Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh Wes, you were brought back for an awful idea of an episode. Absolutely snakebitten.

Edit: good god I wish I was actively following this show when this episode came out. What a....horrible idea from top to bottom.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Even more yikes was that was written to explain Chakotay’s backstory.

Chakotay has two aspects of his character that are set up in TNG. The first is that he was allegedly Ro Laren's teacher at Starfleet Academy, and secondly, he went "gently caress this racist poo poo" and joined the Maquis when the Federation began forcibly removing off-world Native American colonies along the Cardassian Neutral Zone. We never really get confirmation that the first one is 100% true, but it makes the Trek universe feel a little bit more connected, so people handwave it into being true.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Up the Ladder is a loving weird episode. Warf contract Klingon chicken pox, the crew saves a colony of 18th century Irish stereotypes straight out of Gangs of New York, the other colony the Enterprise finds are all clones which leads into this discussion about reproductive rights and Riker tells us cloning is bad because it diminishes the original :v: and the solution to the problem is polygamy. This script is loving mess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

side_burned posted:

Up the Ladder is a loving weird episode. Warf contract Klingon chicken pox, the crew saves a colony of 18th century Irish stereotypes straight out of Gangs of New York, the other colony the Enterprise finds are all clones which leads into this discussion about reproductive rights and Riker tells us cloning is bad because it diminishes the original :v: and the solution to the problem is polygamy. This script is loving mess.
It’s one of the worst of TNG

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Unmature posted:

Watching ST09 for the first time in forever and man I used to like this movie a lot more. There’s still stuff I’m into like a lot about Kirk, Urban’s performance, and it looks nice. But goddamn what is up with Spock. He’s smirking and quipping all over the place. And he sounds like such a wiener.

I feel like Quinto played that role like a younger Spock who doesn't have the maturity of the Spock from TOS. I recall reading an interview with Quinto before the movie came out and he talked about how he used to watch TOS episodes with Nimoy and talked with him often about the character. TOS Spock also quips pretty often and is a bit of a dick, but it's softened because he's being a dick with his dear friends. He's not dear friends anyone in ST09, so it makes more sense that in 09 and STID he sounds more smarmy. I kind of prefer it to Peck's portrayal on STD where's got the cold logic down, but not the sense of humor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quinto plays Spock with wayyyyyy too much outer emotion. I felt like Peck did a good job with a Spock who is more uncertain of himself but it still feels like Spock.

Meanwhile Quinto Spock freaks out all the time and/or gets into fights

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the deal with Voyager and pot roasts anyway

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Leola root.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

side_burned posted:

The only thing I like about this episode is Worf thanking Pulaski for not revealing his diagnosis by having a tea ceremony with her. That was kind of cool. The rest of the episode is extremely embarrassing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

V-Men posted:

I feel like Quinto played that role like a younger Spock who doesn't have the maturity of the Spock from TOS. I recall reading an interview with Quinto before the movie came out and he talked about how he used to watch TOS episodes with Nimoy and talked with him often about the character. TOS Spock also quips pretty often and is a bit of a dick, but it's softened because he's being a dick with his dear friends. He's not dear friends anyone in ST09, so it makes more sense that in 09 and STID he sounds more smarmy. I kind of prefer it to Peck's portrayal on STD where's got the cold logic down, but not the sense of humor.

I think the simple fact of the matter is that Quinto is not a particularly gifted actor. (He's particularly dreadful in the recent Netflix revival of The Boys in the Band, which is one of my favorite stage shows and movies.) He got the part of Spock because people saw him as Sylar and thought "OMG HE LOOKS JUST LIKE A YOUNG LEONARD NIMOY," but ultimately he just doesn't have any capacity for nuance or subtlety, and he tends to deliver his dialogue--not just as Spock, but also in his other work--with a rather dull monotone. I generally like the casting of the Kelvin movies (Pegg, Pine, Urban and Yelchin are all great, and Zoe Saldana does her best with some pretty thankless scripts), but Quinto was a huge misfire.

No one will ever be able to recapture the magic of Leonard Nimoy delivering some dull-rear end dialogue, making it sound profound and snarky at the same while also being drunk as a skunk, but Quinto doesn't even come close.

Wee Bairns posted:

Long shot, but anyone know where I can listen to the legendary drunk commentary of Insurrection while watching a stream of the movie? I don't have the BluRay, but would love to listen to this over that shitshow...

It used to be on YouTube in its entirety, but Paramount smacked it down maybe a year or two ago.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 7, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even though no one could ever match Nimoy, I’d say Peck has gotten the closest.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
ST09 is still pretty enjoyable it just feels like such a nothing when you’re done with it. So straightforward. The time travel stuff is kind of out there but other than that it’s such a basic action movie and next to The One Where They Go Back In Time To Get Whales or The One With The Space Vagina or The One Where Kirk Decides Not To Kill God it’s like oh cool they flew the ship fast in time. Cool.
I feel like in many ways it’s ground zero for how dull modern blockbusters have gotten and why a lot of it is JJ’s fault.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Even though no one could ever match Nimoy, I’d say Peck has gotten the closest.

Low bar to clear, since there have only been two post-Nimoy actors. :v:

I've read good things about Peck's performance, but I tapped out after maybe three episodes of Discovery's second season, so I'll likely never see it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Timby posted:

Low bar to clear, since there have only been two post-Nimoy actors. :v:

I've read good things about Peck's performance, but I tapped out after maybe three episodes of Discovery's second season, so I'll likely never see it.

