Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I honestly don't understand how you can look at this prop, that was put on the ballot BY THE BAIL INDUSTRY, and come to the conclusion that "yes, we need to restore cash bail and maybe in several years or also possibly never the legislature will come back and pass an even better bill." I seriously cannot comprehend the angle these orgs are approaching this from. Is the thought process that the legislature, after attempting to end cash bail and seeing their efforts completely stomped into dust, will come back bigger and braver to implement a better system? Why would they?

Why not gut the bail industry, and then continue to lobby the legislature for reform but with one less multi-billion dollar corporate juggernaut opposing you from the other side?

Edit: I can see something like "ok, bail is preserved by a narrow margin and the legislature decides to craft something that will get us, the important leftist orgs, on their side for the next fight" but it really feels like wishful thinking. Shooting this down now probably preserves cash bail for another 4-6 years, at least, and there's no guarantee that the political will for something better actually exists absent some big changes in the makeup of the Dem majorities.

Because groups that actually work in justice activism don't want to make things worse before they make things better. They think that cash bail, while awful, and literally a goal of their group to end, is not as bad as this, and at least offers some options. While Prop 25 locks in a new system that is likely to be even more oppressive.

I get that in the realm of message board discussion, "eh, it looks good from the description, lets give it a shot" works. Perhaps chat up someone from a justice advocacy group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
After talking with my parents and hearing how "they" are busing in violent antifa rioters to protests to kill hundreds of people (including children) and "take power", I'm glad I live in California where their votes don't count.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Glass of Milk posted:

After talking with my parents and hearing how "they" are busing in violent antifa rioters to protests to kill hundreds of people (including children) and "take power", I'm glad I live in California where their votes don't count.

I am honestly concerned that there's going to be a wave of violence from Trump supporters if he loses this election. I don't know if it's hyperbolic to worry about chuds coming into the cities to terrorize people eg. Portland.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The air quality is getting bad again in the bay area; I hope everybody got an air filter.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

adoration for none posted:

I am honestly concerned that there's going to be a wave of violence from Trump supporters if he loses this election. I don't know if it's hyperbolic to worry about chuds coming into the cities to terrorize people eg. Portland.
I live in chudsville right outside Sacramento. My suburban street has 3 confederate flags on it and too many trump signs to count. 2 miles away in an elderly suburb, people have been leaving aggressive anti-dem fliers on homes. One elderly couple had a swastika spray painted on their garage because they have a Biden yard sign.
I'm legit worried, and honestly thinking about taking my yard sign down.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

eSporks posted:

I live in chudsville right outside Sacramento. My suburban street has 3 confederate flags on it and too many trump signs to count. 2 miles away in an elderly suburb, people have been leaving aggressive anti-dem fliers on homes. One elderly couple had a swastika spray painted on their garage because they have a Biden yard sign.

Maybe there are self-defense organizations in your area like the SRA? I have heard that it may be good to stock up on supplies for a few days, or just leave the area for a bit. It's loving insane that people even have to think about this.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

eSporks posted:

I live in chudsville right outside Sacramento...
I'm going to hazard a guess even though sacramento is surrounded in various levels of chud in all directions: Orangevale, which off the chart in the chud to distance ratio.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

eSporks posted:

It’s even worse in the foothills, I see so many confederate, SoJ, and trump flags, usually all colocated naturally.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CopperHound posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess even though sacramento is surrounded in various levels of chud in all directions: Orangevale, which off the chart in the chud to distance ratio.
That's where I grew up. I'm now on the boarder of orangevale and Roseville.

I've got all kinds of stories about orangevale though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’m stocking up again a few days before the election such that we don’t need to leave the house other than work for a few weeks.

A silver lining of the pandemic means many schools are closed, but that makes grocery stores a logical place to go for targets.

I’m also exceedingly paranoid.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping the chuds get trigger happy on each other. I know a Fox News slave who drove by a bunch of chud militia menacing a BLM protest. She saw the armed goons and, recalling her Fox News programming about the armed goons terrorizing our city, asked if they were antifa.

Yes. Yes they are. Better run them out of town.

