Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

PerniciousKnid posted:

All characters are having sex any time they aren't on camera, that's why their uniform is pajamas.

Yeah. This is the primary function of the Holodeck, that Noir poo poo is after you're jaded as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

multijoe posted:

Watches A Matter of Perspective yesterday and really struggling to understand why they included the rape subplot considering it gets completely dropped and Troi confirmed the wife wasn't lying from her perspective. Just a completely inexplicable inclusion that paints Riker as an oblivious sex pest then drops the thread entirely

This is another one of those things that doesn't look great in 2020 but was fine at the time.

We know witness testimony is unreliable because memory doesn't record a verbatim record of events. A witness can absolutely believe they saw a thing when they did not.

That was essentially used by the writers to nerf Troi's powers so as to not have the story end in 5 seconds. Unfortunately, that little writing shortcut makes the character look a lot worse in 2020 after we see a pattern of gaslighting and denial of similar patterns of behavior in real life exposed.

You might say that how the episode is viewed is a matter of perspective.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah they never do clear Riker of wrongdoing, do they

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

This is another one of those things that doesn't look great in 2020 but was fine at the time.

We know witness testimony is unreliable because memory doesn't record a verbatim record of events. A witness can absolutely believe they saw a thing when they did not.

That was essentially used by the writers to nerf Troi's powers so as to not have the story end in 5 seconds. Unfortunately, that little writing shortcut makes the character look a lot worse in 2020 after we see a pattern of gaslighting and denial of similar patterns of behavior in real life exposed.

Even the obvious MeToo comparisons aside the difference in their accounts is so stark it's difficult to understand how they could have drawn their conclusisons from the same events, like in Riker's testimony the wife is practically throwing herself at Riker and starts undressing herself in front of him and in the wife's Riker literally pinned her against the wall trying to rape her - either the wife started stripping trying to seduce Riker or she didn't and she either begged Riker to leave her alone or she didn't, the plot seems like it's going to go somewhere with the unexplainable contradiction and then it just disappears unresolved with a complete unrelated ending.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

All characters are having sex any time they aren't on camera, that's why their uniform is pajamas.

I'm sure this in Gene's story bible

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Big Mean Jerk posted:

HD DS9 ain’t happening unless it’s a fan passion project, and even then it’s just a matter of how far they’ll get before CBS inevitably tries to shut them down.

There is this guy: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine
I wish someone would make an open-source AI upscaling thing, that Topaz software is $200 and then according to that person it takes hours and hours to run per episode. The results seem pretty decent but those HD captures posted by TrekCore are definitely much better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nullsmack posted:

There is this guy: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine
I wish someone would make an open-source AI upscaling thing, that Topaz software is $200 and then according to that person it takes hours and hours to run per episode. The results seem pretty decent but those HD captures posted by TrekCore are definitely much better.

With stuff like this I feel like you’re better off just completing the entire project in secret and only announcing it and doing interviews once it’s totally done and out in the world and impossible for CBS to completely erase from the Internet or sue you into oblivion to stop.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

With stuff like this I feel like you’re better off just completing the entire project in secret and only announcing it and doing interviews once it’s totally done and out in the world and impossible for CBS to completely erase from the Internet or sue you into oblivion to stop.

Maybe he wants to be sued so he doesn't have to finish.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm sure this in Gene's story bible

”So the uniforms are a single piece with a zipper down the front that extends to the taint, but has a second pull like a winter coat in case you only need to open the bottom"

"Oh, so they can pee without removing the whole thing?"

"Sure, that too. Also there is a second zipper in the back in case you want to give Nurse Chapel a hell of an infection.”

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

multijoe posted:

Nobody in TNG maybe (except Riker), the DS9 crew definitely hosed

Miles O'Brien/Keiko, and Alyssa Ogawa/i forget his name

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

On that note, I recently watched the TOS episode The Enemy Within. It's (in my opinion) a very good episode, but everything about the 'Evil Kirk tries to rape Janice Rand' subplot was really hard to watch. After nearly getting raped, Rand has to confront the man she thought just tried to rape her (which is in itself really bad) and makes all kinds of rationalizations: "I wouldn't have even brought it up" and "I don't want to get you in trouble". The worst moment of all, though, is Spock joking with Rand about finding the evil twin attractive at the end of the episode.

I'm not sure "It was 1966" totally explains that absolutely horrible writing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nullsmack posted:

Dude should start a go fund me "To build a rig to convert sd television to hd television and electric to power it" and get a new computer and leave that poo poo running 24/7 then give the hard drive to somebody to upload that poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

On that note, I recently watched the TOS episode The Enemy Within. It's (in my opinion) a very good episode, but everything about the 'Evil Kirk tries to rape Janice Rand' subplot was really hard to watch. After nearly getting raped, Rand has to confront the man she thought just tried to rape her (which is in itself really bad) and makes all kinds of rationalizations: "I wouldn't have even brought it up" and "I don't want to get you in trouble". The worst moment of all, though, is Spock joking with Rand about finding the evil twin attractive at the end of the episode.

