Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?

The Oldest Man posted:

Uh what about people who don't have a reliable address?

I don't think you know what a census actually is. Think it through. Clue: Homeless shelters will give anyone that wants one a reliable address if they need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, there is no clean check bill.

We need a new speaker of the house, but is there a better option available? Last time Pelosi was the least terrible choice.

Constitution doesn't say the Speaker has to be a member of the House. Hell, there's no rule saying a dog can't be speaker.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TulliusCicero posted:

There is evidence that boats made with the materials that the Egyptians and Phonecians would have access to *could* get to the New World. There is also evidence of Iron Age tin mining on the coast of North America, Tin being an important commodity in the Mediterranean World.

I never said it was conclusive evidence, just the real possibility that Phoenican colonists, who were known for their exploration and search for resources to trade, could have gotten there. It's an interesting theory.

Also there is evidence to suggests that fishermen in Spain were fishing off the coast of North America for centuries, because that area of the Mid Atlantic is fantastic for fishing.

This isn't related to USPOL though, I just find the theory fascinating

In USPOL news, is there any change in Trump's numbers can actually improve before the election?

He seems to be in a death spiral at this point, and I want this election to be clean and decisive as possible

Im coming down on this because my research background is as a Mayanist and this stuff crops up all the time because it absolutely bleeds into the "Indigenous peoples did bit do X" which I know is not anywhere near what you are suggesting, but perhaps explains my push back.

The basque fishing thing is more legit and more accepted, though the amount of contact is still up in the air.

. There is local bronze production in the Americas which is way way more likely and also likely more copper working then we see, that Tin theory is absolutely insane without going into even the economic and logistic factors exploitation would require.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 14, 2020

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Maybe she was having a bad day or senior moment or something (isn't she old as absolute hell?), but drat, you'd really think after so many years in the business this kind of thing would be old hat to her, like how does someone in her position go this long without solid Media Training

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If nothing else the stimulus slapfight is an indicator of just how little the US government actually does for its citizens. Even if the Democrats are truly hamstrung and can’t do anything due to Republicans blocking everything that’s more an indictment of the entire system than anything else

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

I don't think you know what a census actually is. Think it through. Clue: Homeless shelters will give anyone that wants one a reliable address if they need it.

We have five thousandish unsheltered homeless in my city who are routinely refused services. Are you seriously advocating that just stopping the census before even the census bureau thinks it's complete is acceptable?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Airconswitch posted:

Constitution doesn't say the Speaker has to be a member of the House. Hell, there's no rule saying a dog can't be speaker.

No age requirement? I mean the age requirement is a soft ban on dogs being president.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Aineris posted:

You have no idea how shelters work and what it's like to be homeless.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aineris posted:

My point really is that it's not exactly hard to get counted. 10 goddamn minutes to fill out 5 really basic questions. If they don't want to be counted, then gently caress them. People need to have some skin in the game.

It's a roll call of everyone living in the country. It doesn't matter if you want to be counted. The Constitution doesn't say "according to their respective Numbers, which shall be
determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, except those loving losers who can't take 10 minutes out of their day."

It's the job of the Census Bureau to count everyone, and the Supreme Court is explicitly allowing them to ignore that responsibility because it's hard.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?

The Oldest Man posted:

We have five thousandish unsheltered homeless in my city who are routinely refused services. Are you seriously advocating that just stopping the census before even the census bureau thinks it's complete is acceptable?

Yep. They choose not to be counted, when they are easily countable, because they do not give a poo poo. The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented. Remember, these people aren't participating in society in any capacity. They're not employed, they're not paying taxes, they're not voting, they're not doing anything productive with their lives whatsoever. They can do better, but they choose not to.

For the purposes of government representation, it's important to count people that want government representation. If they don't want to be represented, then who the hell cares?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Aineris posted:

Yep. They choose not to be counted, when they are easily countable, because they do not give a poo poo. The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented. Remember, these people aren't participating in society in any capacity. They're not employed, they're not paying taxes, they're not voting, they're not doing anything productive with their lives whatsoever. They can do better, but they choose not to.

For the purposes of government representation, it's important to count people that want government representation. If they don't want to be represented, then who the hell cares?

Hey hi gently caress off forever

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Aineris posted:

they don't deserve to be represented.

wrong and also gently caress off, shithead

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aineris posted:

Yo man you ever just look at your posts and wonder where the gently caress you went wrong?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Aineris posted:

This is the guy who all the Republicans are appealing to by being as cruel as possible BTW

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Aineris posted:

Yeah this is the worst take

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Aineris posted:

Shut the gently caress up ghoul

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Aineris posted:

All this poo poo with the census ending early is really loving dumb.

