Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

If it's just giving you grief you don't have to look at it, no use in making yourself miserable just for the sake of it.

My job is deeply involved with a lot of this stuff as is Lady VG's work. I come into contact with all this stuff everywhere. I wish I could isolate, isolate but it is not something that I can reliably do.

PAGE 79: If page were in an RPG, it would be a 'Nice! +10' level love potion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i'm sure this will look great in a few years time
A decade from now the entire Brexit project, from the vote to the negotiations and the fallout yet to come, is going to be entirely Labour's fault in the general public's opinion.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

VideoGames posted:

Well. I am not sure what to do. I am not sure what to say. I desperately want to travel to the 'laugh at everything because it is so awful' stage but I am stuck in the anger stage and it is all I can do not to find a way to tie a space ship to every tory mp and voter and send them hurtling like a mars rover into the sun. Good grief. Good lord. Good Gracious.

I have bad days where I just think gently caress everything, this country is a poo poo show, I thought if it got bad enough change would happen but it has been bad enough for years - but thats not that helpful to myself or those around me. As with everything, feeling if something is in stasis or won't change continues to make me feel worse, but it's when I get some agency or things start to move that I start thinking more hopefully and optimistic. All things considered it's not a great time to be left (or just care about other people) as there's just an avalanche of diarrhea and every week brings up more corruption and it becomes more obvious they aren't pretending to play the game any more.

But people have been in a worse position than this and fought for change, just as we can. It's important to feel the injustices, though not let that overwhelm I reckon. Something isn't sitting right with me - personally the idea that Corbyn could have won gave me hope, though now there's nobody like that I'm still searching for something to get behind. Just as with this, there appears no 'way out' yet, but things like Hillborough have shown these projects can take decades sometimes - important to keep going

Hope you're alright anyway, a walk always helps.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

Back when I used to take a lot of drugs I was into Terence McKenna and Alan Watts and all that, but after meeting like-minded people I realised what a bunch of hogwash it all was and seemed a slippery slope to letting magical thinking take over your life. Was one thing thinking about that sort of stuff, another to live your life by it.

Aww, I quite like Alan Watts. I do smoke a lot of weed these days though :ohdear:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

Aww, I quite like Alan Watts. I do smoke a lot of weed these days though :ohdear:
I think Alan Watts is very good and worth listening to, but IMO the problem with a lot of that type of stuff is the disconnect between the philosophical and the practical. It's easy to listen to something like "the meaning of life is in the journey, not the destination" and find something in it that resonates but translating that into actual, practical actions in the real world of jobs and shopping and children is always left as an exercise for the reader because that part is really difficult.

Personally that's why I find Stoic philosophy appealing because there is a lot of specific, practical advice, including an admonition that if you just talk loftily about Stoic principles without living them (like me lol) then you're not doing Stoicism.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 16, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

I like him too still, I just think there's a fine line to tread with those sorts of texts - definitely nourishing for a side of oneself, but shouldn't be all encompassing (same as anything else really). I was talking more about acid heads and people walking round with ketamine smudged on their faces talking about cosmic gnomes and believing it rather than using those sorts of drugs/literature/practices to see more deeper into oneself.

Not that there's any right or wrong way with all that, I've just known a few people who gave themselves cosmic brain worms with a steady diet of powders, esoteric podcasts and such, they've become less themselves and more a generic space hippy.

Watts is cool though. Keep smoking :2bong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1NZgE170w

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
https://twitter.com/HumanTimothy/status/1305854448649068545

I hate follow this guy because his takes on the rona are absolutely nuts and make me piss blood. I've been kind of enjoying the drama that's been surrounding him in the past few years as he was a vegan influencer for a while before going back to eating animal products because "his spine felt calcified" and he had a wet dream after eating salmon so thought it "balanced his hormones". The guy was a car crash to follow which was pretty entertaining but now people are actually applauding him for being brave and speaking truth to power about masks/corona/vaccines.

He is the absolute epitome of first world health maniacs who don't believe in science from white coats, think eating whole foods is the solution to cancer and positive vibes can keep away any sickness.

https://twitter.com/HumanTimothy/status/1286954016463888384

I actually cannot begin to describe how much I hate new age health quacks I worked in biomedical labs so always had a special hate pocket for them but now with the rona it's just intensifying. Just picturing how smug and intelligent they feel posting stuff that's so obviously wrong and they have no understanding of is just urgh.

