Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1317749714796924928

this guys twitter account is always required reading for anyone interested in covid and that article is a nice summary of whats happened so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lol Vietnam had fewer cases than France gets an hour AND grew gdp despite fighting a pandemic. Lmfao.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

dex_sda posted:

Lol Vietnam had fewer cases than France gets an hour AND grew gdp despite fighting a pandemic. Lmfao.
Must be the informant culture I've read so much about.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Must be the informant culture I've read so much about.

It's informed by something alright

(communism)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

extraordinarily convenient that they announced this the day after the election :thunk::tinfoil:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

rude

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's the latter. I typically go grocery shopping after my shift, and groceries have the same mask mandate we have for restaurants (until you sit down to eat/drink/yarfk particulates all over your friends). Compliance is effectively full at the grocery, with the occasional dude with his schnoz peeking out above the mask.

This.

If you think about it the people who take this seriously enough to wear masks would probably never want to step foot in a restaurant to dine in.

That's why the whole "open er up we gotta save the economy" thing seems insane to me. There's enough people that have changed their behavior that businesses are still going to be hurting because as long as the pandemic is going on they will have a loss of revenue. Even in my chud TN county businesses are closing for good and we never had a shutdown.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Spoke to my my parents who are in a Tier 3 ‘lockdown’ area in the UK and they were telling me about having their new boiler fitted. When I asked if the people doing the work wore masks, they looked surprised and said no, but it’s ok because the fitters were tested each day. A COVID test? no, a temperature check. Then they told me it’s ok because they went out to a restaurant for a few hours one of the days while they there so they weren’t with them in the house.

:negative:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Helith posted:

Spoke to my my parents who are in a Tier 3 ‘lockdown’ area in the UK and they were telling me about having their new boiler fitted. When I asked if the people doing the work wore masks, they looked surprised and said no, but it’s ok because the fitters were tested each day. A COVID test? no, a temperature check. Then they told me it’s ok because they went out to a restaurant for a few hours one of the days while they there so they weren’t with them in the house.

lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Don't let this virus dominate your life. Don't be afraid of jalapeno poppers. They can't hurt you. They won't even hurt your wallet!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Helith posted:

Yeah it's so disheartening. 6-7 months in and we're still dealing w boneheaded stuff like this (my parents too, not singling yours out)

You can't really trust anyone to social distance appropriately I've learned, isolation really is the only winning long term strategy

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Florida shamelessly continues their fuckery

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1317542013202554884

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1316564869961965571

lmao, how is this not a punishable crime

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Everyone knows governments lie, thus governments are allowed to lie. I think that's consistent with precedent in the US.

Helith posted:

:positive:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

snake and bake posted:

Florida shamelessly continues their fuckery

lmao, how is this not a punishable crime

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Helith posted:

Hell this week at my job they proved that the daily temperature check is just performative by letting someone who was sick into work because his brother took a covid test that came up negative.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Everyone knows governments lie, thus governments are allowed to lie. I think that's consistent with precedent in the US.

:positive:

Positive Man: "There's just no way I can stay away from Disneyland..."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell this week at my job they proved that the daily temperature check is just performative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSfCsl9dV8

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Oct 18, 2020

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

screen resolution definition

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"This message is approved by Lindsay Graham."

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
As a Canadian living in South Carolina, covid times has made me want to murder all political leaders here

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1317749714796924928

this guys twitter account is always required reading for anyone interested in covid and that article is a nice summary of whats happened so far

This image in particular is a great refutation that any type of economic recovery was ever possible without controlling the pandemic:

Not to get all geopolitics, but it's amazing how thoroughly the west is getting crushed by this virus while China is back to business. And this is only the beginning, it's going to drag out for at least another 2-4 years.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

This image in particular is a great refutation that any type of economic recovery was ever possible without controlling the pandemic:

Not to get all geopolitics, but it's amazing how thoroughly the west is getting crushed by this virus while China is back to business. And this is only the beginning, it's going to drag out for at least another 2-4 years.

can’t let the cure be worse than the disease!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Lmao how much of the “guilt of China” is just projection since the Usa response was such a failure.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Happy Thread posted:

Everyone should consider getting this 3M respirator from ebay. It's much cheaper, and it's the one I use every day so I can vouch for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224042126108

The cartridges are tear gas proof in addition to COVID proof --- p100 filters remove even smaller particles than n95. It does have a nice round protrusion for its exhalation valve so you can easily seal that off with rubber band + paper towel. Others don't.