E: hm per this unsolicited text from a single mom rideshare driver she and other drivers want to remain independent 4 to 1 and support prop 22. Single mom, everyone, just trying to get by in this crazy workaday world

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 2, 2020

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

SuperKlaus posted:

E: hm per this unsolicited text from a single mom rideshare driver she and other drivers want to remain independent 4 to 1 and support prop 22. Single mom, everyone, just trying to get by in this crazy workaday world

In the future we'll all have the independent scheduling freedom to log in for app-based piecework textbanking for evil billionaires' ballot propositions.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So this is a confusing situation. Apparently Shahid Buttar was going around calling people today to address the accusations of sexual harassment and complaints from female staffers, and I got a call from him. I cut off my donations months ago when the allegations came out, and I asked him about them. He claimed that these allegations were a deception aimed to harm his campaign, and he asked me to look at an Intercept article going over the allegations:

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/25/shahid-buttar-dsa-san-francisco-allegations/

There was a woman, Elizabeth Croyden, who claimed Buttar had harassed her at a party, but the Intercept says that they can't corroborate this story and that actually, she herself may have done something similar to her roommate:

quote:

Yet Croydon’s claims have not been borne out. The Intercept was not able to corroborate Croydon’s allegations and has interviewed multiple sources who recounted having disturbing interactions with her that caused them to question her credibility. Buttar has denied the allegations from Croydon, who claimed that Buttar verbally harassed her about celibacy and pressed himself against her at a party. Croydon’s former roommate, however, Stacey Haines, told The Intercept that the accusation sounded remarkably familiar, as it was actually Haines who went through a period of celibacy and was mocked and harassed by Croydon for doing so. Croydon, Haines said, appeared to be taking behavior she herself had engaged in and imputing it to Buttar. (Croydon denied Haines’s account to The Intercept. “That’s not accurate,” Croydon said. “She can allege whatever she likes. Everyone has something to gain by taking potshots at me. I’ve put myself in a very vulnerable position, and I have nothing to gain by coming forward.”)

Buttar and other individuals in the article claim that the complaints come from disgruntled staff who didn't agree with his campaign strategy, and were also motivated by racism. On the other hand, the article also cites people that say Buttar was known for yelling at and berating his staff.

So... this is pretty fraught territory here. There is the question of why he's still trying to reach out a month to go before election. I think I'm going to continue not contributing to his campaign for now.

E: devil's advocate. If someone is a competent candidate that can get policy done that you want, does it matter if they're a douche? Especially if no one else steps up to the plate?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 2, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/09/30/newsom-to-sign-chokehold-ban-police-shooting-oversight-bill-1319013

This seems good.

quote:

Newsom signed another measure authored by McCarty, CA AB 1185 (19R), that will give county officials more oversight of sheriff’s departments and grant them more authority to collect records from a department in the course of an investigation. The bill specifically authorizes a county to establish a sheriff oversight board and an office of the inspector general that can issue subpoenas.
Tying oversight to county officials ain't perfect, but its better than the AG.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

E: devil's advocate.

Lol it's 2020 I think the devil is doing just fine without your advocacy!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

E: devil's advocate. If someone is a competent candidate that can get policy done that you want, does it matter if they're a douche? Especially if no one else steps up to the plate?
Pelosi is personally responsible for the deaths of millions around the globe, but the opposition was mean to a former employee that tried to engineer a sex panic in retaliation.

It’s a tough call.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

eSporks posted:

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/09/30/newsom-to-sign-chokehold-ban-police-shooting-oversight-bill-1319013

This seems good.

There is a backstory to that one; McCarty and the Sacramento county sheriff have been in a pissing match for a while.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LBJ was a bully but we got social security. Jobs was a complete dickhole and revolutionized home computing while yelling at engineers to cut 2 seconds off of the boot time.

But ideally, no, I'd prefer the politician to be a dick to the opposition, not the intern grabbing coffee and cronuts for everyone.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

eSporks posted:

This seems good.

We have problems with county elected law enforcement, and need independent oversight.

We don't feel like doing that but have you considered more county elected law enforcement instead?

We'd also like it if police would get prosecuted if they murder people.

Well this theoretical oversight board can recommend prosecution or even firing them.

To who?

The department they're investigating who's internal affairs guys and prosecutors who would be responsible for any action who would've already cleared the officer in question of all wrongdoing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FilthyImp posted:

LBJ was a bully but we got social security. Jobs was a complete dickhole and revolutionized home computing while yelling at engineers to cut 2 seconds off of the boot time.

But ideally, no, I'd prefer the politician to be a dick to the opposition, not the intern grabbing coffee and cronuts for everyone.

LBJ didn't pass social security(you're off by decades) and Jobs didn't do poo poo to revolutionize home computing that's Xerox PARC.

