Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

multijoe posted:

Did anyone ever give a technobabble explanation as to why Rom's self replicating mines weren't a clear violation of thermodynamics?
Rom's so stupid he forgot thermodynamics when he designed the mines. So they worked! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Rom's so stupid he forgot thermodynamics when he designed the mines. So they worked! :v:

I’d like to think they just transported pieces of DS9 into their replicator matrix and that was how they made replacement mines. Dukat orders a sweep of the minefield and twenty minutes later his toilet just disappears.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They never explain it onscreen, but I think the manual said they all have a matter reservoir for building plus can collect and recycle matter from detonated mines (and presumably debris from ships), and will pass matter between each other to top each other up. The minefield is in the middle of the Denorios Belt too, so maybe there's ambient matter and energy in space they can also harvest. And the whole field constantly rearranges itself for optimal distribution of current supplies and collection and to cover holes so it has time to rebuild.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 22, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Self-replicating minefield that just sucks up matter from the nearby asteroid belt and turns it into new mines is actually one of the times when Star Trek takes a more plausible view as to what a civilisation at the level of the Federation should be able to do.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a 'charged plasma field', the purple swirly background that you could sometimes see in space shots of DS9. DS9 was originally going to be an asteroid belt but that would just be too much expense and hassle for doing in every ship shot so they changed it to just a mini-nebula belt so they could still have some visual interest but do it cheap.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The station is essentially designed to process raw materials for industrial use, so obviously the mines are reliant on off-screen bajoran labor camps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should've had a second minefield a thousand kilometres away or so that nobody knows about and told it to just drift on over if the first one explodes.

Then the second one takes up the place of the first one, uses the remains of the first one to make a new backup field, and tells it to go hide at a random new location.

This is probably a war crime or something.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

mossyfisk posted:

The station is essentially designed to process raw materials for industrial use, so obviously the mines are reliant on off-screen bajoran labor camps.

this makes sense. the cardassians would never allow bajoran labour camps to be dismantled because they're a very important part of cardassian culture

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

They should've had a second minefield a thousand kilometres away or so that nobody knows about and told it to just drift on over if the first one explodes.

Then the second one takes up the place of the first one, uses the remains of the first one to make a new backup field, and tells it to go hide at a random new location.

The federation? Commiting war crimes with mines? It's more likely that you think!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They never explain it onscreen, but I think the manual said they all have a matter reservoir for building plus can collect and recycle matter from detonated mines (and presumably debris from ships), and will pass matter between each other to top each other up. The minefield is in the middle of the Denorios Belt too, so maybe there's ambient matter and energy in space they can also harvest. And the whole field constantly rearranges itself for optimal distribution of current supplies and collection and to cover holes so it has time to rebuild.

Okay, that's a surprisingly cogent explanation!

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MikeJF posted:

Aren't lindmines a war crime because you can't easily clean them up? Given that you could instantly and completley dismantle the field when the threat has passed that wouldn't be an issue.

Edit: They probably tired this once and had a bugged patch that ened up with an enteir solar system being convereted into a death trap by self replicating mines.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No Luck Needed posted:

I watched TOS "the conscience of the king" and I find it so hilarious that Kirk is told there is a mass murder pretending to be an actor in the cold open, later invited to a cocktail party to meet the person face to face, and runs into the actor's hot daughter; pickers her up and dips out. This is one of those scenes where Kirk's sexuality and how he is written is put on full display.

Hold on, you've left out a key part of this scene: Lenore Karidian (the daughter) tells Kirk that Anton never attends social events or parties. Kirk went to the party hoping to see Anton, then learns from Lenore that that's not going to happen, and only after that does he 'dip out' with her.

Then during their walk he finds out from her what their plans are (booking passage on a... freighter? liner? to the next stop), then later calls up that ship's captain and arranges for the Karidian actors to be stranded, so that Lenore goes to him for help.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yes, Kirk absolutely does lean on sexuality in that episode to get what he wants, but it's not to get into a young woman's pants; it's to get at her father.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

sunday at work posted:

Aren't lindmines a war crime because you can't easily clean them up? Given that you could instantly and completley dismantle the field when the threat has passed that wouldn't be an issue.

Yep. WW2 landmines still turn up in Germany, France and North Africa from time to time.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

sunday at work posted:

Aren't lindmines a war crime because you can't easily clean them up?

"The Ottawa Convention, also referred to as the "Mine Ban Treaty," prohibits the use, stockpiling, production, and transfer of anti-personnel landmines (APLs). It requires states-parties to destroy their stockpiled APLs within four years and eliminate all APL holdings, including mines currently planted in the soil, within 10 years."

From here https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/ottawasigs

Edit
160 odd countries have signed up. The US is not one of them.

Dysgenesis fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 22, 2020

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

There are like 250k mines on the border of north and South Korea. US hasn’t been granted an exemption for that so we haven’t joined. If I recall correctly anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sunday at work posted:

that makes a lot of assumptions and I think the Enterprise has run into this sort of dumb trap from long-dead civilizations on a few occasions

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

that makes a lot of assumptions and I think the Enterprise has run into this sort of dumb trap from long-dead civilizations on a few occasions

The ep where Geordi's horny for the ship has one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just watched the Doomsday Machine the other day, and that's the theory Kirk floated about it.

