with any videogame that requires me to remember or care about anything session to session.

The best videogames are the ones you can play for 5 minutes or 5 hours and have broadly the same experience... rocket league, binding of isaac, Diablo, maybe counterstrike if your idea of a videogame is realistically murdering human people.

yikes those are the weakest of videogames imo. should be called sports or games more than videogames. it's not that they're bad, just seem like a very different thing than the art medium of videogame that should have its own word. A word for videogames that don';t really have a point, no message, their creator has nothing of value to say, and the primary experience they were concerned with in creating the game was "fun." Honestly I'd suggest the name "videogame" for them but for some stupid loving reason we already used that misleading name for the entire art medium.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This was only five years after the original Wolfenstein 3D.

In the past five years, we've gone from Witcher 3, Skyrim, and GTA5 to... Witcher 3, Skyrim, and GTA5.

edit: holy poo poo Skyrim was eight years ago and GTA5 was seven how are they still selling these

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Manager Hoyden posted:

This was only five years after the original Wolfenstein 3D.

In the past five years, we've gone from Witcher 3, Skyrim, and GTA5 to... Witcher 3, Skyrim, and GTA5.

edit: holy poo poo Skyrim was eight years ago and GTA5 was seven how are they still selling these

Micro-transactions reshaped the industry. In 2006, Bethesda discovered you could sell horse armor dlc for $2.50 and people would buy it. In 2008, the IOS store launched, and within 3 years, micro-transactions in games made ~3 billion dollars. In 2012, EA pivoted their strategy towards micro-transactions explicitly. All of the above three games had insane development costs and while they all sold super well, from a business perspective, what yields the higher ROI, Fortnite or Witcher?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was quite a controversy when Bethesda tried to sell horse armor for 2 dollars. People made fun of them a lot and said it was BS

Nowadays it's industry standard to sell less for even more

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Gunning down an infidel in ultra-realistic murder simulator Counter-Strike. Or wait, is this real? I...I can no longer tell...

That guy was probably literally Jack Thompson, up to his old tricks again. Nice work running him off. Gamers rise up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i see everyone praising bugsnax but my unpopular opinion is that i thought it was really hosed up and disgusting body/existential horror

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Counter-Strike is poo poo and it's always been poo poo, every version of it. Movement and shooting the guns both feel like poo poo and it's boring as gently caress to spend half your time dead watching other people who have memorised dumb spray patterns hop around killing each other while changing guns back and forth. Layouts of the maps might make sense for competitive reasons or whatever but they all look like dumb poo poo. Thank you for reading my post.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Counter-Strike is poo poo and it's always been poo poo, every version of it. Movement and shooting the guns both feel like poo poo and it's boring as gently caress to spend half your time dead watching other people who have memorised dumb spray patterns hop around killing each other while changing guns back and forth. Layouts of the maps might make sense for competitive reasons or whatever but they all look like dumb poo poo. Thank you for reading my post.

I can get why people would like a fast, tightly tuned shooter like counterstrike, but its always looked like a pretty miserable time to me. It's also kind of like the NCIS of videogames in that you almost never hear or think about it but there's somehow an 8 digit number of people who play it 60 hours a week.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

I can get why people would like a fast, tightly tuned shooter like counterstrike, but its always looked like a pretty miserable time to me. It's also kind of like the NCIS of videogames in that you almost never hear or think about it but there's somehow an 8 digit number of people who play it 60 hours a week.

The time to kill is really fast but I'd describe the game as slow paced as poo poo.
You don't really do anything fast because running around a corner without a plan gets you instantly killed.
Plus shooting while moving at all makes your accuracy complete garbage so you have to stand still to shoot.

Not really a fan of the game at all. Though I've mostly played Valorant which is a csgo clone with (apparently) worse maps.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I sucked at it too

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Icochet posted:

Yeah I sucked at it too

The only way to be 'properly' good at CS is to be one of those weirdos who spends 5000 hours on one game and one game only.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

be one of those weirdos who spends 5000 hours on one game and one game only.

I've done this for a few games over my life and I still suck at them :(

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

PinheadSlim posted:

I've done this for a few games over my life and I still suck at them :(

Tbf I've done it with Rocket League and also still suck. The difference is RL is dope and CS is lame.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

tuo posted:

This was the time though where the unified renderer was the next big thing, the holy grail of "next gen graphics". See Doom 3.

Doom 3 literally killed my video card at the time, one of the GeForce TI's I think. I played it for a couple hours and then started getting artifacts, restarted, no video. The card got so hot the fan bearings melted (or something) but even replacing the fan didn't fix it. So I was out that and the price of the game. lovely!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

The only way to be 'properly' good at CS is to be one of those weirdos who spends 5000 hours on one game and one game only.

