Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Number_6 posted:

bombastic scoring

This is actually one of the main things that turns me off of TOS (and a bunch of old movies and TV in general). The music in old stuff is so out front and constant, even during dialoge-heavy scenes that it just ends up distracting my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure slow is the right word, but even a good TOS episode is 30-35 minutes of story squeezed into a mere 50 minute runtime.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

My first exposure to Trek was when it was in syndication and it was competing with first run Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica, and even to my very young eyes Trek was more compelling, although not more visually exciting.

lol you old

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think it's a bit unfair to say that TOS or other contemporary shows were necessarily padded out to fill the timeslot. (although i've definitely had that impression the few times i've sat down to watch an old Dr. Who story, lol) My understanding is that part of it comes from storytelling conventions simply being different and the audience back then expecting a bit more explanation for how they got from point A to point B.

I also feel like modern Trek could do with a little more fuckin' downtime. Like, we sometimes got to see Kirk and McCoy having a drink, or the TNG crew playing poker. Let us get to know the characters beyond whatever crisis they're wrapped up in. Not every moment needs to be advancing ~the plot arc~ .

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised how many episodes were just ‘an alternate Earth’

That was literally part of the sales pitch for the show, to try and get around skepticism from network execs that a space sci-fi show could be made on a television budget.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure slow is the right word, but even a good TOS episode is 30-35 minutes of story squeezed into a mere 50 minute runtime.
This becomes very clear in Season 3

There are very thin plots stretched out to 50 mins that could have been resolved in half the time

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I have been mainlining Trek for 25 years and I still haven't been able to make myself sit down and watch all of TOS.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Number_6 posted:

TOS has plenty of faults, but I'm kind of surprised to hear that people consider it "slow" or dull. (Certain episodes excepted.) Even when nothing much is happening, it's full of bombastic scoring, bright colors, snappy dialogue, and strongly defined characters. And plenty of redshirt deaths.

The bombastic scoring and bright colors kinda make it worse, tbh? There's a sequence where you look at the viewscreen for half a minute, and then closeup shots of every character on the bridge reacting like it's a fire emblem game, all while the orchestra goes loving apeshit bananas offscreen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Modern audiences are desensitized to action and drama, which can make the slow-burn shows of the 60s seem so slow.

It is pretty great for when you're working on some other things and need something in the background to keep you entertained but not distract from the task. Being music-heavy means that your brain won't distract itself by conjuring earworms.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/1330393659666173954?s=20

It's super weird seeing them smiling while also wearing Voyager uniforms.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

8one6 posted:

https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/1330393659666173954?s=20

It's super weird seeing them smiling while also wearing Voyager uniforms.

So weird to see anyone from Voyager look like they are really having fun.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

curiousTerminal posted:

The bombastic scoring and bright colors kinda make it worse, tbh? There's a sequence where you look at the viewscreen for half a minute, and then closeup shots of every character on the bridge reacting like it's a fire emblem game, all while the orchestra goes loving apeshit bananas offscreen.

how do you feel about sonic wallpaper

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

curiousTerminal posted:

The bright colors were pretty much to sell color TV. 1966 was when NBC switched their entire prime time lineup to color. NBC was also owned by RCA, which was the major color tv manufacturer at the time, and in 1965, RCA announced they were cutting the price of their new color tv models in 1965 and 1966, and used the NBC lineup to promote color TV. As an example, here was an RCA ad in 1967:

So the bright colors were a deliberate thing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I also feel like modern Trek could do with a little more fuckin' downtime. Like, we sometimes got to see Kirk and McCoy having a drink, or the TNG crew playing poker. Let us get to know the characters beyond whatever crisis they're wrapped up in. Not every moment needs to be advancing ~the plot arc~ .
How about watching a Buster Keeton movie in the shuttle bay?

Also no Miri? Your whole post was a bunch of blah blah blah

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

curiousTerminal posted:

Yes, if only everything could've looked like a dentist's office with elevator muzak droning on

or ORANGE AND TEAL

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm not saying that the bright colors are bad, by the time I finished ENT I was definitely tired of everything being a dimly lit, gray hallway. I'm just saying when the visuals and audio are such a wild sensory experience in comparison to modern TV, the fact that it lingers on scenes for so long for dramatic tension is much more noticeable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m starting a (re)watch of DS9. I saw a few seasons as a kid when it originally aired but tapped out before the Dominion War. I’m 3 episodes in and the characters all seem different from what I remember, especially Bashir.

