Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Some Christians are convinced it's a satanic plot to teach kids about Islam because they'll trick the kids into saying the secret words that make you a forever Muslim and drat your soul to hell. I think there's even a Chick tract where someone is like "I'm going to teach you some cool Arabic just repeat after me" and the Christian hero shows up just in time to stop their friend from being tricked into Hell.

Aha, yep I looked it up and here it is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evangelical christians are great because they’re constantly besieged by powerful magic of all kinds and their god is too weak to stop it or protect them. Witches can make my game of dungeons and dragons better and compel my dad to get me all the books for it. What the gently caress can Jehovah do? He needs people to burn Kiss records for him or else he’ll vanish like Captain Planet after he falls into a smokestack.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Does Hinduism even have a conversion process? Abrahamic religions do because Judaism made it a requirement to either be born into the covenant or voluntarily sign on which ended up spilling over to the religions that came after but Eastern religions tend to not have that requirement.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Does Hinduism even have a conversion process? Abrahamic religions do because Judaism made it a requirement to either be born into the covenant or voluntarily sign on which ended up spilling over to the religions that came after but Eastern religions tend to not have that requirement.

Hinduism is a very broad term covering multiple local traditions, sects etc so it would really depend.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Don Gato posted:

Hinduism is a very broad term covering multiple local traditions, sects etc so it would really depend.

I knew the first part so I should have guessed, that's fair.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Some Christians are convinced it's a satanic plot to teach kids about Islam because they'll trick the kids into saying the secret words that make you a forever Muslim and drat your soul to hell. I think there's even a Chick tract where someone is like "I'm going to teach you some cool Arabic just repeat after me" and the Christian hero shows up just in time to stop their friend from being tricked into Hell.

Famous religion that only requires lip-service and not devout faith : Islam.

Don Gato posted:

Can't, charts are Satan as well. Why do you think they attacked D&D so hard? All that talk of magic and demons was a cover for the true satanic power of charts.

When in doubt just assume it's Satan, thats what I learned as a kid when a friend's mom was convinced the Nembutsu I repeated when asked to lead a prayer before dinner was actually me speaking in tongues to summon Satan.

O loving hell. Aren't you even from an area with a good amount of Japanese immigrants? I'm the the whitest white to ever white from a family that whites so hard we poo poo bleach, but we'd just ask you politely what you said out of curiosity because we realize other languages exist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Somfin posted:

Born again? They always repaint their pasts as being horrendous and vile.

my question is do they all know its bullshit. i have brought this up on other threads but its like watching those evangelicals on the weird little evangelical shows, talk about how they were shivas super general or some poo poo and raised to be super rapists and did every crime but than find jesus. why lie to each other. is it some emperors no clothes thing where they all want to look like believers but better or is it some American psycho poo poo but instead of business cards its bullshit conversion stories.

Twelve by Pies posted:

yeah evangelicals love magic words and poo poo. its loving weird. like i read weird religious histories/theology as a hobby but conservative evangelicalism is the loving worst(along with Wahhabism) but they are both empty reactionary bullshit thats all about finding the easiet ways out and hurting others.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xiahou Dun posted:

I remember growing up in a Texas suburb and having a dozen or so churches asking me to sign my name in their guestbook in exchange for local fast food coupons. They genuinely believed bribing teenagers into going to church once allowed them to save those innocent souls with God Magic, so why wouldn't the inverse be true? All Jamal your friendly Pakistani neighbor has to do is be nice once and suddenly your soul is dammed for all eternity for worshiping Satan who was pretending to be God the whole time

EDIT:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why lie to each other. is it some emperors no clothes thing where they all want to look like believers but better or is it some American psycho poo poo but instead of business cards its bullshit conversion stories.

Emperor's No Clothes is the best way to put it. When no one calls anyone on their bullshit you can count on the believers next to you to have your back when you need them to

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 3, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

As someone who grew up for a brief time in my teenage years in the Evangelical sphere:

The more pathetic and ridiculous their former life is, the more "sinful", the more they have changed (while believing they are superior to every other religion and believe that at least 4/5ths of the Human populace is going to Hell). You can also justify all the lovely things you do now and judge people, because you are a better person now

It's like a "share your best conversion story" and you get instantly more clout the more hosed up you say you were

It's a cult, and a social clique at the same time

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 3, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarklyDreaming posted:

I remember growing up in a Texas suburb and having a dozen or so churches asking me to sign my name in their guestbook in exchange for local fast food coupons. They genuinely believed bribing teenagers into going to church once allowed them to save those innocent souls with God Magic, so why wouldn't the inverse be true? All Jamal your friendly Pakistani neighbor has to do is be nice once and suddenly your soul is dammed for all eternity for worshiping Satan who was pretending to be God the whole time

EDIT:

Emperor's No Clothes is the best way to put it. When no one calls anyone on their bullshit you can count on the believers next to you to have your back when you need them to

thats gross. like i get you can say this about all religiouns/etc but being that shallow and everything being built on bullshit transactions and lies seems bad. no wonder they are chuds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They don’t understand the difference between truth and fiction in the same sense as everyone else because they place the highest value on things that aren’t literally real or true but also can’t understand what a metaphor is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well, in a sense, that's not entirely true. My understanding is that Islamic jurisprudence holds that you're a Muslim as soon as you knowingly recite the confession of faith. Whether you consider yourself a Muslim or practice the religion makes no difference (you might be a "bad" Muslim but you are still a Muslim), and I believe some schools of Islamic jurisprudence believe that, provided you've recited the confession of faith, then ultimately you're Muslim no matter what and Allah is the most forgiving, etc. etc.

