Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://twitter.com/fatmans77/status/1290676891972767745?s=20

In this one you can see lots of little flashes first - perhaps it was a fireworks factory?

stev posted:

This is a really cool idea, although I imagine Bermondsey's going to be a really tough market to crack. It'd be good to see some new blood in that area though.

I'm not sure how similar it is to what you're planning but there's a similar-ish place in Hackney called Brew Club in case you want to check out the competition. (They don't focus much on their own brewing and a lot of their time spent is on brewing classes).

Thank you - Brew Club is a similar idea, but it's very transactional - the focus there is around single visits, whereas for Mash Paddle Brewery the plan is to have members who come back on a regular basis. It's like getting fit - you don't buy an exercise bike, and a treadmill, and a rowing machine, and a set of weights - you just join a gym. So it's like a gym except you get less healthy.

365 is the number of days in a normal year. Not this hell year though, which is either 366, 1 long nightmare, or 10252535 days, depending.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lol, Aaron Bastani posted that the Beirut blast "looked like it might be a thermobaric weapon" and promptly deleted.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

https://twitter.com/fatmans77/status/1290676891972767745?s=20

In this one you can see lots of little flashes first - perhaps it was a fireworks factory?

you'd have to have some incredible balls to be manufacturing fireworks in the middle of a civil war

much more likely some sort of munitions factory IMO

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Apparently it's at the port, so maybe munitions shipment?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pablo Bluth posted:

How accurate is the slang in that compared to the accent? Is it reasonable if exaggerated words badly pronounced or nonsense words badly pronounced?

Many of the words are right but they've deliberately packed them together way more densely than any normal speaker would, the cadence is all wrong, and the actor sounds like he's deliberately trying to sound muffled and unclear, letting his words trail off and run into each other and taking a pretty relaxed approach to grammar (which native speakers do, but this feels deliberate and excessive).

I can just about parse it because I am familiar with the dialect, but it 100% feels like they've thrown a dart at a map of Britain (minus the South East), looked at a bunch of vocabulary from whenever it landed, and then told an actor to use those words while sounding vaguely 'regional' and comically incomprehensible without ever actually listening to someone from that area speak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

Lol, Aaron Bastani posted that the Beirut blast "looked like it might be a thermobaric weapon" and promptly deleted.

I mean it does but that's just because that's what big explosions look like.

The little explosions definitely look like something is cooking off, so yeah either fireworks factory or munitions dump.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Question IRL posted:

The Sci-Fi show The Expanse has a group of people called Belters, who live on the parts of the Solar System outside Earth and Mars. They all have an accent that is part South Afrikan, part Dutch, part Creole and part Kiwi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HexX3Oxso

In the books the belter dialect is nigh incomprehensible to most people, I kind of wish they'd gone with subtitles and crazy rear end upspin chatter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems like they put a fireworks shipment next to a grain silo. Genius.

https://twitter.com/conflictsw/status/1290676395316850688?s=21

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/ZaidBenjamin5/status/1290678284536045568

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Particularly enjoying the several replies to IDS's tweet that are all on the lines of 'This is coward May's surrender deal! Let's rip it up so that Bulldog Boris can play another Brexit Blinder that's Best for Britain and says Bollocks to Barnier!' with hundreds of likes, and then the replies to those which explain that, no, it's actually's Boris's deal, and have 2 likes each.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hopefully if it had been going off for a while and they knew it was fireworks they will have evacuated everyone.

Apraxin posted:

Particularly enjoying the several replies to IDS's tweet that are all on the lines of 'This is coward May's surrender deal! Let's rip it up so that Bulldog Boris can play another Brexit Blinder that's Best for Britain and says Bollocks to Barnier!' with hundreds of likes, and then the replies to those which explain that, no, it's actually's Boris's deal, and have 2 likes each.

I mean it is may's deal but that's because boris literally just pushed may's deal again with the northern ireland bit smudged out.

Which people did say at the time but let's not let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

Many of the words are right but they've deliberately packed them together way more densely than any normal speaker would, the cadence is all wrong, and the actor sounds like he's deliberately trying to sound muffled and unclear, letting his words trail off and run into each other and taking a pretty relaxed approach to grammar (which native speakers do, but this feels deliberate and excessive).

I can just about parse it because I am familiar with the dialect, but it 100% feels like they've thrown a dart at a map of Britain (minus the South East), looked at a bunch of vocabulary from whenever it landed, and then told an actor to use those words while sounding vaguely 'regional' and comically incomprehensible without ever actually listening to someone from that area speak.

Yeah my granda (who'd be 101 this year) sounded precisely nothing like that, although I picked out some of the words. It is a very random area for an American show to choose, they've heard of Liverpool and Manchester just about, and Scotland of course. Maybe they googled "least comprehensible English dialect"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1290679306293780480?s=08

That ain't fireworks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hopefully if it had been going off for a while and they knew it was fireworks they will have evacuated everyone.

I mean it is may's deal but that's because boris literally just pushed may's deal again with the northern ireland bit smudged out.

Which people did say at the time but let's not let facts get in the way of a good argument.

You seen the videos? Evacuating everyone in a built-up urban area from a blast that large is impossible unless you're the loving Flash.

