Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The enemy soldiers in a proper Warriors game serve the same function as coins in Mario: they're not a threat and barely even an obstacle, but picking them up is rewarding and the patterns they're placed in are important clues about where you should go next. In truth, they are light strategy games played using a light action interface. In a typical mission, you have to prioritize several urgent objectives based on how long it will take you to run there and how long it will take you to kill whoever's there that needs killin'. You can level up and unlock new toys in order to make it easier, and there are typically lots and lots of non-canon missions in addition to the main story scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I thought they failed before that could happen which is part of why they lost in the first place?

The new game's trailer shows Vah Rudania moving under its own power with blue lights, signaling that it hasn't been taken over by Ganon yet, so I suspect we'll be seeing some amount of the Champions piloting their machines

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

What are the odds that we get a non-canon What If ending where the Champions manage to defeat Calamity Ganon the first time around?
They'd be fools if the final story mission isn't Zelda with her new magic powers taking Link to the Shrine of Resurrection, and going to the castle to seal herself with Ganon. Followed by bonus missions where you get more Awakened Zelda content and stop the Blights before they take control of the Divine Beasts.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I never managed to find one memory in BotW. It's the one in the forest, and I honestly don't know where to look. Don't tell me exactly where it is, but could someone give me a broad hint to narrow things down? Is it related to a particular event? Alternately, what direction should I head from Hyrule castle? Or is the memory not as hidden as I think?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I hope Zelda's Sheikah Slate moveset includes the Camera rune in some way. :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I hope Zelda's Sheikah Slate moveset includes the Camera rune in some way. :allears:

i really need her to take a selfie over a stasis'd lynel

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

I never managed to find one memory in BotW. It's the one in the forest, and I honestly don't know where to look. Don't tell me exactly where it is, but could someone give me a broad hint to narrow things down? Is it related to a particular event? Alternately, what direction should I head from Hyrule castle? Or is the memory not as hidden as I think?

If it's the one I'm thinking of: look around the dense forests of Hyrule Field.
For a direct hint: check one of the dense forests in east Hyrule Field
Direct hint from Hyrule Castle: go southeast towards a dense forest near the river

Salastine fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 9, 2020

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I just beat zelda II for the first time by creating save states literally every five minutes. don't know how people beat this back in the NES days but respect to those gamer heroes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So how is this going to work, is this going to be an open world Musou? I mean... BOTW's Hyrule doesn't really fit into the closed off level-based design of Musou titles and it looks like it's all taking place in the same areas, so like... will we just have a giant map to run around? If they segment this poo poo out it's going to kill what made BOTW Hyrule so drat special.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Of course its going to be segmented like any other musou. I don't see why that would be an issue, it's not supposed to be the same kind of game as BOTW.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like Hyrule in general is open but there's a ton of iconic areas that have more limited geography in BotW.

Also they'll probably just do what they did in of Hyrule warriors and gently caress with the scale/layout to have remixed stages that evoke things like Kakariko village or the Lost Woods and aren't 1:1 copies of them

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Salastine posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of: look around the dense forests of Hyrule Field.
For a direct hint: check one of the dense forests in east Hyrule Field
Direct hint from Hyrule Castle: go southeast towards a dense forest near the river

Thanks, I'll check it out! I was just wandering around the big forests in other parts of the map.

As for level areas, I wonder if you could do anything interesting with those little islands with the rope bridges off the east coast. They're probably too small for a musou, but when I found them, I wanted to discover something interesting there. Maybe I just missed it, though.

I don't think segmenting areas will be a problem, though. If nothing else, they could just have invisible boundaries with someone saying "Link, get back to the battle!"

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out! I was just wandering around the big forests in other parts of the map.

As for level areas, I wonder if you could do anything interesting with those little islands with the rope bridges off the east coast. They're probably too small for a musou, but when I found them, I wanted to discover something interesting there. Maybe I just missed it, though.

I don't think segmenting areas will be a problem, though. If nothing else, they could just have invisible boundaries with someone saying "Link, get back to the battle!"

Are there white birch trees in the picture? If so, I seem to remember that being the last one I got, somewhere in Hyrule field around a lake?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

RickRogers posted:

Are there white birch trees in the picture? If so, I seem to remember that being the last one I got, somewhere in Hyrule field around a lake?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's definitely in a wooded area in Hyrule Field and more specifically by a river, SE-ish of Hyrule Castle. It's also tied with the 13th bonus recalled memory you get for unlocking the main twelve for my favorite memory.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

The last memory on the album?
Go to the stable east of the castle and talk to the guy with the paintbrush head. He gives rough directions.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm admittedly not knowledgeable about the Dynasty Warriors series in general, but wasn't the last mainline game open world? (And panned for it, but it's still a precedent)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLroXZ2bQToV0JXLnspEl125THcujMAYOl

If people are still confused about what this game is going to be, go watch some of that because I guarantee it’s going to be exactly the same with a BOTW coat of paint. I doubt we even get to pilot the Divine Beasts because how is that going to work in a Mouso game outside of a cutscene? I won’t dismiss some sort of open world poo poo but I seriously doubt it. This is not BOTW 2 or even BOTW 0. It will be segmented maps just like Hyrule Warriors 1 set in the BOTW universe. You’ll see things you recognize but your not going to be able to climb the twin peaks and paraglide down.

This is what a mission will look like:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cartoon Man posted:

I doubt we even get to pilot the Divine Beasts because how is that going to work in a Mouso game outside of a cutscene?
Someone clearly doesn't remember the entire game mode where you could play as the hulking Ganon who towered over the battlefield.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

Someone clearly doesn't remember the entire game mode where you could play as the hulking Ganon who towered over the battlefield.

