Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

IMO, it's not that he looks alien, it's that he looks like he belongs on a blacklight poster holding a joint saying "take me to your dealer."
You've articulated the jankiness of that costume better than anyone ever has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
When this guy from the Danny McBride planet showed up my wife said “oh I thought it said ‘POOP’ on his forehead”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Unmature posted:

When this guy from the Danny McBride planet showed up my wife said “oh I thought it said ‘POOP’ on his forehead”

I want your wife to write some Trek

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I've always loved the aliens that are just "humans with weird fashion choices" like the confedrate flag aliens from the gamma quadrant, or the poop forehead aliens above. The only makeup is just a painted design, implying that underneath it they're identical to us.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

curiousTerminal posted:

I've always loved the aliens that are just "humans with weird fashion choices" like the confedrate flag aliens from the gamma quadrant, or the poop forehead aliens above. The only makeup is just a painted design, implying that underneath it they're identical to us.

Well, remember that there's also a bunch of planets everywhere with literal humans on them. Originally they had that nonsense-even-for-Trek 'convergent evolution' explanation in TOS, then later it turned into 'ancient aliens did it' (including retcons for the 'convergent evolution' cases).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

Well, remember that there's also a bunch of planets everywhere with literal humans on them. Originally they had that nonsense-even-for-Trek 'convergent evolution' explanation in TOS, then later it turned into 'ancient aliens did it' (including retcons for the 'convergent evolution' cases).

And then there's the 'sometimes even whole planets convergently evolve!'

Which later trek didn't even bother trying to justify or retcon, it's one of those things you just shove down the back of the metaphorical couch

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That actually exists in real scientific hypotheses, if the universe is infinite then there are necessarily exact copies of Earth out there since there are only a finite number of ways matter can combine.

Of course we're talking spread out so much that finding another one is near impossible, not that there'd be another just hanging out a couple thousand light years away. But still.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

That actually exists in real scientific hypotheses, if the universe is infinite then there are necessarily exact copies of Earth out there since there are only a finite number of ways matter can combine.

Of course we're talking spread out so much that finding another one is near impossible, not that there'd be another just hanging out a couple thousand light years away. But still.

Wasn't that literally the hook Battlestar Galactica hung its "lol God did it!" ending hat on?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Timby posted:

Correct. Voyager had stumbled badly in the ratings and the UPN execs said two things: Use the Borg (because First Contact had become, at the time, the highest-grossing Trek movie) and amp up the sex appeal, hence Seven's awful catsuits.

Jennifer Lien had also developed a substance abuse issue at that time, so it was relatively easy for her to be dismissed from her contract.

Wasn't that catsuit also two sizes too small and painful for her to wear?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Wasn't that literally the hook Battlestar Galactica hung its "lol God did it!" ending hat on?

Nah. The ending of Galactica they just found a new planet and went gently caress IT WE WERE HUNTING FOR EARTH FOR YEARS SO WE'RE JUST CALLING THIS ONE EARTH.

If you go back to when they find the bombed-out original Earth earlier in the show you notice it very deliberately never shows you the planet's features.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

Wasn't that catsuit also two sizes too small and painful for her to wear?

Yes. She had to be laced into an actual corset to fit into it and it hosed up her back so badly she would leave the set in tears from the pain and had to go to a chiropractor for years afterward. The early TNG uniforms were also far too tight to wear and Patrick Stewart also hosed up his back super bad wearing them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Nah. The ending of Galactica they just found a new planet and went gently caress IT WE WERE HUNTING FOR EARTH FOR YEARS SO WE'RE JUST CALLING THIS ONE EARTH.

If you go back to when they find the bombed-out original Earth earlier in the show you notice it very deliberately never shows you the planet's features.

No I mean they found primitive humans on "Earth" at the end of the series who were 99.9% genetically identical to the Colonials, and Adama and Baltar literally go "This is scientifically impossible" / "Yeah, well, maybe God. What about THAT, huh?"

Also the Cylon Earth they make it to first was left purposefully ambiguous because there was a strong chance that the show wouldn't actually be coming back from hiatus after that long slow pan of everyone in the wreckage of what was clearly supposed to be New York City so it was framed as a potential endpoint for the show if it needed to be, and the back half of the season was basically a gift from the TV gods.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grand Fromage posted:

This isn't true.

It is true (by Kolmogorov's zero-one law) if you're assuming that you can break up the universe into sections (however large) that are independent and random from each other, but just being infinite doesn't mean that every possible combination will occur. eg. 0.1011011101111 (ie 1 1, a zero, 2 1's, a zero, 3 1's, etc) is infinite and non-repeating, but there are never any 2's.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 4, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

No I mean they found primitive humans on "Earth" at the end of the series who were 99.9% genetically identical to the Colonials, and Adama and Baltar literally go "This is scientifically impossible" / "Yeah, well, maybe God. What about THAT, huh?"

