Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

final fantasy 7 isn't exactly that bad in that regard compared to like, any other anime. It has a lot of good dialogue too, some great jokes in it. Its not like its Xenoblade Chronicles or whatever.

Xenoblade 2 have some great dialogs. Nia is brilliant, but not only Nia. Also it kind of give context to the typical "always optimist" hero.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has kind of bad dialogs. But is a walking simulator, so that can be ignored, character are not the point of the game.

Never played the original Xenoblade, but had fame of being bland character-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

The constant creepy laughing is because they’re all desperately resisting going hollow

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For real though I never noticed this anime noise thing at all while playing through FF7R but I bet it’ll drive me crazy if I ever play it again now so thanks jerks!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

For real though I never noticed this anime noise thing at all while playing through FF7R but I bet it’ll drive me crazy if I ever play it again now so thanks jerks!!!

It's like when you're listening to a classic Biggie song, just the easiest and smoothest flow of any rapper in history, and then you start to notice Puff Daddy is also mumbling nonsense in the background of the mix for nearly the entire runtime, and it's distracting and he sucks so why did they leave him on this immaculate track??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MechaSeinfeld posted:

HZD was getting dumped on because it came out in the same year as botw so there were like video comparisons showing that stuff like running in the water in Horizon made less splashes than in Zelda.

I always found those videos funny, because they were made to :iceburn: HZD but mostly just showcased that it looked 10 times better than BOTW.

And I say that as someone who thinks BOTW is easily one of the best games ever made and like it way more than HZD. I love them both though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Necrothatcher posted:

If you think this is Shakespearean you're going to get your mind blown by a Shakespeare play.

Shakespeare cannot be "shakespearean" unless you claim that he's only been inspired by himself

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
HZD has some pretty interesting combat. Fighting the medium and large machines is pretty unique, as far as games go.

OTOH, fighting humans is really cookie-cutter generic stuff that probably should have been left on the cutting room floor. This would have made more thematic sense, too. Throw some humanoid robots in the mix if you really feel the game is missing traditional combat.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Imhotep posted:

It sucks too cause Horizon is way better than BotW.

I agree. Hopefully BotW2 is better but the lack of plot and actual dungeons meant that I never bothered to finish BotW. Plus other annoying stuff like weapon durability and the rain.

Once I started HZD I couldn't put it down till I'd finished it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I do like Horizon much more than BotW. I keep bouncing off BotW but I am blasting through HZD again on PC (where I am having an even better time than on PS4).

It might rise to #3 of all time for me after this playthrough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything about BOTW sucked me in. I just felt totally engaged with everything the whole time. twice. Ymmv but I thought it was a loving brilliant game and I already want to play it again.

HZD structurally is a very standard issue open world game, but the machine combat is unique and extremely satisfying. The story is unexpectedly one of my favorites in a game. It seems so blasé at first but the deeper you dig it just get more and more interesting and completely deviates from the YA style opening into some real crazy poo poo that puts all of the pieces together so well. Also it's just amazing looking on both a technical and art direction level.

Still I'd choose BOTW any day but who gives a gently caress, I don't have to choose. They are both great. BOTW is definitely one of my "stuck on a deserted island" games though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People here seem to have a weird memory of Horizon Zero Dawn. It was super hyped, was always gonna sell a million bazillion copies, and then proceeded to do just that. Some NeoGAF thread with 14 views making fun of the animation does not a public groundswell make.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

exquisite tea posted:

People here seem to have a weird memory of Horizon Zero Dawn. It was super hyped, was always gonna sell a million bazillion copies, and then proceeded to do just that. Some NeoGAF thread with 14 views making fun of the animation does not a public groundswell make.

there were a lot of people really invested in being mad about it "ripping off botw" tho, it was contentious for made up reasons but it was.

also i don't see how anyone can compare those two games with a straight face, they play absolutely nothing alike at all. its very, very dumb.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That video is hilarious though, I’m glad I didn’t see it and I’m pretty sure I didn’t find that quest either or I would’ve been pretty put off by it. He literally sounds like the character Will Forte plays in a few Tim and Eric sketches.

Edit: I literally only said ‘HZD is better than BotW’ because someone mentioned how they came out within the same month or week or whatever and whenever that has been brought up, followed by a multi page argument about which one is better, at least like twice and I was just kidding and thought it was obviously a fake ‘bait’ post. I do remember people saying they played Horizon immediately after BotW and being annoyed you couldn’t climb everything, but that’s a pretty absurd mechanic in like any game, unless you’re Spider Man or have a bunch of Bridges Ladders. Also I enjoy trying to make Aloy jump up an almost sheer cliff on tiny rocks the game clearly doesn’t intend for you to use and trying to go straight over mountains instead of traveling around it, way more fun than the climbing mechanic in BotW.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The human animations in HZD aren't that great but the robot animations are incredible. I think its funny that people can make the blanket statement "The animations are bad" while ignoring the most unique and prominent aspect of the game.

I looove HZD though. I am an ardent defender of that game. The DLC improves the cutscene animations a ton too.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My biggest difficulty in HZD on PS4 is gone. I can now aim arrows properly and fast. I might actually be able to do the lodges!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The idea of robot dinosarus was cheesey back them, like some Satuday Morning Cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVUIBNv3SQ&t=155s

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it was cool in the transformers, it was cool in the game

ugh i'm gonna need to play that game again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tei posted:

The idea of robot dinosarus was cheesey back them, like some Satuday Morning Cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVUIBNv3SQ&t=155s

Yeah but but one of HZD's most impressive feats is that by the end you'll be like "robot dinosaurs...makes sense I guess"

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I just remembered that Michael Bay was like ‘what if there were two transformers... who were black’ and I just barely remember this from seeing part of one of the movies when I worked at a theater years ago, but god drat this is so offensive how the hell did this make it in the movie lmao https://youtu.be/PhvIwydj-Dw

Are they in that Platinum Transformers game, or was that based on the movie? I heard it was bad but the combat was okay, and I’ve never played any of Platinum’s big licensed games, but I’m curious now that I’ve played Bayonetta 1 and 2, Nier: Automata, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising and Astral Chain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Platinum game was based on the 80's cartoon. It wasn't very good though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Imhotep posted:

It sucks too cause Horizon is way better than BotW.