You'll have your chance with Strange New Worlds when that premiers.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I never really questioned or was bothered by Spock's attitude in those movies because it's taking place in an entirely different universe that is basically off-kilter because of history changing, even if they don't look at the camera and point out why Spock is different the way you get to see for Kirk. Even not really developing beyond that in the second movie was fine because Vulcans end up a hair away from extinction and his future self tells him what amounts to "you do you, I'll handle the being a Vulcan stuff". But ultimately I do think Quinto just wouldn't have the range to eventually change into something more balanced, he's just limited.

Peck is a drastically better Spock, both in that I can actually hear things Nimoy would have said in his voice and mannerisms, and his portrayal actually adds to Spock meaningfully as a character overall. I honestly couldn't say what Quinto's brought to the character beyond "it's someone playing Spock". The only real sticking point about Peck is he really does look better as bearded Spock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Seemlar posted:

The only real sticking point about Peck is he really does look better as bearded Spock.

Peck is great, they should just let him keep the beard.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just have an insert shot of Mirror Mirror Spock shaving and the universe remains balanced

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

side_burned posted:

That's the one where Geordi says he can always tell when people (or humans, at least) are lying, right? By seeing little skin-temperature changes and whatnot? An ability which is never ever mentioned again?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

That's the one where Geordi says he can always tell when people (or humans, at least) are lying, right? By seeing little skin-temperature changes and whatnot? An ability which is never ever mentioned again?

It’s weird that they let him in the poker games

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Yep, the one line that almost completely invalidates Troi’s entire function on the bridge.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Depends if the tv shows infrared

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only thing I like about this episode is Worf thanking Pulaski for not revealing his diagnosis by having a tea ceremony with her. That was kind of cool. The rest of the episode is extremely embarrassing.

I like the really hot Irish lady

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Unmature posted:

It’s weird that they let him in the poker games

Would you let any of them in the poker game? You've got a blind man who can see when are lying, an empath who can detect deception and an android with the ability to count cards and manipulate the results...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Zaroff posted:

Would you let any of them in the poker game? You've got a blind man who can see when are lying, an empath who can detect deception and an android with the ability to count cards and manipulate the results...

Riker accepts these as an almost adequate handicap against him and still wins every time

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Unmature posted:

ST09 is still pretty enjoyable it just feels like such a nothing when you’re done with it. So straightforward. The time travel stuff is kind of out there but other than that it’s such a basic action movie and next to The One Where They Go Back In Time To Get Whales or The One With The Space Vagina or The One Where Kirk Decides Not To Kill God it’s like oh cool they flew the ship fast in time. Cool.
I feel like in many ways it’s ground zero for how dull modern blockbusters have gotten and why a lot of it is JJ’s fault.

I don't want them to make it, but I'm really curious as to what a TNG-era show in the Kelvin timeline would look like. Relations with the Romulans could be especially interesting if the Federation gave them all the information they had on Nero and the Romulan supernova.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I don't want them to make it, but I'm really curious as to what a TNG-era show in the Kelvin timeline would look like. Relations with the Romulans could be especially interesting if the Federation gave them all the information they had on Nero and the Romulan supernova.

Would Hardy or McAvoy play Picard

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Unmature posted:

Would Hardy or McAvoy play Picard

Both. You hire McAvoy to mocap and then cgi in Hardy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep, the one line that almost completely invalidates Troi’s entire function on the bridge.
Why is Troi on the bridge? She's a counselor, shouldn't she be in an office having sessions with members of the crew?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why is Troi on the bridge? She's a counselor, shouldn't she be busy with counseling session with the rest of the crew?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Woah, double post. Which one of my posts dates Troi and which one joins the Maqui?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SardonicTyrant posted:

Why is Troi on the bridge? She's a counselor, shouldn't she be busy with counseling session with the rest of the crew?

So us mooks at home gots somethin to look at! We got a good thing going here don't mess it up!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So us mooks at home gots somethin to look at! We got a good thing going here don't mess it up!

One of the weirdest things about Troi is that they doll her up very strangely and make her completely unattractive throughout the TV series run.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love Troi’s Elaine hairdo. She looks like one of the mob wives from Goodfellas

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Why is Troi on the bridge? She's a counselor, shouldn't she be in an office having sessions with members of the crew?

Presumably she’s there to give Picard an edge in negotiations and confrontations but her entire superpower is to just openly state what everyone else can easily interpret from body language.

“I sense anger and irritation, Captain”. Well yeah, no poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Early bridge plans mark her as 'sociologist', which makes more sense why she's there - I think the idea was that they'd be playing more into aliens could be weird and have strange psychology and her job is to advise the captain during encounters about that, but it didn't come off well in execution.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

I can't remember if I picked this up as a joke or it was legit, but I think it was part of the 80s mentality. Captain has a Person To Talk To nearby, after all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She counsels the captain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the casting of TNG was generally less ambitious in terms of internationalism, but including a staff psychologist when none of the writers really had much respect for or knew what to do with a psychologist was another major failure. At least Uhura had a technical job that everybody understood.

Although I think most of the bridge crew in the first season was awkward. Geordi was the pilot, there just kinda wasn't an engineer, I'm not sure Data and Worf had real jobs, although I think Worf was the guy who Yar commanded to do fighting, which was part of why she was superfluous. Wesley got permission to be on bridge before he had a reason to be there, but I think his mom didn't really hang out on the bridge much. And all of that is on top of the weird decision to have Picard and Riker basically functionally redundant (they made it work, but it was still a weird decision that I don't think other series copied).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I never thought about it until they mentioned it on RLM but the theory that they included Riker as basically a backup captain who’s more traditionally Kirk-like in case the little old bald British man didn’t connect with audiences seems very plausible to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The idea in the show bible is that Riker would do away missions and have adventures and generally be the cool and sexy one, while Picard would be the wise commanding dad who never leaves the bridge.