Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
*BEST (ABEST, EBEST, etc.) are the cheap Chinese junk brands that litter Amazon with the same product but with like 5 different brands. From my experience with other stuff like that I wouldn't trust the brushes to not scratch up poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For a only $16 bucks, seems like a steal. Spray jar and a nozzle reamer are super useful tools.

'Only' $17 but that adds up fast when you're buying everything else. Especially if you then plan on going and getting some Air-line paints.

I'm still waiting on my replacement air regulator so I haven't done any airbrushing yet, but I've been watching a poo poo ton of this dude's videos after someone linked me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

He really seems to know what he's doing, so I'm fairly convinced those cleaning pots are kinda superfluous; I'd rather get a handful of paints or some basing materials or maybe even a cheap character model with that money. $8 more and you've a Myphitic Blight Hauler!

Also after some discussion earlier in the thread about priming via airbrush, I'm a little confused. I was planning on priming my Death Guard white with the Liquitex White Ink I bought, then just brush on various shades of whites and greens on top of that. Will that work?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Never use wire brushes to clean out your airbrush, they will only make the problem worse in the future as they remove the smooth finish that helps prevent paint sticking. If you get dried paint in an area you cannot reach with paper towel, get some interdental brushes as they are entirely plastic and cannot scratch anything.

Sab669 posted:

Also after some discussion earlier in the thread about priming via airbrush, I'm a little confused. I was planning on priming my Death Guard white with the Liquitex White Ink I bought, then just brush on various shades of whites and greens on top of that. Will that work?

Primer has a very different makeup compared to standard paint or ink which allows it to adhere better to smooth surfaces. You CAN use normal paint as a primer, but it's just not going to stick as well and might randomly scrape off at the slightest touch. Pick up a bottle of Stynylrez Black, then zenithal your white ink over that for instant shading and a wonderful starting point for your painting.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 1, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the pot is nice as an airbrush holder if nothing else, I use mine every time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cinara posted:

Pick up a bottle of Stynylrez Black, then zenithal your white ink over that for instant shading and a wonderful starting point for your painting.

Black's out of stock on Amazon, gray it is :v: I was never a fan of priming black anyways, it darkens everything so much. I assume still add a little Flow Improver to this stuff?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Eej posted:

*BEST (ABEST, EBEST, etc.) are the cheap Chinese junk brands that litter Amazon with the same product but with like 5 different brands. From my experience with other stuff like that I wouldn't trust the brushes to not scratch up poo poo.

It's the exact same spray jar that the big companies buy and just slap their name on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah a jar's a jar I was speaking more to the stuff that'll be poking delicate parts*

*not an innuendo

e: derp mixed up replies

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cinara posted:

Never use wire brushes to clean out your airbrush, they will only make the problem worse in the future as they remove the smooth finish that helps prevent paint sticking. If you get dried paint in an area you cannot reach with paper towel, get some interdental brushes as they are entirely plastic and cannot scratch anything.

Booyah- posted:

the pot is nice as an airbrush holder if nothing else, I use mine every time

I just swapped it out for this listing, which is just the pot on it's own for about $5 less. We have some narrow brushes that aren't metal wire (maybe the actual stem is, have to check), but the bristles are plastic. Still haven't order anything but the airbrush at this point.

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is the need for a spraybooth. A quick search online shows that you can make a spray booth for cheap rather than buying one, but I think with a lot of them, the idea is setting it up so you can ventilate it out the window, and I don't know how that would work for me. I'd be doing it out in the shed, and the only opening is the door, so I'd have to feed it from the side of the room over to the door, which would be really awkward.

Sab669 posted:

Black's out of stock on Amazon, gray it is :v: I was never a fan of priming black anyways, it darkens everything so much. I assume still add a little Flow Improver to this stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-B...ps%2C222&sr=8-1 :confused:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Paragon8 posted:

If you can get your hands on Ammo by mig products they've relabelled Stynylrez with "one-shot" primer.

Oh, good to know, thanks a lot!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So in my various testing of making some ice bases, I think I need to pick up an actual two part resin. I've been trying out the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water that I already had which works wonderfully for actual water, but on ice it just doesn't cure hard enough or flat enough. Because it's so thin, it creeps up the edge of anything I try to submerge into it, which would be fine on a much larger piece but ends up ruining the effect on a 32mm base. Plus I can't cut into it to create cracks, because it just flexes and bends and practically reseals my cuts.

Still have a couple that turned out ok that and need to refine further, will get some pictures of them once everything is finished drying.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Cinara posted:

So in my various testing of making some ice bases, I think I need to pick up an actual two part resin. I've been trying out the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water that I already had which works wonderfully for actual water, but on ice it just doesn't cure hard enough or flat enough. Because it's so thin, it creeps up the edge of anything I try to submerge into it, which would be fine on a much larger piece but ends up ruining the effect on a 32mm base. Plus I can't cut into it to create cracks, because it just flexes and bends and practically reseals my cuts.

Still have a couple that turned out ok that and need to refine further, will get some pictures of them once everything is finished drying.

