Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spec Ops: The Line had the same problem. For whatever point it might have to make about the horror of war, the game itself is a really dull, generic third-person shooter.

It's a shooter, its fun to shoot the American troops, guns sound good, it's responsive, idk what else people expected from that part of it. Like "it's perfectly decent but not very novel" isn't a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sebmojo posted:

It's a shooter, its fun to shoot the American troops, guns sound good, it's responsive, idk what else people expected from that part of it. Like "it's perfectly decent but not very novel" isn't a bad thing.

It's a very clever game - the narrative had a lot to say about how you shouldn't play this type of game and then it backs it up by using crappy gameplay to discourage you from playing this specific game.

Pretty brave. It feels bad to play two ways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Lol I can't make sense of this post

Some videogames are actual games like toys or board games or card games or sports. You have rules and tools and either someone to compete against with similar tools and rules or just the computer/system with their own rules and routines. Like the games JollyBoyJohn mentioned. Rocket League is an actual sport game. Binding of Isaac generates random rooms and stuff for you to try not to die to. Diablo you got a randomly generated floors to descend into hell and beat up the devil. Counterstrike is paintball competition type thing, you're playing a shooting game against and with other people. The point of these things is to be fun for those involved while they play, and you know mostly what to expect each go.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I think I can translate:

"If you're not playing TLOU or a David Cage game you're just jerking off"

Real "Capital G G*mer" energy

IDK david gage and im not buying a play station like i own a tv or something, certainly not to play zombie game

i actually liked playing RL/BoI/D1 but I always get to a point pretty quick in games like that of, OK I think I "get" this now, it's going to be this same thing but I get better at doing it with practice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's a very clever game - the narrative had a lot to say about how you shouldn't play this type of game and then it backs it up by using crappy gameplay to discourage you from playing this specific game.

Pretty brave. It feels bad to play two ways.

But it's not crappy. The worst you can say about it is that it's about as good as a bunch of other games and not exceptional.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

But it's not crappy. The worst you can say about it is that it's about as good as a bunch of other games and not exceptional.

Agreed. The shooting is standard but the guns all feel right, the damage and health levels for both you and enemies are good, and it doesn’t gently caress anything up.

I also didn’t get the impression it was saying you shouldn’t play that kind of game, more that the kind of conflict depicted would be insanely hosed up and dehumanizing to everyone involved.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
All of these posts are pointless because the One True Best Goon Videogame Opinion was that Portal was set in an upside-down skycastle due to the way that you fell upwards after killing glados, all other contrarian posting quakes before its power.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

it had a fun mechanic where you get head shots and it gave you a little bit of slowmo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

it had a fun mechanic where you get head shots and it gave you a little bit of slowmo

it's a bit "nice job exploding that head hero, good murdering!" but in a subtle way

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Agreed. The shooting is standard but the guns all feel right, the damage and health levels for both you and enemies are good, and it doesn’t gently caress anything up.

I also didn’t get the impression it was saying you shouldn’t play that kind of game, more that the kind of conflict depicted would be insanely hosed up and dehumanizing to everyone involved.

The game literally tells you to stop playing it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Where?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its one of the insanity loading dealios iirc

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its one of the insanity loading dealios iirc

LoadingScreenTips_093=You are still a good person.
LoadingScreenTips_095=There is no escape.
LoadingScreenTips_100=Can you even remember why you came here?
LoadingScreenTips_101=This is all your fault.
LoadingScreenTips_102=Do you feel like a hero yet?
LoadingScreenTips_103=How many Americans have you killed today?
LoadingScreenTips_104=It's time for you to wake up.
LoadingScreenTips_105=If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sillybones posted:

The game literally tells you to stop playing it.

The loading screens are for the main character not for you

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It also never tells you to stop playing. I think they’re conflating the lead dev saying that turning the game off and walking away is a valid ending with the game telling you to stop playing it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Another cool thing about Spec Ops is that you keep descending downwards the entire game until the levels don't make sense, but you just keep going down and down. I played that game with zero preconceptions of what would happen, I thought it would just be a third person shootyman game judging from the lovely reviews. It just goes to show that game reviewers are all trash.

Also the gameplay is completely fine by the standards of when it came out.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

poverty goat posted:

This War of Mine may have been an excellent work of fiction but in order to be a good game it has to be fun instead of making you feel terrible about everything

I don't know - it seems kind of like when crime novels try to be more serious, and instead of a neat cold case mystery to read on your train ride, you get a sad story of broken people that just happens to share the same rough shape. It's a plus if the actual murder mystery is still well constructed, but it can still be a good book even if it isn't.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

It also never tells you to stop playing. I think they’re conflating the lead dev saying that turning the game off and walking away is a valid ending with the game telling you to stop playing it.

Oh, my b. The game is a million years old.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zzulu posted:

People liked Alien Isolation right? Were tehre any other games like it?

Untitled Goose Game if you want to play as the monster.

