Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drone posted:

Those books are bad, and Culbreath/Marshak are extremely bad.

Culbreath and Marshak are fascinating because they were such big name fans and genuinely put a lot of time and effort into organizing their various projects - and yet, one gets the impression they didn't actually like Star Trek very much, and in their fanworks were trying desperately to force it into an Objectivist-sadomasochistic shape rather than anything that reflected the actual show itself.

I guess they were self-aware enough to realize nobody would be interested in the garbage they were writing if they tried setting it in an original setting that actually reflected their interests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Early Trek fandom is really interesting, yeah. And was driven overwhelmingly by female fans, which is something that people seem to conveniently forget a lot of the time.

If you really want a maximum dose of these two, read (please don't) The Price of the Phoenix.

tl;dr Kirk gets abducted by a 2.5 meter tall genius muscleman objectivist god-king who rules over his own planet straight out of Bioshock. Then Kirk learns to... adapt to his new, submissive role as the dude's (heavily implied) sex slave until Spock and the Romulan commander from The Enterprise Incident discover he's still alive and break him out.

Hard to believe that poo poo like this was actually officially licensed and published, but there you go.

Edit: here's a plot summary that I wrote for that blog project I stopped working on. Not gonna bother with spoilers.

quote:

So the Enterprise is visiting a planet in deep space, independent of any of the major interstellar powers of the 23rd century. The planet’s founder and ruler, an enigmatic giant of a man named Omne, has conceived of a world where anything goes: criminals, rogue scientists, political refugees, and mercenaries are all welcome on his world. Morality, at least as understood by the Federation, doesn’t exist on Omne’s world, and science is free to operate without the restricting chains of things like “ethics”. As a result, his world is highly technologically-advanced, and his laboratories produce technologies the likes of which are unseen even in the Federation (impenetrable planetary shields, transporters with a range exponentially higher than those used by Starfleet, medical technology decades ahead of anything in Dr. McCoy’s sickbay). For the modern reader, it’s basically Bioshock’s Rapture, and Omne is Andrew Ryan -- if Andrew Ryan were a titan of intellect, musculature, and masculinity. His world is, for lack of a better term, an objectivist’s view of paradise.

Anyway, Omne’s ultimate goal is to tear the Federation apart and create a new, implicitly objectivist, alliance. To this end, he seeks to blackmail Spock (and later, Kirk, along with the female Romulan Commander from the episode “The Enterprise Incident”) by holding over them the “price” that they would pay to see their beloved companions spared from harm.

Using his hyper-advanced research, Omne has created a device that is capable of replicating a person completely, soul and all, by taking advantage of a psychic outburst that occurs in all life at the point of death. He then forces Kirk to sacrifice his own life to save that of an innocent child, and uses this scenario to create a secret clone of Kirk.

To make a long story short, the novel rotates around Spock, Kirk’s clone, the real Kirk, and the aforementioned Romulan Commander; how they each interact with Omne, how they deal with him and his worldview, and how they ultimately escape eternal imprisonment at his whims. And goddamn is there a lot of faux philosophizing and almost Sorkinesque dialogue that makes this thing kind of a slog.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 25, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

There were massive issues too. Like, most of the really good stuff that they got for season one like the communicators or tricorder or the romulan bird of prey studio model or the hand phasers were done under the table by Wah Chang because his quality was better than others and much faster but he was too asian to get into the propmaker union.

Or like how the original plan was to have all of the screens on the TOS bridge above stations, these ones:

animated constantly with readouts and ship data, but rules required a projectionist for each one and that was far too expensive, despite that they could've run on a loop by themselves happily. Things just... weren't set up for this.

Combined with the fact they tried really hard to figure out how to make interactive touchscreens for the consoles it's intriguing to imagine what TOS could have looked like.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Combined with the fact they tried really hard to figure out how to make interactive touchscreens for the consoles it's intriguing to imagine what TOS could have looked like.

Presumably then it would have looked like TNG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It would've been just mindblowing in the 60s.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Oh God I'm so sorry.

I read through it and its sequel anthology and did little reviews of each story in each for a nerdy "read a poo poo ton of old Trek books" project that I've since kinda given up on.

Those books are bad, and Culbreath/Marshak are extremely bad.

I’m still on the first story. The setup is very interesting and feels pretty TNG to me and then it turns into slash fiction without the Spock/Kirk/OtherSpock three way loving. I’m gonna read more because I find Culbreath and Marshak fascinating

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Unmature posted:

I’m still on the first story. The setup is very interesting and feels pretty TNG to me and then it turns into slash fiction without the Spock/Kirk/OtherSpock three way loving. I’m gonna read more because I find Culbreath and Marshak fascinating

Let me know what you think of "The Face on the Barroom Floor" :v:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Aren't those the books that essentially contain the premise for Galaxy Quest, where the actors switch places with the characters?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember reading that book as a youth thinking they were scripts that hadn't been accepted (because introductions were too boring for me somehow despite reading dreck like this) and wondered how the gently caress the episodes we got ended up the way they did...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Aren't those the books that essentially contain the premise for Galaxy Quest, where the actors switch places with the characters?

