Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Uh oh. JorunnSC is spreading FUD. Monthly town calls (hosted by CR himself) are one of the many unfulfilled stretch goals. He's tagging RSI and DiscoHobo too? Bringing up Hollywood sandworms? What a snowflake karen.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

This is the game I've dreamed of my whole life too. I've put the kind of money I have put into this game into some other games, over the years, but goddamn - they feel like I got suckered into it, or that I was doing it for small bits of enjoyment like MTX, but Star Citizen? I feel like I'm PART of this.

THIS has purpose. This is a dream, and it must be realized.

quote:

No one is completely sure. But CIG know better than us, and Chris Roberts is subject to the limitations of the people he works with, brilliant as they may be.

I do know one thing: what you determine is "too long" is what is too long for you. Trying to impose it on CIG is inappropriate. Get upset all you want, but it had better not have any real effect or you've put yourself ahead of the game AND many people in the community.

The moment I feel CIG has gone too far, taken too long, I walk away. That's the correct path when I've had enough.

quote:

quote:

they've also lied plenty

Ah, no. You need to reassess what a lie is.

quote:

quote:

development still started in 2011

This means gently caress all stop saying it.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

peter gabriel posted:

I for one welcome our new chris 'yes let's bicker on a forum' roberts, I hope he goes all in on this new direction, I foresee only good outcomes

Chiz Roberbs’ transformation into Derek Smart is finally complete.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Uh oh. JorunnSC is spreading FUD. Monthly town calls (hosted by CR himself) are one of the many unfulfilled stretch goals. He's tagging RSI and DiscoHobo too? Bringing up Hollywood sandworms? What a snowflake karen.

Yeah, that’d be great. I remember that wonderful Town Hall in 2015 where Chris and Tony talked about their better-than-the-original Nemesis System. Love to hear how that’s coming along!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Chris Roberts reposting my personal dreams.txt was a cheapshot but I'll be having the last laugh :getin:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

quote:

A ballistic round passes through the ship's shield, which scrubs off some of its kinetic energy but not enough as the round's velocity was high as was its mass as it was an armor piercing round. It manages to penetrate the armor and strikes an internal component, say a power relay node (something else we are working on as part of the pipe system refactor). The power node takes damage giving it a chance to "misfire" while in use. A few minutes later the node does misfire, blowing its fuse and resulting in it catching fire. The crew of the ship doesn't realize a fire has broken out in one of the side corridors, as they are busily concentrating on fighting the ships attacking them. The fire starts to spread along flammable surfaces, and as the fire starts to engulf other components they also catch fire. The engineer on the bridge of the ship sees his console flash red giving him a warning that several components have failed and looking at his ships schematic he sees a fire has broken out below decks. The engineer decides to seal the bulkhead doors on the corridor to contain the fire but the doors have no power as the power node is out! He comms one of his crew mates to leave his turret and grab an extinguisher and put out the blaze which is slowly creeping towards the power plant room. Fire reaching a ship's power plant or it's ammo stores are two sure fire ways for your ship to go boom. With the physical damage system ships will no longer just explode when their hit points reach zero, they'll explode because something inside them went critical and exploded (due to damage or heat), which then damages everything else. Outside of that damage will affect the ability of the ship to function or it's structural integrity so they also could become a lifeless hulk as much as they could go up in a flash of light. When the crew member gets to the corridor where the fire has broken out is has already consumed a huge amount of oxygen in that "room" (the corridor) and has released noxious gasses, so the crew member can't breathe and quickly retreats to put on a fire resistant suit and helmet. The engineer in desperation manages to reroute power away from the destroyed node through a secondary node restoring power to enough of the bulkhead doors to allow him to contain the fire. Noticing that there is an external airlock in the sealed off area he opens the airlock, venting the oxygen in the sealed off corridors and rooms to the vacuum of space, depriving the fire of the ability to burn, putting most of it out. By this time the crew member is suitably dressed and can extinguish the fire that made it past the bulkhead door before it can grow again. The engineer then reseals the airlock and allows the life support system to replenish the air in the vented part of the ship. Once done the engineer opens up the bulkhead door allowing the crewmember in with a replacement fuse for the power node, restoring power to that section of the ship, then returns to his turret. It's been a close call but the ship is still alive and in the fight!

