Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Taintrunner posted:

the thing about contra and all the other “breadtubers” pissing and moaning at you to vote for Biden is that they enjoy a rather comfortable grift screeching into a webcam for a living while you and your family starve and have no future beyond periods of extended instability and hardship. they want Biden to win to defend the legitimacy of their class position as part of the leisure class in a brutally unjust and frankly unsustainable society racing towards full collapse.

revolution can wait, we’ve hooked these suckers into thinking we’re intellectual thought leaders with stupid skits and witty bantz, and can get them to pay us to layabout and play videogames off their hard earned dollars, so why risk things changing? that’s why they want Biden to win so bad. they’re doing just fine, and brutal neoliberal austerity doesn’t actually affect them. if anything, it’s good for their bottom line, as more and more people seek an understanding of why their lives are so miserable, only to be sheepdogged into voting for the same people that are making daily life so agonizing.

it’s just platos allegory of the cave all over again

This is an excellent post and I wanna nail it to virtualboy's loving door.

What is capitalism?
It's crab buckets all the way down...

Snype Edit: The breadtubers are about as effective and interested in ending capitalism as the dude selling the che-guevara shirts is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I did not vote for Biden this election, I can see there being some argument for voting for Dems, even if they are of the do nothing type, over opposing candidates like Donald Trump. The issue is that when liberals typically have this discussion, it is mostly in the context that ContraPoints puts out. That leftists who won't vote for Biden are just 22 year old extremely online incels. There are a fair amount of Americans on the Left who will not be voting for Biden, even more who are "apolitical". Not wanting to vote for Biden isn't just something idealistic baby leftists do. It's sad because ContraPoints does have good points in the video but they get mushed out due to her oversimplifying the critics arguments.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I did not vote for Biden this election, I can see there being some argument for voting for Dems, even if they are of the do nothing type, over opposing candidates like Donald Trump. The issue is that when liberals typically have this discussion, it is mostly in the context that ContraPoints puts out. That leftists who won't vote for Biden are just 22 year old extremely online incels. There are a fair amount of Americans on the Left who will not be voting for Biden, even more who are "apolitical". Not wanting to vote for Biden isn't just something idealistic baby leftists do. It's sad because ContraPoints does have good points in the video but they get mushed out due to her oversimplifying the critics arguments.

I find the value of these "arguments" to be extremely debatable, I've already pointed out a couple of reasons why a democratic president in the same situation would actually be worse for a lot of people (looking beyond the US here). Furthermore we'd instantaneously lose the somewhat antagonistic press coverage as things snap back to the new "normal" and we'd get Obama era-coverage that is completely in lock-step with the administration.

This includes the Corona response, which I will 100% assure you will not change under Biden.
On top of that we might get a new and exciting forever war to distract from the internal malaise and the fact that the Dems are also doing nothing about it.
Biden will also do nothing about policing, or the extremely lovely lot of black people in the US. In his own words he wrote the drat bill! Also his VP is a loving cop....

How is that better?

VomitOnLino has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Oct 28, 2020

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The thing that really struck me was when she said that if Biden wins outright and Trump refuses to leave, the military are just going to force him out. I seriously thought that would be followed by "nah just kidding". But nope, complete sincerity.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

qsvui posted:

The thing that really struck me was when she said that if Biden wins outright and Trump refuses to leave, the military are just going to force him out. I seriously thought that would be followed by "nah just kidding". But nope, complete sincerity.

The military doesn't like trump, so they would.

Biden means more war

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

qsvui posted:

yeah that seemed off to say the least

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

miniscule12 posted:

The military doesn't like trump, so they would.

Biden means more war

Yeah right now the federal govt is entirely occupied with purging preTrump personnel, purging "critical race theory", and purging "Chinese influence" lmao, nothing works right including the war machine

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

aw hell yeah, alt accounts in the Trustafarian Thread for Unaccomplished Masters and Fruitless Debates :blastu:

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
to all the people making GBS threads on philosophy tube, i’ll have you know that were it not for him i’d never have realized that steve bannon bad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly most of my problem with leftist youtube in general is the 'react' format- coming up with hours of content is for the most part the way to make money making youtube videos but it's such a meh kind of format- media discussing media doesn't really do much(figures like tim pool are much worse, of course) but i think it's why it's hard to watch the vaush and sam seder, serfs, etc. Media talking about media is incredibly uninteresting.

I find the contrapoints/philosophy tube format to be a bit better- well produced videos on certain subjects. I don't agree with all the takes, but they're much more watchable.