Seriously, people have had months to fill out like 5 questions that takes about 2 minutes on the Internet. If they don't have the Internet, fine, whatever, send it back in the mail. 10 minutes instead of 2 minutes. Not exactly hard to do.

If there are people that don't want to be counted and resist every effort to count them, then they don't deserve to be represented if they're not interested in participating in the system.

All this poo poo with assuming that everyone in the country has a single address with convenient mail service is really loving dumb.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aineris posted:

Mm...no. I don’t think so.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Aineris posted:

The standard for being a part of the country is not dictated by your personal definition of necessary work. The duty of the government apportionment is to accurate enumerate everyone who lives inside it, so that decisions of funding, planning, and access can be made for the next decade.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Aineris posted:

Hey other people are telling you to gently caress off (which is good and correct) but I will further add that many people are turned away from homeless shelters because there's not enough room in them and not for any fault of their own you absolute loving terrible ghoul. Not to mention how many "shelters" are run by religious zealots who force their beliefs and standards as a bare minimum to offer them any sort of assistance.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Now that y'all have thoroughly dunked on that particular bit of insane horseshit, did we talk about this bit of insane horseshit?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1316130757954461701

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Aineris posted:

what the gently caress is that matter with you? they are still citizens of this country and deserve to be counted and hopefully helped.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

:stare:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

Im coming down on this because my research background is as a Mayanist and this stuff crops up all the time because it absolutely bleeds into the "Indigenous peoples did bit do X" which I know is not anywhere near what you are suggesting, but perhaps explains my push back.

The basque fishing thing is more legit and more accepted, though the amount of contact is still up in the air.

. There is local bronze production in the Americas which is way way more likely and also likely more copper working then we see, that Tin theory is absolutely insane without going into even the economic and logistic factors exploitation would require.

Forgive me, I was not remotely suggesting that indigenous peoples were not capable of the mining operations in North America. I completely understand from your background if you took me as suggesting that.
I just remember the theory being intriguing if improbable, because it would mean the Western and Eastern Hemisphere had more contact with each other before the Age of Sail then we previously thought.

I assume you mean the people that think because there were pyramids in Central America and Egypt there must have been contact (or worse: the Mayans are some lost colony of Egypt) right? That theory is completely stupid and insulting for several reasons.

Regarding Bronze Age mining, I would assume that the Mound Builders or peoples adjacent to them would be the more likely culprits

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 14, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Aineris posted:

Perhaps people that frequently have severe trauma, substance abuse issues, and/or mental illness should be the people we make the most effort to reach and better, rather than self-righteously declaring them a lost cause? The idea that the homeless or poor are a product of laziness is a really poisonous and untrue framing, it's an excuse to avoid the ethical duty to assist them.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Aineris posted:

The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented. Remember, these people aren't participating in society in any capacity.
jesus christ I mean I know you're getting dogpiled but this is the worst poo poo I have ever seen itt and I truly hope that the page of people quoting this makes it clear that you specifically are the one poster everyone else agrees is unwelcome here

Edit:

twice burned ice posted:

Now that y'all have thoroughly dunked on that particular bit of insane horseshit, did we talk about this bit of insane horseshit?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1316130757954461701
Oh that's great news, since abortion is also a highly politicized issue I assume she'll be staying out of that one too.

hell honestly I'm not sure she's going to be a very active justice if she doesn't want to get involved in political issues

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 14, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I think it's a 90 second ad for this merchandise available at the URL.

Whoever owns the rights to vision street wear should sue the poo poo out of Kanye.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I don't want to express the view that the tpesdient should peacefully hand over power as the constitution didn't specifically say so until a founding father made the precedent. However if said precident was to be acknowleged
.. Why isnt it in the original document?

Checkmate non fascists.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Aineris posted:

go gently caress yourself

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Again with the "decrease the surplus population" people, just in time for Xmas

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Terror Sweat posted:

1200 dollars isn't my first choice, hell it's not even my fifth, but it's the best option we have and I'm sick of all you purity testers.
This was a good bit and I'm saddened that others failed to recognize it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What Trump will or will not accept does not matter. He has no input on the issue right now.
Sure, but that was the same deal for CARES. Mitch was just told to shut the gently caress up and pass whatever Mnuchin agreed to, even if most of the yeas were Dems. Which pissed off Graham and other senators whose donors wanted the unemployment spike to force wages down and then saw the expanded UI instead create an upward pressure.