"derek smart was right... yiff!"
whaT!?

colonelwest posted:

So much faith is being restore over on Reddit from two rambling self-pitying forum posts from Chris, it’s really beautiful. The Citizen’s Defense Force is out in full force shouting down the naysayers, and even a few more CTO’s and PM’s are showing up to tell everyone why a project that is 5 years late, 5x over budget, and doesn’t even have any release criteria, is perfectly normal and good. 2027-2028 is being thrown around as a reasonable release date.

Star Citizen will never end.

Someday, I’ll be in a nursing home reading stories about how dying citizens are leaving their families destitute; because they made Cloud Imperium Games the sole beneficiary of their wills and life insurance policies.

:discourse:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sample_text posted:

So Warframe Empiryan turned out to be a pretty huge disappointment . However, even it, a bare-bones , "island of content" actually does have most of the things in Chris Roberts' written wavy hand bullshit.

They actually got one of the biggest promises of crobbler before SC, though - crewing someone else's ship is the fastest path to getting your own ship. They just failed to implement mopping mechanics.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really thought the cultist community was gaining momentum in rightfully questioning development recently. I am genuinely shocked at how easily they turned as soon as Chris pumps out an ultra defensive post providing absolutely nothing new and proclaiming loud and clear the game is early alpha with every intention to take as long as possible. Every response on spectrum to his post is just praise for his bravery and gratefulness for his lord and saviour for spending the time to communicate twice to some random forum thread. How can anyone read his latest post without thinking any release is years away.

We joke about it but it *is* a cult for some of them, there is nothing weird about getting their faith restored by the prophet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chris Roberts quote posted:

"This is the game I've dreamed of my whole life. Now I am in a position to realize it, I am not willing to compromise it's potential because it is taking longer than I originally envisioned."

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3368356

quote:

I think people do forget that great games take a long time to be created, it's only been 7 years people! But, innovation takes even longer.
Being also a programmer for a living, I do have a huge passion for everything SC has already accomplished, and am very excited for what's to come.
SC does things today that no other game in the industry does, released or still in development (as far as I know).

quote:

I think people generally forget what they signed up for when they start playing early access games. CIG have done some bad poo poo but I've never been under much doubt that this is very much Chris Robert's great experiment.

People always cite freelancer being finished by Microsoft because he went over budget and over time, but I would actually like to see what happens if you do give him all the time and money he needs. I don't particularly care how long it takes. It's a weird and wonderful experiment in game development, it certainly has it's pitfalls but they've already turned in unique results.

Edit: I want to make the distinction between what you signed up for and what CIG have said. I don't want to white knight for them, they've also lied plenty and what they started with is not what we have today -I'm ok with that however.

quote:

If I wanted a cookie cutter space game that takes a bunch of shortcuts, I'd play Call of Duty: Ghosts or Star Wars Battlefront 3 and be done with it. But all of these AAA games that keep hitting the market, while initially impressive, fall short..well short...on fidelity. You begin to notice things like: the gun you see in front of you not actually existing as a the same 3D object others see. The load screens. The skyboxes. The failure to create a real sense of being there (or as real as a 3D computer simulation can get). Sure Star Citizen has a long way to go...but what CIG has accomplished so far is outright phenomenal and ground breaking. And like anything new that is not already off the shelf, it takes time to research and develop. For that, I'm on board, whether this game ultimately succeeds or fails...because of the journey to get there on which no other publisher would dare to embark.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Mirificus posted:

SC does things today that no other game in the industry does

Not true.
There are many other games out there, loving up.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it’s really odd that he would suddenly show up replying to a random Spectrum thread, after all this time in hiding and months of boiling-over backer discontent. Just showing up in a single video for 30-60 minutes, while he waves his hands around as Lando asks him some softball questions, would have done so much to restore the faith.

He has to be heading for the exit, either voluntarily, or as the Agent’s rumors suggest, as the result of pressuring from the investors.

