Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

to this day i have no loving idea what a nest does better than any other programmable thermostat, and the "learning" claims never made sense. i'll just program the goddamn thing to turn on when i'm home and off when i'm at work.

one thing it will do is program itself automatically based on your usage if you arent the kind of person to program a thermostat (iow literally everyone except the people in this forum) granted this is a lot less useful post pandemic also if you are the kind of person who programs a thermostat then you will not like it changing your programming all the time

another is that there are two sets of boundaries for use one normal and the other for efficiency so in more pleasant weather you can simply swap modes to leaf and not have to fiddle with the thermostat at all

ofc it also does all the other stuff youd expect a modern thermostat to do like work based on voice controls and respond to vocal queries as to the temperature

one claim ive never understood is presence detection. i cant imagine why id want it to try since there are plenty of times (like when people are sleeping) that no one would trigger presence detection and those are specifically the times i wouldnt want temperature changes. it helps that my house is seldom unoccupied and that my wife and i work opposite schedules but i cant see a use case for it at all for anyone

The Management posted:

a thermostat designed like a big temperature adjustment dial whose primary feature is that it sets the temperature for you automatically. Google.

yes? i mean you can poo poo on google for a lot of things but the design does predate them buying nest and the design is good and intuitive. any idiot knows exactly how it works just by looking at it and in terms of hardware it feels incredibly satisfying to use physically. id put it right up there with a macbook trackpad for tactile feel and precision (though i doubt id say that about this new one that uses a touch sensor rather than physical rotation and plastic rather than metal). even though it does do most stuff automatically i still find myself bumping it a couple degrees one way or the other throughout the day and how easy it is to do that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I leave my house blower running 24/7 365 bitch I buy filters BULK

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nest took off because it looked nice and people with $4 million palo alto bungalows hated having to look at taupe plastic wall boxes

all the smart features and everything were secondary, it was the first non-ugly thermostat

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

nest took off because it looked nice and people with $4 million palo alto bungalows hated having to look at taupe plastic wall boxes

all the smart features and everything were secondary, it was the first non-ugly thermostat

afaict its still the only non ugly thermostat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LastInLine posted:

afaict its still the only non ugly thermostat

ecobees dont look too bad imo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The auto-away stuff doesn't activate at night, iirc? Otherwise that'd be stupid. But it does activate during the day if nobody walks in front of the thermostat for a while.

Real pleasant when it decides to do that in a hot summer day and it immediately starts rising above 80F+.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

nest literally exists because Tony Fadell wanted his Tahoe cabin to be warm when he arrived there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

nest literally exists because Tony Fadell wanted his Tahoe cabin to be warm when he arrived there.

and they say rich people don't give the world anything

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a carrier thermostat and it's fuckin' ugly as poo poo and it took me awhile to learn exactly how it actually works and I tell people "dont touch the thermostat, it's on a schedule, let me override it for you"

I feel that I've invested so much time into learning it that I don't want to throw that away by getting something easier. And it stops people from messing with the thermostat.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

security through obscurity

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

LastInLine posted:

one claim ive never understood is presence detection. i cant imagine why id want it to try since there are plenty of times (like when people are sleeping) that no one would trigger presence detection and those are specifically the times i wouldnt want temperature changes. it helps that my house is seldom unoccupied and that my wife and i work opposite schedules but i cant see a use case for it at all for anyone

it will do it with geofencing and the app on your phone, more reliable than the motion sensor especially if its in a place you don't walk by frequently. can also couple with the motion sensors in their fire alarms to use those as more datapoints

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

The auto-away stuff doesn't activate at night, iirc? Otherwise that'd be stupid. But it does activate during the day if nobody walks in front of the thermostat for a while.

Real pleasant when it decides to do that in a hot summer day and it immediately starts rising above 80F+.

i work at night and sleep during the day so iow its exactly the opposite of what i need

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it will do it with geofencing and the app on your phone, more reliable than the motion sensor especially if its in a place you don't walk by frequently. can also couple with the motion sensors in their fire alarms to use those as more datapoints

obviously using a phone is the best kind of presence detection but then you dont need it on the thermostat itself which i know it at least used to do in some form. like Zamujasa mentions above ive seen it do it if you choose not to walk in front of it for long enough. that mightve all been changed with the recent switch to google assistant presence detection and the shutdown of works with nest presence detection which always sucked

mediaphage posted:

ecobees dont look too bad imo

lol no they look terrible its a dumb misshapen black blob and the nicest thing you can say is that the temperature font is unoffensive but the iconography and touch controls look like something out of a toyota

that said its certainly a better smart thermostat than the nest in every way except aesthetically