The larger question is: if you don't believe in Islam, why would you care? If it's all made up, then their rules make no difference to anyone and you can continue being a Christian or an atheist or anything else you want to be.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
In theory, the "I was a super bad person and committed all the crimes multiple times but then found Jesus" serves two purposes. One, it allows them to reach out to people who have fallen on hard times. There's the idea that people will think "I'm not good enough to be saved, it's pointless" and the idea is that by saying you were just as bad (or worse) as other people, and you are saved, those people will go "Oh, I guess I can believe in Jesus after all."

Two, it reinforces the Protestant idea of "faith saves you and works are meaningless," that it doesn't matter what horrible things you did because if you say the magic words you're saved and the bad things you did don't matter. The grossest, most vile example of this is the Chick tract Lisa where a father who's sexually abusing his daughter gets found out by a doctor, who tells him to pray to Jesus, and then the father comes home and says "I'm not going to molest you anymore honey, isn't it great?" and he doesn't go to jail or anything because he said the magic words so all the crimes he did aren't important anymore.

In reality, as others have said, it's just a way to try and make themselves look cool and gain clout with other people who believe the same as they do. Some of them also probably think it makes them look cool to older kids/teens to say they did all this crazy stuff but then they found out Jesus is the greatest of all.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They don't understand the difference between truth and fiction in the same sense as everyone else because they place the highest value on things that aren't literally real or true but also can't understand what a metaphor is.

Which is weird when you think about it because one of the things Jesus is best known for is telling parables, like whether there actually was a prodigal son or not doesn't matter because it's just trying to illustrate a spiritual truth.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Twelve by Pies posted:

The grossest, most vile example of this is the Chick tract Lisa where a father who's sexually abusing his daughter gets found out by a doctor, who tells him to pray to Jesus, and then the father comes home and says "I'm not going to molest you anymore honey, isn't it great?" and he doesn't go to jail or anything because he said the magic words so all the crimes he did aren't important anymore.

:stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my question is do they all know its bullshit

It reinforces their beliefs, which makes it more true than something that is merely real. Asking whether or not it actually happened is asking the wrong question.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

RagnarokAngel posted:

Abrahamic religions do because Judaism made it a requirement to either be born into the covenant or voluntarily sign on which ended up spilling over to the religions that came after but Eastern religions tend to not have that requirement.

Broadly speaking, all religious devotions have initiation rites of some kind. That can be the recitation of a formula, a baptism, a circumcision, a big party, whatever. (Lots of devotions have several, and they have many features.) Specific cults will have specific initiations, which might or might not look like "conversion."

The reason Christian initiation looks the way it does has very little to do with Judaism (which did not historically and does not presently have a robust tradition of conversion) but with Mediterranean mystery religions of the first centuries AD. The religious landscape was highly synchretistic--that is, you could mix and match from among religious traditions--and there were lots of religious groups that offered you hidden knowledge in exchange for hanging out with them and learning their ways and often giving them a good amount of money. This hidden knowledge was generally how to live so that a specific patron deity would take care of you in the afterlife (Demeter, Dionysus, Isis, Jesus).

That synchretistic and gnostic quality also make these religions fairly evangelical (in the sense of reaching out and trying to attract new followers). So an initiation in this context--accompanied by new knowledge, requiring a personal choice--seems different from some initiation rites like say a bar/bat mitzvah (or a high school graduation or whatever).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

The grossest, most vile example of this is the Chick tract Lisa where a father who's sexually abusing his daughter gets found out by a doctor, who tells him to pray to Jesus, and then the father comes home and says "I'm not going to molest you anymore honey, isn't it great?" and he doesn't go to jail or anything because he said the magic words so all the crimes he did aren't important anymore.

No the gross part about this is that she immediately forgives him for everything because obviously he wasn't in control of his actions and now he swears that he is in control and that he'll be better so she believes he will

He doesn't even apologise because he's already been forgiven, ya see

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PT6A posted:

Well, in a sense, that's not entirely true. My understanding is that Islamic jurisprudence holds that you're a Muslim as soon as you knowingly recite the confession of faith. Whether you consider yourself a Muslim or practice the religion makes no difference (you might be a "bad" Muslim but you are still a Muslim), and I believe some schools of Islamic jurisprudence believe that, provided you've recited the confession of faith, then ultimately you're Muslim no matter what and Allah is the most forgiving, etc. etc.