Yeoman Rand is only in like 8 episodes and gets either raped or nearly raped in 1/4 of those

Both The Enemy Within and Charlie X are rough for her

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm pretty sure he's talking about it because he wants to show other people how to do it. Rather than as something he plans to put up on the Internet when he's done.

Edit: Regarding the DS9 HD up-conversion stuff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeoman Rand is only in like 8 episodes and gets either raped or nearly raped in 1/4 of those

Both The Enemy Within and Charlie X are rough for her

That's true. And even in other episodes, the captain struggling to keep it in his pants was a topic of conversation in Corbomite Maneuver and The Naked Time (albeit under the influence of the Psi 2000 virus). It sucks because Rand added a lot to the show besides being a pretty face.

To add insult to injury, I think I read that the actress, Grace Lee Whitney, left the show because someone raped or tried to rape her behind the scenes (she never identified who it was).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek does not have a good track record with women on the show not being horribly sexually harassed/assaulted.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Let me help you square that circle: 1966 sucked.

Just watched Booby Trap. Whoever picked that name should be fired into the sun. Kind of decent episode, and then Geordi kisses a hologram. You know, you really suck, Geordi. I can't believe the writers decided his Barclay impersonation was the plot deserving a follow-up episode.

Also can't help but lol at the idea that the computer can't calculate the best path out of the debris field because it doesn't want to stay alive badly enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

multijoe posted:

Even the obvious MeToo comparisons aside the difference in their accounts is so stark it's difficult to understand how they could have drawn their conclusisons from the same events, like in Riker's testimony the wife is practically throwing herself at Riker and starts undressing herself in front of him and in the wife's Riker literally pinned her against the wall trying to rape her - either the wife started stripping trying to seduce Riker or she didn't and she either begged Riker to leave her alone or she didn't, the plot seems like it's going to go somewhere with the unexplainable contradiction and then it just disappears unresolved with a complete unrelated ending.

It may not be that far off of real life.

quote:

In one study on the audience-tuning effect, participants watched a video of a bar fight. In the video, two intoxicated men get into a physical confrontation after one man has argued with his friend, and the other has seen his favourite football team lose a match. Afterwards, participants were asked to tell a stranger what they had seen.

The study’s participants were split into two groups. One group was told that the stranger disliked one of the two fighters in the video. The other group was told that the stranger liked this same fighter. Unsurprisingly, this extra information shaped how people described the video to the stranger. Participants gave more negative accounts of the behaviour of the fighter if they believed the stranger disliked him.

More importantly though, the way people told their story later affected the way they remembered the fighter’s behaviour. When participants later tried to remember the fight in a neutral, unbiased way, the two groups still gave somewhat differing accounts of what had happened, mirroring the attitude of their original audience. To an extent, these participants’ stories had become their memories.

She had just undergone a trauma and Riker is being accused of a capital crime. Both are going to retreat to their own corners. Yeah, it's a bit over the top, especially with how little time has passed. It's still not that far off from reality.

The dynamic itself is what makes it uncomfortable to watch today, especially when no one was talking about additional charges over her assault claims. Even when he's exonerated of murder, there should be a separate tribunal to investigate her behavior claims, but I guess we're supposed to take it as read that the evidence that Riker didn't murder her husband caused her to re-evaluate what she remembers (as lovely as that feels today.)

A more exaggerated but better done version of this type of story is "The X-Files" episode "Bad Blood." It's handled better because after we hear both versions of events from Mulder and Scully, we get to see what REALLY happened and it's straight down the middle. It's kinda funny because the "stakes" are the same (pun intended) since Mulder is being accused of killing a teenager because the thought he was a vampire (spoiler alert, he was).

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 9, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Let me help you square that circle: 1966 sucked.

Just watched Booby Trap. Whoever picked that name should be fired into the sun. Kind of decent episode, and then Geordi kisses a hologram. You know, you really suck, Geordi. I can't believe the writers decided his Barclay impersonation was the plot deserving a follow-up episode.

Also can't help but lol at the idea that the computer can't calculate the best path out of the debris field because it doesn't want to stay alive badly enough.

The booby trap is actually holo-Brahms.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which episode of Star Trek had the most utterances of the word "booby"?