I've seen this behavior from disgraced executives before, right after the board decides they're out, but just before the official boot. A sudden flurry of activity and interest. Not sure if it's an ego defense, to remind everyone they're still there and "in charge," or if it's meant to show that they're involved in things right before they leave, so they'll have a paper trail showing that they were working up until the end. Maybe a bit of both.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mirificus posted:

Ah, no. You need to reassess what a lie is.

Store Citizer: You need to reassess what a lie is

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Has anyone said Chris Butthurts yet?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I've seen this behavior from disgraced executives before, right after the board decides they're out, but just before the official boot. A sudden flurry of activity and interest. Not sure if it's an ego defense, to remind everyone they're still there and "in charge," or if it's meant to show that they're involved in things right before they leave, so they'll have a paper trail showing that they were working up until the end. Maybe a bit of both.

and i've seen it towards the end of some failed kickstarter projects.
the inventor duking it out 1-2-1 with a backer on some forum, because he feels personally attacked etc.
going into personal fights instead of just delivering the goddam product.
really that often was just before the implosion of the whole thing.
but since this is the mighty morphin power citizen, it simply wont stop it will go on forever.

and we must follow it forever.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

so i gave this turd rocket a try during the free fly. i've followed this thread for some time, so here's a bulleted list of FUDster stuff from my first time with the game:
- Literally the first time I spawned and mashed enough buttons to get out of my wank pod, I fell through the floor and watched my body temperature go down as I fell through the sky and went splat.
- thanks to SA I know that elevators are the most important game system in SC. i was able to successfully navigate the elevator to and run to the tube
- a train showed up just as my train was leaving, jankily clipping through it fortunately the train i boarded carried me away through a rather long tunnel ride that i can only imagine is neat about 1 time.
- i called up some light fighter that undoubtedly punches above its weight and sheared something off trying to hover in the hangar bay. I sent many "o7 fellow citizens!!" messages and they told me the arcane button presses needed to open the hangar door.
- the server i was on had about 42 people on it, several of them bragging how much money they spent on the game. $2k here, $10k there, one guy claimed someone in his group dropped $20k and now they have unreleased jpegs to play with. IDK
- i was sorely disappointed by the lack of t-posed NPCs. i was promised t-posed NPCs.
- i flew to some space station and landed on a pad. i ran around looking for a bar and didn't find one, not did i find any t-posed NPCs. disappointed.
- i started to fly to some random planet (i dont know or care about any of the location names in this strange hangar simulator) to find a bar to drink with FELLOW CITIZENS :huh: but the destination was some 48,000,000km away and I got bored of waiting for quantum drive for 20 mintues.
- i suicided and woke up in the wank pod on the station I last visited and at that point was so bored that I uninstalled the game.

worth what i paid for it.

This is kind of the unspoken truth that a lot of people have come to see, and you could tell from somewhat early on once they actually started building stuff.

The game is boring. And there's no system or timer that will prevent that. It's pretty to look at exactly once. I'm sure the argument could be it's an MMO (it's not) and that things are supposed to be boring, but even in MMOs usually those first dozen or so levels are fun, and things only start to look a bit like a grind once you know what to expect.

All CR wants to worry about is argon levels leaking between rooms of your ship, but he can't for the life of him make a game that's fun to play. All these incoherent one-off systems with no real inter-connectivity isn't going to magic up a fun game. This is kind of his MO where he throws a bunch of stuff into a pot and stirs it and hopes a fun game somehow emerges dynamically.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

My sunken ship sense is tingling and I'm starting to doubt CR is writing these.

If not, gently caress hum for acting like he can be millions of dollars over budget and years late on a deliverable and act like he can call people out for expecting results they paid him money for.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

my dick ain't small, its pre-alpha

:discourse:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

So much faith is being restore over on Reddit from two rambling self-pitying forum posts from Chris, it’s really beautiful. The Citizen’s Defense Force is out in full force shouting down the naysayers, and even a few more CTO’s and PM’s are showing up to tell everyone why a project that is 5 years late, 5x over budget, and doesn’t even have any release criteria, is perfectly normal and good. 2027-2028 is being thrown around as a reasonable release date.

Star Citizen will never end.

