Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hifi posted:

the new androids are too big

brother needs a new phone and wanted something smallish, cheap, and rugged, so was eyeing the incredibly ugly but otherwise checklist-fulfilling (se-sized) cubot king kong mini. the advertising takes an approach that seems somewhat familiar:

(also as usual a total crapshoot whether it will get security updates, the by far biggest downfall for android in 2020).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ty

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:confused:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

brother needs a new phone and wanted something smallish, cheap, and rugged, so was eyeing the incredibly ugly but otherwise checklist-fulfilling (se-sized) cubot king kong mini. the advertising takes an approach that seems somewhat familiar:

(also as usual a total crapshoot whether it will get security updates, the by far biggest downfall for android in 2020).

your mom experienced the best possible manipulation last night

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

daily driving my new cubot king kong mini with l33thax~~//tw1neditIOn(OC_mod) overclocking and custom store

battery lasts about 2 hours and the phone burns my hand and i can't login to my bank accounts anymore but other than that it works extremely well

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

daily driving my new cubot king kong mini with l33thax~~//tw1neditIOn(OC_mod) overclocking and custom store

battery lasts about 2 hours and the phone burns my hand and i can't login to my bank accounts anymore but other than that it works extremely well

drat sure would be cool if apple made a non-clownshoe sized phone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Lol I haven’t thought about custom roms in a long time. That’s a scene that didn’t last very long

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol I haven’t thought about custom roms in a long time. That’s a scene that didn’t last very long

Bugless Beast

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

Bugless Beast

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Bugless Beast
(not guaranteed to be bugless)

Khanstant posted:

I got the Pixel4a today. Was a bit disappointed they made me use a cable to transfer stuff over from my old phone, maybe that's because it was a motorola device. Previously upgrading between Google devices, it basically connected to my account and did everything itself.

Gonna have to retrain myself for the new finger unlock spot, had gotten used to the thumb one by now. The button doesnt even work on my Moto X4 anymore. Anyway, seems nice so far but I really don't do much with the thing normally so I'm never sure what to even test out.

The default screen protector it comes with stinks, guess I'll have to actually buy one this time since this thing is slightly matte and has a weird flap over usb slot. Usually the default screen protectors have some dumb branding or text, intwending for you to remove it, but if you just persevere the ink rubs off.

The spigen clear plastic case seemed fine for the Moto X4, but I have to think the case itself had something to do with the power button eventually failing to work. I raw dog'd every phone before then, so I have no experience with cases outside of that spigen poo poo, which I got because it was cheap and seemed the most straight forward at the time. Is this like a thing like buying clothes and it's basically all preference or is there some good standard brands for pixel?

Also, where are the buttons? Like, back button and middle button and square-one?
after being told it's not a screen protector by multiple people...

Khanstant posted:

Yeah but it's an old mayor's trick to turn the packaging into the screen protector, since that's also its purpose initially. Seriously, last two phones just had a totally clear material with a little bit printed on it like "don't drive and look at this at night" or whatever and after a week of use it was all gone. I've already started to like this matte effect, I could tape this flap down and cut a hole for the slot...

I'll give these gestures a shot, I learned half the HandSpring special keyboard language back in the day. The normal "back" seems trickiest so far.

CloudPrint needs to step off! I told you thrice, no permission for my email!!!

Khanstant posted:

the flap actually as bad as it seemed at first but the matte effect totally makes everything slightly blurry, I imagine this is what it must be like when your eyesight starts to go.

All joking a salad, I'll get a proper screen protector and case once some reviews for them shake out. I could honestly deal with the flap, but the matte effect is too much .

The gestures so far are great, I'm already pretty used to them and they feel natural. The trickiest one is to bring up the "app switch" screen, if only because you have to kind of linger down low for a moment.

