Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I will never stop being amused by the claims that deep space nine is boring when it contains a massive high-stakes interstellar war and tons of interpersonal drama at the edge of the frontier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Because none of that happens in season 1 or 2.

We get Allamarane and the loving maquis.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i thought ds9 was boring as a kid, but then i grew up

i will fight to death to defend the good name of allamaraine

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
An rewatching season 1 and can confirm that theres like two maybe three episodes worth watching.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I just rewatched the stuff with The Circle and it both hit a little close to home Given These Times We Live In and was rad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Splicer posted:

An rewatching season 1 and can confirm that theres like two maybe three episodes worth watching.

Ray Oh Van Teek Ah. (The Passenger)

Tosk. (Captive Pursuit)

O'Brien yells at cloud. (The Storyteller)

Buck Bokai the greatest baseball player of all time. (If Wishes Were Horses)

What is it? A CLOCK!!! (Dramatis Personae)

Killing your own clone is still murder. (A Man Alone)

Garak hitting on Bashir. (Past Prologue)

What you call genocide, I call a day's work. (Duet)

You hit me! Picard never hit me! (Q Less)

Allamaraine, count to four! (Move Along Home)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 23, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The more I think about it the more reasons there are to watch DS9 from the beginning, because it is a good and cool show and it's crew are my friends especially Kira whom I have decided is my cool aunt that I smoke weed with

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

CainFortea posted:

I recently had a competition to get me interested in ds9 (i'd never been able to get past season 2 it's just so boring)

That was the only episode that I just stopped watching. The only thing I can think of more boring than baseball is watching vulcans play baseball.

maybe tv just isnt for you. have you tried books?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Tighclops posted:

The more I think about it the more reasons there are to watch DS9 from the beginning, because it is a good and cool show and it's crew are my friends especially Kira whom I have decided is my cool aunt that I smoke weed with

Yeah she has lots of great stories, as long as you don't mind how much she talks about space Jesus

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
You mean stories about her wild times at work, where her new boss one day became space Jesus but really didn't get used to it until after a few years?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Roumba posted:

You mean stories about her wild times at work, where her new boss one day became space Jesus but really didn't get used to it until after a few years?

"Yeah so I was sitting with the Emissary and Gul Dukat, when this guy I used to date--the immortal one--came in, losing his poo poo, because--and I swear this happened--the grand nagus of the ferengi whatever got kidnapped and we had to go get him. <Long drag>"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jsoh posted:

maybe tv just isnt for you. have you tried books?

Golf is more exciting than baseball.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

people who like baseball don't even think baseball is super exciting

but it is very good and has a lot of very fun team elements

lets move on

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

that episode is one of those that excels because you've a lot of time to get to know the characters involved. it's a zero stakes scenario where the main point is to just let the characters be as they are. if you don't give a poo poo/haven't drank the character trait koolaid, its a pretty "what the gently caress is this" episode

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Why is season 1 of TNG so drat bad? Its almost like a different show. And how after such an abysmal season did they get the budget for more impressive sets and special effects in season 2?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Season one still rated pretty well. The heights were 5/6/7 but 1 was still great numbers.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
about to start openly weeping from DS9: The Visitor

Tony Todd as old Jake that looks and sounds nothing like Jake was excellent

special thanks to the writers and casting agents too

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

The Scientist posted:

about to start openly weeping from DS9: The Visitor

Tony Todd as old Jake that looks and sounds nothing like Jake was excellent

special thanks to the writers and casting agents too

Its also fun because it leads you to assume that Jake would spend the rest of his life doing something similar following the series finale.

Though I assume star trek EU lore probably has Sisqo show up like a month after the finale.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mrs. Dash posted:

Its also fun because it leads you to assume that Jake would spend the rest of his life doing something similar following the series finale.

It also reveals that the Dominion War either doesn’t happen without Sisko or is won without Sisko, as Earth seems to be just fine.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

It also reveals that the Dominion War either doesn’t happen without Sisko or is won without Sisko, as Earth seems to be just fine.

Or comedy third option: no Sisko around means Dominion takes over Alpha Quadrant governments in largely bloodless coup and ushers in 1000 years of peace and prosperity.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mrs. Dash posted:

Why is season 1 of TNG so drat bad? Its almost like a different show. And how after such an abysmal season did they get the budget for more impressive sets and special effects in season 2?

