Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's why we should run leftists over libs.

People who vote Republican know they will never own the lefties. We don't give A gently caress what they think. In fact voting for us actually helps own the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah none of that is news, that is what they have said for years but it's not useful for understanding why.

You're answering the superficial question but not the one that's being asked.

no, you're making a superficial question deeper than it is because 'people vote based on spite and often a very loose understanding of what's actually happening' is the answer, for all of these 'why do (x) vote for trump???' things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BonoMan posted:

In the RadioLab episode I was referencing from yesterday (Bloc Party - it's good listen to it), it gets even wilder.

There's a sect of Iraqis called the Chaldean's that have a long history of working in the Ford plants in MI.

They also have traditionally been voting with the Catholic bloc and therefore Republicans because, mainly of the Abortion single issue.

Well then ICE, under Trump, actually raided a bunch of them and detained them because a lot of them are not citizens (but it was like a compromise where they agreed only to round up 200 or so).

A lot of them found this deplorable of course, but they were interviewing one guy IN HIDING essentially who still said he'd vote for Trump simply because of abortion. His pain and suffering and potential death didn't matter. Simply that Republicans stay in power to overturn abortion.

This loving abortion issue is wild. I wonder how many people would swing over to soft D if you took abortion off the table? I used to take my ex to planned parent hood for birth control and the people outside of there protesting just pissed me off so much because I KNEW they didn't one poo poo about the child once it was born.

Honestly I look forward to the day we can figure out a way for society to get to the point where both parties to a pregnancy have to take conscious action to make it possible. Like both man and woman must wear a patch or something. Sell the patches in vending machines for all I care. But just some way that the only people having babies are people where both parties wanted the baby.

Kale posted:

Grabbing that one from 538/ABC News but if the SOS said it's 330,000 then it's gotta be that obviously.
Oh I don't if SOS is saying that. I've just been following NBC. Let me look at 538 as well then.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
They will probably be able to know if Arizona can be called after the first dump of ballots tonight.

Trump needs a really compelling surge from the mail in ballots to have a chance.

People are concerned because they are from counties that have historically voted Republican, and these are the "late arriving" ballots that got in the week of the election which may be more Republican than the earlier arriving mail in ballots.

Those counties have been won (so far) by Biden this year, it seems unlikely the ballots will be enough in Trump's favor to swing the state.. I think Fox news is right to be confident.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Fox News has Biden at 264 with Nevada not yet called, and Biden up 7,500 with 75% of the vote in. If we knew more about what votes were outstanding, they could call this.

Fox News could be the one to call it first :getin:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324108200141082624?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324108206801563650?s=20

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So my question is, if I wanted more Bernie next election, who should I vote for?

I want this country to move way the gently caress more left.

Like, way left.

aoc is the only realistic option but whether she even runs is likely 100% dependent on if biden decides to go for a second term. if he does i doubt he gets a primary challenger unless he is absolutely, unbelievably, unprecedentedly unpopular, which to be fair is totally within the realm of possibility.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BonoMan posted:

Dems have got to get on with their messaging that abortions FALL under societies with proper healthcare and equal and just societies. Instead of just saying we're "pro choice" it's got to be "we're not only pro-choice, but our policies help LOWER the abortion rate in this country vs Republicans."

Hell I think there's a graphic out there showing this (that it's less under D presidents?)

Yeah I've been saying this for years. We've tried the "woman's right to choose" argument, everybody who agrees with that is already on board.

The people who oppose choice don't give a poo poo about women and only care about the moral issue of potential babies.

We have to argue that more abortions would happen, and they would be worse, and more human life would be lost. Same thing with the war on drugs; it results in exactly the opposite of what its supposed to. Ending it will actually achieve fewer drug addictions, which is what the right claims to want.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BonoMan posted:

In the RadioLab episode I was referencing from yesterday (Bloc Party - it's good listen to it), it gets even wilder.

There's a sect of Iraqis called the Chaldean's that have a long history of working in the Ford plants in MI.