Someday, I’ll be in a nursing home reading stories about how dying citizens are leaving their families destitute; because they made Cloud Imperium Games the sole beneficiary of their wills and life insurance policies.

If anything, it's a terrible sign for CIG, who I feel is still working towards making Star Citizen success be about the company instead of a single guy.

This just shows that no matter how many videos they make, the cult of personality is deeply tied to CR, and if he leaves SC won't be long behind him because they don't have anybody else who can fill the airwaves with lies people magically think it's the truth.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I for one welcome our new chris 'yes let's bicker on a forum' roberts, I hope he goes all in on this new direction, I foresee only good outcomes

:same:

If we can have a return to the drama of CR interacting with people from 3 years ago that'd be fun.

And today he's an entitled rich guy, who thinks he's better than the backers and his staff, despite running his crowdfunded project to literal failure.

Only great things can come from this mix. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Crobbles says it won't take 10 or 20 more years, but how the gently caress would he know? Isn't this the same guy who admitted that he's not the best at estimating his time, or other people's time?

Remember when he said 3.0 before the end of 2016, and not like on December 26 or anything; but comfortably before year's end? If he now says it won't take 10 or 20 years, that probably means it will take around 100 years.

Good post/user name combination.

He absolved himself of all responsibility to deliver on his dates, and said he was bad with estimation.

At that time they no doubt aimed for the "no way it will ever take things long to finish!" date of a 2020 release... and here we are in 2020 with no release in sight. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ScratchyImpishChick-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

It is that - but it’s also just conspicuously desparate, too, don’t you think?

Like — he’s been invisible and silent for months. Bankers get promised a big Squadron update that presumably he’d be a part of. Then it vanishes. Silence continues for months. And Chris breaks it to have a slap fight with some smack talking yahoo on spectrum? And he’s yet again offering the same empty defense he always resorts to — as if it becomes more credible in repetition as opposed to pathetic?

He’d have derived greater symbolic benefit from a video appearance. And it would hardly have required more effort from him. It would’ve projected more confidence and seemed more noteworthy. Yet he chose not to. Why? Why does he refuse to make a solo appearance these days when he did it weekly for years? I’m guessing he’s vain enough not to want to see it weaponized against him, as so much of his earlier stuff has been.

He’s saying something by avoiding the cameras these days, whether he intends to or not, and whether backers pick up on it or not. Hard not to wonder if that something is “Goodbye.”

To be on camera he has to be there. This person needs to be him.

To make a forum post somebody just has to log into his account. This person does not need to be him.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

All CR wants to worry about is argon levels leaking between rooms of your ship, but he can't for the life of him make a game that's fun to play. All these incoherent one-off systems with no real inter-connectivity isn't going to magic up a fun game. This is kind of his MO where he throws a bunch of stuff into a pot and stirs it and hopes a fun game somehow emerges dynamically.

As someone doing amateur multiplayer game dev for fun, I can definitely see how this can easily be the case. Sometimes I feel like the only differences between my half bakery of disconnected ideas and SC are jpegs and $300M.

At least my servers don't crash :colbert:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
BDSSE!

https://i.imgur.com/DYuPrl9.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

So, in that Spectrum thread, and since Crobblz is active in the forums now, did no one ask him to play his game again live on camera?

A huge missed opportunity.

A year or so ago I did my best to start a "rumor" that he was going to be playing his game for everybody at his CitCon event, in hopes people would expect him to do it and somehow that might force him to play his game.

Naturally it didn't work.

I wish he would play his game again but I fear we will never see that day ever again.

Kind of funny though, and amusing no backers demand him to do it, seeing as how he's making the game of his dreams. You'd sort of imagine he'd at least play it sometimes and there'd be stories about people having random in-game events with CR. But nope.

CR doesn't want to play Star Citizen almost as much as most people here don't want to play it. :shrug:

If you want to prove me wrong, go have him play his own game. This honestly shouldn't be one of these huge teeth pulling problems, but here we are.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

As someone doing amateur multiplayer game dev for fun, I can definitely see how this can easily be the case. Sometimes I feel like the only differences between my half bakery of disconnected ideas and SC are jpegs and $300M.

