Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i haven't been following ebay prices - how much of a markup are the various cards going for?
if you're potentially waiting another 3 months to try to get one, people might be just better off paying the markup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wait the 3060ti is real

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Doesn't really matter as long as it's from a legit retailer and cheaper than what you want to step up to.

You didn't look around, did you? It isn't that they are overpriced, it is that none are in stock, anywhere.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nomyth posted:

What are the latest passively-cooled or at least max <20 dB noise recommendations for GPUs nowadays? I'd like to do some heavy gaming on a build I have planned for next spring (i don't really do anything "light" tbh), with hopefully as many bells and whistles I can possibly turn on for War Thunder (which has DLSS now?) and Escape from Tarkov.

I'd like to push a lot of frames on 2560x1440 target ~240 fps for monitors like this one https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/dell-alienware-aw2721d-and-aw3821dw-more-specs-information-and-g-sync-discussion/, though if anyone can provide something that can do 4K@120fps+ I will be pleasantly surprised.

I've tried quite a few AIO solutions in the past several years and have not been satisfied with the produced background noise and such with regards to audio stuff. ok the real reasons are i want to be able to sleep where i game and maybe also be able to hear quiet noises in EFT without a headset
where did you get the max 20dB figure from? at that range you'd have to be extremely selective on any other nearby device breaking the ambient noise barrier you've chosen

monitors aren't really silent as an example...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Or coil whine :evilbuddy:

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Finally managed to get one of the 3070 combos off Newegg, only to realize after placing my order that it's one of the gigantic 3070s (323mm long) that won't fit in a Meshify C case.

What are the chances someone out there wants to trade for a smaller 3070? Otherwise I'm considering just canceling the order (this would also save me the headache of having to return the lovely power supply part of the combo).

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb (and Newegg is dumb) and I ended up checking the wrong card specs. The 3070 with my specific combo is only 286mm, so I'm safe.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 2, 2020

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Getting to 20dB with nothing going on in a room is hard, I don't see how you could run a PC that quietly. My suggestion is put the PC in another room and knock a hole in the wall for wires (this is what I would do if I had an extra room).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kefit posted:

Finally managed to get one of the 3070 combos off Newegg, only to realize after placing my order that it's one of the gigantic 3070s (323mm long) that won't fit in a Meshify C case.

What are the chances someone out there wants to trade for a smaller 3070? Otherwise I'm considering just canceling the order (this would also save me the headache of having to return the lovely power supply part of the combo).

Lol I did the same and ended up with the honking triple fan MSI 3070 with integrated LEDs that might run up against the cable bar in my NZXT h500 case (it's over 12" long!). On the off chance that someone wants to trade for a Founders Edition, I'll pay for shipping...

Or maybe even trade down for a 3060ti FE as a holiday gift swap

change my name fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 2, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of which, how easy will it be for me to trade a triple fan EVGA black 3070 (whenever my number comes up) for a 3070FE?

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

change my name posted:

Lol I did the same and ended up with the honking triple fan MSI one with integrated LEDs that might run up against the cable bar in my NZXT h500 case (it's over 12" long!). On the off chance that someone wants to trade for a Founders Edition, I'll pay for shipping...

Actually it turns out the RAM combo and the PSU combo that just dropped come with different cards. The RAM combo comes with the mega sized 323mm card, and the PSU combo comes with a more reasonably sized 286mm card. I ordered the PSU combo, but for some reason ended up looking at the RAM combo card to confirm size after ordering (I guess I just assumed they'd be the same).

So I'm safe as far as card size goes, it turns out. Now I just have to worry about returning the garbo PSU.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kefit posted:

Actually it turns out the RAM combo and the PSU combo that just dropped come with different cards. The RAM combo comes with the mega sized 323mm card, and the PSU combo comes with a more reasonably sized 286mm card. I ordered the PSU combo, but for some reason ended up looking at the RAM combo card to confirm size after ordering (I guess I just assumed they'd be the same).

So I'm safe as far as card size goes, it turns out. Now I just have to worry about returning the garbo PSU.

Apparently Newegg will let you return bundle components if you pay for shipping, so I'm not too worried there. I did get a garbage HDMI to VGA dongle as a "free holiday gift" that I guess I'll toss in my closet forever

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my Step 2 step-up email about an hour ago, 3080 is almost mine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pyrotek posted:

You didn't look around, did you? It isn't that they are overpriced, it is that none are in stock, anywhere.

