Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What kinda weapons do you think we'll get? I could see Link's Magic Rod, Horse, and/or Great Fairy movesets making a return. I could also see him getting a boomerang variant too.
Zelda could get her Rapier moveset back as a variant but they might want to keep her as not being a direct fighter to stay true to her BOTW personality.
The champions all have their signature weapons, don't think we'll get any variants for them.
Impa might have her weapons from HW1 or maybe use an Eightfold Blade
Kohga would levitate and swing around a spiked ball
Robbie would ride Cherry into battle
Purrah will defeat enemies by taking photos of them. Don't ask, it just works.

In the trailer Link is clashing swords with someone who is using a thunderblade (it's not Thunderblight Ganon's sword, it's the type of thunderblade you can use in BOTW) so I guess there's gonna be a villain that uses that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Warriors games are the best hangover games. No real challenge up front or heavy strategy, just mash and sometimes press special for the pretty colors. Also makes them great drunk games.

I'm curious how the maps will be. In Warriors games you generally have big rooms connected by gates or corridors. Not as easy of an import and edit job as with models.

Silver Falcon posted:

I feel you on Cadence of Hyrule. I can't do rhythm games at all. :( I am just physically incapable. I think I have a brain defect.
There is an option to disable the rhythm stuff and play it like a turn-based rougelike.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Augus posted:

What kinda weapons do you think we'll get? I could see Link's Magic Rod, Horse, and/or Great Fairy movesets making a return. I could also see him getting a boomerang variant too.
Zelda could get her Rapier moveset back as a variant but they might want to keep her as not being a direct fighter to stay true to her BOTW personality.
The champions all have their signature weapons, don't think we'll get any variants for them.
Impa might have her weapons from HW1 or maybe use an Eightfold Blade
Kohga would levitate and swing around a spiked ball
Robbie would ride Cherry into battle
Purrah will defeat enemies by taking photos of them. Don't ask, it just works.

In the trailer Link is clashing swords with someone who is using a thunderblade (it's not Thunderblight Ganon's sword, it's the type of thunderblade you can use in BOTW) so I guess there's gonna be a villain that uses that?

Urbosa is using a thunderblade so it could be that she and Link duel at some point just like Revali and Link did. That duel looks like it shows up earlier on the trailer too.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Heran Bago posted:

There is an option to disable the rhythm stuff and play it like a turn-based rougelike.

If it’s anything like Necrodancer that mode is still not a thing you can sleep walk through.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Coffee Jones posted:

If it’s anything like Necrodancer that mode is still not a thing you can sleep walk through.

It seems way more doable than anything I've heard about Necrodancer (not having played it). I've beat it a few times and as I commonly proclaim, I'm very bad at games.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Cadence of Hyrule is much easier than Necrodancer, and permadeath is optional.

Citation: I've beaten the Cadence of Hyrule main story and will never ever get past the second stage of Necrodancer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gadzuko posted:

Urbosa is using a thunderblade so it could be that she and Link duel at some point just like Revali and Link did. That duel looks like it shows up earlier on the trailer too.

That's Urbosa's scimitar that she's using in the gameplay, just with electricity surrounding it. The one Link is being attacked with has the bright green forked appearance of a Thunderblade or a Thunderspear

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Heran Bago posted:

Warriors games are the best hangover games. No real challenge up front or heavy strategy, just mash and sometimes press special for the pretty colors. Also makes them great drunk games.

I'm curious how the maps will be. In Warriors games you generally have big rooms connected by gates or corridors. Not as easy of an import and edit job as with models.

Oh is that available from the start, with all characters? You might have just bumped that game from "no way in hell can I ever play this" to "maybe I could actually play this?"

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm not looking to sleep walk through it. I've done roguelikes. That doesn't bother me. It's purely the rhythm aspect I can't do. Whatever part of your brain it is that lets you sense rhythm, mine just doesn't work.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gonna be interesting to see if/how they incorporate the recalled memories into the story

i.e. in botw Calamity Ganon appears as the gang is coming down Mount Lanayru, maybe that climb of Lanayru is in the new story

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Gonna be interesting to see if/how they incorporate the recalled memories into the story

i.e. in botw Calamity Ganon appears as the gang is coming down Mount Lanayru, maybe that climb of Lanayru is in the new story

I think there were already monsters at that point, it just built to a crescendo when he appeared. I would imagine we get a few stages before that event, probably one or two for each champion as they “learn what it takes” to be a champion. Then all hell breaks lose and they’re forced to go their separate ways as they look to get to their divine beasts. Also, don’t be surprised see Nintendo retcon the small stuff if it makes for a better narrative.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I think there were already monsters at that point, it just built to a crescendo when he appeared. I would imagine we get a few stages before that event, probably one or two for each champion as they “learn what it takes” to be a champion. Then all hell breaks lose and they’re forced to go their separate ways as they look to get to their divine beasts. Also, don’t be surprised see Nintendo retcon the small stuff if it makes for a better narrative.