Yeah, obviously they think voting is better than not voting, but i don't really ascribe moral intent to tactical issues. I don't think one can meaningfully change the system by voting in the current presidential election but i also don't think your non-vote will make any kind of statement that isn't just personal grandstanding. If not voting was such a powerful statement, there would be much more noting of the US's low turnout.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Breadtube makes you stupid.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

the thing about contra and all the other “breadtubers” pissing and moaning at you to vote for Biden is that they enjoy a rather comfortable grift screeching into a webcam for a living while you and your family starve and have no future beyond periods of extended instability and hardship. they want Biden to win to defend the legitimacy of their class position as part of the leisure class in a brutally unjust and frankly unsustainable society racing towards full collapse.

revolution can wait, we’ve hooked these suckers into thinking we’re intellectual thought leaders with stupid skits and witty bantz, and can get them to pay us to layabout and play videogames off their hard earned dollars, so why risk things changing? that’s why they want Biden to win so bad. they’re doing just fine, and brutal neoliberal austerity doesn’t actually affect them. if anything, it’s good for their bottom line, as more and more people seek an understanding of why their lives are so miserable, only to be sheepdogged into voting for the same people that are making daily life so agonizing.

it’s just platos allegory of the cave all over again

I'm gonna touch the poop here: How is this argument any different from anytime one of the podcast faves (Insert here: Chapo, True Anon, Cum Town, etc etc) gets told off and at some point the argument usually involves "Why give your money to those people who just spout nonsense online when you could donate to (Gofundmes or whatever podcast I like more)" ?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunster posted:

I'm gonna touch the poop here: How is this argument any different from anytime one of the podcast faves (Insert here: Chapo, True Anon, Cum Town, etc etc) gets told off and at some point the argument usually involves "Why give your money to those people who just spout nonsense online when you could donate to (Gofundmes or whatever podcast I like more)" ?

podcasts are bad too

stop giving money to rich kids with the time to become new media darlings and start using your resources to build power in your own communities

but at least chapo etc have the dignity not to sheepdog you into voting for the boot on your neck, unlike citations needed which is crying “harm reduction”

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Oct 28, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

While they directly stated that no, they won't pass a moral judgement on you voting or not, they still did spend a while portraying Biden as the choice for the normie and how most of the arguments against him just don't work and well, making the Bidens' kind of endearing. Which is becoming a kind of contention figure between TA and CTH at least.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay then gently caress them then

I guess “normies” doesn’t include the millions of people slaughtered in Iraq was a result of the war Biden championed then, or the “normies” in Latin America who would suffer under the fascist coups Biden has backed and has pledged to continue to back if elected

weird how “normies” is comfortable middle class white Americans and everyone else can go piss off and get murdered

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was gonna say that... Yes. The concept of "a normal person" is kind of hosed up since you can just apply that to an "every man" that can be as uninformed and cruel and a reason why you shouldn't endorse whatever cause. And that can go both ways, with "Well too many people want UHC, so why should a left movement even want that, it would sound too wimpy" becoming a thing these days.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kunster posted:

I was gonna say that... Yes. The concept of "a normal person" is kind of hosed up since you can just apply that to an "every man" that can be as uninformed and cruel and a reason why you shouldn't endorse whatever cause. And that can go both ways, with "Well too many people want UHC, so why should a left movement even want that, it would sound too wimpy" becoming a thing these days.

this is my issue with “online” leftists and a good example of why leftist movements fail. leftist war with themselves instead working together (hence the “splitters” Life of Brian references earlier in the thread)

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

splitting in good, actually

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

this is my issue with “online” leftists and a good example of why leftist movements fail. leftist war with themselves instead working together (hence the “splitters” Life of Brian references earlier in the thread)

"leftists" working with warmongering liberal rapists like biden, instead of the leftists abroad in places like Latin America which biden actively supported fascist coups inand has pledged to support fascist coups in, are the people you should be actually mad at here.

but they're not white and they live far away so too bad so sad, it seems.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

"leftists" working with warmongering liberal rapists like biden, instead of the leftists abroad in places like Latin America which biden actively supported fascist coups inand has pledged to support fascist coups in, are the people you should be actually mad at here.

but they're not white and they live far away so too bad so sad, it seems.

why would it be better if trump were to win then?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

i love the notion that donald trump drone strikes and military action is non-lethal somehow because he manages to keep it off the news(more appropriately, the media doesn't care about donald trump's imperialist policies)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

will biden end or curtail the strikes?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Obama/Biden is 3 for 3 in successful fascist coups abroad.

Trump is 0-2.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

i love the notion that donald trump drone strikes and military action is non-lethal somehow because he manages to keep it off the news(more appropriately, the media doesn't care about donald trump's imperialist policies)

Biden supports that same imperialism and will be just as effective as it was under Obama. Just imagine, a dozen Bolsonaros ripping apart Latin America all for Wall Street's profit.

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Oct 28, 2020

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Trump is 0-2.

depending, could be 1 for 3 with America being a local coup

but I think that’s pretty much the best argument I’ve seen

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

depending, could be 1 for 3 with America being a local coup

but I think that’s pretty much the best argument I’ve seen

American elections are decided by electoral college. Hillary Clinton burned over a billion dollars running the worst campaign of all time and the responsibility was solely on her by running a campaign made up of upper middle class metropolitan professionals, solely for upper middle class mostly-white metropolitan professionals.