Here

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-04G-P4-1457-KR-Backplate/dp/B08CPL5BB1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=evga&qid=1606873305&sr=8-16

a 1650 shipped and sold by amazon for $169.99. Enough to get you a potato to play games on and get into step up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Enos Cabell posted:

Got my Step 2 step-up email about an hour ago, 3080 is almost mine.

Can’t remember, but when did you jump in the queue on the 17th? Before 11 AM?

I’m just trying to roughly gauge my own wait, since I joined around 7 PM on the 17th. Probably around February would be my guess.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Back in 2013 i built a PC for the living room in a Streacom FC5 cabinet with a i3 processor. Bought a 65" Samsung Q90T at black friday and promptly discovered that the integrated graphics on the i3 can not actually do 4K.
Figured I could perhaps add a video card to it to enable 4K? What would be he cheapest GPU with passive cooling that supports 4K? According to the Streacom web site it seems the maximum length of the card is 180mm.
Guess I will also need a riser cable since the GPU must be mounted horizontally, never used a riser cable before, can I just go with the cheapest one I can find?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I am just hoping this gen we will get some real low budget GPU's from both sides

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Arvid posted:

Back in 2013 i built a PC for the living room in a Streacom FC5 cabinet with a i3 processor. Bought a 65" Samsung Q90T at black friday and promptly discovered that the integrated graphics on the i3 can not actually do 4K.
Figured I could perhaps add a video card to it to enable 4K? What would be he cheapest GPU with passive cooling that supports 4K? According to the Streacom web site it seems the maximum length of the card is 180mm.
Guess I will also need a riser cable since the GPU must be mounted horizontally, never used a riser cable before, can I just go with the cheapest one I can find?

180mm isn't a ton of room... I'd guess a passively cooled Geforce GT 1030 would work. Maybe like this one?

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

180mm isn't a ton of room... I'd guess a passively cooled Geforce GT 1030 would work. Maybe like this one?

A GT 1030 seems to fit the bill nicely, thanks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/hermita_akiba/status/1333947507022258178

350w TDP with the same 65mm blower wheel they used on like fuckin GTX 960s lets fuckin goooooo

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gigabyte’s already had a blower 3090 out for a while

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I just sold a 2070 black in 15 minutes of it being on facebook market place for $450.

This market is so goddamn stupid right now, they didn't even haggle.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

i haven't been following ebay prices - how much of a markup are the various cards going for?
if you're potentially waiting another 3 months to try to get one, people might be just better off paying the markup

Just looking at completed 3080 FEs sales on Ebay made today, they are still selling between $1200-$1500.

Even the EVGA XC3 Black with no back plate is going for $1200

nerdrum posted:

I just sold a 2070 black in 15 minutes of it being on facebook market place for $450.

This market is so goddamn stupid right now, they didn't even haggle.

Wow - congrats. I feel like there's a ton of desperate buyers out there right now. Since there literally is no NIB stock anywhere and with no end in sight, people are willing to throw down hard on the second hand market. It's time to cash in for those of you who are planning to get rid of your cards.

mA fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 2, 2020

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
edit: Double post

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can’t remember, but when did you jump in the queue on the 17th? Before 11 AM?

I’m just trying to roughly gauge my own wait, since I joined around 7 PM on the 17th. Probably around February would be my guess.

Yeah mine was in at around 10:50, but my brother was 30 some minutes after me and also got his step 2 this evening. Seems like they are making decent progress now.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

shrike82 posted:

I have an ebay search up. On a 3090 search, sorted by "lowest price first", one sample Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 3090 Trinity is listed for a buy-it-now (BIN) at $1900, and retails at NewEgg for $1530, so that's a $470 difference, or about a 24% markup.

For the 3080's, on ebay I see an MSI Ventus RTX 3080 10GB Card for a BIN price of $1096, while NewEgg has a listed price of $740, a difference of $356, or a 48% mark-up.

From that very tiny sample the 3080 cards are probably marked up higher than the 3090 cards. Some models of more popular brands, like from EVGA, probably go for higher premiums.

Perhaps someone else can check the 3070 card mark-ups.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mA posted:

Just looking at completed 3080 FEs sales on Ebay made today, they are still selling between $1200-$1500.