Although he never got it confirmed, so maybe the machine was actually possessed by some alien robot satan munching planets on the way to killing alien robot god.

sunday at work posted:

Edit: They probably tired this once and had a bugged patch that ened up with an enteir solar system being convereted into a death trap by self replicating mines.

It's only a war crime if you've signed the international agreement to not use them, which I guess Starfleet didn't just like America didn't. Or maybe they did and Sisko filed that away along with false flag terrorism to trick somebody into allying you in a war. Or maybe most of the Federation signed an agreement not to use space mines, but humans didn't, so the rest of the Federation could maintain moral superiority while still having the tactical advantage of "immoral" weaponry like Nato.

If the Cardassians didn't find a way to remove the minefield and something happened to Rom, then those mines would be stuck in front of the wormhole for a long, long time. I guess at least the mines at least probably wouldn't get stuck replicating to infinity and swarm throughout the galaxy.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I feel like the wormhole mines (I'm sure someone has named them) would classify as an anti-tank or more likely a naval mine, which I don't think have a ban treaty beyond a requirement that you declare that you mined an area.

Bringing this back to the original post:

MikeJF posted:

...is only a war crime because the second minefield is a secret. That said, in WW2 the British just said "we mined the English channel" so as long as Starfleet declared "a replacement minefield not too far away" they'd probably be fine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Peter David wrote a book that posited the idea that the thing from Doomsday Machine was designed to kill the Borg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just watched the Doomsday Machine the other day, and that's the theory Kirk floated about it.

Although he never got it confirmed, so maybe the machine was actually possessed by some alien robot satan munching planets on the way to killing alien robot god.

It's only a war crime if you've signed the international agreement to not use them, which I guess Starfleet didn't just like America didn't. Or maybe they did and Sisko filed that away along with false flag terrorism to trick somebody into allying you in a war. Or maybe most of the Federation signed an agreement not to use space mines, but humans didn't, so the rest of the Federation could maintain moral superiority while still having the tactical advantage of "immoral" weaponry like Nato.

If the Cardassians didn't find a way to remove the minefield and something happened to Rom, then those mines would be stuck in front of the wormhole for a long, long time. I guess at least the mines at least probably wouldn't get stuck replicating to infinity and swarm throughout the galaxy.

The self-replicating mines fall into the wormhole and start teleporting to random points in space, then eat the wormhole aliens and get scattered to random points in time, eventually converting the entire past, present, and future galaxy into a constantly-detonating swarm of self-replicating mines.

... well, that's more of a Discovery plot.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MikeJF posted:

Imagine four minefields at the edge of a wormhole. War crime works the same way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tunicate posted:

The self-replicating mines fall into the wormhole and start teleporting to random points in space, then eat the wormhole aliens and get scattered to random points in time, eventually converting the entire past, present, and future galaxy into a constantly-detonating swarm of self-replicating mines.

... well, that's more of a Discovery plot.
Pretty close to a Lexx season arc, IIRC.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

There are like 250k mines on the border of north and South Korea. US hasn’t been granted an exemption for that so we haven’t joined. If I recall correctly anyway.

Plus the US makes the argument that we possess no persistent landmines in the first place and all of the anti personnel mines we have must be triggered by an operator, not a random person stepping in it. By 2033, we won't have any such mines anyhow because they haven't made any in decades and what we have will be expired.

It's that general American stance of "we functionally meet the requirements of the treaty, but we won't sign it" that we seem to like.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

harry wtf did you do

https://twitter.com/coreyspowell/status/1319381922280312833?s=21

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Literally a DS9 plot.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The tiny boat is adorable :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

galenanorth posted:

The tiny boat is adorable :3:

That’s a Benchy, one of the standard-ish test prints for 3D printers, which is a fun little thing to include in those models.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a Benchy, one of the standard-ish test prints for 3D printers, which is a fun little thing to include in those models.

Like that teapot or the Playboy centerfold wearing a hat.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the Cardassians didn't find a way to remove the minefield and something happened to Rom, then those mines would be stuck in front of the wormhole for a long, long time.

I don't think the Feds would have minded that too much considering they'd tried to close the wormhole previously.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Payndz posted:

Pretty close to a Lexx season arc, IIRC.

Aye, season 2.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

God, there is some prime avatar real estate in that picture.

This one jumped out at me.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I really hope LD gives us a whole episode animated like that.

Edit: vvvv yes, exactly.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 23, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A.o.D. posted:

I really hope LD gives us a whole episode animated like that.

That would be great for a time travel episode.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Oh man, the Lower Decks equivalent of a "Trials and Tribble-ations" would be something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

8one6 posted:

That would be great for a time travel episode.

Really want this to happen now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nullsmack posted:

Oh man, the Lower Decks equivalent of a "Trials and Tribble-ations" would be something.

Have them go back in time to that episode and have to avoid DS9 and TOS casts. Over time Star Trek can make this like when Fry was frozen in Futurama and they kept adding things that were in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I... don't hate that. Retcons are a silly thing for people too worried about Continuity and Canon, but that's a great way to just stick all of the silliness into one concept that you can reuse again and again.