Trump's victory was no "coup" in any sense of the term.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaupo Guacho posted:

"fascism" doesn't mean whatever you don't like. the neocons were blood drenched psychopaths responsible for all kinds of misery but that doesn't mean they're fascist. fascism is a ultra nationalist mass movement based on things like spiritual renewal of a nation, the targeting of outgroup minorities and redressing feelings of national humiliation. Biden is a murderer for his Iraq war vote but hes not a fascist, hes just a rightwing lib.
The actual definition of fascism is imperial methods of control applied to the imperial center, to save capitalism from demands for equality and its own inherent instability.

Biden's biggest career accomplishments are the crime bill, whipping support for the Iraq War, and being the condom the finance industry puts on when it fucks us all in the rear end.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

American elections are decided by electoral college. Hillary Clinton burned over a billion dollars running the worst campaign of all time and the responsibility was solely on her by running a campaign made up of upper middle class metropolitan professionals, solely for upper middle class mostly-white metropolitan professionals.

Trump's victory was no "coup" in any sense of the term.

I don’t believe I mentioned 2016 but to be clear I do not believe the results of the 2016 election were a coup.

2020 could be depending on how things go between trump and SCOTUS

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Taintrunner posted:

Trump is 0-2.

I think if you think the CIA is a deep state organ, the success rate has more to do with the CIA than trump- as far as presidents are concerned, the attempts are more important than the success rate. If you think the failures are because trump demoralized the CIA or something like that, I think that's taking MSNBC at face value way too much. I think coup failures are a good thing, but i ascribe them more to much more effective and organized opposition within the countries themselves as well as the CIA's poor choice of partners and method rather than Trump. Where trump is worse, I think, is on sanctions which is something he does have control over, and sanctions are an incredibly brutal part of imperial policy by the US. For example, his strengthening of sanctions on Cuba and Iran is a bad thing.

That being said, Biden is probably not going to reduce the sanctions that trump brought into place.

What this means is that the US presidential election isn't a referendum on imperial policy, so I don't think it's that useful to discuss it in those terms. This is not an endorsement of voting one way or the other- i really don't know myself and count myself fortunate that I am disenfranchised by the US electoral college system. It also means I don't really care that much if youtubers think voting for biden is going to make things better, because i'm not sure about that, either.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don’t believe I mentioned 2016 but to be clear I do not believe the results of the 2016 election were a coup.

2020 could be depending on how things go between trump and SCOTUS

Oh but the Democrats already made it clear in 2000 that SCOTUS can decide the election.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

saying "if you think the CIA is a deep state organ" is like saying "if you think an apple is a fruit"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Panzeh posted:

It also means I don't really care that much if youtubers think voting for biden is going to make things better, because i'm not sure about that, either.

it’s going to make some things marginally to somewhat better for some people, and other things a lot worse for other people. it’s just that the people it will make things worse for are foreigners so they count for less in the “harm reduction” formula

e: it’s basically casting this tweet, unironically, as praxis

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/753942558112227328

indigi has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Oct 28, 2020

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

indigi posted:

it’s going to make some things marginally to somewhat better for some people, and other things a lot worse for other people. it’s just that the people it will make things worse for are foreigners so they count for less in the “harm reduction” formula

e: it’s basically casting this tweet, unironically, as praxis

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/753942558112227328

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1321457064946794497

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

it's been extremely clear from the attitudes of obama-era white house staff that the primary reason they oppose a trump presidency is because trump is worse at imperialism than they were
https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1318180765000060928

going off of obama's track record of awful foreign intervention as compared with trump, trump is clearly the "lesser evil" here that liberals keep bitching about

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The actual definition of fascism is imperial methods of control applied to the imperial center, to save capitalism from demands for equality and its own inherent instability.

Biden's biggest career accomplishments are the crime bill, whipping support for the Iraq War, and being the condom the finance industry puts on when it fucks us all in the rear end.

This is also correct, but Dimitrov completely nailed the definition of fascism:

quote:

"Fascism is not a form of state power "standing above both classes -- the proletariat and the bourgeoisie," as Otto Bauer, for instance, has asserted. It is not "the revolt of the petty bourgeoisie which has captured the machinery of the state," as the British Socialist Brailsford declares. No, fascism is not a power standing above class, nor government of the petty bourgeoisie or the lumpen-proletariat over finance capital. Fascism is the power of finance capital itself. It is the organization of terrorist vengeance against the working class and the revolutionary section of the peasantry and intelligentsia. In foreign policy, fascism is jingoism in its most brutal form, fomenting bestial hatred of other nations.... The development of fascism, and the fascist dictatorship itself, assume different forms in different countries, according to historical, social and economic conditions and to the national peculiarities, and the international position of the given country."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
edit: bad reply

ded redd has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Oct 28, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

bad optics on this reply

indigi has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Oct 28, 2020

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

bad optics on this reply

edit: nevermind, figured it out

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Thread title change not including the 'unironically' is wierd and significantly less funny than it would be including the 'unironically' do you not realise how nerdy that word is, mods lying to post worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

to all the people making GBS threads on philosophy tube, i’ll have you know that were it not for him i’d never have realized that steve bannon bad

I just like having basic concepts explained to me over the course of two hours by a nerd who was like "my aesthetic? I'm Doughy Lucifer, baby"