Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Looking back, does the Remainers being right about the outcome of Brexit help them at all going forward in terms of British people listening to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No

https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1305798429176717317?s=19

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

Looking back, does the Remainers being right about the outcome of Brexit help them at all going forward in terms of British people listening to them?

Please do not troll us

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i say swears online posted:

the media has told me there are lots of knives in the UK, is that incorrect

they've still got a monarchy, it's clear they don't know how to use 'em

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Relevant Tangent posted:

90% of British political discourse is based on what people read on the front pages of the tabloids as they walk past the news stand. The only people who practice critical thinking skills (primarily <40s) vote in far fewer numbers than those who do not.

Anybody who voted for Brexit and still believes in it would never admit to the shambles the country is currently in. This 25-30% of the population make up ~60% of the voting electorate.

So no, being factually correct means bugger all when it comes to dealing with these fuckwits.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Blarghalt posted:

we must bring back the danelaw

the heptarchy rises again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did the UK ditch leaded gasoline before the US and if so what does that say about our analysis of converging political discourse

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Relevant Tangent posted:

looking back, does the liberal scolds being right about trmup help them at all going forward in terms of republicans voting for them?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

looking back, does the liberal scolds being right about trmup help them at all going forward in terms of republicans voting for them?

Well, we're certainly going to put that to the test in November. :v:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Leaded petrol wasn't banned in the UK until the year 2000 when the EU forced us to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Leaded petrol wasn't banned in the UK until the year 2000 when the EU forced us to.

hell yes this is the answer i was fishing for

this is something my brain-addled father used to make fun of mexico for in 1989 btw

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bitterandtwisted posted:

is bringing back leaded petrol a brexit goal?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tulip posted:

We must secure the existence of brexit people and a future for the braindamaged

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tulip posted:

bringing back the death penalty is so i wouldn't be surprised

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
There were definitely rural petrol stations still selling leaded petrol into the mid 2000s on the Isle of Wight, a great destination if you want to take a holiday in 1972

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, Biden is going to win, so tragically enough the answer appears to be yes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

I mean, Biden is going to win, so tragically enough the answer appears to be yes.

oh I don't know about that

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

after corbyn eating a historic amount of poo poo against a cartoon oval office i was envious that the US would soon get president bernie

then the first debate i bothered to watch him in i thought "uh oh"

so once burned twice shy, at least in 20 years when the next career politician is selected as leader of the left by happenstance and tries to run a fluffy democratic campaign in an oligarchy i'll know not to get my hopes up

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Relevant Tangent posted:

they've still got a monarchy, it's clear they don't know how to use 'em

We've killed more of our kings than most places

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

after corbyn eating a historic amount of poo poo against a cartoon oval office i was envious that the US would soon get president bernie

then the first debate i bothered to watch him in i thought "uh oh"

so once burned twice shy, at least in 20 years when the next career politician is selected as leader of the left by happenstance and tries to run a fluffy democratic campaign in an oligarchy i'll know not to get my hopes up

in 20 years society will have collapsed lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

in 20 years society will have collapsed lol

you optimist, boris johnsons grandkids will be doing the same hustle long after we're all dead

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

As an aside, that's one thing I never got about English history- how is it your lot killed the king and ushered in a Puritan military dictatorship, yet were able to neatly reset things afterwards unlike the French with their revolution?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Continuity RCP posted:

Replacing one monarch with another does not impress.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Maximo Roboto posted:

As an aside, that's one thing I never got about English history- how is it your lot killed the king and ushered in a Puritan military dictatorship, yet were able to neatly reset things afterwards unlike the French with their revolution?

The hereditary royal heir lived, was an adult, made political alliances with other exiles and foreign powers while exiled and Cromwell died before a new domestic political order or accepted succession was in place. Meanwhile French royalty pissed away all the goodwill the third estate had for them while they were alive and were then killed and I guess there was a much longer and more thorough series of purges and campaigns against French royalists so it was easier to keep moving onwards to the Directorate and Napoleon rather than ever look back.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Relevant Tangent posted:

Replacing one monarch with another does not impress.

It was a military dictatorship actually

and at least we held one of our heads of state accountable for the wars he started

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Brief interregnum between monarchs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I remember when I tried the"we've killed more kings than you" line with migf and he posted a picture of mlk in response, good times

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

a Commonwealth of England that lasted would be like proto-America except with an even busier flag

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

finally an explanation

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

British Leyland engines would just explode without it.

Moreso than usual I mean.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Continuity RCP posted:

I remember when I tried the"we've killed more kings than you" line with migf and he posted a picture of mlk in response, good times

jesus christ what a poster he was

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

We needed a terror and still do

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Dravs posted:

I don't remember where this Ed was when he was leader.

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1305552766019006469

:allears: I'm blown away. This owns.

I'd like to order an extra serving of chaos with Milliband please with Corbyn Communism for dessert. Milliband can put the bacon butties up his arse for all I care.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Maximo Roboto posted:

Cromwell basically ruled as a king and was a fantastically dreadful person.

When he died everyone basically just went

"Well, we have that a try. Let us never do it again."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Captain Splendid posted:

Cromwell basically ruled as a king and was a fantastically dreadful person.

When he died everyone basically just went

"Well, we have that a try. Let us never do it again."
The original Corbyn. Thankfully, the UK has put measures in place to prevent such a radical from ever coming to power again!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ed isn't being fed bullshit from Glasman and Blue Labour anymore which is why he's better now

He's ultimately a party man but one of the better ones

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you might roll your eyes at all this talk of executing royals but i take it very seriously since there's a surprising number of people who need re-education

https://twitter.com/semperadiuvans/status/1305983281826074624

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

you might roll your eyes at all this talk of executing royals but i take it very seriously since there's a surprising number of people who need re-education

https://twitter.com/semperadiuvans/status/1305983281826074624

if it’s obedience to Kings then where does the Queen fit in? Check...mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i was wading through the twitter hole that took me down last night and found some monarchist trad cath who thinks the us should return to uk rule but as a catholic theo-monarchy under the queen, but also that the church of england should have theocratic rule in england and supervision over the catholic church. his argument for this was that the united states was a fundamentally catholic nation.