In other news, the Southbank Centre is getting straight-up cannibalised.

quote:

When Southbank Centre reopens in 2021 it will operate with an entirely new operating structure, based, according to senior management, on a ‘start-up’. Staff have been told that the centre’s programme of contemporary art exhibitions, classical and contemporary music and literature events will be allocated just 10% of capacity across its venues with 90% reserved for rental. This decision completely undermines the integrity of these respected cultural venues and will cause lasting damage to the ability of the Southbank Centre to provide for its audiences and fulfil the terms of its grant from Arts Council England (ACE). There has been no indication of how this business model could be reversed in future.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Saros posted:

In the books the belter dialect is nigh incomprehensible to most people, I kind of wish they'd gone with subtitles and crazy rear end upspin chatter.

I had to switch subtitles on anyway, so I agree they should have gone all in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks a lot like a large amount of fertilizer cooking off.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Lovely how our national news org immediately jumps to linking it to the pending Hariri assassination verdict before knowing anything at all about what happened.

'just asking questions' of course

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
the loving scale of that explosion holy poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NLJP posted:

Lovely how our national news org immediately jumps to linking it to the pending Hariri assassination verdict before knowing anything at Al about what happened

Beirut blast: Explosion rocks city as Jeremy Corbyn sits down for dinner

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

You seen the videos? Evacuating everyone in a built-up urban area from a blast that large is impossible unless you're the loving Flash.

I mean it appears to be at a port, not the city center, and the people fairly close to it seem to at least be still standing afterwards though I wouldn't like to think about their eardrums.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

the loving scale of that explosion holy poo poo

The shockwave looks a lot more spectacular because of the humidity - this vid, which looks like it's taken from within a few hundred metres, suggests it's not actually that huge an explosion simply because the glass balcony is still there and those things can shatter in a decent storm.

https://twitter.com/allushiii_new/status/1290672503275356161

I still don't think it's fireworks - it's almost impossible to make them all go off at once like that - but the explosions beforehand *may* be. If anything, that looks a lot more like a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Escaping Vapour Explosion), especially the way it seems to calm down just before the main explosion. Someone keeping their fireworks stash next to the tank farm?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yea fireworks my rear end, the entire streets and buildigns around it are just disintegrating :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

Yea fireworks my rear end, the entire streets and buildigns around it are just disintegrating :stare:

The grain silo is probably gone but I think, and hope, the rest is just dust being kicked up and superficial damage.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

josh04 posted:

Annoyingly, all the worst people will jump on this, but he really is a loving idiot who needs to shut up sometimes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The grain silo is probably gone but I think, and hope, the rest is just dust being kicked up and superficial damage.

Whats your definition of superficial?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Mate, people will have literally been vaporised in that blast, they own flesh peeling off and burning like terminator 2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking about the apartments across the road which probably have more people in them than the warehouses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Beirut blast: Explosion rocks city as Jeremy Corbyn sits down for dinner

It's the beans talking.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TheRat posted:

just a little dusty, it's still good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Looks a lot like a large amount of fertilizer cooking off.

https://twitter.com/sewella/status/1290678063643140097?s=21

Fireworks shipment next to a nitrate warehouse. Jesus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If the second explosion was a grain silo going up, I wouldn't be surprised. Dust explosions are incredibly powerful.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
fireworks factory next to a chemical/gas storage? looks like an initial fire tripped something else into exploding

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Those are warehouses, that sort of thing can happen with a 0.5psi overpressure - look at the damage from around Buncefield.

Assuming that building right next to the explosion is a grain silo, and it's non-reinforced concrete, the fact it's still there at all speaks volumes. People (and glass) within 500 metres were uninjured so - fingers, toes, and everything else crossed - that suggests the fatal radius may only have been a couple of hundred metres, most of which was the port. loving sucks for the people working there, but that's dozens to hundreds, not the thousands to hundred-thousands of deaths you might assume from an explosion that big in a densely-populated city.

Ash Crimson posted:

Mate, people will have literally been vaporised in that blast, they own flesh peeling off and burning like terminator 2

gently caress me could you sound a bit less like you're masturbating to the thought?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, turns out the city's main grain elevator was right next door as well.

https://twitter.com/intelcrab/status/1290676260264448000?s=21

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress me could you sound a bit less like you're masturbating to the thought?

What are you trying to imply here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are warehouses, that sort of thing can happen with a 0.5psi overpressure - look at the damage from around Buncefield.

Assuming that building right next to the explosion is a grain silo, and it's non-reinforced concrete, the fact it's still there at all speaks volumes. People (and glass) within 500 metres were uninjured so - fingers, toes, and everything else crossed - that suggests the fatal radius may only have been a couple of hundred metres, most of which was the port. loving sucks for the people working there, but that's dozens to hundreds, not the thousands to hundred-thousands of deaths you might assume from an explosion that big in a densely-populated city.

Yes, in particular I am hopeful that it hasn't caused any of the concrete buildings nearby to collapse with people in them, like those large towers that just got hit with a massive pressure wave, or as said the apartments nearby.

They won't have any TV aerials any more but the people inside might be OK.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to imply here

I don't think I was being particularly coy.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Starting to think she might be a parody account.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I was being particularly coy.

nah you're just being a dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/sewella/status/1290678063643140097?s=21

Fireworks shipment next to a nitrate warehouse. Jesus.
dockside planning dot osha