Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I have never played D&D but I think it's because everyone I know who does is the former player type and I would quite obviously be the latter and they just don't want to even try.

e: I'd be soooo good at it though, I do all the voices and am quite skilled at interpretive dance!

It really is a lot of fun if you have friends that can take a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Solice Kirsk posted:

It really is a lot of fun if you have friends that can take a joke.

There's a line somewhere between sometimes a joke and always a joke. I couldn't finish the second or.third quest line in Adventure Zone because it was all chaotic jokester all the time which just grated on me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yama hama it’s fright night!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Bad Wolf posted:

There are two types of D&D players, those who want to play Lord of The Rings, and those who want to play Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Much like gender, this is a false binary!!! My groups have done plenty of wacky hilarious bullshit and dramatically satisfying, serious story stuff successfully even within the same campaign, and it worked well (lotta credit to the DMs for that). A happy medium is possible with the right people if you talk about expectations and establish the tone early on!

CannonFodder posted:

There's a line somewhere between sometimes a joke and always a joke. I couldn't finish the second or.third quest line in Adventure Zone because it was all chaotic jokester all the time which just grated on me.
This is very funny to me because tons of people complain that they dropped off the show because it got too serious and less wacky-hijinks-all-the-time after the second arc.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stroop There It Is posted:

Much like gender, this is a false binary!!! My groups have done plenty of wacky hilarious bullshit and dramatically satisfying, serious story stuff successfully even within the same campaign, and it worked well (lotta credit to the DMs for that). A happy medium is possible with the right people if you talk about expectations and establish the tone early on!

I was about to post much the same. In previous conversations on the subject I've used the phrase "angsty-wacky scale," mostly because my group had a guy at each end. The wacky guy could do serious, and the angsty guy made a good straight man and gave some good setups for jokes. They buddy copped in a few campaigns.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BELL BIV DEVITO posted:

Why did i listen to that man that man was so bery werong in that he said about the crows shluld nt have swalloed them swallig thise crows was a big mistake ( i wdish i i hadnt done it i f i hadnt done it i wouldnot be afraid of trenchcoats filled with straw im so sorry im so sorry simsorry im so sorry im so sorry i im so sorry i feel your pain because its my ;pain too sorry brb gotta fly... fly aweay lol away from this pospi lf... popcisle hut... sorry thats me smilin im yellow and a small circle help im teapped iny our computer.......

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dareon posted:

I was about to post much the same. In previous conversations on the subject I've used the phrase "angsty-wacky scale," mostly because my group had a guy at each end. The wacky guy could do serious, and the angsty guy made a good straight man and gave some good setups for jokes. They buddy copped in a few campaigns.

You need wacky guy to stop angsty guy from turning the game into a wankfest, you need angsty guy to stop wacky guy from turning it into slapstick. They balance.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The Adventure Zone just didn't grab me, unfortunately. Also I know a very annoying Taco cosplayer who is way too much about it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

That is a top notch username.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wonder if they ever made it out of my computer

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also I know a very annoying Taco cosplayer who is way too much about it.

This blows my mind

They repeatedly cosplay a D&D podcast character and get too into it? That sounds like a prester jane story

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Snowy posted:

This blows my mind

They repeatedly cosplay a D&D podcast character and get too into it? That sounds like a prester jane story

I do not want to expose them with proof but, yes, they are a person who I was Livejournal friends with initially, so that should tell you all you need to know about both of us lol. They have largely moved on to a 24/7 Marvel cosplay lifestyle and also they are really invested in the idea of Luke Skywalker being gay.

(they are a nice person who deserves good things IMHO but if you are gonna dress up like Spiderman and then complain that everyone on the subway looked at you, you should maybe think stuff over)

e: Actually, IIRC they know the MacElroys as a result of the Taco cosplay so maybe they have a point!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's this about Prester Jane? All I know about her is that she was/is a C-SPAM regular.

I mean I don't want to gossip but [leaning forward with eager look in eyes] I want to gossip

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

a 24/7 Marvel cosplay lifestyle

It's rare to encounter a phrase that both describes a concept I have never before considered in any way, but also encapsulates it completely in so few words

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just like superhero movies themselves, I imagine people get sick of that person after seeing them a few times

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Phlegmish posted:

What's this about Prester Jane? All I know about her is that she was/is a C-SPAM regular.

I mean I don't want to gossip but [leaning forward with eager look in eyes] I want to gossip

She's insane and she knows it, which helps but doesn't make you sane. And had like a super hosed up childhood or something. I've only encountered her personally a couple times, but she kramered into this goodmined thread posting walls of text in which she toxxes to leave E/N for a year if the OP doesn't think she's completely right and he's like 'yes, do this' and its pretty funny. Also that thread is a hell of ride.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

a very unstable person who afaik now runs the sexpest furry offsite

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Some Goon posted:

She's insane and she knows it, which helps but doesn't make you sane. And had like a super hosed up childhood or something.
Uhhh, to expand on that, she has diagnosed schizophrenia and grew up in iirc a super fundamentalist environment (which as a trans person must have been especially rough on her).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
She used to make some pretty wild predictions too like 'Hurricane Harvey is going to kill everyone in Houston and make it uninhabitable'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is wishful thinking such a crime

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Prester Jane rose to prominence in D&D first by talking about her childhood growing up in a super-fundie nightmare and then by posting very long essays in D&D describing her thoughts on the increasingly polarized nature of US politics and making predictions about the the near-future. The most prominent of her ideas was what she called the Compaction Cycle, where right-wing groups would slowly become more and more radicalized as more mainstream members were forced out and the group compacted down to the most extreme. These analyses weren't earth-shattering (anyone who'd read the Free Republic thread over the years could tell you the same) but getting even fairly basic ideas into a clear thought-line can be useful. After Trump's election, Prester Jane's theories gained more prominence on D&D and she began to accrue a cult of personality. Her theories became increasingly off-the-wall but anyone who disagreed with her was accused of sexism and/or transphobia. Multiple times Jane claimed she was flouting away to some off-site or another but inevitably returned.