I already regret posting it, I'm just mad at a stranger on the internet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VideoGames posted:

I desperately want to travel to the 'laugh at everything because it is so awful' stage but I am stuck in the anger stage and it is all I can do not to find a way to tie a space ship to every tory mp and voter and send them hurtling like a mars rover into the sun. Good grief. Good lord. Good Gracious.

In these trying times, I feel I should remind everyone that hurling the Tories out of the Solar system is more energy efficient than hurling them into the Sun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

I like him too still, I just think there's a fine line to tread with those sorts of texts - definitely nourishing for a side of oneself, but shouldn't be all encompassing (same as anything else really). I was talking more about acid heads and people walking round with ketamine smudged on their faces talking about cosmic gnomes and believing it rather than using those sorts of drugs/literature/practices to see more deeper into oneself.

Not that there's any right or wrong way with all that, I've just known a few people who gave themselves cosmic brain worms with a steady diet of powders, esoteric podcasts and such, they've become less themselves and more a generic space hippy.
See also the Tim Leary "if everyone did the psychedelic drugs then we'd all be at one" ignoring that set and setting means that quite a few people do the psychedelic drugs and discover "the spiritual oneness of the Aryan race" rather than anything non-poo poo.

Existence is complicated and all the one weird tricks are wrong.

thrashingteeth posted:

https://twitter.com/HumanTimothy/status/1286954016463888384

I actually cannot begin to describe how much I hate new age health quacks I worked in biomedical labs so always had a special hate pocket for them but now with the rona it's just intensifying. Just picturing how smug and intelligent they feel posting stuff that's so obviously wrong and they have no understanding of is just urgh.

Guavanaut posted:

it follows the exact patter of a revivalist preacher or a snake oil salesman
But yes, they're also poo poo.

Jedit posted:

In these trying times, I feel I should remind everyone that hurling the Tories out of the Solar system is more energy efficient than hurling them into the Sun.
As a matter of ethical responsibility, what if they land somewhere else? What if there's a planet where life genuinely is simple and everyone gets on, then the Tories land there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could launch them to one of the other celestial bodies in the solar system. Like saturn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

As a matter of ethical responsibility, what if they land somewhere else? What if there's a planet where life genuinely is simple and everyone gets on, then the Tories land there?

What's with the Liberal decorum poo poo? It's an even greater energy saving if you don't equip the vessel with food or life support systems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's a reasonable concern to worry about the possible effects of even one cell of michael gove making it to the surface of an alien world. I've seen The Thing.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Surprise T Rex posted:

... and yes the rich are in some sense "working together" and loving up the world, but it's not like "to control us maaaan".

Like it's all rich people giving jobs to their mates and being paid by industry to make laws to keep them in powerful positions, but they're not doing it because they're in an occultist 5G Skull & Bones goat-sacrificing cult, but just because they want more money for their dragon hoard they can use to buy champagne and children to have sex with.

the ruling class clearly does work in concert to maintain control of society, not "in some sense" but in direct and obvious ways. they have internicine fights and rival factions within that class but they all have a clear material stake in keeping hold of power. and of course they do it to control people lower than them, if they didn't do that they wouldn't be the ruling class. this is just a basic marxist assessment of capitalist society, it's not a conspiracy theory. maybe describing it as such is why we keep losing people to stuff like qanon.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Honestly I wish I could just go full space hippy - what's the harm (new age medical quackery notwithstanding)? - but I don't think I could fully embrace machine elves or the spirit of the mushroom or the ketamine angels or whatever even if I really wanted to. There's absolutely no reason to believe in any of it except that you experienced it personally and it meant something to you/it makes you happier, but if you really grok that, you can't then believe in something, like, ironically.