Check out instant cure resin. You can put it wherever you need it and then shine a UV torch at it to make it harden instantly. You can buy GSW branded stuff but I recommend getting generic for much cheaper. I specifically bought this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KK37R42/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XpFjFbXRESKEH

It works great for ice bases, especially icicles. You can also buy model train boulder molds and make large glacial ice pieces. Squidmar did a video on the stuff and used that technique and it came out really cool.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So in trying to figure out what converter I need to get for the Badger, I found this video on how you can modify a shop compressor with a moisture trap filter and connectors to make it work with an airbrush. We have that kind of compressor already, so I thought about trying this first before buying another compressor.

However, now I need to figure out what kind of hose/adapter I need. I found this one on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it comes with the proper adapter.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Goofy question, are the tips on the vallejo dropper bottles removeable? I just want to put a bead in there to help shake the paint but don't want to break anything

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Oh I really like that idea with the boulder molds! I even already have some of those and will have to give that a try for sure. The instant cure resin seems like it might be the way to go for smaller scale stuff like bases, especially the 32mm ones. For stuff like dreads or titans a real resin may still be better but I won't be doing any of those until I have a process I am happy with.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Goofy question, are the tips on the vallejo dropper bottles removeable? I just want to put a bead in there to help shake the paint but don't want to break anything

Yea the tip just pulls out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not a goofy question at all because I didn’t realise this was possible for a long time

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jesus WEP posted:

Can you just dump all the parts of an airbrush into a ultrasonic bath? That would be an amazing effort-saver if that’s an option

Yes.

keep the needle out. Break the brush down into a few parts and watch your 'clean' airbrush cough up a bunch of crap you couldn't see.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cinara posted:

Yea the tip just pulls out.

awesome, thanks

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

So in trying to figure out what converter I need to get for the Badger, I found this video on how you can modify a shop compressor with a moisture trap filter and connectors to make it work with an airbrush. We have that kind of compressor already, so I thought about trying this first before buying another compressor.

However, now I need to figure out what kind of hose/adapter I need. I found this one on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it comes with the proper adapter.

What I did was take my hose and the compressor connection to the local Home Depot, in the plumbing dept they have a board with all kinds of threaded connectors on it, I figured out what I needed on each end then found an adapter that matched both. It was like 4$.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was thinking I'd experiment with pre-shading by darkening specific regions, rather than black-grey-white zenithyl so I don't want to wait another week+ after already having this airbrush setback.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thundrik's Profiteers finished! I wish I had thought to give them hats before I got the other two painted, but I don't really want to do surgery on a painted mini.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Magnets I've been using are too small and weak to hold warjack limbs. Gotta dig them out and replace em. That's a bummer

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

What I did was take my hose and the compressor connection to the local Home Depot, in the plumbing dept they have a board with all kinds of threaded connectors on it, I figured out what I needed on each end then found an adapter that matched both. It was like 4$.

Do you think I could find the hose at Home Depot as well, or would I need to order that online?

I'm sorry I'm asking about every single aspect of this. Today's been kind of stressful for various reasons, and impulsively buying the airbrush added to that.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Hope you guys don't mind I keep X-Posting.

Alokgen posted:

I finished another Indomitus Necron.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I'm going back and basing some dwarves I've been painting for aos, is there a good method for basing finished minis? They're pretty low and wide so there's not much space to work on the base, am I better of just breaking them off and redoing the base?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Alokgen posted:

Hope you guys don't mind I keep X-Posting.

Im cross about how good this model looks.

Salt weathering? How did you get that subtle rust in there?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

DiHK posted:

Im cross about how good this model looks.

Salt weathering? How did you get that subtle rust in there?
Its even lower effort than that. It's just sponged on with a small piece of pluck foam.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thundrik's Profiteers finished! I wish I had thought to give them hats before I got the other two painted, but I don't really want to do surgery on a painted mini.

Go all in and paint another set of them! They wear the hats when they're inspired!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Slaanesh and Tzeentch had a bit of a tiff the other day.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
i did not need to spend a billion hours lovingly detailing tiny freehand lightning bolts on these already extremely elaborate models but i did anyway

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I'm going back and basing some dwarves I've been painting for aos, is there a good method for basing finished minis? They're pretty low and wide so there's not much space to work on the base, am I better of just breaking them off and redoing the base?

Depends what you want to do with the base tbh. If you are just putting down flock or sand (or static grass or whatever) then I probably wouldnt bother taking them off, just be careful putting on the glue that you dont end up with it halfway up their ankles (and if you are painting your base covering be very careful around the feet, although if they get a little base colouring on them its not the end of the world, they are after all walking through that base). If they already take up most of the space you probably dont have much room for anything else other than maybe a small rock or skull. If you are putting down a texture paste of some description you are probably better off taking them off the base depending how thick you are applying it, both to avoid getting it on the mini and to avoid looking like they are sinking into it when its around their feet.

