Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nomyth posted:

What are the latest passively-cooled or at least max <20 dB noise recommendations for GPUs nowadays? I'd like to do some heavy gaming on a build I have planned for next spring (i don't really do anything "light" tbh), with hopefully as many bells and whistles I can possibly turn on for War Thunder (which has DLSS now?) and Escape from Tarkov.

Is no-one going to point out how straight up insane this is? The ambient noise floor (including other fans in the system) in GNs recent GPU testing is 21db. This guy want's a GPU which is literally silent. Nothing that can pull off the bells and whistles you want is that quiet under load. Nothing.

As for sleeping in the same room though, most if not all the current crop of Nvidia GPUs turn the fan off when not in use, so they would be silent while you're sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Harik posted:

assuming eventual availability (febuary, lol) are the current gen AMD cards actually... good?

Good, yes. MSRP is cheaper, rasterization is about equal, power efficiency is better and they have more VRAM

BUT

actual AMD prices are right now more expensive and Nvidia has so much more good features, significantly better RT performance and are actually (kind of) available so no reason to try to hunt down an AMD card for now. I'd be happy with either one but Nvidia wins hands down right now as far as I'm concerned.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Is no-one going to point out how straight up insane this is? The ambient noise floor (including other fans in the system) in GNs recent GPU testing is 21db. This guy want's a GPU which is literally silent. Nothing that can pull off the bells and whistles you want is that quiet under load. Nothing.
Yeah, 20 dB is already a lower level than most reviewers can accurately test; to get below 10 dB ambient noise you need to construct a hemi-anechoic chamber.

An example of one used for power supply testing: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14026-Hemi-Anechoic-Chamber-Construction

quote:

Yesterday we installed an over 300 kilos door. It was supposed to be only 260 kilos but it actually is much heavier, since it took six people (the sixth is hidden in the photos, behind the door) and LOTS of effort to install it in place. The walls are around 36cm thick with 10cm sound blocking material within.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Harik posted:

assuming eventual availability (febuary, lol) are the current gen AMD cards actually... good?

The lack of DLSS is a killer for me. I have a 4k 60Hz monitor and a 3070 and even ignoring ray-tracing, DLSS is the difference between playing at 4k 60fps and 4k something less than 60fps on games like Control and I presume Cyberpunk 2077.

If you're sub-4k (and the majority of people are, especially gamers) and don't care about raytracing, maybe the AMD cards make sense.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Looking forward to 2pm today so I can frantically try and get a graphics card before they are sold out within 5 seconds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

exquisite tea posted:

Hey folks, I've been having some troubles since installing my MSI Ventus RTX 3080 last week, and I'm trying to narrow it down to whether it's a problem within a specific game, the driver, the hardware, or all three. Any help would be appreciated.

Basically, since sticking the card in my system on November 26th I can only go about an hour in AC Valhalla without crashing to desktop. Sometimes it crashes almost immediately on load. This usually comes without an error message in the Event Viewer, although the few times it has, it's been something driver-related (kernel exception in something or other). I did a clean install after removing all previous Nvidia drivers using DDU update, then another full clean & reinstall last night, but the game still crashes. I did once get the following BSOD while playing, DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL nvlddmkm.sys. This ONLY seems to happen in AC Valhalla, and part of the problem is that the game received its first patch on the same day I put in my card, so I can't determine if it's a problem with my system, the hardware, or just this well-documented, exceptionally buggy game. Since getting the 3080 I've played a couple hours in MK11, Horizon Zero Dawn, AC Odyssey and Control, all without issue.

However, I once did get the DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error while simply restarting my computer from a crash, so there's some concern that I might be dealing with faulty hardware. I'm really hoping this is not the case because it took so long just to get this stupid card and I hate dealing with Newegg's RMA process!