They also have traditionally been voting with the Catholic bloc and therefore Republicans because, mainly of the Abortion single issue.

Well then ICE, under Trump, actually raided a bunch of them and detained them because a lot of them are not citizens (but it was like a compromise where they agreed only to round up 200 or so).

A lot of them found this deplorable of course, but they were interviewing one guy IN HIDING essentially who still said he'd vote for Trump simply because of abortion. His pain and suffering and potential death didn't matter. Simply that Republicans stay in power to overturn abortion.

Yeah, in my own experience it boils down to: he's their guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Brit in Canada checking in to see how it's going.

What's the state of things currently, in like, 3 sentences? Sorry if this is tedious.

Biden likely to win but everyone's worried about last minute upsets, senate stays R, house stays D.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

It's cute that Republican operatives still think anybody gives a poo poo about their "oh gosh, trump is not being Presidential, disappointing" takes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

berserker posted:

The next dump of AZ votes is in 4 hours.

From what I understand Arizona is in the Trump expected to close the gap but not enough category and Nevada is in the likely for Biden to build/hold lead one. It's weird despite leading by only 8K in Nevada compared to 100K in Arizona or so I consider Nevada slightly less worrisome than Arizona given Nevada would be a Trump flip and Arizona would be a Biden flip I never really factored in before the election. Guess I'm really not used to the idea of states flipping that easily.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So my question is, if I wanted more Bernie next election, who should I vote for?

Like, way left.

We don't know yet because we don't know who's running. Bernie probably won't. Vote the furthest left you can in the primaries and hopefully the get in on the general. If they don't, vote for the furthest left in that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I've been saying this for years. We've tried the "woman's right to choose" argument, everybody who agrees with that is already on board.

The people who oppose choice don't give a poo poo about women and only care about the moral issue of potential babies.

We have to argue that more abortions would happen, and they would be worse, and more human life would be lost. Same thing with the war on drugs; it results in exactly the opposite of what its supposed to. Ending it will actually achieve fewer drug addictions, which is what the right claims to want.

We have to find a way to make them forget about the issue and redirect to some other trigger.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Like, way left.

Keep supporting progressive causes however you can.

One big problem that happened after Obama was elected was many people patted themselves on the back and then kinda forgot about politics. Obama meanwhile proceeded to do very few actually progressive things.

Biden's feet need to be held to the fire by his supporters and pressure needs to be exerted to keep pushing him (and the party) in a more progressive direction. I dunno how that's best done

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BonoMan posted:

So they overturn abortion due to Supreme Court fuckery. Then what's the excuse to keep voting Republican? To make sure it stays that way?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

generic one posted:

I’m just saying take a loving moment to enjoy it.

Enjoy what? That the corpse loving us in the rear end will have a blue tie now?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

IT BURNS posted:

Seriously. 2000 stretched to past Thanksgiving, IIRC. An oil change place down the street from where I lived had "All oil changes %25 off until they pick a president" on their marquee...pretty sure they lost a lot of money on that.

Car places, whether dealerships or repair shops or rental places or other, never lose money on a per-transaction basis. They also have ways, often of making up for any lost margins in deals like this.

I'm even more cynical about cars than pharma because I worked for a dealer group for 2 years and know a few people in various parts of the industry pretty well. It's as dumb, greedy and hosed up as you'd expect big oil's satellite mandatory-transport vertical to be :allears:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants a few chuckles.... "THE FIVE" are sounding very angry/nervous over on Fox News.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Halloween Jack posted:

Mormons actually believe in a lot of the social conservative stuff that other Republicans, including Southern Baptist evangelicals, only pretend to give a drat about. The LDS church was remarkably anti-Trump and it didn't make a difference.

The LDS church was anti-Trump for like a week. Their tabernacle choir played his inauguration ceremony.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

no, you're making a superficial question deeper than it is because 'people vote based on spite and often a very loose understanding of what's actually happening' is the answer, for all of these 'why do (x) vote for trump???' things.