Yeah, the one memory where Link has just slain a fuckload of monsters is before Ganon appears, so I think you're right - a bit of pretense to get familiar with the games, then Ganon appears maybe like halfway through the story or something and as you said you play the parts of the Champions getting to their beasts and Link and Zelda doing Link and Zelda stuff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also expect some stuff that will tie into BOTW2

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What would be amazing is if at the end of the game it time skips 100 years into BOTW’s timeline right before Link assaults Hyrule Castle and we get a Mosou take on that fight and the final beast form. Then they could add some further teaser cinematic that segues right into BOTW 2.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yo, what if the final story mission is the siege of Akkala Citadel, and you're stuck playing as some rando soldier delaying the inevitable because everyone else is already loving dead or in stasis.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1303431962967891968?s=20

:allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final battle is Link vs the infinite army of Guardians at Fort Hateno, and there's no win condition. You just keep going until you die.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Ah, the 'Halo: Reach' of LoZ.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i have pre-ordered breath of the wild 0

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i have pre-ordered breath of the wild 0

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I didn't play the first one - how similar are the combat mechanics in this going to be to BotW? Obviously the other gameplay elements like exploring and physics engine puzzles aren't going to be present, but the closer they make this feel like a combat expansion to the main game the more I'll be into it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I didn't play the first one - how similar are the combat mechanics in this going to be to BotW? Obviously the other gameplay elements like exploring and physics engine puzzles aren't going to be present, but the closer they make this feel like a combat expansion to the main game the more I'll be into it.

Go find a Let’s Play of Hyrule Warriors because they are extremely way different games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Basically it's constantly running around amongst hundreds or thousands of enemies while mashing buttons to do a handful of combos that wipe a bunch out at a time. Sometimes swapping between characters or doing individual boss battles. It can be fun but I wouldn't play it if I was specifically hankering for some Zelda gameplay.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

not even remotely similar

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing about musou that separates it from something like diablo is that you have a battlefield with allied and enemy bases and armies moving across the map. you have to manage the flow of battle and balance attacking enemy bases with defending allies. you spend a lot of time rushing from place to place to mop up enemies while fighting the clock

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they're beat-em-ups with thousands of goons to beat up

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trying to imagine what an Eventide Island mission would look like in this.

But the best would be if you can play as a full-fledged guardian and get to wipe out thousands of mooks with that death laser.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

time to main urbosa, hell yeah

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hyrule Warriors is an RTS but you're the only remotely competent unit on your own team, so while you're slaughtering cannon fodder by the thousands you have to make a detour to go save Darunia from some bokoblins, or defend a fort from some very ornery dinalfos. A lot of it is secretly priority management as you figure out which metaphorical fire has to be put out first. Unfortunately, the UI just spews alarms at you willy-nilly without any indication of what's crucial or not, and with only one alert popping at a time you sometimes don't know Impa's dying until its too late to reach her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Hyrule Warriors is an RTS but you're the only remotely competent unit on your own team, so while you're slaughtering cannon fodder by the thousands you have to make a detour to go save Darunia from some bokoblins, or defend a fort from some very ornery dinalfos. A lot of it is secretly priority management as you figure out which metaphorical fire has to be put out first. Unfortunately, the UI just spews alarms at you willy-nilly without any indication of what's crucial or not, and with only one alert popping at a time you sometimes don't know Impa's dying until its too late to reach her.

So basically an average day at the office, except killing badguys instead of sending emails

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

maybe now that voice acting is allowed they'll have the characters actually say their vital instructions and alerts instead of "Holy poo poo I'm literally dying get the gently caress over here Link" just popping up on a crowded screen and then vanishing before you get a good look at the message

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
What are the odds that we get a non-canon What If ending where the Champions manage to defeat Calamity Ganon the first time around?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

So basically an average day at the office, except killing badguys instead of sending emails

If there was a reason to purchase a controller with autofire I guess musou games are it.

Damnit I’m going to be salty about this for months.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Supersonic Shine posted:

What are the odds that we get a non-canon What If ending where the Champions manage to defeat Calamity Ganon the first time around?

Just shy of 90%, I’d say. Which will only make watching their inevitable canon deaths hurt more.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This will be the "Rogue One" of the Zelda franchise: you know how it ends but half the fun is seeing just how much of a gut punch it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Plateau pre-Calamity. Before the main entrance caves in, the Temple of Time complex, etc. At least I hope you get to see some pre-disaster areas outside of the main castle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh poo poo, the Champions piloted the Divine Beasts didn’t they? I hope we get some giant vehicle levels that would owwwnnnnn

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

YggiDee posted:

For the harder maps you're practically forced to attack specific locations in specific order while carefully watching the minimap for generals on the outs. You can basically trivialize the game with the co-op but then what is even the point.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

To have fun with your friends

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh poo poo, the Champions piloted the Divine Beasts didn’t they? I hope we get some giant vehicle levels that would owwwnnnnn

I thought they failed before that could happen which is part of why they lost in the first place?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh poo poo, cancel it and make me this game instead :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

I thought they failed before that could happen which is part of why they lost in the first place?

Ganon infected them with the Blights which killed the Champions when they tried to pilot them against Calamity Ganon when it revealed itself.

Before that they spent quite a bit of time learning to pilot and use them. Several of the memories revolve around Zelda helping them with learning to pilot and before the end they all appear to have mastered them

Since we're leaning more into exploring all the crazy monster armies that were around there's nothing that says they didn't pilot them against that.

Similarly, the Guardians were programed by Zelda/Purah/Robbie and actively patrolled the kingdom against monsters before Ganon corrupted them. It'll be cool to have them on your side before the inevitable betrayal

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 9, 2020