Stuff I've already tried

- Reset my CPU to factory clock and voltage.
- Installed latest version of the BIOS.
- Deleted the Ubisoft Connect cache and verified game files.
- Completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner + RTSS.
- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic twice. No errors found.
- Ran SFC and fixed whatever problems were there.
- Reset all Nvidia Control Panel settings to their defaults.
- Rolled back the Nvidia driver to the October 29th release (this is where I got the first BSOD).
- Stress-tested the GPU in several 3dMark benchmarks. All results came back between 97.9% - 99.1% stability.
- Monitored GPU + CPU temperatures. Nothing above 78C for the card under load, well within stable range.
- Monitored TDP usage, nothing besides the occassional 101% spike that's well within operating range for my 750w PSU.
- If it was a power or thermal problem, my computer would probably be shutting down completely anyway.

Stuff I've yet to try

- Disable XMP and reset RAM speed to default.
- Reseated the card (I don't think this is the issue but whatever).
- Stuck my old GPU back in to see if I still get errors.
- Undervolted or downclocked the new GPU.
- ???

Any further guidance would be great!

So just as an update from this, since I know everybody is very interested: I had some extra RAM lying around, so I stuck that in and set it to its recommended XMP profile. And I guess AC Valhalla just didn't like my previous timings or the RAM itself, because I haven't had any crashes for the past 3-4 hours of playing. Strange because I just upgraded my RAM a couple months ago and hadn't run into any problems before installing the 3080. Maybe there's something about this GPU that makes it really finicky about memory, since DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL would presumably mean the Nvidia driver was paging memory that didn't exist. Who knows! Computers are weird folks.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

NicelyNice posted:

The lack of DLSS is a killer for me. I have a 4k 60Hz monitor and a 3070 and even ignoring ray-tracing, DLSS is the difference between playing at 4k 60fps and 4k something less than 60fps on games like Control and I presume Cyberpunk 2077.

If you're sub-4k (and the majority of people are, especially gamers) and don't care about raytracing, maybe the AMD cards make sense.

only time the AMD cards makes sense ( this is assuming you can buy anything) is at the 3070/6800 point the 6800 is the better buy, once your in the 3080/6800xt point Nvidia is the better option because a click of a slider in Afterburner and DLSS + RY performance out classes what AMD has to offer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
NVidia is theoretically in a really good place with the 3060Ti being the only thing in that price-range that offers that kind of value (better than the 5700XT in rasterization, AND it has ray-tracing, AND it has DLSS), but it's rather contingent upon the things being available and for selling at that price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wait the 3060ti is real

If you're a reviewer.

vv still stands

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 2, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

HalloKitty posted:

If you're a reviewer.

It's out in 45 minutes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HalloKitty posted:

If you're a reviewer.

And don't drop it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Throwing it out there officially: My MSI Gaming X Trio 3070 (the honking huge 323mm one with LEDs and three fans) is shipping from Newegg today. When I get it in the next few days, I'm going to put it on SAmart to trade for a 3060 ti (preferably FE, but no worries if no one can snag it) and the cost of shipping since it likely won't fit in my case and I have a 550 watt PSU and want to maintain as much headroom as I can. People in this thread will get priority.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

exquisite tea posted:

So just as an update from this, since I know everybody is very interested: I had some extra RAM lying around, so I stuck that in and set it to its recommended XMP profile. And I guess AC Valhalla just didn't like my previous timings or the RAM itself, because I haven't had any crashes for the past 3-4 hours of playing. Strange because I just upgraded my RAM a couple months ago and hadn't run into any problems before installing the 3080. Maybe there's something about this GPU that makes it really finicky about memory, since DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL would presumably mean the Nvidia driver was paging memory that didn't exist. Who knows! Computers are weird folks.

Considering its Valhalla, it may just be the game? I've had to stop playing it on my 3080 since I can't go more than an hour since the patch without it crashing. Sometimes as little as 10 minutes wherein it will just lock up. No issues in any other games.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

They had 100+ 3060 Tis at my local Micro Center, a good amount of 3070s, and some 3080s amd 3090s. They still had a bunch of 3060 Ti vouchers and some 3070 left at the end of the line.

Hopefully this means stock will be a bit better than prior launches online.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

AirRaid posted:

It's out in 45 minutes.