Those donors (we'll call them the Meadows camp) were in conflict with the big corporate money (Mnuchin camp) who fear that major economic disruption will gently caress with their painstakingly constructed wealth extraction machine. So they got Meadows to babysit this round (until Mnuchin got him booted) and now Mitch is publicly warning the President that they won't pass anything, which apparently some people are interpreting as a sign of strength rather than a weak empty threat?

Glumwheels posted:

Mitch doesn’t care, he won’t take up the heroes act and Trump’s pressure is about as weak as the low flow toilets he complains about. He’s floundering with the polls the way they are and Mitch owes him nothing. He’s got no reason to pass anything because he doesn’t care about helping Trump as it won’t help Mitch’s election chances or the federalist society. Trump’s already in his lame duck period, he just doesn’t know it yet.
The conservatives and moderates who oppose Trump generally favor more stimulus, so the at-risk Rs have reason to back it. As do incumbents in deeply Trumpy states if it becomes a Trump-Mitch slapfight. It's not clear that Mitch would keep his spot as (minority) leader if he gets into a fight on this with Trump. That this is the moment that the Senate would choose to stand up to Trump is... questionable.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, there is no clean check bill.

We need a new speaker of the house, but is there a better option available? Last time Pelosi was the least terrible choice.
Mitch has previously said he'd pass a clean bill on checks. At the time, that was widely seen as an obvious trap for Dems.

As for Pelosi, the last serious challenger was Tim Ryan, who is far worse ideologically (just ask his literal blue dog support base like Schrader). Since then, Dems have built their majority largely on the back of purple districts and the sorts of succdem that Bustos recruits from her DCCC spot. A caucus that could force Pelosi out and replace her with someone to her left is a caucus that could have done way better than HEROES, not funded the camps, etc. It sucks we don't have them, but here we are.

2022 (planned retirement date) will be somewhat of a different story since status quo won't be an option, but I'm not optimistic we'll see a meaningful shift leftward.

ShakeZula posted:

Moreover, when's the last time a party in either the House or Senate made a leadership change that didn't involve the previous holder of the post dying or leaving office?
Boehner was essentially pushed out through years of mounting bullshit, and even then it required Ryan's donors to convince him to perch on the edge of the Tortilla Cliff despite knowing it'd end his aspirations for higher office.

Airconswitch posted:

Wow!!! Speaker Bernie! Pete.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005

fool of sound posted:

Perhaps people that frequently have severe trauma, substance abuse issues, and/or mental illness should be the people we make the most effort to reach and better, rather than self-righteously declaring them a lost cause? The idea that the homeless or poor are a product of laziness is a really poisonous and untrue framing, it's an excuse to avoid the ethical duty to assist them.

There are better ways of solving this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commitment_(mental_health)

P.S. You get a permanent address that way, so that the census can reach you without all of this other BS.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Aineris posted:

I didn't realize Ebenezer Scrooge had an account, wild. Hope those 3 ghosts visit you soon so you can stop being less of a total shithead :wtc:

"Are the poorhouses not in operation?"

Hey duder, people who get turned away from homeless shelters often have mental health issues, the amount of resources for the shelter is extremely limited, or all the above

Also, gently caress you. Just gently caress you. A homeless person "contributes" far more to society just by living and attempting to be a good person, than your poor attempt at a perverted mockery of a decent human being :fuckoff:

Data Graham posted:

Again with the "decrease the surplus population" people, just in time for Xmas

Just this really

This is the guy who "A Modest Proposal" is about jfc

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 14, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Aineris posted:

There are better ways of solving this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commitment_(mental_health)

P.S. You get a permanent address that way, so that the census can reach you without all of this other BS.

Involuntary commitment has is own slew of issues and abuses, which is why it's rarely used anymore, and voluntary commitment A) requires people to reach out and B) it requires mental health funding that at the moment doesn't exist. And none of this refutes the idea that they're still people and frequently citizens who deserve representation regardless of what their current disabilities are.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Aineris posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shut the gently caress up ghoul

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Aineris posted:

And how does that support your claim that we shouldn't count them in the census?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Aineris posted:

The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented.

This is probably the worst take I've ever read on this forum. (Beating out that one poster in tradgames who shows up whenever someone complains about casual use of slurs to say "actually, using slurs is cool and good.")

Simultaneously saying "people who are disabled don't get to vote" and "queer people who get turned away from homeless shelters for religious reasons are just lazy and don't deserve representation."

e: And then you double down! gently caress off.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think maybe the guy who wants to let all the poors die might not be arguing in good faith here.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
To make my own point more explicit: would you say that someone who suffered a serious physical disability that rendered them effectively unable to work doesn't deserve representation? If not, why should a serious mental disability be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

"Are there no mental health facilities?"