That was big but still not the same scale of the Divine Beasts. But you’re right, they could still make it work, I’m just struggling to imagine it unless the Divine Beasts get shrunken down or something.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cartoon Man posted:

That was big but still not the same scale of the Divine Beasts. But you’re right, they could still make it work, I’m just struggling to imagine it unless the Divine Beasts get shrunken down or something.

There would have to be some funky scaling going on to avoid looking like you’re stepping on a bunch of ants the entire time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just change what you're fighting. If all you're facing as a divine beast is an army of Hinoxes and Guardians, it'd probably be not totally terrible.

Would be ridiculously over the top, but wouldn't look utterly silly.

Personally I think them have the interiors be their own maps where you have to actually fight to keep the thing going as invaders board it to try to take over it. Problem is that could get old fast after doing out once, and you've got 4 beasts.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Heran Bago posted:

The last memory on the album?
Go to the stable east of the castle and talk to the guy with the paintbrush head. He gives rough directions.

Assuming you've done what he asks when you first meet him (he doesn't start moving round the stables until you do that, IIRC).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s the ultra mega cheater map, you see where all the memories are.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i am betting they will put some new meta game layer on the musou action. they have a lot of experience with that now between the empires games and fire emblem and i think p5 scramble was like halfway an rpg or something i dunno it's not out yet. it will fundamentally still be a musou but i think they will put something on top of it to pretend it isnt as shallow as that

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

For all intents and purposes Persona 5 Scramble played almost exactly like Persona 5 but with real time action battles instead of turn based battles, and no social links/social stats. It's remarkable how much it felt like a Persona game in every other aspect. Having played it I'm really curious what they're going to do with Hyrule Warriors 2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I mean, Zelda isn't known for having nuanced combat. Other than sub items or your seasons breaking every 20 seconds (which would be holdouts in a Musou), there's not much more to them.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Clam Chowdown posted:

The best Zelda game behind BotW is Hyrule Warriors.

I'm very glad that somebody at Nintendo saw this post and promptly got to work combining the two for us. If this person is one of your uncles, let me know and I'll send you five bux.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Maybe the Divine Beasts will provide cover fire in the background while you’re doing missions?

Those Ganon missions in HW kinda sucked and you couldn’t spend rupees to level the character up so it was a pointless grind if you wanted to beat the harder ones.

Anyway, Breath of the Wild was mostly open world because the world had been destroyed in the conflict with Calamity Ganon so there wasn’t much left of it. It would make sense for there to be more structured levels in a game that takes place before/during the calamity.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't believe more people aren't pissed about the digital version having a ladle bonus for pre-order.

drat preorder souper weapons.

This joke stolen from a friend of mine.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
If there’s one thing I learned from the announcement (cool enough looking game) it’s that people enjoy the BotW story waaaaay more than I do.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

So It Goes posted:

If there’s one thing I learned from the announcement (cool enough looking game) it’s that people enjoy the BotW story waaaaay more than I do.

I just liked the “ancient poo poo was real bad but now the land is starting to heal” aspect of Hyrule and all the memories just enforced that. Not much going on in the present if you ignore that over there and don’t talk to strangers.

Very Miyazaki/Ghibli

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

So It Goes posted:

I'm absolutely getting this game mostly for the story, I think it'll be really cool to see BotW's recalled memories get fleshed out

I guess I could just skip the game and wait for all the cutscenes to be on YouTube, but where's the fun in that???

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Depending on how well HW:AoC does, we'll find out if anything BotW-related gives Nintendo license to print money. If even a side project makes bank, I wouldn't doubt that there will be even more spin-offs in the pipeline. That, or they'll consider some serious DLC for BotW2 (to milk it more but also to get the game out of the door without feature creep).

I never played HW but I'm seriously considering this new game, just for BotW story. Hopefully that tells them that people are clamoring for more.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I remember seeing ruins around Hyrule field and thinking "Wow, I wonder what grand structures used to be here before they were destroyed and nature reclaimed the area." Cool that this game confirms that the ruined pillars you see in BotW aren't part of some looming pillars or grand avenues, but they used to be 4 feet taller, surrounded by identical landscape, and had little flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2vy67YgYVA&t=218s
3:38 if it doesn't start there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Professor Wayne posted:

Cool that this game confirms that the ruined pillars you see in BotW aren't part of some looming pillars or grand avenues, but they used to be 4 feet taller, surrounded by identical landscape, and had little flags

:lmao: solid visual analysis. Good to confirm that Link exists in this game

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks all! I found that forest memory, as well as the final memory. I like the story in BotW a lot, but I hope that BotW2 gives us a happier journey. Let us start to rebuild what was destroyed, and let's start to make some happier memories!

I think the final thing I want to do is finish up Kass' side quests. Kass might be my favorite character in the game. (Accordion-bird for Age of Calamity!?) Anyway, I guess I have to find Kass in various locations before I can complete his shrines, right? I think I've found him in six places so far. Is there any reliable way of seeking him out?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm not normally interested in HW, and I'm not too invested in learning about the calamity, but I am interested that they're billing this as being something they're co-developing with Nintendo, so if there's an interesting spin on the HW gameplay that makes it a bit more interesting, I'm game. Personally I hope Nintendo's contribution was to add weapon durability.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Way to open a trailer by having to hear Impas' terrible voice acting once again.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

I like the story in BotW a lot, but I hope that BotW2 gives us a happier journey.

Hell no, go darker like they did with Twilight Princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

literally dark and brown so nothing looks good