Interestingly, I can’t really remember any DS9 episodes other than one where we visit the Changling homeworld and it’s a sea of bad CGI. Also one of the early episodes about the Jem’Hadar are trying to find Ketracel white. Also a flashback episode involving baseball.

Avery Brooks’s overacting is tough to sit through, and the treatment of Dax as an object of pursuit by Bashir and Quark is less than ideal.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 22, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

lol you old

Yes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Epicurius posted:

The bright colors were pretty much to sell color TV. 1966 was when NBC switched their entire prime time lineup to color. NBC was also owned by RCA, which was the major color tv manufacturer at the time, and in 1965, RCA announced they were cutting the price of their new color tv models in 1965 and 1966, and used the NBC lineup to promote color TV. As an example, here was an RCA ad in 1967:

See also: Batman.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m starting a (re)watch of DS9. I saw a few seasons as a kid when it originally aired but tapped out before the Dominion War. I’m 3 episodes in and the characters all seem different from what I remember, especially Bashir.

Interestingly, I can’t really remember any DS9 episodes other than one where we visit the Changling homeworld and it’s a sea of bad CGI. Also one of the early episodes about the Jem’Hadar are trying to find Ketracel white. Also a flashback episode involving baseball.

Avery Brooks’s overacting is tough to sit through, and the treatment of Dax as an object of pursuit by Bashir and Quark is less than ideal.

I'm doing the same, just got to season 4. It's definitely worth it. Season 1 does get notably better about halfway through. Especially Bashir.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

This is actually one of the main things that turns me off of TOS (and a bunch of old movies and TV in general). The music in old stuff is so out front and constant, even during dialoge-heavy scenes that it just ends up distracting my ears.

Weird, this is the complete opposite of my experience. Maybe we watch different shows, but I always appreciate older shows and movies (and I would've included TOS in there) that I perceived not to have wall-to-wall music and just let the characters talk in peace, until there was something that justified the incidental music.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

curiousTerminal posted:

My issues with TOS are the same issues I have with a lot of 60s sci fi (and non-comedy TV) in general: It's slow as hell and is written from the perspective of a society that doesn't exist anymore, so a lot of the plots and characters are vaguely alienating.
60s Doctor Who, TOS, the Time Tunnel, Dark Shadows, all of it feels like it's more informed by Stage Theater than by TV. It's also clearly padding for time due to low budget so there's a lot of held shots and scenes that go on for much too long. The only reason I've been able to watch it is because I do it as background noise while doing other things. Household chores, the extremely repetitive extra hours that work is giving me right now (I am manually putting a half sheet of paper into a flat sheet envelope. for 8 hours straight). It's fun and campy, but god is it hard to sit down and watch.

For me, that's how you have to appreciate those old shows: take them as stage theater (and really, a lot of the actors and production people are from that area). If you go in expecting modern "realistic" sets and special effects, you'll be disappointed. But stage theater doesn't have that and still tells amazing stories.

But there is a lot to be said for how people are brought up with media. For a lot of people even in Gen X, they can't stand to watch black and white movies. I consider TWOK to be the best Star Trek movie, and one of the best movies ever. The pacing and story is perfect, there's nothing wasted. So I was shocked to hear a couple years ago about Gen Y and Z people saying it's boring and slow. Sometimes there's just a pop cultural divide. Look at pop culture from the late 1800s to the 1920s--it's hopelessly simple and corny to most of us, but was unironically enjoyed by the people at the time.

Epicurius posted:

Another good example. The colors and sets of TOS are vefy stylized and lit weird and unrealistically. You can imagine someone who started watching with TNG or DISCO going back to that and saying "there's no way a military ship would have pink lights on the wall." But when I started as a kid with TOS, it was completely normal and seemed realistic as a vision of the future--of course this was an 8 year old in the 80s. But it really does stand out, as I saw when I went to the sets in Ticonderoga NY that James Cawley made. Once you see it in person, you can't un see it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Astroman posted:

For me, that's how you have to appreciate those old shows: take them as stage theater (and really, a lot of the actors and production people are from that area). If you go in expecting modern "realistic" sets and special effects, you'll be disappointed. But stage theater doesn't have that and still tells amazing stories.

But there is a lot to be said for how people are brought up with media. For a lot of people even in Gen X, they can't stand to watch black and white movies. I consider TWOK to be the best Star Trek movie, and one of the best movies ever. The pacing and story is perfect, there's nothing wasted. So I was shocked to hear a couple years ago about Gen Y and Z people saying it's boring and slow. Sometimes there's just a pop cultural divide. Look at pop culture from the late 1800s to the 1920s--it's hopelessly simple and corny to most of us, but was unironically enjoyed by the people at the time.

