Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, having now watched the gameplay trailer, I've got some issues. Even the standard enemies seemed to be taking more of a beating than they would in the earlier games, I assume that has to do with the levelling thing they have going on there but... I'm not sure that's a great idea? I don't hate the idea on bosses like Mr. Freeze, but the standard chumps? I worry it'll do the Borderlands thing where I'd have a run of about 5 levels every... 10 or so, where the enemy health scaled higher than my damage output and were awful to fight until it managed to balance itself out again. I really don't understand why they feel like they need to shoe-horn in these extra RPG elements. Did they go into detail about the loot system? That also worries me, but I have no idea what they'd be going for with that. Also, I stand by my statement that Batgirl's cowl looks awful.

I do like the claim that you can play it solo, but I am also tired of games shoving in co-op. RE6 was awful to play solo because it was quite clearly designed around co-op, and the partner AI sucked. I hope we don't have to deal with that poo poo in this.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Deathstroke in Origins was somewhat praised but in a real love it or hate it way.

I really liked the Deathstroke fight in Origins. Shame about the rematch in Knight.

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress Knight's Deathstroke fight. What a trash sequence, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the look of the Gotham Knights game. Though it's clearly not a sequel to Arkham Knight as there are too many inconsistencies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

I really don't understand why they feel like they need to shoe-horn in these extra RPG elements.

Because honestly they end up being very popular. If the core mechanics of a game end up being good enough (or even if they don't looking at you Borderlands) There's a genuine audience for those kinds of games as long as they have something to make them sell. Not every game is a success but there are enough that are successful that others want to latch on.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Because honestly they end up being very popular. If the core mechanics of a game end up being good enough (or even if they don't looking at you Borderlands) There's a genuine audience for those kinds of games as long as they have something to make them sell. Not every game is a success but there are enough that are successful that others want to latch on.

Are they? Or are they just in so many games that people realise they're gonna either buy a game with them or nothing?

I'm being facetious, but it feels like just about every big game has the exact same mechanics and feel, even when they're part of a series that previously hasn't been like that at all. I dunno, the only Far Cry I've played is Blood Dragon, the only Borderlands I played (well, to completion) was 2, and I completely skip the GAAS like Destiny, so it just feels weird to see everything going this way. It reminds me of how publishers keep declaring singleplayer dead, and then shock of shocks, a good singleplayer game comes out and people actually wanted that, and they'd know if they actually listened.

Also, it looks to me like in merging of the Arkham style and the Ubisoft style they've accidentally created 3D versions of those old Spider-Man beat 'em ups for the SNES/Genesis, the only thing missing is names over their life bars. Did I miss counters happening?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Are they? Or are they just in so many games that people realise they're gonna either buy a game with them or nothing?

I'm being facetious, but it feels like just about every big game has the exact same mechanics and feel, even when they're part of a series that previously hasn't been like that at all. I dunno, the only Far Cry I've played is Blood Dragon, the only Borderlands I played (well, to completion) was 2, and I completely skip the GAAS like Destiny, so it just feels weird to see everything going this way. It reminds me of how publishers keep declaring singleplayer dead, and then shock of shocks, a good singleplayer game comes out and people actually wanted that, and they'd know if they actually listened.

Also, it looks to me like in merging of the Arkham style and the Ubisoft style they've accidentally created 3D versions of those old Spider-Man beat 'em ups for the SNES/Genesis, the only thing missing is names over their life bars. Did I miss counters happening?

Well a recent example, though not multiplayer, is the new Assassin's Creed games which are heavily heavily loot/level focused now and which have been a lot more positively received than the previous attempts.

And you're not wrong but that's unfortunately a side effect of trying to chase the popular thing. Fortnite in particular is probably the golden goose a lot of people are chasing because through as much luck as anything else it not only became literally the biggest game in the world but did so by straight up copying another existing popular game and stapling it onto what was *supposed* to be a PvE horde game. Obviously not everything can be Fortnite or Angry Birds or whatever but good luck getting studio higher ups to acknowledge that, especially when their attempts tend to sell fairly well.