Even the EVGA XC3 Black with no back plate is going for $1200

Wow - congrats. I feel like there's a ton of desperate buyers out there right now. Since there literally is no NIB stock anywhere and with no end in sight, people are willing to throw down hard on the second hand market. It's time to cash in for those of you who are planning to get rid of your cards.

drat I just got my 3090 to replace my 1080ti and kinda wonder how much I could get for it now considering I bought it off an ethereum miner in 2018 for $500 after that bubble crashed

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

350w TDP with the same 65mm blower wheel they used on like fuckin GTX 960s lets fuckin goooooo

The first 2070 I got was a launch Asus Turbo that had that shroud and it sounded like a jet engine while gaming. It also died within a month.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cygni posted:

It is crazy to think that the cards with the least adequate cooling are the ones that are probably going to be pushed the hardest.

Here is a quad-SLI setup with Gigabyte's blower: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Quad-GeForce-RTX-3090-in-a-desktop---Does-it-work-1935/

I imagine people are setting up cryptocurrency machines like that right now, running at 100% constantly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How long do blower cards last in comparison to other cards? Hot and loud sound like a bad combo, but is there any data showing them actually dying earlier than their cooler counterparts?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

they're mostly used for compute where they're run at significantly lower TDP. the TDP/performance trade-off is very different for compute so you can manually reduce the power limit by literally a hundred watts and only lose 5% in throughput

probably a bad idea for gaming

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Blowers are ideal for 4 gpu setups like that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

nnnotime posted:

I have an ebay search up. On a 3090 search, sorted by "lowest price first", one sample Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 3090 Trinity is listed for a buy-it-now (BIN) at $1900, and retails at NewEgg for $1530, so that's a $470 difference, or about a 24% markup.

It's worth noting that, at a 24% markup, the scalpers are not even breaking even. They pay: $1530 retail + ~$120 tax + $190 ebay fee + $55 paypal fee = $1896. So a $4 profit! But then minus shipping, so they're probably out $20 on the deal. If they're an eBay Top Rated seller the $19 in savings about covers shipping.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

DrDork posted:

It's worth noting that, at a 24% markup, the scalpers are not even breaking even. They pay: $1530 retail + ~$120 tax + $190 ebay fee + $55 paypal fee = $1896. So a $4 profit! But then minus shipping, so they're probably out $20 on the deal. If they're an eBay Top Rated seller the $19 in savings about covers shipping.

Holy moly this is nuts lol.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I hope not that many people are buying from scalpers so they can just get hit with a bunch of credit card debt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Shipping would be WAY more for a 3090 because you'd realistically want to insure it as well, for at least $2000.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
any idea on when the RX 6700 / 6700XT is going to come out?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
assuming eventual availability (febuary, lol) are the current gen AMD cards actually... good?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

DrDork posted:

Interesting. Within my same ebay search results for the 3090 (and note this was limited to North America, only) I see another 22 listings for the 3090 at an average price of $1950 (various models), so maybe these sellers all came to the conclusion that the phase was over for massive gains in the 3090 scalp, and are now trying to make back their original 3090 card purchase cost, plus all the taxes and fees you listed, so as to break-even.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

assuming eventual availability (febuary, lol) are the current gen AMD cards actually... good?

1. the 6800 cleanly beats the 3070 in rasterization scenarios, but the MSRP is also more expensive than the 3070

2. the 6800XT is competitive with the 3080 in rasterization scenarios, and the MSRP is cheaper than the 3080

3. the AMD cards are capable of ray-tracing, but the performance is strictly worse

4. the AMD cards (currently) do not have an answer to NVidia's DLSS as a way to run at 4k + ray-tracing while still maintaining decent frame-rates

___

Because of 3 and 4, it's difficult to recommend either of them unless you're only playing non-RT games AND you know you're not going to playing ray-traced games until your next GPU purchase.

Or maybe you do play ray-traced games, but also you also believe that AMD is eventually going to come out with a viable challenger to DLSS.

If actual street prices shifted enough that the AMD cards were cheap(er) relative to their NVidia counterparts, then that might also shift the value proposition in their favor, but it's even less likely given that AMD looks like it produces fewer cards than NVidia does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

DrDork posted:

This is probably another reason that the 3080 will likely be more scare than any other model more much longer. For scalpers, the incentive to continue to ring up 3080s isn't going anywhere, especially while they're able to easily flip it for ~175%-200% the original price on ebay. I feel like 3060s and 3070s will probably be much easier to find in Q1 2021, but 3080s are gonna be relatively scarce till Q2 or longer.

mA fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 2, 2020