Theoretically

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

It's out of stock in 45 minutes.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So who was supposed to sell these now? EVGA's site crashed, and the usual suspects are showing nothing or coming soon?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Best Buy Canada sold out in seconds

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

A Typical Goon posted:

Best Buy Canada sold out in seconds

Yeah I added one to my cart and then the site slowed down to a crawl and the checkout page took 3 minutes to load, at which point it told me it was sold out. What a joke!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If in Europe the 3060 is showing as available at ldlc. But they're at 600ish and the 3070 is listed at 700ish though not available

e: also on casekings

e: all gone on ldlc, casekings still have cards but their website is obviously under strain

Interesting to see the rush in real time

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 2, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Can't add to cart though :argh:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-08g-p5-3663-kr/p/N82E16814487535?Item=N82E16814487535

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

At 6AM I started refreshing newegg and checked out with the 3060ti Gigabyte the second it dropped. It went out of stock less than a minute later. Praying it actually ships and they don't delete the order later in the day.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also seeing a lot of stock at Micro Center and honestly pondering making a day trip to pick one up...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

air- posted:

Also seeing a lot of stock at Micro Center and honestly pondering making a day trip to pick one up...

Same. I hope going during my lunch hour isn't a foolish endeavor.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

seems to be that microcenter is locally saturating its markets and driving down local markups while demand in places that don't sell cards retail (almost everywhere else?) it's still sky high

im in the evga 3060ti queue for a friend who can't no-life this.

also ask me about 2080ti blowers, I had one until a few weeks ago when I put an Accelero on it. I got it cheap, used, from someone who also bought it cheap using someone else's cash for research that wound up going in a different direction (aka a quieter card)

it worked. it didnt boost well, it never ever crashed, it was loud but mostly it was high pitched enough that you could hear it downstairs in the living room faintly. now its 8-10dB quieter and boosts better.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 2, 2020

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Just like a lot of y'all, I've been sitting on the Best Buy site since 6:00 and the cards are still showing as coming soon. How does their "queue" system work again? Once you are able to add to cart (if it ever happens), you can't refresh or it puts you to the back of the line?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's possible I snagged a 3060. Was refreshing a bunch of websites at 2pm and I got the buy now notification for a Gigabyte card on Scan UK. Just snapped it up quickly, had to fill out a bunch of anti-bot measures which maybe helped? Payment went through and I have the order received e-mail from them, so fingers crossed.

I refreshing a minute later and everything is sold out. CCL did have a bit of stock left, might be worth checking them if anyone still looking? They have some 3060s as recent as 10 minutes ago.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My order for a launch AMD 5600x went in between 10:30 and 10:40 AM eastern time if anyone is trying to time it. (Best Buy)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

air- posted:

I would if my store would show me if they had it in stock :argh:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

going to die laughing if nvidia rights the stock ship/enough people settle for 3060ti/3070 who wanted 3070/3080 while AMD still can't ship a second review unit.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because of 3 and 4, it's difficult to recommend either of them unless you're only playing non-RT games AND you know you're not going to playing ray-traced games until your next GPU purchase.

I'd further add that we aren't going to see many RT games until probably 2 years from now anyway, since for one making a multi platform title means baseline lighting implementation will be non-RT as it still needs to run on non-RT platforms.

To get the most out of raytracing, you'd need to do what Minecraft RT devs are doing and write the rendering implementation from ground up and I just don't see many devs choosing to do that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Now wondering if the cards will drop on Best Buy in the next 60 seconds...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=rtx%203060%20ti

Looks like :negative:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Now wondering if the cards will drop on Best Buy in the next 60 seconds...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=rtx%203060%20ti

Looks like :negative:

Someone on the drops discord is saying they reached out to a local store and were told 12pm PST, so who knows

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Best Buy. Right now. Funnily enough I looked away after the last F5.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Best Buy. Right now. Funnily enough I looked away after the last F5.

Yepppp, I see a list of places I can pick it up but not actually buy online. Smart move on their part!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Please wait.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Annnnd they're gone
e: lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

lmao i hit it and was going to get one but refreshed the window. oh well it was for a friend but i feel bad!!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Extremely cool that it's in my cart, but pick-up is not available within 250 miles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Was able to add it to my cart but then couldn't select a store to pick up from, so I guess it is gone!