:respek:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really convenient that people who don't like BOTW are so vocal about it because it makes it really easy to figure out who's opinions I don't care about.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I dont have an opinion on botw cuz I've never played it and probably never will

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BOTW was Nintendo gamers' first introduction to something as complex as you'd see on a PS3 so you have to cut them some slack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did nobody playtest Seesaw in Fall Guys? It's just utterly un-fun and keeps rolling for me regularly.

The problems are obvious from any single run too, with big groups just bottlenecked repeatedly waiting for a viable path, or the physics loving you because the see-saw's juuust a shade too elevated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

It's really convenient that people who don't like BOTW are so vocal about it because it makes it really easy to figure out who's opinions I don't care about.

Lol if you care about anyone's opinion

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did nobody playtest Seesaw in Fall Guys? It's just utterly un-fun and keeps rolling for me regularly.

The problems are obvious from any single run too, with big groups just bottlenecked repeatedly waiting for a viable path, or the physics loving you because the see-saw's juuust a shade too elevated.

You can get the hang of the physics after a few runs. I'm fairly comfortable getting through quickly at this point. But it's definitely one of the worse games to roll up.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I enjoyed them both, I just thought HZD’s combat was a lot more interesting 🤷🏻‍♂️

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
instead of a clock i just refer to the day as bloodborne AM and bloodborne PM, makes it easier to divide the 12 hour spans

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Botw is good.

I beat lightning returns, and thus finally ended the ff13 trilogy, enjoyed attacking and dethroning god. 13-2 is bad, 13-1 has warmed on me this 2nd playthrough but it should have ended there. 13-3 is the better actual game but those days started to drag toward the end. Enjoyed the ending, anime grunts and all. Hope ff7r part 24 gets an ending like that. The final scene means the new world is earth? Lol, guess its not a happy ending after all, hope you like 2020 lightning. I bet snow and hope are cops now

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought each game excelled at different things. I didn't like either one at first but after getting far enough in both of them, I couldn't put either of them down. BotW has some great exploration while HZD had better combat. There was is just so much interesting stuff to see in BotW, that you don't necessarily have to see.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I keep clipping into walls or in Hex-a-gone's case, clipping straight through five layers and losing almost immediately

Grabbing is a crapshoot if it'll work or not

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The Platinum game was based on the 80's cartoon. It wasn't very good though.

What? Yes it is, it's pretty awesome actually!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XtraSmiley posted:

It was ok at best. It was super easy by the end once you realize how broken the combat system is though. Just sideswipe for all eternity with Optimus Prime iirc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

XtraSmiley posted:

Yeah, but it stopped being distributed years ago. Same as countless licensed arcade beat-em-ups from the '90s like The Simpsons and Aliens versus Predator, maybe we'll never see it for sale again. It's a shame.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked how you could turn into a car and do a burnout into a bad guy while both of you are airborne

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, we gotta yet another free BR game coming tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0SrTmM5Kw

Looks fine. It's going to have to be something really special to generate any buzz.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Forgive me

If you’ve ever wanted to dip your toes into Anime but don’t have time for the stinkers, I can recommend Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun as the ultimate pinnacle of “weird outerspace western/noire”. I consider these 3 to just be the best way to spend time watching anime. Each one is a single season, self-contained storylines that don’t bog down with needless exposition and have some common anime tropes before they became exaggerated and tropey. Absolutely ZERO High School.

Giant Robo (1992) and Neon Genesis: Evangelion are to “Giant Robot Anime” what Spec Ops: The Line is to video games. They are brilliant deconstructions of the “little boy big robot” paradigms that take them to positively twisted and dark, hosed up places, while being extremely bright and colorful shows with lots of awesome fights.

If you are looking for the weirdest, most frenetic, high octane anime experience but don’t want to devote 4-10 hours to a whole season, I can’t recommend Dead Leaves or Redline enough! Dead Leaves is an outerspace heist/jailbreak movie and Redline is a futuristic SUPER RACE movie like the games Captain Falcon was in (it’s basically Rock ‘n’ Roll Racing: the movie for 90’s Blizz Kids). The movies are exceptional because they essentially get twice a full seasons animation budget for 90 minutes of run time. Obviously if you haven’t seen Akira yet and are even halfway curious about adult cartoons in general you owe it to yourself, it really changed the game.

I’m not really comfortable recommend anything more recent because anime is a different animal than it was in the 90’s, but all the above stuff really holds up super well and is still incredibly smooth and entertaining and beautiful to watch, IMHO.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I personally demand that all media i consume accurately and perfectly reflect my own culture with zero deviation from established societal norms. The use of exaggerated grunts and gasps is especially egregious. It totally ruins my immersion in games or movies with giant robots, people swinging 8ft long swords around, or jumping 10ft in the air. It makes the whole situation utterly unbelievable to me because I can't imagine a reality outside my own personal sphere of experience where people never stutter, mumble to themselves, or exclaim things gregariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol humans will find a way to argue about anything