Also the Cylon Earth they make it to first was left purposefully ambiguous because there was a strong chance that the show wouldn't actually be coming back from hiatus after that long slow pan of everyone in the wreckage of what was clearly supposed to be New York City so it was framed as a potential endpoint for the show if it needed to be, and the back half of the season was basically a gift from the TV gods.

The problem with Galactica is that the existence of God as a real being that is manipulating events is established right at the start, but then the New Caprica arc basically forgets about that and it's not a persistent theme, so when it starts to ramp up at the end it feels off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This isn't true.

It is true (by Kolmogorov's zero-one law) if you're assuming that you can break up the universe into sections (however large) that are independent and random from each other, but just being infinite doesn't mean that every possible combination will occur. eg. 0.1011011101111 (ie 1 1, a zero, 2 1's, a zero, 3 1's, etc) is infinite and non-repeating, but there are never any 2's.

That's true, but the probability that a combination that is already able to occur in one place will recur in another very nearly one in an infinite universe, is it not? (And by very nearly I mean the probably it won't is infinitesimal?l

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's not like the infinity of the universe is a given, last I heard a finite universe was the more popular theory, even.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

That's true, but the probability that a combination that is already able to occur in one place will recur in another very nearly one in an infinite universe, is it not? (And by very nearly I mean the probably it won't is infinitesimal?l

If you can meet certain conditions it's going to be 1, if you can't then it's somewhere in [0, 1). It's not really a serious point of discussion, however. And certainly the probability of there being another Earth in our galaxy is vanishingly small.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How close is an identical Earth? Like all of history had to play out the same way as well, with the same actions by man and beast alike for millions of years prior to the moment of discovery? Or is it just like "if you were from Earth and you ended up here, you'd be all 'hey this is almost exactly like earth, coulda fooled me'"?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think the obvious angle for identical Earths is to actually have them be psychic projections by the planet's inhabitants, with Bradburian 'early Martian astronauts find an American small town on the surface and things get all surreal' vibes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

those aliens that tinkered with people's DNA and made them have a common original also had some 'default' settings for planetary development

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Roadie posted:

I think the obvious angle for identical Earths is to actually have them be psychic projections by the planet's inhabitants, with Bradburian 'early Martian astronauts find an American small town on the surface and things get all surreal' vibes.

Identical except you're super cool

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

How close is an identical Earth? Like all of history had to play out the same way as well, with the same actions by man and beast alike for millions of years prior to the moment of discovery? Or is it just like "if you were from Earth and you ended up here, you'd be all 'hey this is almost exactly like earth, coulda fooled me'"?

So close that when you arrive at the other Earth a billion years later, you learn that someone who looked like you and had the same name as you went off in search of another Earth a billion years ago and you're not sure if you've found a parallel Earth or if you've gone in a circle for a billion years.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 4, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Like all things the novels had an explanation for the copies of Earth: The preservers did it.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

Like all things the novels had an explanation for the copies of Earth: The preservers did it.
Well, that's one version from the novels. In the Shatnerverse books it becomes a major plot point that the Preservers have remained active to the present day and have been manufacturing entire duplicate planets for the purpose of running experiments on their populations. Along with multiple Earths there are a bunch of duplicate Vulcans, Qo'noses, and few more Andorias, though knowledge of most of these worlds has been classified by Starfleet Command.

Christopher Bennett's DTI novels take a much different tack. In the one about the DTI during Kirk's era he depicts Miri's Earth as being the Earth from another universe. Something wonky about that sector of space that causes that alternate Solar System to blorp between universes every few decades, and it ended up disappearing from the Prime Timeline about a decade after Kirk visited. The book also takes a look at the alternate humanless universe of that world, and the Vulcans have amalgamated with the Romulans while the Andorians have turned to the Klingons for aid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of TOS, I finished it

Turnabout Intruder- Definitely not a good way for a show like this to go out. It's a lot different from the finales of all the other shows since TV was much different in the '60s, where it isn't a true finale. I'm continually amazed how many times Spock manages to end up in a court martial, but he manages to do it for the final episode of the series when not-Kirk demands one. Obviously this episode is extremely sexist and that takes a lot away from the plot for sure, but the performances are mostly good throughout the episode. This falls into the trap of a lot of other Season 3 TOS episodes where there is a lot of buildup to the finale but because they run out of time, the problem gets resolved easily. Case in point- like 2/3 of the way through the episode it turns out that the 'transference' will begin to wear off if the 2nd person is still alive. Which is ultimately how the episode gets resolved, because Lester in Kirk's body gets kicked back to her original body after it turns out that Kirk in Lester's body survived too long. Which is convenient because it meant that the ship didn't have to go back to the planet with the transference machine to resolve things in the end. Honestly this episode is bad for both women and depiction of mental illness since Janice Lester is clearly meant to be unwell.

I would like to end my watchthrough of TOS with a very funny Memory Alpha 'fact' for this episode that is completely unnecessary

quote:

The very last Enterprise crew member to be seen in the original series is Scotty. As he, Kirk, and Spock enter the turbo-elevator at the end of Act IV, a glimpse of his forearm, grasping the control handle, is visible before the doors close.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

quote:

The very last Enterprise crew member to be seen in the original series is Scotty. As he, Kirk, and Spock enter the turbo-elevator at the end of Act IV, a glimpse of his forearm, grasping the control handle, is visible before the doors close.