If The Avengers succeeds (which it probably will) it will probably be seen as due to the service model as much or moreso than the fact that it contains a bunch of incredibly popular superheroes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like the look of the Gotham Knights game. Though it's clearly not a sequel to Arkham Knight as there are too many inconsistencies.

It's been confirmed now by the devs it's not connected to Arkham at all in story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League by Rocksteady won't be out until 2022 lol

The presentation is not good

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well a recent example, though not multiplayer, is the new Assassin's Creed games which are heavily heavily loot/level focused now and which have been a lot more positively received than the previous attempts.

And you're not wrong but that's unfortunately a side effect of trying to chase the popular thing. Fortnite in particular is probably the golden goose a lot of people are chasing because through as much luck as anything else it not only became literally the biggest game in the world but did so by straight up copying another existing popular game and stapling it onto what was *supposed* to be a PvE horde game. Obviously not everything can be Fortnite or Angry Birds or whatever but good luck getting studio higher ups to acknowledge that, especially when their attempts tend to sell fairly well.

If The Avengers succeeds (which it probably will) it will probably be seen as due to the service model as much or moreso than the fact that it contains a bunch of incredibly popular superheroes.

Oh, I'm well aware of Ubisoft's convergence of mechanics, it's just that I've actually never heard people love the new RPG mechanics in the Assassin's Creed games, in fact, I've heard a lot of complaints about how the RPG mechanics in the new Assassin's Creeds actively hurt the assassination parts of the game. But they are still better than... Unity and Syndicate? I dunno, I only played like, 1/4 of the first one, but I heard those two were pretty crap.

The more I look at the gameplay video, the less enthused I become. I didn't even notice the two different kinds of currency you apparently get for beating enemies the first few times I examined it. I'm almost wishing we were back to the anti-hype where they make a tease then gently caress off for five months.

Edit: vv Fair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I hesitate to mention it, but the thing that has me most excited about Gotham Knight is no Joker so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League by Rocksteady won't be out until 2022 lol

The presentation is not good

Christ, are they trying to make it a solid 10 years between releases? Because you know they aren't going to meet that date either.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The fact that they have nothing but a CGI trailer to show after all this time is really funny.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I hesitate to mention it, but the thing that has me most excited about Gotham Knight is no Joker so far.

There's gonna be 4 Jokers as the late game reveal. One for each of the playable protags.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

catlord posted:

Ok, having now watched the gameplay trailer, I've got some issues. Even the standard enemies seemed to be taking more of a beating than they would in the earlier games, I assume that has to do with the levelling thing they have going on there but... I'm not sure that's a great idea? I don't hate the idea on bosses like Mr. Freeze, but the standard chumps? I worry it'll do the Borderlands thing where I'd have a run of about 5 levels every... 10 or so, where the enemy health scaled higher than my damage output and were awful to fight until it managed to balance itself out again. I really don't understand why they feel like they need to shoe-horn in these extra RPG elements. Did they go into detail about the loot system? That also worries me, but I have no idea what they'd be going for with that. Also, I stand by my statement that Batgirl's cowl looks awful.

There's several times in the gameplay trailer where they hit the goons with a move that looks like a finisher and then they get up and walk it off like nothing.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KizGbUFCB4

Not gonna lie this looks fun even though I'm beyond sick of evil Superman and have no attachment at all to these characters.

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 23, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone have any emotion when Evil Superman uses his eye beams to murder anyone anymore? I feel like he does that more often than he saves falling planes these days.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This. Ends. Now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The only time the angry eye beam thing was ever cool was in response to ‘Happy birthday, Kryptonian, I give you, oblivion’.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Kinda wish the game was centered around trying and failing to kill Normal Superman while he's going about his day rescuing cats from trees and helping old ladies cross the street.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dan Didio posted:

This. Ends. Now.

