Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Azhais posted:

Ok Zoidberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Historians know this as the Schieffelin plan

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Anglerfish is a very boring fish imo (as food).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The ancient egyptians used obsidian blades to cut open bodies when preparing them for mummification, but it turns out they cut better than stainless steel bladed scalpels, and doctors are switching to using them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

The ancient egyptians used obsidian blades to cut open bodies when preparing them for mummification, but it turns out they cut better than stainless steel bladed scalpels, and doctors are switching to using them.

No they aren't because they dull real fast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Surgeons have been using obsidian in limited capacities for decades. But as the previous poster said steel scalpels are generally cheaper and good enough for the job that obsidian is unnecessary.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Obsidian scalpels have some very limited use by some surgeons for transplants. The volcanic glass makes finer cuts, which helps the old and new tissue meld quicker and with less scaring. Thats the idea anyway.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
They used to make "swords" with obsidian shards jammed between wooden slats, in South America. Not because that was actually better than a steel sword, it was not. You could still kill someone, unless they had a steel sword, probably.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Sep 27, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

doverhog posted:

They used to make "swords" with obsidian shards jammed between wooden slats, in South America. Not because that was actually better than a steel sword, it was not. You could still kill someone, unless they had a steel sword, probably.

From what I've heard they weren't as consistently reliable as a sword made of metal, but since obsidian is stupid sharp they could cut through anyone not wearing metal armor like a hot knife through butter if the wielder was any good at it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There was also the question of taxes.

I recall reading something (one of the What If? books about historical counter-factuals), and the writer made a compelling case that Rome was generally fine with cults and different religions, because basically whatever. The minute you stopped sending your coin to Rome, though? You had a problem.

(also sorry this was posted three days ago, forgive the necro for replying to it)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

From what I've heard they weren't as consistently reliable as a sword made of metal, but since obsidian is stupid sharp they could cut through anyone not wearing metal armor like a hot knife through butter if the wielder was any good at it

Certainly, but if you went against someone with a steel sword and armor, it would not work at all. Outside context problem.

It is interesting though that they apparently worked well enough to be used in actual warfare instead of just using spears, clubs, and axes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doverhog posted:

Certainly, but if you went against someone with a steel sword and armor, it would not work at all.

It works well for loving up horses though:

Bernal Díaz del Castillo posted:

Pedro de Morón was a very good horseman, and as he charged with three other horsemen into the ranks of the enemy the Indians seized hold of his lance and he was not able to drag it away, and others gave him cuts with their broadswords, and wounded him badly, and then they slashed at the mare, and cut her head off at the neck so that it hung by the skin, and she fell dead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

Certainly, but if you went against someone with a steel sword and armor, it would not work at all. Outside context problem.

It is interesting though that they apparently worked well enough to be used in actual warfare instead of just using spears, clubs, and axes.

I mean, that is how obsidian was used?

It was used in cheap spearheads and arrowheads and was used to turn clubs into macahuitl, which are even worse to be hit with.

And remember iron wasn't adopted because it was better than bronze, it was adopted because it was easier to work into useful poo poo. Obsidian worked fine until steel and the apocalypse happened simultaneously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fun part is that apparently when going for captives, they'd just take the obsidian blades out and use them as clubs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I stumbled across the story of Solomon Perel and it's both insane and heartbreaking. When Hitler invaded Poland he escaped to Soviet-occupied Poland, but when Hitler invaded that part he ended up in the captivity of the german army. He then lied about being german and it was accepted and the german army "adopted" him. Under the name of Josef Perjell he then became a translator for the german army. He was so well regarded that he was present during the interrogation of Stalin's son. One of the captains, von Münchow, was so impressed by "Perjell" that he offered to adopt him. Solomon thought that all in all this would be the safest option for him and he accepted the offer. "Perjell" was then sent to a hitler-jugend school in order to educate him to be a SS officer. A big part of the "education" was racial "science" and as you can imagine that hosed him up good and proper. Every day he had to learn about how jews were inferior while he was trying to hold on to his jewish identity. He became so indoctrinated that he actually began feeling pride for Germany and wrote poems about fallen soldiers. In 1944 he was asked to document that he really was Josef Perjell but of course that was impossible. Luckily the office that was asking was bombed by the allies and all of his papers burned up. He could finally stop being Josef Perjell in 1945 when american troops raided his camp.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Obsidian is great for lots of stuff like arrowheads, sure. I guess you could ask are they really swords. I was thinking about swords specifically, as I often do.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And remember iron wasn't adopted because it was better than bronze, it was adopted because it was easier to work into useful poo poo. Obsidian worked fine until steel and the apocalypse happened simultaneously.

Yeah, bronze is a good material for swords. Doesn't rust, bends instead of breaking and, can be sharpened by hammering the edge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Iron was mostly adopted because it was vastly easier to acquire, and thus was much cheaper, than bronze

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun part is that apparently when going for captives, they'd just take the obsidian blades out and use them as clubs.

Classic non-lethal gameplay

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

bony tony posted:

Classic non-lethal gameplay

I've always said that the Nazca lines could only have been created by a society that had unlocked fulton technology.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

(also sorry this was posted three days ago, forgive the necro for replying to it)

I will not

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Biplane posted:

Sighs and affixes obsidian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

I recall reading something (one of the What If? books about historical counter-factuals), and the writer made a compelling case that Rome was generally fine with cults and different religions, because basically whatever. The minute you stopped sending your coin to Rome, though? You had a problem.

