Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

freebooter posted:

I didn't say it wasn't from neglect. (Or that the higher rates of alcoholism, self-harm and adverse health conditions aren't a direct result of 200 years of oppression). There is a huge difference between neglect, and active murder covered up by an independent coroner.

Both of them are bad. One of them is what actually happened. Pretending that every death in custody is a straight-up murder is false, and pushing a false narrative is not helpful for a cause.

You really are the worst poster in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd like to know what would be helpful for the cause

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

I'd like to know what would be helpful for the cause

Having a grown up discussion about it, and meeting somewhere in the middle.

The cops want more deaths in custody, you want less deaths in custody, so let's settle on a smaller increase in deaths in custody and everyone can say they've had a win.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if we're not very precise with our language people will say that systemic racism including indigenous deaths in custody are a lie and a hoax and that blm is a marxist conspiracy

wait, Mark Latham got elected to the NSW parliament and gets to go on national television every morning and already says all of that stuff? oops

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
More *clap* white *clap* deaths *clap* in *clap* custody

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

freebootlicker

Not the first time this has been said.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

starkebn posted:

More *clap* white *clap* deaths *clap* in *clap* custody

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's a bit ironic but "This isn't helping your cause" is the least helpful response you can give when faced with someone venting in frustration and anger about institutionalised abuses of human rights and decencies, that are often covered up by the institutions to protect themselves and their mates from scrutiny and responsibility.

This is fair enough. Nobody needs to be doing anything "helpful" on a dumb comedy forum. I just get annoyed on principle when people react to actual, real issues with inane hyperbole like, say, implying that the Brisbane coroner is conspiring with police to cover up a deliberate murder.

Given that it's an institutional problem, what I mean by "unhelpful" is that it draws a false dichotomy by suggesting that all Aboriginal deaths in custody are the result of direct malice rather than indirect malice, callousness or carelessness because Aboriginal lives are viewed as less important (on the part of both police and a social system which in the first place makes them come into contact with the CJS far more often).

This is precisely what allows various officials to get away with mealy-mouthed talk about deaths of "natural causes." The failing being examined at the moment is that she wasn't checked on hourly - as though everything would have been fine if she were. It allows society to dodge the broader question of why she was in that cell in the first place, why she wasn't with family or friends when she had a health crisis. That's what people should focus on. It's enough of an outrage without speculating that police murdered her.

And yeah, yeah, I know, who cares because it was a throwaway line and this is a private forum nobody's actually reading anyway.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

What is that from?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

realbez posted:

What is that from?

Greens party parliamentary training :smug:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/simple-sabotage.html

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

HA I don't need some old counter-intel manual to tell me how to bureaucrat!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haha thanks

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
An indigenous man has had his license suspended after five police were found dead by the side of the road last September. This is the second time that the man's vehicle has been involved with the accidental deaths of multiple police officers. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims that both times he was listening to "gently caress The Police" on the radio to the point of distraction and didn't realise his car was swerving over multiple lanes of traffic to impact upon the deceased. The judge has suspended his license for two weeks and advised more caution in future.

Seems a bit far fetched when you flip it, hey

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

This is fair enough. Nobody needs to be doing anything "helpful" on a dumb comedy forum. I just get annoyed on principle when people react to actual, real issues with inane hyperbole like, say, implying that the Brisbane coroner is conspiring with police to cover up a deliberate murder.

Given that it's an institutional problem, what I mean by "unhelpful" is that it draws a false dichotomy by suggesting that all Aboriginal deaths in custody are the result of direct malice rather than indirect malice, callousness or carelessness because Aboriginal lives are viewed as less important (on the part of both police and a social system which in the first place makes them come into contact with the CJS far more often).

This is precisely what allows various officials to get away with mealy-mouthed talk about deaths of "natural causes." The failing being examined at the moment is that she wasn't checked on hourly - as though everything would have been fine if she were. It allows society to dodge the broader question of why she was in that cell in the first place, why she wasn't with family or friends when she had a health crisis. That's what people should focus on. It's enough of an outrage without speculating that police murdered her.

And yeah, yeah, I know, who cares because it was a throwaway line and this is a private forum nobody's actually reading anyway.