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
your overpriced thermostat is a piece of poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

lol no they look terrible its a dumb misshapen black blob and the nicest thing you can say is that the temperature font is unoffensive but the iconography and touch controls look like something out of a toyota

that said its certainly a better smart thermostat than the nest in every way except aesthetically

ok but the comparison wasn't the nest so much as every other thermostat out there which are uniformly terrible looking for the most part

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

ok but the comparison wasn't the nest so much as every other thermostat out there which are uniformly terrible looking for the most part

i mean its just objectively ugly but on the advice of this post i went and looked at what other thermostats look like and okay you might have a point there

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bunch of thermostat gazers in this thread

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Imagine paying a kilodollar+ for a phone which not only has phone app ads but also slaps them on exported photos.

Android, :lol:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

what the gently caress is going on with that photo, it seemingly added jpeg artifacting in some parts of the image.

is this what the an droid ai camera does now?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Anne Frank Funk posted:

what the gently caress is going on with that photo, it seemingly added jpeg artifacting in some parts of the image.

is this what the an droid ai camera does now?

The bolter has had the eagle scraped off it too, I think?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

anyway, you can turn that advertising off in settings (anything that needs to be changed in the settings is out of reach of 99% of users)

iphone is still king with the sent from an iphone email sig

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Anne Frank Funk posted:

anyway, you can turn that advertising off in settings (anything that needs to be changed in the settings is out of reach of 99% of users)

iphone is still king with the sent from an iphone email sig

didn’t blackberry do that first

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
jfc samsung

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

starbucks hermit posted:

I have a carrier thermostat and it's fuckin' ugly as poo poo and it took me awhile to learn exactly how it actually works and I tell people "dont touch the thermostat, it's on a schedule, let me override it for you"

I feel that I've invested so much time into learning it that I don't want to throw that away by getting something easier. And it stops people from messing with the thermostat.

I tried to replace the carrier thermostat in my new place and when I took it off the wall I found out it used non standard wiring to communicate with a control box attached to the hvac unit

that control box logically ties the thermostat to the normal wiring

just utterly pointless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google decided they didn't have enough chat apps and turned the google pay app into a chat app

https://twitter.com/DurvidImel/status/1329158995391737856?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

google decided they didn't have enough chat apps and turned the google pay app into a chat app

https://twitter.com/DurvidImel/status/1329158995391737856?s=20

i mean if you think about it google search is really just a chat app between you and a bunch of seo bots.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSrXBmjVXI

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Imagine paying a kilodollar+ for a phone which not only has phone app ads but also slaps them on exported photos.

Android, :lol:

i think that’s a sub $200 phone so only the poors get camera ads i guess

coke
Jul 12, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

i think that’s a sub $200 phone so only the poors get camera ads i guess

it's actually just an app you can get for your phone

coke fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 24, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wsl and android, or how microsoft found a way to make even worse apps run on windows

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

hey, there's totally worthwhile apps to make work on windows, like

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
apple: hey you can run ios apps on our new macs

users: oh poo poo now nobody will write mac apps

microsoft: oh poo poo we need to become android

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The best developers write their apps in Electron, then it can run anywhere.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, as wsl was originally project astoria, android compatibility for windows phone 10, and only got dumped out as generic linux compatibility on windows 10 when that project was cancelled, this is nice and circular.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I thought WSL2 was cool & good, though?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I thought WSL2 was cool & good, though?

i certainly think so. strategically for microsoft it seems pretty all over the place to run random other platforms applications, but for user convenience wsl2 linux is great, and i suspect a lot of people will find some use running one weird android app or other as well.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be good if it means winphone could come back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah. it actually might be a bit of a reaction to their catastrophic foray into (barely) running actual android on whatever their foldable was called.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah. it actually might be a bit of a reaction to their catastrophic foray into (barely) running actual android on whatever their foldable was called.

imo the biggest problem with the surface duo is that it’s a pda and not a phone and they were unwilling to market it like that. for that matter i dunno if there’s a market for that these days since people can just buy tablets.

tbh i kind of want one but lol $

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
except according to all the reviews it's also just awful at being a tablet/pda too. like, nothing about it runs well or is properly designed for the form factor, and then you have the usual android jank under that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
YOSPOS › Andoird: nothing about it runs well or is properly designed for the form factor, and then you have the usual android jank under that