I still love all that poo poo though, and regularly trawl erowid for catdrugs space trips :2bong:

Edit discussion has moved on, this in response to TACD and justcola

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

ankh-morpork is based on all the big cities pratchett knew anything about, obviously mainly london but also venice, new york and if you say you see cairo then I suppose there might be some of that
That's the thing, you can't say it's just based on London when a poo poo ton of the Guards books are heavily influenced by NY, and the place is run a parody of the Medici (a joke it took me way, way too long to spot). I mean it's primarily structured around a broadly stereotyped Shakespearian London, but there's a lot of inspiration from Oxford in the Unseen U bits as well.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There is an assumption amongst many that wearing burqa is always oppressive. It isn't. Sometimes it is. Some women feel a lot happier wearing it because that is what they understand from their Islam, others more from the perspective that they don't get judged on their appearance, either because in some cases they are very pretty or sometimes because they have a physical deformity (as judged in the world).

[...]

What you really want to find out more about if you are seriously interested in delving deeper is the concept of Awra (or Awrah) - the 'intimate' parts of people and that, in some interpretations, includes the woman's voice.
The thing that's weird about a lot of these discussions is that whichever side someone takes, they usually kind of imply that the woman is robbed of agency anyway. Your average ukipper will default to this idea that a woman wearing any kind of islamic covering is either being physically forced to, or has been brainwashed into thinking it's something that they want to do. Even Zizek, although he is talking more about the broader sense that everyone is brainwashed by cultural norms.

The thing about Awrah is really interesting though, because a lot of the counter rhetoric against [is there a good term that includes burqa, niqab and hijab?] revolves around this idea that there's nothing really wrong with showing your face or body shape if you look at it objectively.

Which is a pretty mad stance to take from western cultures that have decided we absolutely cannot ever see female presenting nipples, and the resulting acts of violence against Free The Nipple protesters in the US by the police. There's nothing objectively wrong with nipples. But we are not an objective species, and western culture sexualises dem tittays in a way that means western women do want to cover up so as not to be sexualised.

I have heard that violence against FTN protesters in the UK has been less of a problem, both because public nudity is not technically illegal (as long as it's not for sexual purposes) just heavily stigmatised socially.

We have our own, weird codified version of Arwah, like I for example feel like I have to put a shirt on around the house when my sister-in-law comes home, because I feel embarrassed. Not because I'm out of shape, or deformed, it just feels invasive to have another person look at my chest. And then there are gammons walking round shirtless who could clearly do with covering themselves up, but I digress.

I don't know if that's the same thing, but it does strike me as odd that all these spods saying that women 'objectively' don't need to wear coverings would probably feel pretty weird if someone told them they should be ok to walk round town in a thong during summer for the same reason.

Please god don't let this lead to a summer of neckbeard edgelords strutting around in thongs and fedoras (fedorae?)

Taken from a Stephen Merchant bit, but the conservatives are the fat kid who steals your lunch money, and Labour are now the weedy kid who leans over his shoulder and goes "yeeeah!"

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Basically yes. They tend to think the group already has control of the world though.
Q starts with people realising that something is wrong with the world, and heading towards this conclusion, which isn't wrong. 1% of the population is in control. They have the resources, legal immunity in ways normal people do not, and the protection and allegiance of governments and industry. And you look at Epstein and little St James, and there are clearly some rich and powerful people who are raging pedos.

On the way to this conclusion however, is where Q steps in and diverts them down a side road with all the pizzagate, deep state, world government stuff. It takes the urge to fight the actual problem and directs it at paper tigers that conveniently funnel them into right wing insanity. Then you end up with people who could have directed that energy somewhere useful instead screaming about masks and soros and antifa.

OwlFancier posted:

You could launch them to one of the other celestial bodies in the solar system. Like saturn.
No further though, pretty sure you don't want a tory anywhere near uranus.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 16, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

What's with the Liberal decorum poo poo? It's an even greater energy saving if you don't equip the vessel with food or life support systems.
They'll eat each other to sustain themselves, leaving only the toriest Tory to land on the good planet. You can't risk it.

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's a reasonable concern to worry about the possible effects of even one cell of michael gove making it to the surface of an alien world. I've seen The Thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

This is why I always aim for the sun :getin:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I wish I could just go full space hippy - what's the harm (new age medical quackery notwithstanding)? - but I don't think I could fully embrace machine elves or the spirit of the mushroom or the ketamine angels or whatever even if I really wanted to. There's absolutely no reason to believe in any of it except that you experienced it personally and it meant something to you/it makes you happier, but if you really grok that, you can't then believe in something, like, ironically.