I understood what you intended and I agree with what you've said here. Turning everything into a throwaway most extreme case isn't useful, but I guess it's super fun to post mad hyperbole in a pocket of something awful.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tommunist posted:

Wheres tim smith

yelling at bats, man

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Zetsubou-san posted:

yelling at bats, man

Wish he'd yell at me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sulla Faex posted:

An indigenous man has had his license suspended after five police were found dead by the side of the road last September. This is the second time that the man's vehicle has been involved with the accidental deaths of multiple police officers. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims that both times he was listening to "gently caress The Police" on the radio to the point of distraction and didn't realise his car was swerving over multiple lanes of traffic to impact upon the deceased. The judge has suspended his license for two weeks and advised more caution in future.

I was enjoying this story why'd you have to go and ruin it by telling me its fake.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

Australian of the Year

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Australian of the Year

Grow up man

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

freebooter posted:

I didn't read the article (first mistake) and did read this thread (second mistake) so thanks for briefly covering some of the facts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scomo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

you're right

australian of the century

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

it sounds (and is) excessive until you remember that generally people dont choose to be born indigenous, whereas 100% of the time people choose to become cops. makes u think

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
JJR was a passenger in a car that crashed in November 2012 while it was being pursued in a high-speed chase by police in Stirling Street, Northam, Western Australia. That car was owned and being driven by his cousin, who did not have a driver’s licence. A pair of junior police officers were sent to search for the car following noise complaints from the public, and a pair of senior officers in an unmarked car joined the search because JJR’s cousin was flagged as having previously assaulted police. It was the unmarked car which conducted the pursuit, reaching speed in excess of 100km/h.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cops were asking for it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

I spray poo poo out of my rear end hole into the toilet and I dont clean it up

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

China forces 500,000 Tibetans into labour camps

Cool cool cool.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Surprised they didn't do it sooner seeing as their test-case with the Uighurs worked and resulted in zero actual international action.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The 'we should do nothing in exchange for China maybe possibly doing something like letting us watch their human rights abuses close up' is pretty good.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Surprised they didn't do it sooner seeing as their test-case with the Uighurs worked and resulted in zero actual international action.

Not true, we imported a lot of their slave made goods while playing tough about diplomacy.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/sep/23/coalition-to-announce-35bn-nbn-upgrade-to-roll-out-fibre-deeper-and-closer-to-homes

quote:

Australia’s national broadband network will roll out fibre “deeper and closer to homes and businesses” under a $3.5bn upgrade package to be announced on Wednesday.
The federal communications minister, Paul Fletcher, will use an address to the National Press Club to defend the Coalition’s approach of “committing to more fibre when it makes economic sense to do so”.

“The upgrade will reuse the new fibre built as part of the fibre-to-the-node rollout, and extend it further into the suburbs,” he will say, according to speech extracts.
“This plan is possible because NBN Co has now proved its business model and is generating substantial and growing cashflows – in turn allowing it to borrow in the private debt markets.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/foxtel-benefited-from-fast-tracked-federal-government-funds/12690954

quote:

After a Federal Government support package snubbed Foxtel and rewarded some of its rivals, Communications Department staff helped fast-track $17.5 million in taxpayer funds for the company, expediting normal Federal Cabinet processes for approval.
Hundreds of pages of documents from the offices of the Prime Minister, Communications Minister and Foxtel — including personal emails, letters and cabinet submissions obtained through the Freedom of Information (FOI) process — reveal the speed with which the broadcaster was awarded a $10 million extension to an existing $30 million contract.
Neither payment made to the company, which is majority owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation (65 per cent) and part-owned by Telstra (35 per cent), were ever put out to any form of competitive tender.
Even after the grant was rushed through Cabinet within weeks, a ministerial brief warned Communications Minister Paul Fletcher that Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany may not be satisfied.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Well, yeah, we don't want to sell Telstra a half finished product.

I guess that fabled wireless technology must be working out.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
What the fucj

https://twitter.com/AusRepublic/status/1308306815097036801

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

so we're a beer gut of a nation?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What benefits does "independence" bring us?

On the other hand, we'd have to put with endless TV specials every year with self congratulating celebs* recounting where they were when Australia vote England off the island.

* Like loving Steve Vizard.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

look it'd be a good gently caress you to the conservatives and people who want us to keep close relations or special trade zones with the UK.

other than that. idk. i guess we'd not be able to smash up the pool in the commonwealth games anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I still think the risk of Steve Vizard returning to TV is simply too great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The image implies that the uk is the child in this metaphor?