If you are wanting to do something elaborate with the base then yeah, better taking them off the base to do it. Sliding a thin blade between foot and base is better than breaking them off to avoid snapping them at the ankle and leaving the feet still on the base (although with dwarves you are probably okay they tend to have sturdy limbs). Be careful the model doesnt go flying when you do this, I usually cut downwards onto my cutting mat with a folded paper towel round the miniature to "catch" it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thanqol posted:

i did not need to spend a billion hours lovingly detailing tiny freehand lightning bolts on these already extremely elaborate models but i did anyway

That picture is really really good. There's a "300" vibe to it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put my commander on a proper sized base by just gluing it to a new one, and then painted up a cyclic ion blaster to be as WYSIWYG as possible. Can't wait to run a farsight enclave list with this guy

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

No, of course I didnt go out on a non-essential shopping trip for the first time in 11 weeks, impulse purchase Hexwraith Glow and move certain models to the top of the unpainted pile just as an excuse to try it out. Why would you think that?

Anyway on an unrelated note, this week I painted some Wizz Bang crew models for Malifaux.

The Lightning Bugs (all contrast apart from the Hexwraith Glow)

Their Boss, Wong, and his lovely assistant Olivia Bernard (again, all contrast apart from a little metallic)

Sammy LaCroix, who wasnt in the same ebay lot but can work with them so might as well get him done too. Mostly but not entirely contrast. I built a slight slope into the base where he would be standing when basing him because otherwise he's so stooped over that none of his face is visible at all.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey folx, I've got this mint green shaltari fleet I'm painting and I'm just curious about what the best way to go about washing it is? I don't want the wash to look too dirty and grey and I don't want it to look too vivid and green, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Pas'oriel, the demonic patron of the Seven Scribes despises them for what they have done to her. Once she was sleek, magnificent, wondrous - the fairest servant of the Changer of Ways. Cast into Grandfather Nurgle's pot alongside her Alpha Legion wards, she no longer resembles her once-fair self. So she furiously garbs herself with gold and gemstones, adorning her corpulent and diseased flesh like a magpie bejewelling its nest. She holds the warband personally responsible for her state, but as the Alpha Legion are proud so is she - and the Scribes can usually talk her over with great flattery and offerings of wealth. The Seven Scribes as a result of their relationship with this daemon frequently send agents to perform bank heists or rid noble spires - a practice that occasionally causes them to neglect their true objectives, and once has had them censured by the Warmaster.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

Hey folx, I've got this mint green shaltari fleet I'm painting and I'm just curious about what the best way to go about washing it is? I don't want the wash to look too dirty and grey and I don't want it to look too vivid and green, so I'm a bit lost.

I am far from an expert but I wonder if contrast apothecary white thinned with contrast medium 2:1 or maybe 1:1 could work here?

Interested to hear what smarter peeps than I have to say.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

For my birthday, I treated myself to a Contemptor Dreadnought.

I used a very basic paint scheme, only a little fancier than what I use on my Intercessors. I primed black, gave it a light hit of a dark gray on top, and then went in to the details. Steel was done with Coat d'Arms Gun Metal, Reaper True Silver, and Vallejo Chrome. I also drybrushed over the corners and bits with some of the Gun Metal to help it look more worn.

I also experimented with the new Citadel colors a bit. The bronze bits were done with Runelord Brass. I didn't like it at first. It had no real contrast against the steel. But once I hit it with the Skorpekh wash, it really came out. I also used the new Tesseract Glow on the lenses, with a little dab of Contrast Warpstone Green on the upper bits.

I really love the sculpt they gave the Iron Hands contemptor's head. Very robotic.

In my never-ending quest to try and paint like the grown-ups, I've started using pigments for weathering my dudes. I also liberally applied it to the base to help the two blend together.

I tried to smush the grass down where its footsteps had fallen, but I'm not sure it quite came out.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Mann! How can that be an Iron Hands dreadnought? It doesn't have any hands of any metal or alloy!" That's where my secret weapon comes in.

Magnets. How do they work?

Pretty drat well, as it happens. This will also help if, say, the contemptor stays good but the twin lascannon becomes bad. It's much cheaper to buy one or two weapons than to buy an entirely new model, after all.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied. I sometimes struggle to feel like I'm making any real progress on painting, but I do think I'm starting to get better.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cross-postin' this Stone Golem from the Oath thread. This is one of the few Bones minis that didn't annoy me with really soft / mushy details, mainly because it's just blocky rear end hell and has no little fiddly bits. Never tried any kind of lava effect before and I'm not totally happy with it - I think it's mostly an issue of the luminosity / saturation not look right, so maybe I need to play around with fluorescent paints next time?

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Thanks, I tried going with just glue but it would bunch up too much around the feet, I just ended using a thing exacto knife to separate them from their bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Cross-postin' this Stone Golem from the Oath thread. This is one of the few Bones minis that didn't annoy me with really soft / mushy details, mainly because it's just blocky rear end hell and has no little fiddly bits. Never tried any kind of lava effect before and I'm not totally happy with it - I think it's mostly an issue of the luminosity / saturation not look right, so maybe I need to play around with fluorescent paints next time?

I'd say you need the glow to extend into the panels a little more and go further into the oranges/reds with it when you do. It looks like it's hot in between the panels but it doesn't look like it's molten UNDER the panels as much because the panels themselves don't look much like they're heating up.

I'd also probably make them darker, just because contrast will sell the illusion better.