I still love all that poo poo though, and regularly trawl erowid for catdrugs space trips :2bong:

Edit discussion has moved on, this in response to TACD and justcola

I think when you first start taking them it can have a profound impact on you - for me my first acid trip was much better than years of therapy - but then following it through with too much projecting magical thinking onto drug experiences can make things a bit foggy. But then, every belief system is like that I guess, if its not malicious it shouldn't matter. Tripping during lockdown has been fun but I'm not going to start any mushroom death cults just yet.

Guavanaut posted:

They'll eat each other to sustain themselves, leaving only the toriest Tory to land on the good planet. You can't risk it.

Which is the most Tory alien? Ferengi? Vogons? Daleks?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

justcola posted:

I have bad days where I just think gently caress everything, this country is a poo poo show, I thought if it got bad enough change would happen but it has been bad enough for years - but thats not that helpful to myself or those around me. As with everything, feeling if something is in stasis or won't change continues to make me feel worse, but it's when I get some agency or things start to move that I start thinking more hopefully and optimistic. All things considered it's not a great time to be left (or just care about other people) as there's just an avalanche of diarrhea and every week brings up more corruption and it becomes more obvious they aren't pretending to play the game any more.

But people have been in a worse position than this and fought for change, just as we can. It's important to feel the injustices, though not let that overwhelm I reckon. Something isn't sitting right with me - personally the idea that Corbyn could have won gave me hope, though now there's nobody like that I'm still searching for something to get behind. Just as with this, there appears no 'way out' yet, but things like Hillborough have shown these projects can take decades sometimes - important to keep going

Hope you're alright anyway, a walk always helps.

By the way, thank you very much for this.
I just read a lovely story about a kid coming out and the dad being awesome about it that made me feel better. I think I just have these moments of futility and I need to channel thoughts into other things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The stuff that is in this article is dire

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1306142779509108736?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Which is the most Tory alien? Ferengi? Vogons? Daleks?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i appreciate this coming in the middle of a discussion about conspiracy theories

nothing to see here

same as "oops we destroyed all these black citizen's passports? guess we have to ethnically cleanse britain now, what a shame"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Communist Thoughts posted:

i appreciate this coming in the middle of a discussion about conspiracy theories

nothing to see here

same as "oops we destroyed all these black citizen's passports? guess we have to ethnically cleanse britain now, what a shame"

And when May lost the files on the Westminster paedophiles. Oopsy poopsy!

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

crispix posted:

i'm sure this will look great in a few years time

Why do you say that? Lots of bad poo poo about current Labour but sticking the Tories "do a deal like you said rather no deal" at the minute seems the best option?

But I am also not some sort of brain genius, so I may be missing something.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Communist Thoughts posted:

nothing to see here

"In his witness statement, he added: “The material that was deleted would have related to all Harley projects I had worked on during my time at the company including the Grenfell Tower refurbishment project.

“This would have included emails, documents, design drawings, calculations.

“This would mainly have been emails, as most of the working information was kept on the server.”

He added: “Most of the information on the laptop would probably have related to 10 Trinity Square as I spent a lot of time working from site where access to the server wasn’t as easy, so I would have kept offline files on the laptop for easy access.

“I doubt there would have been any files relating to Grenfell as these would have been on the server.”"

Whaat is this

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

If the files really *did* get deleted there needs to be an enquiry about how that was even possible.

If the files really *didn't* get deleted there needs to be an enquiry about how this is allowed to happen.

Of course neither of these things will happen as this country is literally run by criminals.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

bustin keaton posted:

Why do you say that? Lots of bad poo poo about current Labour but sticking the Tories "do a deal like you said rather no deal" at the minute seems the best option?

Labour are 20 points ahead what's the problem

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bustin keaton posted:

Starmer's "second ref and/or remain" policy was a huge chunk of why Labour lost the last GE, so it's a bit sickening to see him pivot to being the sensible leave party now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thrashingteeth posted:

Whaat is this
It sounds like he's being set up honestly. The company (i.e. the absolute monsters on the hook for grenfell) are trying to claim that he wiped his laptop and that's why the plans have disappeared.

Elsewhere in the article he points out that it's normally easy to just re download the emails from the server after a wipe. The company are claiming he asked for his emails to be deleted from the server. He claims he neither asked for that, nor did he have the authorisation to do so.

Neither of these viewpoints answers why the company does not have a copy of the plans or legal documentation for the building they manslaughtered over 70 people in.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Neither of these viewpoints answers why the company does not have a copy of the plans or legal documentation for the building they manslaughtered over 70 people in.

Surely there must be something massively incriminating in there if the company thinks "oh we're fundamentally incompetent and have no records" is a better alternative.

Or they think they can pin everything on this one guy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It sounds like he's being set up honestly. The company (i.e. the absolute monsters on the hook for grenfell) are trying to claim that he wiped his laptop and that's why the plans have disappeared.

Elsewhere in the article he points out that it's normally easy to just re download the emails from the server after a wipe. The company are claiming he asked for his emails to be deleted from the server. He claims he neither asked for that, nor did he have the authorisation to do so.

Yeah, wiping a laptop you used for work after leaving that company is not an abnormal thing to do.

Assuming your work emails while you were at that company may be kept on a central IMAP or Exchange server is also reasonable.

Sounds like the company removed some emails, isn't this the same company that removed all reference to Grenfell from their website at 5am on the day of the fire, and it was later found on archive.org, or was that one of the other ones?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lungboy posted:

hows that inquiry going?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does GDPR mean they have to be able to have those emails on file too?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Lungboy posted:

Is there a list of these sorts of incidents somewhere? I mean, it's enough of a pattern...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just got done watching a 1987 Channel 4 documentary called The People's Flag and I feel kinda down. Even the Labour party's prime ministers have been mostly poo poo. The best you can say for most of them is that they had a tough job to do. Ramsay Macdonald was a waste of space (but in a minority government), Clement Attlee is the best of the bunch (creating the NHS and the Welfare State is a huge deal), but the atrocities carried out under his watch in Malaya tarnish him a LOT, and Harold Wilson completely failed to make any kind of systemic change to improve people's lives.

There's also this recurring theme of a Labour PM being elected on the back of terrible relations between workers and capital, but then agreeing to make massive cuts to all help for workers because they're pursuing a loan from the US or the IMF.

It's kinda discouraging, it makes you feel like PM Starmer is just going to be another one in a very long line, should he be elected.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why Corbyn couldn't be allowed to be PM, he might not have been poo poo.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gort posted:

Just got done watching a 1987 Channel 4 documentary called The People's Flag and I feel kinda down. Even the Labour party's prime ministers have been mostly poo poo. The best you can say for most of them is that they had a tough job to do. Ramsay Macdonald was a waste of space (but in a minority government), Clement Attlee is the best of the bunch (creating the NHS and the Welfare State is a huge deal), but the atrocities carried out under his watch in Malaya tarnish him a LOT, and Harold Wilson completely failed to make any kind of systemic change to improve people's lives.

There's also this recurring theme of a Labour PM being elected on the back of terrible relations between workers and capital, but then agreeing to make massive cuts to all help for workers because they're pursuing a loan from the US or the IMF.

It's kinda discouraging, it makes you feel like PM Starmer is just going to be another one in a very long line, should he be elected.

The atrocities in Malaya have a direct bearing on the founding of the welfare state. We were flat broke and using the resources of our remaining colonies (like Malaya's rubber) to fund Attlee's spending

The RCG published a book (Labour: a party fit for imperialism) on the rather poor record of Labour governments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And we were flat broke because of two world wars, and while the second was a moral consideration it wouldn't have happened but for the first, and we only got involved in the first for bullshit imperial reasons.

Any Labour government that gets elected will be imperialist until the British state apparatus becomes anti-imperialist, which would involve facing up to the crimes of Empire (also scrapping the monarchy).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

J_RBG posted:

Is there a list of these sorts of incidents somewhere? I mean, it's enough of a pattern...

if you want to crack and ping have a look into the huge trenche of files that were deleted by the cops and home office during the rotherham cover up. that entire ring was never investigated properly at all, because of the influence the family running the network had with the police and in local politics.