The first season or two of TNG were fraught with a lot of turmoil and infighting. Roddenberry was sick and/or high most of the time, and appointed his lawyer, Leonard Maizlish, to be his eyes and voice on set. Maizlish fought with Paramount, fought with producers, fought with writers, and fought with pretty much everybody. He also forced out the original series people who were working on the show (David Gerrold, DC Fontana, Robert Justman, and Ed Milkis) and brought himself a lot if ill will that way Roddenberry also brought in Maurice Hurley as showrunner, and eventually executive producer, because he trusted Hurley to maintain his "vision" (the whole no money, no grief, no religion thing). Hurley got into a lot of fights with the writers about that, and got the reputation of being difficult to work with. Hurley left after the second season after he ended up getting into a fight with Roddenberry over a script Roddenberry had written that broke Roddenberry's own rules. It also didn't help that in the second season, you had the Writer's Guild strike, which threw everything off.

There was also a lot of unhappiness among the cast. Denise Crosby left because her character didn't have anything to do. Patrick Stewart was uncomfortable on set because he hated memorizing and reciting technobabble and thought the rest of the cast was a lot less disciplined than he was used to. Wil Wheaton didn't really like the character he was being forced to play. Gates McFadden was sexually harassed by Maurice Hurley, who eventually got her fired when she wouldn't sleep with him, and in general, the first season of TNG was a bad time all around.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mrs. Dash posted:

Or comedy third option: no Sisko around means Dominion takes over Alpha Quadrant governments in largely bloodless coup and ushers in 1000 years of peace and prosperity.

Turns out Old Man Jake is a selfish mass murderer who gets his daddy back at the expense of billions in war dead

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mrs. Dash posted:

It's actually one of the best.

Good Episodes are (probably going to get roasted for these picks but whatever lol):

The Battle, Datalore, Too Short A Season, Home Soil, Coming Of Age (But only because it's linked with Conspiracy), The Arsenal of Freedom, Symbiosis, Conspiracy

I have a soft spot for The Neutral Zone and the only actually outright bad ones are The Naked Now, Code of Honour, and The Last Outpost -- the rest range from "eh" to "hmm".

Season Two and Three have more bangers but the one is outweighed by having to sit through Pulaski's bullshit.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mrs. Dash posted:

Audiences only had the rest of TOS to compare it against, not the rest of TNG. That plus the back half of the season really firms up as they find footing. It was received really well overall at the time.

Also Allamaraine is a great DS9 episode and I will fight anyone saying otherwise.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Also underappreciated: TNG S1/2 had the best music of the series by far, before they decided to go with the "sonic wallpaper" motif

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Also Allamaraine is a great DS9 episode and I will fight anyone saying otherwise.

:yeah:

infernal machines posted:

Also underappreciated: TNG S1/2 had the best music of the series by far, before they decided to go with the "sonic wallpaper" motif

There was some crazy cool poo poo in there, sometimes it straight up sounded like a 70s synth horror movie.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

alexandriao posted:

The Naked Now

uh huh huh huh huh huh

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kalsco posted:

the baseball episode is bar none one of my favourite all-time star trek episodes across any series. just vomits out character moments and its just so weird and funny.

anyway, im at the negging grandpa episode in season 1 and i really hate this geezer

they should've had bashir turn into a football hooligan who calls repeatedly calls odo a wanker and chants racial abuse at the vulcans

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mango sentinel posted:

I choose giant q-tips at dawn

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sisko Sisqo Cisco Cisquo

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Lmao scotch flavored chewing gum. O'Brien, you maniac.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

betaraywil posted:

Lmao scotch flavored chewing gum. O'Brien, you maniac.

I got a pack of Laphroaig gum one time, it was just wrapped chunks of peat

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Why am I not surprised that someone who likes mullets will fight someone at the drop of a hat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

Why am I not surprised that someone who likes mullets will fight someone at the drop of a hat.

What the gently caress is this libellous claim that I like mullets?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

What the gently caress is this libellous claim that I like mullets?

Those aliens had mullets.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If you don't love me at my Move Along Home, then you don't deserve me at my Duet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hello Trek thread,

I introduced TNG to my girlfriend a few months ago and she’s really fallen in love with the series. We’re both pretty new to the series as a whole but I’m hoping to get some Trek nerd thing for her for Christmas. Is there any particularly novel/fun merchandise for someone with a love of space communism?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

I introduced TNG to my girlfriend a few months ago and she’s really fallen in love with the series. We’re both pretty new to the series as a whole but I’m hoping to get some Trek nerd thing for her for Christmas. Is there any particularly novel/fun merchandise for someone with a love of space communism?

https://www.amazon.com/USS-Enterprise-Galaxy-Starship-Panoramic/dp/B01B3QCNOA/ref=sr_1_1

I mean, this is not communism specific but it's rad as hell.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

Silver Screen Bottling Company has a brand of vodka called Ten Forward that’s in a cool bottle with okudagrams and stuff. Vodka = Russia = communism, that’s my logic here

Acquisition of a bottle obviously varies with where you are and how old you are I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007P5K9O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_tPdVFbWTK11MN