I know two people in my life that I would consider highly intelligent and pretty decently educated. One being my father and another one that I and another goon know. And even though both these people are smart, capable of critical thinking, etc somehow the republican messaging has gotten to them and effectively brainwashed them in a way.

With my father its listening to WSB radio (chud station in Atlanta) all day and watching Fox Business news as a compromise from watching Fox News all the time. Sometimes for 6+ hours a day he's bombarded with this stuff. The sad part is I think my father might be partially responsible for converting my friend over to chud years ago as my friend's family were both teachers and were pretty solidly dems for what I know. But pops and my friend would spend hours out in the garage smoking cigarettes and talking about what they heard on the news and next thing I know my friend has adopted a country rear end accent instead of the neutral suburbs accent he had from growing up and... shits wild is all I can say.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Silly Burrito posted:

So they overturn abortion due to Supreme Court fuckery. Then what's the excuse to keep voting Republican? To make sure it stays that way?

Yes. Also gays etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Push El Burrito posted:

We don't know yet because we don't know who's running. Bernie probably won't. Vote the furthest left you can in the primaries and hopefully the get in on the general. If they don't, vote for the furthest left in that.

bernie absolutely will not run in 2024, he's way too old. and frankly after his strategic errors in this year's primaries i would not want him to. aoc is the only left dem with the clout to mount a realistic challenge in 2024.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

I... DECLARE... BANKRUPCY

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We have to find a way to make them forget about the issue and redirect to some other trigger.

They are never going to forget about the issue. But we can show how their issue improves when aligned with our values (universal healthcare, better healthcare outreach to lower income individuals, helping lift people out of poverty, etc) vs being stuck on trying to ban it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

In that bizarro-world would Trump be over the top already?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

Fox News has Biden at 264 with Nevada not yet called, and Biden up 7,500 with 75% of the vote in. If we knew more about what votes were outstanding, they could call this.

I read it's mainly Clark and Washoe County that went Democratic last cycle. Especially Clark.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1324112093545639941

Biden's on pace to win PA. Here's hoping it keeps up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Yes. It'll be "the Democrats want to bring abortion back" with a side order of "And now we can gently caress the gays/trans/immigrants further."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Huh.

So Trump claimed to have won PA, GA and NC for "electoral purposes".

I'm glad he clarified that because otherwise that'd be really weird.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

WhatEvil posted:

Brit in Canada checking in to see how it's going.

What's the state of things currently, in like, 3 sentences? Sorry if this is tedious.

Zaphod42 posted:

“The first (Republican official) said, ‘(Trump) is behaving as expected, badly.’ The second person said that ‘Trump is afraid of mail-in ballots’ and the third person said that what he said last night was, quote, ‘indefensible.'”

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1324112093545639941

Biden's on pace to win PA. Here's hoping it keeps up.

But trump already claimed it?!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah for sure dude. Also I asked them if they think they're racist and they say no, so actually it turns out modern conservatives aren't racists.

We should definitely stop at superficial answers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That would be even better, but good luck.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Slowpoke! posted:

I am hoping NV drops before AZ so that Fox gets the honors of saying "Joe Biden will be the next president"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh.

So Trump claimed to have won PA, GA and NC for "electoral purposes".

I'm glad he clarified that because otherwise that'd be really weird.

I for one was getting ready to move to Trumpistan.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
he has claimed the state. now he must prove if he can hold the state.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wanna see the betting numbers on whether Biden will be the 46th or 47th President

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt it's possible.

There is pretty much nothing that hits in the gut as hard as abortion. I can't even begin to imagine what would come close. It is like the undisputed king of "This sounds really bad to my gut" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

bernie absolutely will not run in 2024, he's way too old. and frankly after his strategic errors in this year's primaries i would not want him to. aoc is the only left dem with the clout to mount a realistic challenge in 2024.

AOC will never be president until the last boomer is dead.