Battery life on this thing seems a bit worse than Moto x4, but need more time to compare. I lose the OG charging brick for the moto so it never rapid-charged anyway, the replacement either sucked or the moto usb got loosey goosey over time because it was always a hard time to recharge it, just wouldn't be charging despite it seemingly to be attached. If the Pixel actually quick-charges it'll be a moot issue, testing that now from 50% battery.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

after being told it's not a screen protector by multiple people...

what the gently caress

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
still thinking about “old mayor’s trick”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

COMPTROLLERS HATE IT!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

El_Elegante posted:

I need to know what this is

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i hear that rascally ol' mayor's at it again with his counterfeit screen protectors down at the 5 and dime. let's go!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol that's right up there with airpods while playing 1-on-1 basketball or during a haircut

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

agreed

Endless Mike posted:

:allears:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

its a no name phone for $100. lmao if you think its going to get a single update

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah that's different from this months $1500 flagship phone that will also not get a single update

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
why would you want to update when they just make the phone worse and android security is a sieve anyway

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

might make my benchmark numbers higher so I can post it on anroidpolice and own those iphone losers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
have android users internalized the fact that their cpu specs are crushed by crApple every year?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

its a no name phone for $100. lmao if you think its going to get a single update

they've been around for like a decade and the original 2018 king kong was last updated last week, so not entirely sure. but, as i noted, a crapshoot pretty much, which is annoying.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Management posted:

have android users internalized the fact that their cpu specs are crushed by crApple every year?
as surprising as it sounds because lol qualcomm, that's not the case anymore at least with benchmarks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

as surprising as it sounds because lol qualcomm, that's not the case anymore at least with benchmarks
iphones are still faster in single-core, but yeah, they've caught up in multi-core, though the the qualcomms need two more cores to do it (and cost three times as much as an SE lmao)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

iphones are still faster in single-core, but yeah, they've caught up in multi-core, though the the qualcomms need two more cores to do it (and cost three times as much as an SE lmao)

wouldn't be android if it wasn't brute force!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

“this year’s flagship androids have caught up with apple’s budget offering that uses the cpu from last year’s iphones” is not exactly a ringing endorsement

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
not just two more cores. there are big, high performance cores, and there are little, efficient cores. the little cores add almost nothing to the overall performance measurement.

the Samsung s20 ultra has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 with 4 big cores. the Apple cpu has 2 big cores and still wins.

that’s a crushing victory.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i haven't thought about how fast my phone's processor is since...2014, maybe?

what the gently caress are you all doing on your phone that requires processors like this? because if it's games lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

put a 4GHz octocore CPU in a phone and it still stutters and lags because the fuckers at Google can't be bothered to update their software

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

what the gently caress are you all doing on your phone that requires processors like this? because if it's games lol

geekbench

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Sagebrush posted:

same except like 2012, if it can do anger bird or whatever the hot timewaster is at the minute i'm happy. it doesn't need to run crysis

also are they still naming anroid after food?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hegel Exercises posted:

same except like 2012, if it can do anger bird or whatever the hot timewaster is at the minute i'm happy. it doesn't need to run crysis

also are they still naming anroid after food?

looks like they stopped when they hit the letter q

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this last page is pretty illustrative why the thread isn't that fun these days. pretty much no one does custom roms anymore, very few people care deeply about performance (especially wacky overclocks are a thing of the past), nor does android run so badly as to be hard to use, nor does it have much in the way in inherent security issues.

what it does have though is a shady advertising company running it, and oems and component makers with all the wrong incentives to make things that last, or are good, or even interesting, in a way that works for people. worst of all google keeps trying to solve the social problems of neither qualcomm or the oems caring about security or updates in the longer term (in fact they are broadly incentivized to not care) by applying technical solutions which achieve nothing.

which is plenty bad, but not that funny to post about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

looks like they stopped when they hit the letter q

the 18th version of android is called android 11

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i’m always going to laugh at folding screen failures and battery fires.:colbert:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I’m disappointed they didn’t just stay on 10 as X and then the new numbering is x2 and x3 until they decided to renumber it as android one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this last page is pretty illustrative why the thread isn't that fun these days. pretty much no one does custom roms anymore, very few people care deeply about performance (especially wacky overclocks are a thing of the past), nor does android run so badly as to be hard to use, nor does it have much in the way in inherent security issues.

what it does have though is a shady advertising company running it, and oems and component makers with all the wrong incentives to make things that last, or are good, or even interesting, in a way that works for people. worst of all google keeps trying to solve the social problems of neither qualcomm or the oems caring about security or updates in the longer term (in fact they are broadly incentivized to not care) by applying technical solutions which achieve nothing.

This thread isn't fun because there hasn't been anything going on with Android for years. I've said forever that Google's only goal for Android was to get wide distribution for their services (and prevent Microsoft from dominating the non-Apple part of the market) and that's what they've accomplished. They have no real incentive to invest in the platform and that's why it's been neglected for at least 4-5 years now.

Android is Windows in 2005. Apple is going to keep taking share from switchers.