This is more or less how it worked, even Jesus acknowledged it with 'Render unto Caesar' and all that, though in practice it got more complicated. Rome was explicitly a polytheistic, pluralistic society, and would openly adopt foreign gods it liked the look of, but expected people to pay homage to the imperial cult as well. (Especially since the deification of the Emperor was apparently a thing to keep the Egyptians happy) Monotheism was still a weird fringe thing, and apparently very difficult for them to get their head around, comparing it to atheism.

And in practice it gets even more complicated, since apparently they tended to officially assume other cultures' gods were literally just their own familiar ones under different names and guises. And the treatment of said gods is a lot more transactional and symbolic than we'd be used to, like the statue of Mars being literally chained up and held captive to represent having his power.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Surgeons have been using obsidian in limited capacities for decades. But as the previous poster said steel scalpels are generally cheaper and good enough for the job that obsidian is unnecessary.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Obsidian scalpels have some very limited use by some surgeons for transplants. The volcanic glass makes finer cuts, which helps the old and new tissue meld quicker and with less scaring. Thats the idea anyway.

IIRC they're also good for extremely delicate fiddly things like eye surgery where you want to use the smallest amount of pressure possible when cutting. I don't know why I find that spookier than the already very spooky concept of cutting eyes with steel, but I do; possibly the human sacrifice associations with obsidian knives.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
A reliable way to identify a poor opthomologist is if they frequently forget to remove the obsidian blades from their wooden clubs before surgery

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sulla Faex posted:

A reliable way to identify a poor opthomologist is if they frequently forget to remove the obsidian blades from their wooden clubs before surgery

I have some calls to make about Rand Paul.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And in practice it gets even more complicated, since apparently they tended to officially assume other cultures' gods were literally just their own familiar ones under different names and guises.

You can see this substitution in the names of tuesday-saturday in Greek and Germanic languages, and some of the days in Albanian.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And in practice it gets even more complicated, since apparently they tended to officially assume other cultures' gods were literally just their own familiar ones under different names and guises.

Basically everybody did that though. Especially with how the gods were literally natural forces; absolutely nobody believed that Ra rode the Sun Barge over Egypt, but if you hop a ship and sail to Rhodes he's replaced with Helios in the Sun Chariot somewhere partway across the Mediterranean.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is more or less how it worked, even Jesus acknowledged it with 'Render unto Caesar' and all that, though in practice it got more complicated. Rome was explicitly a polytheistic, pluralistic society, and would openly adopt foreign gods it liked the look of, but expected people to pay homage to the imperial cult as well. (Especially since the deification of the Emperor was apparently a thing to keep the Egyptians happy) Monotheism was still a weird fringe thing, and apparently very difficult for them to get their head around, comparing it to atheism.

And in practice it gets even more complicated, since apparently they tended to officially assume other cultures' gods were literally just their own familiar ones under different names and guises. And the treatment of said gods is a lot more transactional and symbolic than we'd be used to, like the statue of Mars being literally chained up and held captive to represent having his power.

It’s also not exactly true as some emperors thought moving towards other gods was an erosion of their culture.

Decius was basically make Rome great again type but died before his policies really did anything

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There was also a lot more gods than just the big shots in the pantheon. Basically every town had a god as did each specific neighborhood, and every household* and the fields and the roads etc. etc.

Romans couldn't get enough of gods.

They were god crazy.

Gagging for gods if you will.

*though that was more like ancestor worship since it was more of a family god than specifically bound to a particular building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Dear me, I think I am becoming a god.”

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

FreudianSlippers posted:

There was also a lot more gods than just the big shots in the pantheon. Basically every town had a god as did each specific neighborhood, and every household* and the fields and the roads etc. etc.

Romans couldn't get enough of gods.

They were god crazy.

Gagging for gods if you will.

*though that was more like ancestor worship since it was more of a family god than specifically bound to a particular building.

I've always wondered that what is the god of the most insignificant thing. Like is there a god of buttonholes or god of pocket lint?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

I've always wondered that what is the god of the most insignificant thing. Like is there a god of buttonholes or god of pocket lint?

Probably not in ancient Rome, on account of not having buttons or pockets.
:goonsay:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I figure the penis charms all over the empire would protect all different kinds of holes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

500excf type r posted:

I figure the penis charms all over the empire would protect all different kinds of holes

I may have some unsettling news for you vis-à-vis penises and buttonholes.

e: I just learned the ancient Greeks had no less than five different gods whose only purpose was to gently caress up your pottery.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Sep 29, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fish of hemp posted:

Well there was that one god who's whole thing was about unimportant information and is where the word Trivia comes from(if I remember correctly an episode of the TV show for Disney's Hercules featured him)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Well there was that one god who's whole thing was about unimportant information and is where the word Trivia comes from(if I remember correctly an episode of the TV show for Disney's Hercules featured him)

I think that one was the god of three-way intersections, hence the 'tri', weirdly enough.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Discworld novel series always make fun of this. It has a Goddess of Things That Get Stuck In Drawers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Platystemon posted:

“Dear me, I think I am becoming a god.”

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Discworld novel series always make fun of this. It has a Goddess of Things That Get Stuck In Drawers.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is the god of trash, Jani. He is still worshipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

doverhog posted:

There is the god of trash, Jani. He is still worshipped.

Finally. A god that represents me.

(Also, huh, that's where wow got that name from)