Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

If I could live anywhere in Japan in the future I'd be happy if it was that area between Enoshima and southern Tokyo.

If you want to live around Japanese people who live/think like Americans you could do far worse than Kanagawa-ken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of Fujisawa, I really want to take a day to go out to Enoshima next time I go.

Also want to ride that train where they ran out of places to put tracks so they just had it run down a public road. I think that's in Enoshima?

That’s the ENODEN, runs between Enoshima and Kamakura.

There’s also the Shonan Monorail, which deals with the ‘no space for tracks’ issue in a different way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Also want to ride that train where they ran out of places to put tracks so they just had it run down a public road. I think that's in Enoshima?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6Gar97JPA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeeess, I want to ride ALL the gimmick railroads!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Martytoof posted:

Yeeess, I want to ride ALL the gimmick railroads!

I want to go to Chiba for a day next.

I was thrilled there was a monorail servicing Haneda, I even got the happy monorail Suica card.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There’s a couple places on that seaside Enoden route that are apparently famous from dramas and movies, too. Or at least as my wife points out every time we visit there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

this is just the whole dang green line in boston. color me unimpressed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s not strange at all to me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

There’s a couple places on that seaside Enoden route that are apparently famous from dramas and movies, too. Or at least as my wife points out every time we visit there.

the enoden is fun and i always enjoy taking it but i think the monorail from oofuna to enoshima is a bit underrated. enoshima in general is a place i really love, theres something a bit run down and gloomy about it, the island makes for a nice day trip and i particularly like the restaurants on the far side with the seaside balconies where you can have enoshimadon and beer and look at the sea

southern and western part of izu is best for if you just want a beach though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah we just went to Shirahama this past weekend, totally awesome. Driving there/back loving sucks though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

this is just the whole dang green line in boston. color me unimpressed.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that’s not strange at all to me.

I mean, Tokyo tower is just a newer CN Tower but it’s still fun to visit :3:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Martytoof posted:

I mean, Tokyo tower is just a newer CN Tower but it’s still fun to visit :3:

skytree you mean? tokyo tower is a newer and big eiffel tower

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

Yeah we just went to Shirahama this past weekend, totally awesome. Driving there/back loving sucks though.

i read somewhere that that part of japan is geologically different from the rest because it sits on a different tectonic plate (the phillippines one, mt fuji is the point where three plates push together), which might explain why the beaches are white instead of black like in enoshima, i'm not sure if that's true but the beaches sure are better down in izu

i usually take the odoriko line or just the regular train to shimoda and then a bus, takes a while but worth it

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

peanut posted:

[job spam]
Shikokuchuo BoE is immediately looking to hire two direct-hire ALTs. Evenings and weekends off; they will help you buy a car if you don’t have one. Contact: hiromi_i@city.shikokuchuo.ehime.jp

My friend has been looking for direct hire ALT positions so I showed this to him and he emailed her. Apparently it's a part-time job that pays hourly (barely minimum wage), is only for 3 months, and they want someone local to the area.

Good luck with that!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Hyogo prefecture BoE is looking for more ALTs to fill what JET can't. I'm not sure if they filled all the positions yet, but they were looking for people to start in mid october. PM me if you think your friend might be interested and i can give some more details. solid pay, 20 annual leave days

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

One meter taller than the Eiffel Tower.

Because.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah sorry, that's the one :)

I've never actually been up on Tokyo Tower. That was always my "next time" thing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Original_Z posted:

My friend has been looking for direct hire ALT positions so I showed this to him and he emailed her. Apparently it's a part-time job that pays hourly (barely minimum wage), is only for 3 months, and they want someone local to the area.

Good luck with that!

lmao are they still hoping for jets to arrive?
fwiw I live in the bigger better city next to Shikokuchuo.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't imagine there being a lot of (if any) JETs getting into the country in the first place right now.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Last I heard The government wasn't issuing new visas period, just renewals iirc, so if they're expecting JETs or ALTs to arrive then lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess me posting this here is kinda meta.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/2003540.html

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I guess me posting this here is kinda meta.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/2003540.html

Lol Japanese incels but also lol at that getting 200k likes

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
He's Belgian actually.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

sale on Banksy art posted:

He's Belgian actually.

lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

So some guy started talking to her and she said "I'm busy" and he said "oops my bad, have a good one"

I don't get it, is she mistaking someone just chatting with her as a nampa? I feel like I'm missing some nuance here or something

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

AHH F/UGH posted:

So some guy started talking to her and she said "I'm busy" and he said "oops my bad, have a good one"

I don't get it, is she mistaking someone just chatting with her as a nampa? I feel like I'm missing some nuance here or something

i imagine she was used to more insistent nampa
and our french romeo taking the hint and thanking her for her time was refreshing. the incels in that forum are reacting predictably.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm guessing they're saying something along the lines of "if he wasn't a handsome Frenchman/foreigner you wouldn't have had this reaction" and "it had nothing to do with him saying thanks for your time" etc etc

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm guessing they're saying something along the lines of "if he wasn't a handsome Frenchman/foreigner you wouldn't have had this reaction" and "it had nothing to do with him saying thanks for your time" etc etc

it's even more puerile. first replies i see are mocking imitations: "I'm awesome overseas is awesome JAPAN DIE" and "i get hit on by foreigners :wink:"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Okay be honest

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrYabatan/videos

Which one of you is this

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
No one here is making a living off their face.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

Okay be honest

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrYabatan/videos

Which one of you is this

We don’t talk about Yabatan here

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I don't think that guy is either, he needs at least like 10x his current number of followers.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've seen him on TV. So he's made at least 5,000 yen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking like tourists may not be welcome until April at the earliest? https://soranews24.com/2020/10/05/japan-to-reopen-to-international-tourists-with-new-entry-requirements/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Works for me. I have a ticket for May that I was ready to cancel but maybe now I'll wait to see how this plays out.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Does anyone know where to find the requirements for permanent residency for spouses of Japanese? My google fu is failing me.

My wife and I got moved to the states and got married in Feb. 2019 and we sent all the relevant documents and notifications to the Japanese government about getting married (marriage cert, family registry stuff, name change, etc). We have lived here ever since, without going back. I'm wondering what it will take to get the "no more trips to Shinagawa" permanent residency visa if we move back next year after being married for 2+ years. I previously lived in Tokyo for about 5 years as well before we were married.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You're gonna need to get a 3 year or longer spouse visa and then you will be eligible to apply after you've been married for 3 years.

Expect to get only 1 year on your initial spouse visa though. Renewing that visa in 2022 seems like it will line up well with your 3rd anniversary.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hmm, so 1-year renewal win 2022, then in 2023 I can get an unlimited term one? Or just 3 years at that point?

Also just to be clear, that's 3 years married and living anywhere? Even outside of the country?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah only time inside Japan counts, amigo. You will have to line up with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You can apply for PR once you've been married three years and are also holding a 3 year+ spouse visa. You can even apply on the day you get that 3 year visa if you've already passed your third anniversary.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 6, 2020