And after witnessing the "yikseroo lowtax" thread, there are definitely penises that look like a goose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

speaking of wars

deus ex invisible war is straight up better than human revolution and I would love a remaster in a better engine with the weird inventory bugs fixed

yeah i think invisible war is bad but fixable, really the biggest problem is the bland protagonist, at least it feels like deus ex in a way that human revolution didnt

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

Some videogames are actual games like toys or board games or card games or sports. You have rules and tools and either someone to compete against with similar tools and rules or just the computer/system with their own rules and routines. Like the games JollyBoyJohn mentioned. Rocket League is an actual sport game. Binding of Isaac generates random rooms and stuff for you to try not to die to. Diablo you got a randomly generated floors to descend into hell and beat up the devil. Counterstrike is paintball competition type thing, you're playing a shooting game against and with other people. The point of these things is to be fun for those involved while they play, and you know mostly what to expect each go.

Okay wait so which video games aren't games?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Back in the day I had this book collection for my DS.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

the fun ones apparently

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RPS interviewers are really good at getting devs to say poo poo that contradicts the game's text. It's like how wording questions in surveys differently can completely flip the responses you're getting. Ask "do you agree that your work's main theme is [stuff that's irrelevant to the theme but makes you seem more deep]?" and they're gonna run with whatever you feed them. I wouldn't use that to judge the actual game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of The Venture Bros 'it's a show about failure'.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Khanstant posted:

yikes those are the weakest of videogames imo. should be called sports or games more than videogames. it's not that they're bad, just seem like a very different thing than the art medium of videogame that should have its own word. A word for videogames that don';t really have a point, no message, their creator has nothing of value to say, and the primary experience they were concerned with in creating the game was "fun." Honestly I'd suggest the name "videogame" for them but for some stupid loving reason we already used that misleading name for the entire art medium.

Lmfao

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
the only true videal game is EA Sport's NFL Head Coach (2006)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im a sportsman

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i think invisible war is bad but fixable, really the biggest problem is the bland protagonist, at least it feels like deus ex in a way that human revolution didnt

Besides the obvious technical problems from the lead guy for the engine leaving suddenly, and things cropping up from needing to make the Xbox version, most of the problems with it are something you could fix in a remake.

For starters, get rid of universal ammo. It was put in to make you feel like you could use any gun you want without having to save rare ammo, but it really just discouraged you from using the cool stuff. Sure, i can fire the rail gun... and spend a whole clip of pistol/SMG ammo to do it. And you only could hold like ten mags worth of those anyway, so it really hurt.

The simplified inventory also sucked. Not only did it make inventory management kind of poo poo, it was too small. Yeah, a rocket launcher didn’t take up as much room as four pistols but it still takes up a sixth of your inventory.... just like a pistol does. Or a multi tool.

The aug stuff had promise, the black market ones were cool, but once again, there were just too few and the selection felt super limited.

It’s all stuff that’s fixable if you were gonna remake the game, with a simple “don’t do it the dumbest way possible”, but for stuff that’s relatively easy to fix it really dragged the game down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

ones "that requires me to remember or care about anything session to session."

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

yeah those aren't games those are bullshit wankery by bottom tier writers

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was talking to a guy the other day who had Terminal Reddit Poisoning and makes arguments he doesnt understand based on things he read on the internet. it went kind of like this

"valve is a publicly traded corporation that only serves the interests of the shareholders who know nothing about making games!"
"valve is not publicly traded, the stakeholders are all employees"
"well that doesn't matter they're just making money on the work of other people"
"they're taking a cut in exchange for distribution and hosting services. do you have any idea how expensive that would be for an independent developer"
"who cares about the cost! all you have to do is make a good game and then people will buy it and you don't have to worry about that!"
"cave story was a good game that predated digital storefronts and it only had a tiny cult following for years because it couldn't be distributed effectively"
"well then don't go digital! just print your game on a dvd!"
"spiderweb software used to do that in the early 2000s, do you have any idea how many copies they sold?"
"no but it was better than giving that money to VALVE!"
"well, let's turn this around. you're a musician. how do you feel about bandcamp?"
"i think it's great!"
"but they take a portion of your sales in exchange for distribution."
"well how else am i gonna my music out there?!"

:doh:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i mean, dont give money to anyone ever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

steam and valve are both actually bad though, just not for those particular reasons

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, they certainly aren't good, but there's no way i could host a 3gb game for $5 a pop with unlimited downloads and expect to make money on it.

itch is an alternative but it's so underground that you may as well be burying anything you post on it, well, in the ground

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

Care to provide some examples?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the old 2d anno games are good. same with the first tropico

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Also basically all the dev storefronts suck and I actively will boycott a game if I can’t get it on steam without using some other lovely launcher.

They need to do something about all the shovel ware they have clogging up everything tho.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Care to provide some examples?

basically any rpg, especially ones with a 300 hour completion time that would be 40 if the writer had any skill or perhaps an editor

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I would rather a game have unskippable cutscenes than unpausable ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Gaben is actually the villain for locking us all into his lovely monopoly storefront, and epic is cool and good for giving away lots of good games for free and giving devs a larger cut of sales