Ha, I was going to post this exactly. Who's voicing Harley this time?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's definitely Tara Strong.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Rocksteady guy said this is a continuation of the Arkham game universe, so that's the same Harley.

Which goes to show that yeah, they don't give much of a poo poo about Arkham Origins since Deadshot is black now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Rocksteady guy said this is a continuation of the Arkham game universe, so that's the same Harley.

Which goes to show that yeah, they don't give much of a poo poo about Arkham Origins since Deadshot is black now.

He was white in Arkham City too....

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I am Floyd (black!)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Deadshot's real name Floyd?

Edit: they better have his original outfit as a costume.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Skwirl posted:

Is Deadshot's real name Floyd?

Edit: they better have his original outfit as a costume.

Yup. Floyd Lawton.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yup. Floyd Lawton.

That's really silly to me, no wonder he seriously overcompensated with his secret identity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man I don't even remember him in City.

But the fact that after 5 years, Rocksteady doesn't have anything else on this game but a CGI trailer is laughable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wait, Suicide Squad doesn't have a gameplay trailer? I thought it was just going to take a bit to drop.

Man, the video game portion of the Fandome kinda sucked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like Sunset Overdrive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

catlord posted:

Wait, Suicide Squad doesn't have a gameplay trailer? I thought it was just going to take a bit to drop.

Man, the video game portion of the Fandome kinda sucked.

It's farther away from completion, 2022 release date, Gotham Knights comes out next year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Man I don't even remember him in City.

It's a very minor (and very missable) side story. Plus it doesn't have nearly as cool or interesting end than like, the Hush plot for example. You just dodge some shots, do a stealth takedown, and lock him in a train car, the end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thebardyspoon posted:

There's gonna be 4 Jokers as the late game reveal. One for each of the playable protags.

Some leaks on 4chan about a week ago(that look pretty accurate now) indicate that yeah they actually are going to be implementing some form of the Three Jokers plot that DC has been teasing for years and has only just gotten around to doing anything with

Skwirl posted:

That's really silly to me, no wonder he seriously overcompensated with his secret identity.

Look up his original costume to have a good chuckle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Look up his original costume to have a good chuckle

I've seen it before and if it's not an unlockable I'm boycotting the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not surprised they made Deadshot black even if this is supposed to be staunchly in the Arkham universe, way more people are gonna associate him with Will Smith than his brief appearances in previous games. Plus wasn't he Black in the Assault on Arkham cartoon movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they fix the PC version of Arkham Knight? I never finished that one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Did they fix the PC version of Arkham Knight? I never finished that one.

More or less. I ran it fine, but I had to change the takedown buttons to what they were in the previous games. Seriously, who thought you'd be pressing Alt-1 in the middle of frantic combat?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I forgot I can just redownload the PS4 version. Duh.

Why is Injustice and LEGO Batman DLC mixed in with the listing for Arkham Knight on PSN? Was there like a bundle or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

More or less. I ran it fine, but I had to change the takedown buttons to what they were in the previous games. Seriously, who thought you'd be pressing Alt-1 in the middle of frantic combat?

TBH I doubt they put much thought into keyboard controls for those games at all.

Aphrodite posted:

Why is Injustice and LEGO Batman DLC mixed in with the listing for Arkham Knight on PSN? Was there like a bundle or something?

Probably due to Red Hood.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

TBH I doubt they put much thought into keyboard controls for those games at all.

Right, but it's weird since in City and Origins that same takedown was set to 'E'. They already had keyboard controls for it! Bah, it's a 1 minute fix.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm really not a fan of unlocking random pieces of clashing equipment to give your character better stats and I hope that's not the case with Gotham Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Aphrodite posted:

It just sometimes happens with games on PS4 for some reason, happened with Battlefield 4 and Battlefield One with me for example