Reusable forever for only $40. In non industrial settings where you're not breathing solvents all day it will never get clogged. Lightly bleach with a paper towel and dry it before you put it on every day to disinfect it, making sure not to get the actual filter innards wet. Wear it much looser than you think you need or you'll hurt your face. Do the seal test to make sure, but it will still seal fine if you have it lined up right.

Thanks again, Happy Thread. I got my respirator a few days ago. I was a little worried that the medium would be too big because I'm tiny, but I read somewhere that medium is standard because it fits like 90% of people. It adjusts quite a bit and fits me fine. Small must be for kids, or adults smaller than me (5' tall female). My partner has a big moon face and it seems to fit him too, though he'll have to shave before we can do a proper fit test.

I definitely can't wear my regular glasses with it, and I don't see how safety goggles would work unless they're designed to go with this mask, since it covers the bridge of my nose. I paired it with these swim goggles, which worked perfectly. Any similar style swim goggles would probably work.

Wore it out to the 7-11 to pick up my monthly ration of tobacco stuff. Got some weird looks but idgaf. The cashier wasn't wearing a mask at all. I felt way more confident and less anxious than I did in a cloth mask.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1317822838519128068?s=21

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"We're catching TOO MANY cases, if you think about it! Ron Desantis, Greg Abbott, etc. have the right idea - NO MORE TESTING!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pretty sure that even if Vietnam and New Zealand tested every resident every day they'd still have far fewer cases per capita!

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

didn’t China just test like 9 million people in a single region? I mean I don’t expect trunp to be factual but still

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/cleavon_md/status/1287270559525437447?s=21

quote:

“A 20-something-year-old girl went to a party with her friends and got COVID,” he said.

“Before she was symptomatic, she visited her 80-year-old grandparents and they got sick.”

Chang said all three ended up in the ICU at Parkland, but the granddaughter didn’t know it because she was intubated and unconscious.

She woke up after ten days and discovered not only had her grandparents been in the ICU with her, “but her grandfather had passed the day before she woke back up,” Chang said.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wow. owned

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how many companies close up operations in heavily effected countries in the next few quarters, and move them where employees aren't sick or less productive due to the endemic COVID.

Probably going to be a real boon for those that haven't totally hosed it up.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
China welded people in their homes and shoved infected women into transportation boxes.

They deserve this W.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

snake and bake posted:

I definitely can't wear my regular glasses with it, and I don't see how safety goggles would work unless they're designed to go with this mask, since it covers the bridge of my nose. I paired it with these swim goggles, which worked perfectly. Any similar style swim goggles would probably work.

I found these "goggles" to fit with my half-mask, but it likely depends on the size of your face. They're also indirectly vented, which is good for wearing for extended periods without too much fogging but probably not so great if you're in a plague cauldron. OTOH unless you're a medical worker performing aerosolizing procedures they're probably ok.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lol

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

good to see the president is back on his bullshit and also literally 100% fine after getting covid :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

snake and bake posted:

Thanks again, Happy Thread. I got my respirator a few days ago. I was a little worried that the medium would be too big because I'm tiny, but I read somewhere that medium is standard because it fits like 90% of people. It adjusts quite a bit and fits me fine. Small must be for kids, or adults smaller than me (5' tall female). My partner has a big moon face and it seems to fit him too, though he'll have to shave before we can do a proper fit test.

Wore it out to the 7-11 to pick up my monthly ration of tobacco stuff. Got some weird looks but idgaf. The cashier wasn't wearing a mask at all. I felt way more confident and less anxious than I did in a cloth mask.
How come your glasses don't work? I've been considering getting this model off eBay but haven't yet

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we had a large spike in cases at the end of august because college students came back, that spike has now subsided so they're reopening primary schools with a hybrid schedule of 2 hours in person, 2 hours online with staggered schedules to halve students on campus... not sure how it's going to work out for virus transmission but 7 months of social isolation has been really rough on my kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nocturtle posted:

COVID is going to kick off the West's Century of Humiliation