Its almost the exact same character arc as Koalas March, but without trying to become an admin as far as I know.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Its almost the exact same character arc as Koalas March, but without trying to become an admin as far as I know.

Less grifting/narcissism afaik tho.

Is it illegal to ask what the story is with the sexpest/furry offsite?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the difference is that koalas march is a grifter with sock puppets whereas prester jane is essentially correct about almost everything she opines upon and to my knowledge hasn’t stolen anything

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah all I know about her is that she had an interesting thread about authoritarianism that I read once

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

the difference is that koalas march is a grifter with sock puppets whereas prester jane is essentially correct about almost everything she opines upon and to my knowledge hasn’t stolen anything

Also, she drives some of the very worst posters on these forums absolutely mad, which is fun to see.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

She was mod challenged to not use the word "I" in her posts for a day and failed instantly, iirc

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Bloop posted:

When he turns back into banner, Hulk's penis is stored in the same place as Optimus Prime's trailer

Phy posted:

Occasionally there is an access rights error and Hulk winds up rockin a semi

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Some Goon posted:

She's insane and she knows it, which helps but doesn't make you sane. And had like a super hosed up childhood or something. I've only encountered her personally a couple times, but she kramered into this goodmined thread posting walls of text in which she toxxes to leave E/N for a year if the OP doesn't think she's completely right and he's like 'yes, do this' and its pretty funny. Also that thread is a hell of ride.

Oh man, there’s a post from GunChicka on the first page. That’s a blast from the past. They were some dude who used to post about being a woman in a wheelchair using stolen pics for internet cred. I can’t remember the exact specifics of them getting busted but I think someone just reverse imaged searched one of their photos.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh man, there’s a post from GunChicka on the first page. That’s a blast from the past. They were some dude who used to post about being a woman in a wheelchair using stolen pics for internet cred. I can’t remember the exact specifics of them getting busted but I think someone just reverse imaged searched one of their photos.

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sebmojo posted:

She was mod challenged to not use the word "I" in her posts for a day and failed instantly, iirc

Me am good poster. Me post politics. Oonga Boonga Boo bush bad president.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zore posted:

She used to make some pretty wild predictions too like 'Hurricane Harvey is going to kill everyone in Houston and make it uninhabitable'.

The more relevant detail is that as a result of being mentally unwell and for a time homeless, she has had dealings with unironic otherkin and other sorts of beyond the looking glass weirdness.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, someone searched the images and discovered the blog of the real girl and discovered major discrepancies between her life story and the poster. Not least the fact that she was German and not American.

To his credit, the poster did apologise and did seem to be feeling guilty for streaming her story.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Me am good poster. Me post politics. Oonga Boonga Boo bush bad president.

66% aint bad.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

that1otherguy posted:

Or feats that are extraordinary to the humble amongst us, whatever that may be, on an individual level.

I'm out of shape, depressed, and beyond lonely. It would probably be harder to fix the second two, so I'll fix the first, for no reason whatsoever but health and to pass the time.

ITT I will bench 300 and throw down with one hand, and then two. My abs will become ridiculous within the month. I am very good at this, though in the recent past have been lazy and weak.

I got my first wort on my foot like 7 months ago. About a month ago I made a doctor appointment for it. A little over a week ago I had it removed. It was gimping my ability to run for about a half year but I daresay I am almost all the way back, and will begin getting cardio.

I have not been lifting, but will start to do so. I work five hours a day mon-Friday and have all the time in the world.

The progress marker I will be using here is my abs. Yes, I will post facebook creep style ab shots at regular intervals.

The assholes that run this site set me back a bit and may have been the final straw in rekindling my latent sleeping pill dependence. Roughly 12 days ago my D had some dry skin(and still does) as did my face(that's better for the most part now), presumably due to lack of nutrition, sleep, exercise and sunshine. Fapping has left my D in an incredibly painful state that makes it impossible to sleep. 4 of the last 7 nights I have taken 400 mg Motrin and 100 mg trazedone to get to sleep, the latest due to this site.

[...]

Birb Katter posted:

How much sunshine does your penis need to remain healthy?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Tell me why all my A/T threads get gas-chambered

Tusk= posted:

I don't get it. First my thread asking how to use after shave and now my thread asking what online jobs there are. Tell me what i'm doing wrong please

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

apropos to nothing posted:

breaking into a cspam goons house and demanding they give me all of their money or else ill call the cops

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Tell me why all my A/T threads get gas-chambered
I deal with dudes like this on the regular. The underlying causes are sad af.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

A way more graphic spontaneous abortion