In the same way that people go from saying TMP was slow and plodding to saying it was really good, I wonder if that'll ever happen for Final Frontier.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i watched all of tos once when i was a child and i know with confidence i will never do so again

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

smdh at all this talk of essential TOS and no sign of "A Piece of the Action"

If good Star Trek isn't Spock wearing a big-lapelled suit holding a Tommy gun on a gangster while growling, "I'd advise yuz ta keep dialing'," I don't know what is.

Oh look, a royal Fizzbin!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

V-Men posted:

In the same way that people go from saying TMP was slow and plodding to saying it was really good, I wonder if that'll ever happen for Final Frontier.

Some of us already do say that itt. I've always liked Final Frontier.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Final Frontier is better than TMP but that’s a pretty low bar.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TFF is mangled in a lot of places but still more worth watching than most Trek made after 1996

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Josh Lyman posted:

Bashir's a real creep the first season-ish. They mellow him out later.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

Another good example. The colors and sets of TOS are vefy stylized and lit weird and unrealistically. You can imagine someone who started watching with TNG or DISCO going back to that and saying "there's no way a military ship would have pink lights on the wall." But when I started as a kid with TOS, it was completely normal and seemed realistic as a vision of the future--of course this was an 8 year old in the 80s. But it really does stand out, as I saw when I went to the sets in Ticonderoga NY that James Cawley made. Once you see it in person, you can't un see it.

"Realism" is overrated and usually an excuse for a dreary lack of imagination, if I want realism I can watch literally anything else. It's 400 years in the future, show me something wild and spectacular and patently unreal. It's not like anything we make now is actually going to resemble the real far future one way or the other, why not swing for the fences anyway?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Josh Lyman posted:

Avery Brooks’s overacting is tough to sit through,

what the

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Guys, guys. Both TMP and TFF are bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They both have different virtues and a great many drawbacks, but I personally find TMP way more enjoyable

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Weird, this is the complete opposite of my experience. Maybe we watch different shows, but I always appreciate older shows and movies (and I would've included TOS in there) that I perceived not to have wall-to-wall music and just let the characters talk in peace, until there was something that justified the incidental music.

This is almost certainly a "me" problem, but here's one example. These are just the first results when you search Youtube for "TOS scene" or "TNG scene."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DA4UAqdVls

There's this incessant, dreary, plodding soundtrack that goes nowhere and never says anything underneath 80% of this scene. The snare drum, the moaning, wailing brass, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I get that the scene is supposed to be tense, but I imagine this is what the waiting room in Hell sounds like. It completely distracts from what's actually happening in the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTPAaLimLMY

There's music here, but it's so much further down in the mix that it often blends into the ambient noise of the Enterprise. It's all smooth strings, French horn and very little percussion. Notably, the music only comes up in the mix when Data is alone, so it's not stepping on anybody's dialogue. You get a nice relaxing resolution once the tension in the scene is dealt with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lester Shy posted:

There's this incessant, dreary, plodding soundtrack that goes nowhere and never says anything underneath 80% of this scene. The snare drum, the moaning, wailing brass, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I get that the scene is supposed to be tense, but I imagine this is what the waiting room in Hell sounds like. It completely distracts from what's actually happening in the story.

I’ve seen wrong opinions before, but rarely have I seen ones so wrong that they collapse into a singularly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

I'm Rick Berman and I'm here to say

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

I also recently started rewatching DS9 and his acting in the two-part pilot is unarguably rough. He finds his feet pretty quickly though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I’ve seen wrong opinions before, but rarely have I seen ones so wrong that they collapse into a singularly.

me, listening to an episode of TOS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

the moaning, wailing brass, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I get that the scene is supposed to be tense, but I imagine this is what the waiting room in Hell sounds like.

turn off your text2speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lester Shy posted:

This is almost certainly a "me" problem, but here's one example. These are just the first results when you search Youtube for "TOS scene" or "TNG scene."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DA4UAqdVls

For whatever it's worth, that's a reused piece music from The Doomsday Machine -- it was originally the planet killer's leitmotif, but they reused it a bunch of times as sort of a generic "tense, approaching danger" theme. I agree that it's something of a forced fit in this scene.

The score of The Doomsday Machine is one of my favorites, by the way. There are distinct themes for the Enterprise, the Constellation, Decker, the planet killer and even the transporter, and they're all used to good purpose.