Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Kreeblah posted:

The thing I don't get about poo poo like this is, how do these people vote for a party that openly campaigns on "if you're broke, it's your fault" and then expect help? Yeah, I know that they want "the right people" to be hurt, but they've got to know that isn't how the GOP works, right?

It never entered their mind that the leopards might try to eat their faces

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

The thing I don't get about poo poo like this is, how do these people vote for a party that openly campaigns on "if you're broke, it's your fault" and then expect help? Yeah, I know that they want "the right people" to be hurt, but they've got to know that isn't how the GOP works, right?

Not that the Dems would meaningfully do any better (maybe a tax deduction on their 2020 filing next April for people who made less than $x/year in 2019, before there was a pandemic, when they probably still had income), but they at least give lip service to helping people, so I can understand people being hoodwinked there.

Most Americans are incredibly politically ignorant. My girlfriend's aunt had no clue that Trump called the pandemic a hoax or that Republicans think masks are communism until last week.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Anyone posting here by default is "extremely online"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vernii posted:

Most Americans are incredibly politically ignorant. My girlfriend's aunt had no clue that Trump called the pandemic a hoax or that Republicans think masks are communism until last week.

Yeah people just don't want to think about politics. I feel like a lot of people that are excited about Kamala Harris being VP (and anyone excited about Biden honestly) just wants to go back to Obama-era where they could go "there's a black democrat in the white house, how progressive!" and then not think about politics any further.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

"I bet you treat your wife like shirt"

Borat voice my shirt

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

And, they're gonna start that, uh, furniture refinishing business any year now and shortly thereafter that they'll be a millionaire collecting the sweet sweet GOP tax cuts.

It's always unfathomable to me that these people are trying to protect the rich under the pretense that they too will one day be rich, yet they have no plan to do anything except continue to collect barely above minimum wage.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazyweasel posted:

Because until a loving pandemic rolled through and the admins lovely response meant they lost their job and it’s not coming back, the economy was going well for them so the idea they’d be broke never entered their minds. They also conveniently forget Obama did most of the hard work to get them there with nice classic GOP racism leading up to 2016.

the economy hasn't been going well for anyone that isn't a business owner for over a decade; the job market never actually recovered and most job gains were through things like uber and lyft and people "voluntarily" not looking for jobs anymore (and therefore not being included in unemployment statistics)

trump saying he'd fix things appealed to the kind of dipshit who thinks brown people and poor mooches (also brown) are the source of all their problems, and the R next to his name made big money donors trust him as well. things weren't going great and then suddenly bad; most of these people were on the edge of catastrophe and coronavirus drop kicked them right into it

they're still rubes and racist (or at least okay with racism) but it's not like the economy was serving them well

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The post-2008 recovery was a "recovery" only in the sense that the country stopped hemorrhaging jobs, but as countless other people have pointed out, pretty much all the employment "created" after 2008 were the kind where you're one missed paycheck away from disaster.

It can sometimes make a chud's brain spin when you point out that Obama was poo poo at the economy too. He did the absolute bare minimum, and even that's being generous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kreeblah posted:

"I worked hard all my life and earned my lifestyle! The system has always rewarded good people and punished bad people, and I'm a good person so I deserve to be rewarded! I refuse to believe this is happening to me!"

They've gone all in on "gently caress You, Got Mine" even if they were perpetually teetering on the edge of losing their "got mine", but also if they hadn't yet "got mine" but were merely certain it was going to happen any day now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"I worked hard all my life and earned my lifestyle! The system has always rewarded good people and punished bad people, and I'm a good person so I deserve to be rewarded! I refuse to believe this is happening to me!"

They've gone all in on "gently caress You, Got Mine" even if they were perpetually teetering on the edge of losing their "got mine", but also if they hadn't yet "got mine" but were merely certain it was going to happen any day now.

For most American voters, it is merely "gently caress You"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

the philisoher who tells men they should clean their room getting dazzled by the one who looks and acts like an urban raccoon cursed to wear the shape of a man

Zizek's home is neatly organized. Clothes in the cupboards, everything else on the bookshelf. No not in the bookshelf.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Shadow0 posted:

It's always unfathomable to me that these people are trying to protect the rich under the pretense that they too will one day be rich, yet they have no plan to do anything except continue to collect barely above minimum wage.

I think it's the same part of the brain that finds the concept of heaven compelling, the "some day it will all be better" notion

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump's base aren't the people one missed paycheck away from being hosed.

Apr 7, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

Apr 7, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump's base aren't the people one missed paycheck away from being hosed.

His popular base absolutely is.

He's got two kinds of fans, rich people who get richer from Republican policy, and culture warriors. The culture warriors live in decaying shacks like this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The economically comfortable suburbanites are culture warriors too. Poor people don't vote for the most part.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

His popular base absolutely is.