I didn't know Cliff Clavin contributed to Memory Alpha, but it kinda makes sense.

To me, the final episode of TOS is All Our Yesterdays, one of the better episodes of the season. Turnabout Intruder is a horrible end to a series.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 5, 2020

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Theres always Star Trek Continues. The few episodes I stumbled across at cons were pretty good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mythicknight posted:

Theres always Star Trek Continues. The few episodes I stumbled across at cons were pretty good.

Is that the one run by the pedophile rapist anime voice actor guy?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Yeah, Star Trek Continues was actually very good imo.

Obligatory "maybe check out what's up with Vic Mignogna before fanboying him" but I loved watching Continues.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Turnabout Intruder is definitely one of those episodes that hindsight and changing attitudes have not been kind to. Do we know what people thought about it when it first came out?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I hope someone can find it in the thread, but there was a different interpretation of the line about "there's no room in your world for women in the captain's chair" that's more about her commenting on Kirk's disinterest in pursuing romance and being in love with the Enterprise than it is about any specific Starfleet policy disallowing women captains.

There's a solid episode in Continues about Starfleet's first woman captain being appointed though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nearly done with ST:ENT

I really liked how the Mirror episode had well, a mirror opening. I'm wasn't crazy about ENT's opener, but the fact that it works so well for a mirror version is kinda redeeming. I didn't really like that it kinda went nowhere? Like I was expecting the typical crossover, rather then some self-contained mirror story that ended on a cliffhanger. (A victim of Enterprise being cut short, I presume.)

Also feels funny having a non-mirror TOS era ship be like, this big bad weapon that outclasses all the stuff a war-focused earth came up with? Granted, it's a 100 year difference, but I never got the vibe that the TOS ships were particularly well armed?

I do love that all the goofyness of a TOS-era ship is just kinda there, and they don't really dwell on it or play it up beyond having Mirror-Archer laugh about the uniforms.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

MillennialVulcan posted:

I hope someone can find it in the thread, but there was a different interpretation of the line about "there's no room in your world for women in the captain's chair" that's more about her commenting on Kirk's disinterest in pursuing romance and being in love with the Enterprise than it is about any specific Starfleet policy disallowing women captains.

I remember reading this and don't believe how this could actually be anything but a revisionist interpretation when the rest of the episode is screaming the contrary

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Infinite Similarity In Finite Combinations

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Identical except you're super cool

Oh good, I'm already there. :smug:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Oxyclean posted:

Also feels funny having a non-mirror TOS era ship be like, this big bad weapon that outclasses all the stuff a war-focused earth came up with? Granted, it's a 100 year difference, but I never got the vibe that the TOS ships were particularly well armed?

The original Enterprise threatened to glass a planet in "A Taste of Armageddon" - the Constitution class was generally presented as more than a match for anything it went up against.

(And the Terrans seem to be looters more than inventors; they built their empire on stolen Vulcan tech, started running into trouble until they got the Defiant, then coasted on that until the inevitable collapse.

And then Mirror O'Brien stole the DS9's Defiant's specs and built one of them.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

The original Enterprise threatened to glass a planet in "A Taste of Armageddon" - the Constitution class was generally presented as more than a match for anything it went up against.

(And the Terrans seem to be looters more than inventors; they built their empire on stolen Vulcan tech, started running into trouble until they got the Defiant, then coasted on that until the inevitable collapse.

And then Mirror O'Brien stole the DS9's Defiant's specs and built one of them.)

Oh poo poo I just realised Ent managed to make a joke about the Mirror universe stealing Defiants

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I have a question that’s been haunting me in my nearly 20 years of browsing/shitposting on this forum that I’m wondering if you learned SA Star Trek goons might be able to answer.

Is the :wtc: guy just a really hosed up picture of Riker? Because it looks like a really hosed up picture of Riker. What is the story here?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

So I have a question that’s been haunting me in my nearly 20 years of browsing/shitposting on this forum that I’m wondering if you learned SA Star Trek goons might be able to answer.

Is the :wtc: guy just a really hosed up picture of Riker? Because it looks like a really hosed up picture of Riker. What is the story here?

It’s been years and I’m pretty sure there’s an SAclopedia article on it that I can’t view on mobile, but yeah. It’s a squashed and hosed up pic of Riker that some goon used to use as an av and that’s what inspired the smilie.

I think the custom title under the original av was “world’s greatest grandpa” or something like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been years and I’m pretty sure there’s an SAclopedia article on it that I can’t view on mobile, but yeah. It’s a squashed and hosed up pic of Riker that some goon used to use as an av and that’s what inspired the smilie.

I think the custom title under the original av was “world’s greatest grandpa” or something like that.

Thank you kindly. This has been bugging me for like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Point of clarification, that emote is so named after the goon who bore that avatar, forums user What The Christ.