Great Man hagiographies are stupid.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Pelosi is personally responsible for the deaths of millions around the globe, but the opposition was mean to a former employee that tried to engineer a sex panic in retaliation.

It’s a tough call.

100's of millions dead due to Pelosi's invention, dynamite.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The air quality is getting bad again in the bay area; I hope everybody got an air filter.

i got one and it got lost/stolen while being shipped

would have had it for this round of smoke otherwise :sad:

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

gently caress SNEEP posted:

100's of millions dead due to Pelosi's invention, dynamite.
That’s giving her too much credit, she just works for those people.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Maybe there are self-defense organizations in your area like the SRA? I have heard that it may be good to stock up on supplies for a few days, or just leave the area for a bit. It's loving insane that people even have to think about this.
Just going to point out that the Huey P Newton Gun Club thread exists in C-SPAM, of which many are SRA members. A local bay area goon recently was offering to take people to the gun range for firearm familiarity in that thread. TFR also has a dedicated SRA thread, and myself and others personally answer a lot of questions concerning becoming a CA firearm owner in the California Shooting Thread (I tend to answer the statutory/regulatory questions, as there are a lot of those in CA; I have not done a full update of the OP in a long time, nor did I finish the OP honestly), and TFR has a general newbie question thread as well.

I'm not saying anyone should go out and get a firearm; that's a personal decision that takes a lot of thought on your situation and needs, as well as how safe you believe (or know) you are with possession and usage of firearms, but I am saying that there's local goon resources if you have questions on making that decision or if you do go through with that, as that's better than soliciting advice from randos in gun forums which tend to be full of... not so great people to say the least (there's a reason the thread title for the CA Shooting Thread was last set to "We read Calguns so you don't have to").

Additionally, there's many other goon resources. A goon put together a thread on emergency preparedness in GIP. As said in that thread: door reinforcement kits and shatter-resistant film on windows are steps you can take to help harden your home some from common methods of illegal entry, but it also goes over practical things like backing up your documents, extra food, water, and also medical supplies and medical training. Someone in TFR recently did a thread on people talking about building/purchasing first aid kits and getting medical training, like: Stop the Bleed is a short, cheap course on dealing with traumatic bleeding wounds, and NOLS Wilderness Medicine courses focus on first aid training where medical services aren't immediately available, with increasing certifications based around keeping someone stable for a longer amount of time when medical services aren't available (which is useful if you're out in the wilderness, or maybe in general if medical services aren't immediately available for other reasons). If you're thinking of hooking up with mutual aid, then skills like these are invaluable.

Really though, you should get to know your neighbors. Yeah, if your neighbor is flying a confederate flag then it's poo poo, but in general if you already have a line of communication and familiarity with your neighbors then at least you can look out for each other if things go bad, which is the whole idea behind mutual aid. Just going to quote from the preparedness thread:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

[POST]Community
A lot of people in the prepper community like to point at the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina as an example of post-disaster communal violence and societal breakdown, and they’re wrong. While major emergencies tend to aggravate existing security issues, the complete collapse of community cohesion and order is exaggerated, and in most cases, neighbors and strangers tend to help one another out. The first step in doing so is getting to know your neighbors and learning more about what skills, assets or vulnerabilities they may present. For example, through casual conversation (a skill learned by not being a typical goony shut-in!), I’ve learned that I have one neighbor who’s a doctor, another who recently remodeled their kitchen on their own, another who does most of their own car maintenance. I’ve also learned that I have other neighbors who have young kids and others who are immunosuppressed or require extra help in getting around. Knowing more about my immediate neighbors has given me an idea of who I might be able to look to for help, and also, who I may need to help out should the situation call for it.

Beyond getting to know your neighbors, there may be community resources in your area that can be engaged. Look and see if you have a local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). These are basically teams of volunteers who are trained in a variety of skills, including light search and rescue, first aid, and other disaster response skills in order to support local fire/EMS/public safety. Getting involved with them can be a good way to learn about community resources and give you a view of how your local government/community can respond to an emergency. Again, this doesn’t turn you into a professional first responder- CERT members may do things like administrative work or patient triage to free up more experienced professionals for more critical tasks.

Another thing to look into are mutual aid networks. Mutual aid is something that grew out of left anarchism and basically involves organizing neighbors/communities to address shared and individual needs to the extent possible. A lot of communities organized their own de facto mutual aid networks during COVID, and this is something that could be leveraged during a disaster as well.
We encourage you to look into other local groups or collectives at your own level- the more you know about the assets and liabilities that neighbors and community at large possess, the better.