One of the stories was that, yeah. It was a transporter accident of course.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I keep rewatching the DS9 pilot, Emissary. It's so good, it sets up everyone's characters and the whole plot. Picard trying to be cordial to a guy who absolutely loving hates him is great acting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I keep rewatching the DS9 pilot, Emissary. It's so good, it sets up everyone's characters and the whole plot. Picard trying to be cordial to a guy who absolutely loving hates him is great acting.

Yeah it is pretty impressive. It really does a good job setting the stage and laying the groundwork for the show to be different from TNG. They don't quite figure that out again until the end of the season. Some of the characters are still kind of off-putting, and some of the dialogue scenes with the Prophets meander around too long before really getting to the point. But it's definitely the best premiere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really wish they had had Picard show up on DS9 again

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

I kind of feel like modern interpretations of TOS look sort of lovely because while they no longer play the original look straight, they are trapped trying to "look like the sixties" while at the same time trying to look like other things that have become popular instead of thoughtfully extrapolating what technology would look like in the 23rd century in that environment

I'm probably not explaining myself very well here pardon me while I bash my interface made entirely of jube jubes

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Payndz posted:

That scene went on so long it almost reached "Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes" levels.

Then it kept going. So, uh, bang-on CG recreations of the Voyager sets, combined with Poser characters?

I'm going to guess all of the "sets" from this are just levels from the Star Trek Voyager Elite Force game

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah it is pretty impressive. It really does a good job setting the stage and laying the groundwork for the show to be different from TNG. They don't quite figure that out again until the end of the season. Some of the characters are still kind of off-putting, and some of the dialogue scenes with the Prophets meander around too long before really getting to the point. But it's definitely the best premiere.
Sisko and the Prophets is low-key the best time travel story in the franchise. When the Prophets meet Sisko in the pilot, it's clear that not only do they have no idea who he is, they have no idea how organic life works. Sisko impresses them enough that they make him their Emissary. Then in the season 7 premiere Image in the Sand, Sisko learns that the Prophets are responsible for his birth. Remember that the Prophets are non-linear beings. They were so impressed with Sisko they, 30 or so years in the past, ensured he was born, so they could meet him for the first time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

Sisko and the Prophets is low-key the best time travel story in the franchise. When the Prophets meet Sisko in the pilot, it's clear that not only do they have no idea who he is, they have no idea how organic life works. Sisko impresses them enough that they make him their Emissary. Then in the season 7 premiere Image in the Sand, Sisko learns that the Prophets are responsible for his birth. Remember that the Prophets are non-linear beings. They were so impressed with Sisko they, 30 or so years in the past, ensured he was born, so they could meet him for the first time.

He is going to have turned out to be exactly as we will recall to have planned him to been!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Thought you were confusing it with Red Shirts for a second.

Listened to Imzadi by Peter David on another long drive with my fiancee today. We learned that Riker took Troi's virginity, everyone on Betazed pretty much does everything naked, and if Picard tells Data to kill a member of the crew he'll probably do it. Pretty good book!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Unmature posted:

if Picard tells Data to kill a member of the crew he'll probably do it.

:ohdear: In any given circumstances, or does the situation have to meet certain parameters?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

:ohdear: In any given circumstances, or does the situation have to meet certain parameters?

He had very little information to go on, took the order, but kept loving it up and was confused so it was like his subconscious stopped him. Also it may have been future Date or possibly Lore from the present or the future. Again, some of the time travel was confusing.
Also again, I was driving so I might have missed some context.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Picard routinely has Data gank people who piss him off. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

Give me the abandoned Final Frontier animated series Enterprise-F, -G, or -H:

Ya'll motherfuckers want to talk about a Space VCR. THIS is a Space VCR.

Star Trek meets Caldari tech

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Unmature posted:

Why the gently caress is this book so expensive. Even on EBay its like 130 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC9XI46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_cYvBFbAX4FXAD

its about the objectively best Trek character?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
FYI Pluto TV has a 24 hour Star Trek channel as well as classic Doctor Who and MST3K. How have I never watched all of this before

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

The Trek Collective did a massive mindmap of all the then-published Trek books and how they fit into each other's storylines, but it's... like I said, very intimidating.