He's got two kinds of fans, rich people who get richer from Republican policy, and culture warriors. The culture warriors live in decaying shacks like this

I think the bulk of them are comfortable suburbanites.

Apr 7, 2003

A majority of white people voted for Trump, yeah.

A majority of white people are poor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A majority of white people voted for Trump, yeah.

A majority of white people are poor.

Are a majority of white voters poor?

Apr 7, 2003

In my experience in western PA, the suburbanites are the 'gay marriage is okay but keep the poors out of my face' sort that looooooove corporate Dems. The real Trumpy ones live in the middle of nowhere and once you get ten miles out of the city it's dire.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Are a majority of white voters poor?

yeah? The median personal income in this country is like $30K and change and that includes white people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah? The median personal income in this country is like $30K and change and that includes white people.

Only about a quarter of all voters in 2016 were poor - over half of non-voters (almost 60 percent) were.

Apr 7, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Only about a quarter of all voters in 2016 were poor - over half of non-voters (almost 60 percent) were.

Okay?

Doesn't change what I said. His broad base of support are poor losers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It actually does change what you said and I'll just let you keep being wrong on this I guess.

Apr 7, 2003

You don't spend much time in rural areas, huh?

The suburban counties in Pennsylvania are solidly blue. Trump's base of support in this state is entirely in rural counties. Even Penn fuckin State votes blue.

I can get on the Panhandle Trail and tell when I've crossed into Washington County by the broken down trailer homes with Trump flags.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a selection effect when considering voters: votes are not cast proportionally across populations such that you can assume the 60% of white people who are poor also make up 60% of white voters. Voting is easier for wealthier people and also older people who do not work, who tend to be wealthier also.

Apr 7, 2003

"supporters" and "voters" aren't one contiguous group fyi

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The set "voters" is composed only of people who vote.

Apr 7, 2003

And "popular base" doesn't necessarily mean just voters.

There are plenty of poo poo poor culture warrior Trump supporter losers who throw up flags. Whether they actually vote or not is irrelevant to whether they're in his base.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And "popular base" doesn't necessarily mean just voters.

There are plenty of poo poo poor culture warrior Trump supporter losers who throw up flags. Whether they actually vote or not is irrelevant to whether they're in his base.

But wouldn't you say those people are politically irrelevant until the day they walk into the food court and start shooting?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay?

Doesn't change what I said. His broad base of support are poor losers.

being popular with poor losers is the best thing you can be in this country because this country generates more of them every year

Anyway, that out of the way what's the significance of all this? Sure voters generally self select as wealthier but the ones who voted for him and now regret the potentially deadly consequences of such are already self-selected as voters

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

being popular with poor losers is the best thing you can be in this country because this country generates more of them every year

Anyway, that out of the way what's the significance of all this? Sure voters generally self select as wealthier but the ones who voted for him and now regret the potentially deadly consequences of such are already self-selected as voters

Have we found a single regretful Trump voter who will not still vote for him? Only the dead have left him as far as I can recall.

Apr 7, 2003

But wouldn't you say those people are politically irrelevant until the day they walk into the food court and start shooting?

Not at all, popular movements are self-perpetuating and some portion of these people who join to be a part of something will vote.

Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

The "I voted for Trump but regret doing it and now i won't" pool is practically empty lol

The rich voted for him to get richer and he's delivered.

The poor voted for him to get racism and hate and he's delivered.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Have we found a single regretful Trump voter who will not still vote for him? Only the dead have left him as far as I can recall.

there’s david weissman

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Very few, luckily the thread title doesn't demand a declaration of defection, merely regret. Someone laying out clearly how Trump is going to ruin them right before declaring their support anyway makes things funnier actually, in no small part because the do not see how exactly identical they are to the idiotic liberals they hate in this regard

Apr 7, 2003

I'm horny as gently caress for dead Trump voters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Very few, luckily the thread title doesn't demand a declaration of defection, merely regret. Someone laying out clearly how Trump is going to ruin them right before declaring their support anyway makes things funnier actually, in no small part because the do not see how exactly identical they are to the idiotic liberals they hate in this regard

Liberals follow self-interest as the ultimate good, while the Trumpenproles are willing to die so that their enemies will also die, unless there are psycho liberals who want to die for Biden because it means they won't have to live under Bernie.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Having a bad day, anybody got any dead Trump voter pictures for the class to laugh at?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Kreeblah posted:

The thing I don't get about poo poo like this is, how do these people vote for a party that openly campaigns on "if you're broke, it's your fault" and then expect help?

Eh it's shifted a bit into "If you're broke blame immigrants"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Liberals follow self-interest as the ultimate good, while the Trumpenproles are willing to die so that their enemies will also die, unless there are psycho liberals who want to die for Biden because it means they won't have to live under Bernie.

There are, lol