Hope that helps.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

krysmopompas posted:

It’s a tough call.

Yeah, you've got a point. I thought about it after posting and decided to give him $50. I legit thought the reaction here would go the other way and was preparing for a verbal pounding. Thanks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

krysmopompas posted:

It’s a tough call.

"Was mean to a former employee" is a pretty hosed up way of putting sexual harassment.

Yeah, you've got a point. I thought about it after posting and decided to give him $50. I legit thought the reaction here would go the other way and was preparing for a verbal pounding. Thanks

And if you think the above is also a good enough point to give money to a sexual harasser, then that is also pretty hosed up.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 2, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shahid isn't going to win so just do what your heart tells you

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Shahid isn't going to win so just do what your heart tells you

He wasn't even going to win before the allegations.

Pelosi represents the regular voting block of San Francisco perfectly, the, "I have gay friends and fly a pride flag but make gobs and gobs of money so I'd really just prefer to ship the homeless to Oakland or something, I dunno, I could donate a few hundred to a food bank I guess."

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Please do not vote YES on Prop 16

Edit: I can't read right.

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 2, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

LMAO I am so sorry. I read that article wrong. Mea culpa. One of the last paragraphs made it sound like Prop 16 was trying to pull a Prop 8. I am still leery because of the sponsorship, but yeah I read it wrong.

EDIT: Rereading the section that confused me, how the gently caress did prop 209 pass. Goddamn. The 90s were loving awful.

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 2, 2020

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

GrandpaPants posted:

"Was mean to a former employee" is a pretty hosed up way of putting sexual harassment.
I think you’re getting the croydon story mixed up with wilde’s story.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

krysmopompas posted:

I think you’re getting the croydon story mixed up with wilde’s story.

What exactly is the point you're trying to make here? That emotional abuse is okay (it's not) but sexual harassment isn't (it's also not)? That Buttar deserves some benefit of the doubt despite a pattern of behavior that points towards him being a piece of poo poo, leading to DSA SF to rescind their endorsement of him? Diminishing any of these testimonies to "was mean" is, as I'll say again, pretty hosed up.

Here are some links for others in the thread:

https://medium.com/@elizabethcroydon/shahid-buttar-repeatedly-sexually-harassed-me-1a23f22924dd

https://twitter.com/Socialist_queer/status/1290695252571914241

https://missionlocal.org/2020/07/shahid-buttar-sexual-harassment-allegation-misogyny-allegation-nancy-pelosi/

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
https://medium.com/@ThatsJacqueline/the-many-faces-of-elizabeth-croydon-and-the-puppeteers-the-evolving-summary-bc3b8b29ccec

https://independentpoliticalreport....se-accusations/

GrandpaPants posted:

What exactly is the point you're trying to make here? That emotional abuse is okay (it's not) but sexual harassment isn't (it's also not)?
None of this rises to the level of a significant enough offense in a flawed electoral system where lesser-evilism is the only choice we are allowed.

What about all the sex predators Pelosi has protected over the decades?

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah uh, can we maybe not do the Tara Reade thing where because the accusers allegations are politically inconvenient, we just slander the accuser? Thanks. :yikes:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

krysmopompas posted:

It’s a tough call.

lol this is framed like the classic baby Hitler time machine joke, but the ethical dimension is flattened down to voting

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Sydin posted:

Yeah uh, can we maybe not do the Tara Reade thing where because the accusers allegations are politically inconvenient, we just slander the accuser? Thanks. :yikes:
Can we also not do the Alex Morse thing too, where because the accused fits into some ‘other’ category, we automatically and uncritically fall in line with the bourgeois establishment because it doesn’t threaten our class interests?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Centrist Committee posted:

lol this is framed like the classic baby Hitler time machine joke, but the ethical dimension is flattened down to voting
It was meant to be an indictment of electoral politics as well, so that checks out.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
100% gently caress shahid buttar and gently caress you for donating to him.

Dude is a creep, he was when I did a loving fundraiser for him and volunteered for his campaign, I believe Jasper & Shanti 100%. I got INTO it last night with someone who texted me about continuing to volunteer.

E: it's called praxis and it's really loving important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

krysmopompas posted:

Can we also not do the Alex Morse thing too, where because the accused fits into some ‘other’ category, we automatically and uncritically fall in line with the bourgeois establishment because it doesn’t threaten our class interests?

Believe women.