At least my servers don't crash :colbert:

It pretty much is. And that's fine because as an amateur and probably learning you're doing all kinds of tutorials and slowly building something bigger.

Day night system. Some kind of combat thing. Maybe inventory management. Maybe a weather system. Oh let's play with some cool shaders. Do something with movement modes.

All this stuff just kind of builds on itself, and it's cool. But there's nothing really fun about it. It's just stuff that works. You don't build a bunch of these systems and suddenly realize you made Super Mario 10 by accident and it appeared in your code. This is basically CIG.txt except "works" is a negotiable concept.

Hopefully somehow buying hot dogs for your hunger bar to go down and being able to equip a hundreds colors of a shirt will make the game fun. Maybe if they add in some more cool train rides it'll be fun. Those are cool to do.

Overall it's just a random dart board type of aimless meandering you expect from like one guy or a tiny team working on a "project" but not something from a multinational corporation with $300M and 500 employees.

They shouldn't be going to work and googling "CryEngine tutorial" and picking something that they haven't already done yet to add to their game. But that seems like exactly what's going on.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really thought the cultist community was gaining momentum in rightfully questioning development recently. I am genuinely shocked at how easily they turned as soon as Chris pumps out an ultra defensive post providing absolutely nothing new and proclaiming loud and clear the game is early alpha with every intention to take as long as possible. Every response on spectrum to his post is just praise for his bravery and gratefulness for his lord and saviour for spending the time to communicate twice to some random forum thread. How can anyone read his latest post without thinking any release is years away.

This has always been the CIG paradox.

If some other developers did this, the gaming community works destroy them.

Now on the larger communities behalf, the majority of the gaming community seems to quite believe the game is a joke and a fraud, so being hyper focused on backers is probably not realistic, vs the larger community that is not as vocal on their channels.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Would be funny if they keep doing these #dune things and WB starts to look into it and sees their sandworm being ripped off.

Probably not the best idea to not try to connect the guy stealing an ip with the guy who actually owns the ip. But what do I know. :cop:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

The uh FTL devs said they spend a lot of time on the "vent the cargo room full of baddies and put out the fires" scenario and when they finally got it to work it was not nearly as satisfying as they imagined. I think about that a lot whenever I see it come up with employees, backers, and at least once with Chris.

They're four or more years down a rabbithole that isn't even fun; jokes on them they've definitively proved (to everyone but the backers) that they can't get doors working half the time. Good loving luck with that "room system" argon mixer.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 13, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

The uh FTL devs said they spend a lot of time on the "vent the cargo room full of baddies and put out the fires" scenario and when they finally got it to work it was not nearly as satisfying as they imagined. I think about that a lot whenever I see it come up with employees, backers, and at least once with Chris.

They're four or more years down a rabbithole that isn't even fun; jokes on them they've definitively proved (to everyone but the backers) that they can't get doors working half the time. Good loving luck with that "room system" argon mixer.

It's just another manifestation of Chris's brain worms - he thinks he can manipulate the game to recreate a scene like he saw in a movie once, but in a multiplayer game. Absolutely stunning levels of stupidity. This fucker could have shoehorned his "idea" into a single-player game, but how do you steal hundreds of millions of dollars fraudulently if you're not making an MMO? If he'd have been able to figure that out this trash fire wouldn't still be burning.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
To get all that room system stuff to work in the first place is a pretty big task, to make it fun and not ripe for greifing is maybe an even bigger one. It's easy to talk about a dynamic situation like Chris Roberts dreamed up in his wall of text it's another to actually implement all the surrounding gameplay systems that would enable that to ever happen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

It's true, this has never been done before

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

I think people do forget that great games take a long time to be created, it's only been 7 years people! But, innovation takes even longer.
Being also a programmer for a living, I do have a huge passion for everything SC has already accomplished, and am very excited for what's to come.
SC does things today that no other game in the industry does, released or still in development (as far as I know).

quote:

If I wanted a cookie cutter space game that takes a bunch of shortcuts, I'd play Call of Duty: Ghosts or Star Wars Battlefront 3 and be done with it. But all of these AAA games that keep hitting the market, while initially impressive, fall short..well short...on fidelity. You begin to notice things like: the gun you see in front of you not actually existing as a the same 3D object others see. The load screens. The skyboxes. The failure to create a real sense of being there (or as real as a 3D computer simulation can get). Sure Star Citizen has a long way to go...but what CIG has accomplished so far is outright phenomenal and ground breaking. And like anything new that is not already off the shelf, it takes time to research and develop. For that, I'm on board, whether this game ultimately succeeds or fails...because of the journey to get there on which no other publisher would dare to embark.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The Titanic posted:

This is kind of the unspoken truth that a lot of people have come to see, and you could tell from somewhat early on once they actually started building stuff.

The game is boring. And there's no system or timer that will prevent that. It's pretty to look at exactly once. I'm sure the argument could be it's an MMO (it's not) and that things are supposed to be boring, but even in MMOs usually those first dozen or so levels are fun, and things only start to look a bit like a grind once you know what to expect.

At this point I think Chris an Co. are hoping to just keep adding random stuff in the hopes of stumbling onto "fun". I mean that does happen some times, the Sims pretty much happened on accident and spawned a major cash cow for EA, heck, it could be argued that Dwarf Fortress was a accident. But the chances of it happening are slim, and with SC's barely functional frankenengine, it's much closer to none.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 14, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Viscous Soda posted:

At this point I think Chris an Co. are hoping to just keep adding random stuff in the hopes of stumbling onto "fun". I mean that does happen some times, the Sims pretty much happened on accident and spawned a major cash cow for EA, heck, it could be argued that Dwarf Fortress was a accident. But the chances of it happening are slim, and with SC's barely functional frankenengine, it's much closer to none.

There's still hope for a three stooges rewrite of the product.

Pros:
Three people can probably play concurrently

You don't have to fix any of the horrible body horror glitch animations now you just assign a custom funny sound effect to each one

Someone tries to poke you in the eyes with their grabby hand but you put your own grabby hand vertically in front of your face and it blocks their assault.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I love how they continue to beat the drum of "this game does something no other game does!" when in fact there are games out there that do everything it does and they're actually released

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Viscous Soda posted:

At this point I think Chris an Co. are hoping to just keep adding random stuff in the hopes of stumbling onto "fun".

Orange Carlisle posted:

I love how they continue to beat the drum of "this game does something no other game does!" when in fact there are games out there that do everything it does and they're actually released

I would think they are trying to get a working version of Squadron 42 out, a minimal viable version of 'Chapter 1 Act 1 Scene 1 Intro Prologue part 1' to get out asap.
A really lovely CoD clone that will be claimed as AAAAA game of the decade. With its hour of game play, 3/4 uninterruptible cut scenes.
Just to keep the dream alive.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So how were Chris's Wing Commander games? I've never been into flight sim stuff but I have this vague memory of Mark Hamil talking about them on a talk show and bragging about working with a porn star.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Drop the deets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Lammasu posted:

So how were Chris's Wing Commander games? I've never been into flight sim stuff but I have this vague memory of Mark Hamil talking about them on a talk show and bragging about working with a porn star.

The first one was kind of cool, in a it-looked-good-before-3d-existed way. The cutscenes were nifty and if you paid for the voice expansion pack you got a bit more out of it. It's a lot less flight sim and a lot more shooty. The second game was regarded very well and pretty much upped the quality all around. Around this time X-Wing, and later TIE Fighter, came out and most people generally believe they're superior to the WC games.

The big one, and the end of the 2d era, was Privateer. This wasn't Chris' game and he's just listed as Executive Producer, but it's the one invoked whenever people talk about The Good Old Days. It was quite novel for its time because you could fly wherever and do whatever. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is basically Privateer but better and modern and without the WC license.

In WC3 Chris finally got to do movie filming with Hollywood actors. Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell... and yeah I think the weapons tech was a porn star. It wasn't great but hey FMV wasn't completely played out and it looked good at the time if you had a system that could run it. The cat alien costumes were hilarious. It was followed up with even more FMV in Wing Commander 4 with largely the same cast and infinitely more ham. Another game got made after that but no one played it.