If you answered Booby Trap, you are only half right. It's a tie between that and DS9's Empok Nor

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

bull3964 posted:

A more exaggerated but better done version of this type of story is "The X-Files" episode "Bad Blood." It's handled better because after we hear both versions of events from Mulder and Scully, we get to see what REALLY happened and it's straight down the middle. It's kinda funny because the "stakes" are the same (pun intended) since Mulder is being accused of killing a teenager because he thought he was a vampire (spoiler alert, he was).

This is such a great episode and has one of the best cold opens of the series.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 10, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The booby trap is actually holo-Brahms.

I know, I hate it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

She had just undergone a trauma and Riker is being accused of a capital crime. Both are going to retreat to their own corners. Yeah, it's a bit over the top, especially with how little time has passed. It's still not that far off from reality.

The dynamic itself is what makes it uncomfortable to watch today, especially when no one was talking about additional charges over her assault claims. Even when he's exonerated of murder, there should be a separate tribunal to investigate her behavior claims, but I guess we're supposed to take it as read that the evidence that Riker didn't murder her husband caused her to re-evaluate what she remembers (as lovely as that feels today.)

Honestly, I think it's hard to overstate how gross attitudes towards consent were until very recently. An 80s/90s audience would have been primed to accept the idea that Riker isn't really committing assault if he doesn't believe that he is. The idea that they're both telling the truth makes Riker look bad, but in a much different (and less serious) way than we'd interpret it now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Case in point, the moon bounce scene in "Revenge of the Nerds" where the hero rapes a woman and his "punishment" is that she's his girlfriend now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apparently A People's History of the United States was lost during the Eugenics Wars

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

thotsky posted:

Watching the TOS episode "The Changeling" where Spock describes the probe they encounter as having "weight: 500 kilograms, shape: roughly cylindrical, length: a fraction over 1 meter" and my girlfriend looks up from her cell phone long enough to quip "sounds like a star trek fan".

that's pretty good

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

just hit season 4 of my ds9 rewatch.

it's worfin' time

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brute Squad posted:

just hit season 4 of my ds9 rewatch.

it's worfin' time

BRB, got to make some t-shirts for a bunch of websites.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Abalone Malone posted:

that's pretty good

She was very pleased with herself, but I have caught her referring to abdominal pains as "experiencing bij" so it was definitely a self-own.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i forgot how tonally jarring it is to go from "The Way Of The Warrior" straight into "The Visitor". They're both great episodes, but just a bit of a disconnect.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It really is striking how without the combadge the DS9/Voyager jumpsuits just look like pajamas.
Star Trek uniforms need to bring back rank braids on the cuffs and maybe like a mission patch or something.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Humerus posted:

It really is striking how without the combadge the DS9/Voyager jumpsuits just look like pajamas.
Star Trek uniforms need to bring back rank braids on the cuffs and maybe like a mission patch or something.

I mean, Air Force flight suits are basically adult onesies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

V-Men posted:

I mean, Air Force flight suits are basically adult onesies.

That's because Air Force pilots are overgrown toddlers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My wife and I have finally decided to start DS9 (rewatch for me, all new for her). I'm excited even though it looks like garbage after HD TNG. But you get over it pretty quickly. It really is such a strong show right from the beginning, even though it has the usual early jitters.

I was not expecting "Babel" to feel so relevant to current events. Even without all the COVID comparisons it's definitely a less campy episode than I usually give it credit for. On paper it's a very cliché Trek plot, but they did everything they could to make it not feel that way.

Odo getting his "precinct" trashed by protesters in the previous episode was also uncomfortably relevant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A more exaggerated but better done version of this type of story is "The X-Files" episode "Bad Blood." It's handled better because after we hear both versions of events from Mulder and Scully, we get to see what REALLY happened and it's straight down the middle. It's kinda funny because the "stakes" are the same (pun intended) since Mulder is being accused of killing a teenager because the thought he was a vampire (spoiler alert, he was).

Thanks for posting this btw, I still think that side of the plot was vastly underserved, especially given its implications, but it's interesting to see what they seemed to have been going for at the very least

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

My wife and I have finally decided to start DS9 (rewatch for me, all new for her). I'm excited even though it looks like garbage after HD TNG. But you get over it pretty quickly. It really is such a strong show right from the beginning, even though it has the usual early jitters.

I was not expecting "Babel" to feel so relevant to current events. Even without all the COVID comparisons it's definitely a less campy episode than I usually give it credit for. On paper it's a very cliché Trek plot, but they did everything they could to make it not feel that way.

Odo getting his "precinct" trashed by protesters in the previous episode was also uncomfortably relevant.
Wait until you get to Past Tense

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FlamingLiberal posted:

at this point its just Tense

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I guess it's implied that her credibility as a witness is completely destroyed once the murder charge is proven to be false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still have my fingers crossed that by the time we get to that, things will be going slightly better :pray: