Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

twoday posted:

lmao, this website is hilarious

This one doesn’t even say TRUMPF and it’s still funny:

They're all great but I like "plastic weldin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

They're all great but I like "plastic weldin"

the whole thing makes me think it's a AI run ad campaign for Trumpf

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is pretty run of the mill for any German industrial supplier, all the .de top level executives are huffing from the same paper bag of "Industry 4.0" and designing their marketing websites to resemble buzzfeed.

The enabling ultimate precision shopping carts article is something special even by those standards though.

https://www.trumpf.com/en_US/produc...customer-story/

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

etalian posted:

Created Trumpo plate etchings and bury them in hopes that it will confuse future archaeologists.

why would they be confused to find an artifact with the name of one of the most famous people to ever live on it?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

or pictures, whatever

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I looked up trumpf and quantum computing and I tried to remember how quantum computers work (lol I don't know) and I had a dream vision of Trump describing how quantum computers work:

Trump posted:

y'see, there are these little tiny, so incredibly tiny, the smallest things ever, things called atoms. And a quantit computer uses the exact speed and position of atoms to ask questions and get answers, like instead of writing a program to figure things out, you ask the atom "hey, what's the answer here" and then the computer watches as the atoms form a wave. When that wave breaks, the atoms say "this is the answer." And asking questions of atoms is a lot easier than programming. Scientists right now are just trying to work out how to see atoms clearly, you can't use a microscope because atoms are too small, individual light waves just miss them. It's a great mystery.

e:

quote:

Lasers against lightning strikes: dream or reality?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

why would they be confused to find an artifact with the name of one of the most famous people to ever live on it?

Hopefully it at least would make them laugh like when medieval people drew flying penis monsters in the illustrated books.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I was always interested in woodblock printing but was inspired to start this year due partially to this thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1306119164373987329

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I have an odd fragment from Trumpus Maximus:

quote:

---if anything I up-played it [the coronavirus] not with the mouth, but in actual fact.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
some saint should pay for a leather-bound book to be sent to ashley feinberg or someone like that

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I went through some old posts in this thread for context and I saw this post about dream visions, which seems about the right style for a Twoday story.

twoday posted:

Dante also decided to write his masterpiece in the style of Dream Vision, which was an early medieval style of poetry that featured a protagonist going on tours of bizarre landscapes populated with demigods and monsters. A lot of them were written using a technique that involved a monk adopting a very unusual sleep schedule and lots of prayer, with the ultimate result that the writer would end up writing at night in a sort of half-conscious lucid-dreaming trance state.

I decided to keep it going with the Blake theme because it fits and I like it, in particular the doodle frames around the edges and the written script. 

The previous drawing I posted is one of three things I’ve drawn, that were more than doodle, in over a decade. Like I said previously, I drew it by hand. However, I did trace the main people outlines to get me started. 

Since that seemed to go pretty well and took me several hours, I figured for this one I’d spend like twice as much time drawing entirely freehand (because why not torture myself after a successful experiment by making it way harder, lol art). I actually didn’t think I’d like what I ended up with, but in the it came out better than expected. I guess maybe the moral of this story is to do things and you might be good at them. Anyway.

Take a look

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ho ly poo poo

thats loving amazing

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

DarkEuphoria posted:

I went through some old posts in this thread for context and I saw this post about dream visions, which seems about the right style for a Twoday story.

I decided to keep it going with the Blake theme because it fits and I like it, in particular the doodle frames around the edges and the written script. 

The previous drawing I posted is one of three things I’ve drawn, that were more than doodle, in over a decade. Like I said previously, I drew it by hand. However, I did trace the main people outlines to get me started. 

Since that seemed to go pretty well and took me several hours, I figured for this one I’d spend like twice as much time drawing entirely freehand (because why not torture myself after a successful experiment by making it way harder, lol art). I actually didn’t think I’d like what I ended up with, but in the it came out better than expected. I guess maybe the moral of this story is to do things and you might be good at them. Anyway.

Take a look

Oh my god

twoday
May 4, 2005

lol that's better than what I draw

twoday
May 4, 2005

Anyway I came here to post that I've acquired the first piece of equipment needed to bind the books:

A secondhand bottle of glue specialized for gold leaf gilding!

I'll try not to drink it all before starting on the books

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

chumbo

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

fitting that gold leaf glue would be manufactured by a guy named bourgeois

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

twoday posted:

Anyway I came here to post that I've acquired the first piece of equipment needed to bind the books:

Maybe drink a little glue, as a treat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So the spirit of Herman Cain, dead from Covid-19, is still encouraging people to not wear masks to halt the spread of Covid-19

which is a dick move

Though I suppose also like Cicero's ghost haunting dark age Rome, telling people typhoid isn't a big deal

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dustcat posted:

fitting that gold leaf glue would be manufactured by a guy named bourgeois

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
https://imgur.com/a/byCeg6a

2DCAT has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Sep 20, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

:yeshaha:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Speaking of 2D cats:

https://twitter.com/xuetingni/status/1307734429683548162?s=19

Click for full

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know what's sadder: that the news is so crazy that "heat rays" were sought to be used against peaceful protesters and the president confuses the Finns and Austrians with wood elves, or that same president can lie so **boringly** about up to 8 thugs taking a king air somewhere or something

I mean, say what you will about Ming the Merciless, he had panache

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I was not ready hahaha great

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

book of CSPAM thread: our shadow grows

twoday
May 4, 2005

woah

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Holy poo poo nswrs sound awesome

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Has this come up? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asemic_writing
It's the proper term for illegible madman writing apparently. Seemed extremely relevant to this thread.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

idgi

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
You know how rocket engines are sometimes described as barely controlled continuous explosions?

A NSWR (Nuclear Salt Water Reactor) is like that but instead of normal explosions its atomic explosions. In over simplified terms its basically a rocket engine where instead of fuel and oxidizer you shoot out a stream of sub critical dissolved uranium salts such that it goes critical immediately after leaving the engine. Giving you a nice continuous nuclear explosion to explore the solar system with. Note scientists arent sure if this would actually result in a usable engine.

Edit: unless you meant why post that in this thread, then I dont know either.

Communist Zombie has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wouldn't the force of that kind of thrust immediately destroy the craft and/or anyone inside.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Inspector Hound posted:

Wouldn't the force of that kind of thrust immediately destroy the craft and/or anyone inside.

an engineer familiar with newton's laws would probably be involved in the process of designing an actual craft around the engine

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Sailor chases the block that was tossed to sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MWlAFaeFE

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

twoday posted:

PLOMB

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

haha, 'chumbo'

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A jezebel article on people having TROMP re-election nightmares.

quote:

Whether there is a national trend in election-induced nightmares is unclear, but as November inches closer, it seems only natural that people are experiencing an uptick in anxiety. A few weeks into covid-19 lockdown, it seemed as though everyone was experiencing intense dreams. Not necessarily nightmares, but dreams laden with unease. This phenomenon was documented in several publications, from The Washington Post, to Yale Medicine, to the paranoia peddlers at WebMD.

The assessment from the experts came down to this: Vivid dreams and nightmares are common after a time of crisis, and they might simply act as a reflection of the anxiety that hounds us during our waking hours.

It also mentions a book that might be of interest:

quote:

In the 1930s, German writer Charlotte Beradt began collecting the dreams of people who, like her, were having strange dreams after Hitler’s rise to power. In 1966, she released The Third Reich of Dreams, a collection of 75 dreams from those living under Nazi rule which were, as Brandt put it, “dictated to them by dictatorship.” When the New Yorker revisited Beradt’s book in 2019, they noted that the Austrian-born psychologist Bruno Bettelheim wrote in the afterword that “the dreamer can recognize deep down, what the system is really like.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

2DCAT posted:

Sailor chases the block that was tossed to sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MWlAFaeFE

2D Cat: Working Hard, Thank you!