Does not include the James Blish books, rated 1

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My Trek confession: when I first got into filmmaking in middle school, I taught myself how to properly format a screenplay by writing a hypothetical pilot for a new Trek show. I think it’s buried in a box somewhere, but I remember it was about three separate ships and I wanted each episode to focus on a different one, and somehow the season would tie all their stories together.

I’m pretty sure it was uniformly awful and I 100% based one of the captains off of Vegeta.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

My Trek confession: when I first got into filmmaking in middle school, I taught myself how to properly format a screenplay by writing a hypothetical pilot for a new Trek show. I think it’s buried in a box somewhere, but I remember it was about three separate ships and I wanted each episode to focus on a different one, and somehow the season would tie all their stories together.

I’m pretty sure it was uniformly awful and I 100% based one of the captains off of Vegeta.

find it and :justpost: it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Captain! What do the sensors say about their distributor power?

IT'S OVER 9,000 GIGAWATTS!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
We’re watching Space Seed to prepare for WOK and after Kahn has his little meeting with Kirk and goes to take over the Enterprise the way he slaps the absolute poo poo out of that redshirt owns. He backhands the ensign so hard he does a backflip down the hallway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Personally I feel like it's pretty hosed-up for somebody you have a professional relationship with to go back in time, possess a woman, and gently caress your dad to make sure you exist. I wonder if it was even that necessary or if it was the result of them loving something up when misunderstanding linear time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

Send it to CBS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally I feel like it's pretty hosed-up for somebody you have a professional relationship with to go back in time, possess a woman, and gently caress your dad to make sure you exist. I wonder if it was even that necessary or if it was the result of them loving something up when misunderstanding linear time.

The prophets are more than pretty hosed up, they’re all the way hosed up, even more so than regular godlike energy beings. I feel that they could have leaned into this more, but even as is there’s something kind of Lovecraftian about them. They’re very alien aliens in a universe that rarely does that, they don’t really get any of the concepts that motivate humans (or Bajorans, Cardassians, etc) except at the moments those people shout those concepts in their faces.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
One of the real weaknesses of late DS9 was that the Prophets went from being mysterious and utterly alien to being bog-standard angels fighting fire demons, and just sort of treated them as de-facto good even though they never really demonstrated any real ethical behavior at any point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and they also dictate poo poo about the bajoran religion like picking their spacepope

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's hard to treat them as good when they basically posessed, raped, used the original Sarah Sisko as a baby incubator and dumped her and the show just glosses past what was done to that poor woman.

If they weren't going to address it the show really should've just said the prophet manifested into existence and then vanished afterwards rather than posessed a real person.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly they could've just gone an different way from that entirely, because it didn't really add much to the show and Sisko's character development in the previous seasons sure seemed to be leading another direction from abandoning his plane of existence.

It was neat to see Dukat reach his apotheosis as scum and Kai Wen finally self-destruct, but otherwise the prophet plotline is kinda just a loose thread that doesn't tie in with anything else happening that season, and Bajor itself is totally ignored.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Read the first 50 pages of this tonight and it is freakin delightful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_for_Just_the_Planet%3F

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly they could've just gone an different way from that entirely, because it didn't really add much to the show and Sisko's character development in the previous seasons sure seemed to be leading another direction from abandoning his plane of existence.

It would've been an aproproiate ending for them to ascend him to their plane of existence and he's like "nah"

"Wait what?"
"I have a wife! And baby! And things to take care of! I just started building a house! Look, maybe later."
"But it's enlightenment and godhood with us!"
"You're timeless, right, who cares? Put me back."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heh, random trivia of the day: The Hunt for Red October was filmed next door to TNG, and when they were striking the sets afterwards Okuda snuck in and stole a bunch of the wall panels from the submarine missile bay, and they became the walls of the Enterprise-D (and Voyager) Jeffries Tubes.

Okuda and Sternbach are worth checking up on facebook from time to time. Lots of neat things. And cute little anecdotes, like the other day Okuda went shopping for a new washing machine and got distracted by how the insides of it would look great as a sci-fi miniature prop, maybe some kind of containment chamber...

Here's a Klingon ship they built for Yesterday's Enterprise for the Klingon Battlecruisers. Kitbashed it together quickly, but the VFX department ended up thinking it wouldn't hold up in close detail shots so they used the Bird of Prey instead.

Pity they never used it for background shots in other stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 26, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Here's a Klingon ship they built for Yesterday's Enterprise for the Klingon Battlecruisers. Kitbashed it together quickly, but the VFX department ended up thinking it wouldn't hold up in close detail shots so they used the Bird of Prey instead.

Pity they never used it for background shots in other stuff.

They're probably thankful for that, considering how often they re-used that Bird of Prey footage in TNG and DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does Okuda cop to stealing the loving Overthruster from Buckaroo???