This is all multiplayer games. I had lots of fun with CS back in the early 00s even though I was never good at it. If you can't handle dying maybe don't go to war?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don’t have any kind of hot frothy take about counter strike, I don’t think it’s bad, although I just don’t really like it. I wish I enjoyed it more since it’s one of the last twitch-ish (I guess that has a different meaning now) team based multiplayer FPS games left and I miss the genre :smith:

Why can’t they just make a new quake that’s as fun as the old ones but has dedicated servers instead of matchmaking, and isn’t battle royale :smith:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Why can't I just let them strike? Do I have to counter?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Icochet posted:

This is all multiplayer games. I had lots of fun with CS back in the early 00s even though I was never good at it. If you can't handle dying maybe don't go to war?

The difference imo is that even if you're poo poo at a game like Rocket League or Call of Duty or whatever, you still get to keep playing the game. You can have a good time in most other shooters even if you have a negative k/d ratio and suck, because you don't have to sit and watch the rest of the round once you die.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

poverty goat posted:

It's hard to understate how big of a deal ray tracing is. Most of the features that have been used to sell bullshit incremental GPU upgrades to us over the years have just been clever algorithms to do a little bit of what ray tracing can do implicitly, but poorly and at a huge computational savings. Ray tracing will eventually replace all of it, and look better, with a lower cost of entry to developers who want to make a really pretty game with intuitive natural lighting. RTX today is not this, and struggles to even play minecraft at resolution with a fully raytraced pipeline, but in 5-10 years when it's broadly supported by consumer GPUs, game consoles and developers alike, it will be cool and nobody will be complaining

I agree, 5 or so years and it'll be the norm.
I can play Minecraft at 1440p at something like 80 fps, same with Battlefield etc, but i has to become mainstream for sure and not just for turbo nerds like what I am
I agree with it being a big deal, it replaces so much stuff too, like loads of other tricks become redundant like ambient occlusion and shadows and stuff, ray tracing takes care of a lot of stuff

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

counterstrike is loads of fun as long as you play with friends and don’t take it too seriously, which the entire counterstrike community has seemingly decided is the wrong way to play

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Garrys Mod is way better for that casual source engine fun though.

I still play some Prop Hunt out of nostalgia every now and again

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Actually I just remembered than gun game started in CS, so it did/does have one good thing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cs is good for when nobody knows what to play next at the lanparty

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Actually I just remembered than gun game started in CS, so it did/does have one good thing.

surf maps were cool as hell too

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

food court bailiff posted:

surf maps were cool as hell too

I never really tried them but that did seem like a kind of cool thing too.

Ok I was maybe a bit harsh in my original post, regular/pro counterstrike is still a pile of buttholes but it did lead to some cool ideas.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it also ran passably on most poo poo computers at the time

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm still using a 750ti so I can sympathise with that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

Why can't I just let them strike? Do I have to counter?

if you ever want the terrorists to win you sure as hell have to

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

if you ever want the terrorists to win you sure as hell have to

I’m just saying maybe they have a point

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

I’m just saying maybe they have a point

that's what i'm saying man sometimes you ARE the terrorists and if you want them to win, well, you have to counter!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the division two, a generic ubisoft looter shooter, solely by being associated with the tom clancy brand, is closer to being a hollywood-level artistic venture than any naughty dog or david cage wankfest

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Looks like forced group content for everything, so nope.

Im not a player, but my understanding is like most MMOs most things can be done completely solo, but its better and often faster, with others.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

yikes those are the weakest of videogames imo. should be called sports or games more than videogames. it's not that they're bad, just seem like a very different thing than the art medium of videogame that should have its own word. A word for videogames that don';t really have a point, no message, their creator has nothing of value to say, and the primary experience they were concerned with in creating the game was "fun." Honestly I'd suggest the name "videogame" for them but for some stupid loving reason we already used that misleading name for the entire art medium.

Lol I can't make sense of this post

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I think I can translate:

"If you're not playing TLOU or a David Cage game you're just jerking off"

Real "Capital G G*mer" energy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I read it 3 times and couldn't parse it either

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

everyone stop playing rocket league

there are only so many times you can haphazardly boost into the ball

I saw a video game review where the reviewer said he had 1500 hours of rocket league at the bottom and it immediately made him distrust him

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

everyone stop playing rocket league

No :allears:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I saw a video game review where the reviewer said he had 1500 hours of rocket league at the bottom and it immediately made him distrust him

poo poo I've got 600 hours to catch up on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Putting off playing videogames for fun because there's too much emotionally draining AAA bullshit to catch up on is understandable - it's your standard popular culture FOMO - but it'll make you miserable long term