I mean, even in Islam you can't be tricked into saying the shahadah. I mean, I guess you can be tricked into saying the words, but that doesn't count. You need to recite it three times, sincerely, in front of witnesses. You can't accidentally boffa/ligma your way into Islam.

Twelve by Pies posted:

In theory, the "I was a super bad person and committed all the crimes multiple times but then found Jesus" serves two purposes. One, it allows them to reach out to people who have fallen on hard times. There's the idea that people will think "I'm not good enough to be saved, it's pointless" and the idea is that by saying you were just as bad (or worse) as other people, and you are saved, those people will go "Oh, I guess I can believe in Jesus after all."

Two, it reinforces the Protestant idea of "faith saves you and works are meaningless," that it doesn't matter what horrible things you did because if you say the magic words you're saved and the bad things you did don't matter. The grossest, most vile example of this is the Chick tract Lisa where a father who's sexually abusing his daughter gets found out by a doctor, who tells him to pray to Jesus, and then the father comes home and says "I'm not going to molest you anymore honey, isn't it great?" and he doesn't go to jail or anything because he said the magic words so all the crimes he did aren't important anymore.

Also, this tradition helped fuel the Satanic Panic because a lot of hucksters told conversion stories about how they were doing human sacrifices and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo when they were in the secret satanic cults until Jesus saved them. It made for really juicy stories, and evangelicals lapped it up. It got so common that some neo-pagan groups who were trying to fight the satanic panic started going to these hucksters' events and calling the police when they told these stories, because if it was actually true then they just confessed to committing murder in front of an entire audience. (The fact that the regular evangelical audience never even thought to do this is very telling.)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So it doesn’t exist but it does. People in cults are clearly acting completely of their own free will.

Most people in QAnon are acting of their own free will, they just have exceptionally stupid and misinformed beliefs.

Somfin posted:

No the gross part about this is that she immediately forgives him for everything because obviously he wasn't in control of his actions and now he swears that he is in control and that he'll be better so she believes he will

Ugh. And this, right here, is exactly how church sex abuse gets covered up.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 3, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

LanceHunter posted:

Also, this tradition helped fuel the Satanic Panic because a lot of hucksters told conversion stories about how they were doing human sacrifices and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo when they were in the secret satanic cults until Jesus saved them. It made for really juicy stories, and evangelicals lapped it up. It got so common that some neo-pagan groups who were trying to fight the satanic panic started going to these hucksters' events and calling the police when they told these stories, because if it was actually true then they just confessed to committing murder in front of an entire audience. (The fact that the regular evangelical audience never even thought to do this is very telling.)

I never heard this before, that's pretty cool.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, even in Islam you can't be tricked into saying the shahadah. I mean, I guess you can be tricked into saying the words, but that doesn't count. You need to recite it three times, sincerely, in front of witnesses. You can't accidentally boffa/ligma your way into Islam.

So did they get arrested?
The neopagans, I mean. Obviously not the christians.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sucrose posted:

Most people in QAnon are acting of their own free will, they just have exceptionally stupid and misinformed beliefs.

Ugh. And this, right here, is exactly how church sex abuse gets covered up.

I think it is reasonable to state that a large portion are having their fragile mental state exploited by whatever powers control the account/tripcode (Watkinses and whoever is working with them) for their own dumb ends. 🤷‍♂️

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just realized that the Dragnet movie with Dan Aykroyd has the same plot as the first season of True Detective.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I never even knew that was a movie, and I sure as poo poo didn't realize there was a music video with Tom Hanks and Dan Akroyd doing a dance routine with a bunch of people in goat/satyr/whatever costumes :stare:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think it is reasonable to state that a large portion are having their fragile mental state exploited by whatever powers control the account/tripcode (Watkinses and whoever is working with them) for their own dumb ends. 🤷‍♂️

Right. I'm just saying that belief in mystical mind-control-type brainwashing being a real thing is something that led to people being harmed in the past and probably hurt the anti-cult movement far more than it helped it. In the 1980s the Cult Awareness Network got sued into oblivion and had their name purchased by Scientology because a guy associated with them named Rick Ross had kidnapped someone and they were found liable for it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

betaraywil posted:

Broadly speaking, all religious devotions have initiation rites of some kind. That can be the recitation of a formula, a baptism, a circumcision, a big party, whatever. (Lots of devotions have several, and they have many features.) Specific cults will have specific initiations, which might or might not look like "conversion."

The reason Christian initiation looks the way it does has very little to do with Judaism (which did not historically and does not presently have a robust tradition of conversion) but with Mediterranean mystery religions of the first centuries AD. The religious landscape was highly synchretistic--that is, you could mix and match from among religious traditions--and there were lots of religious groups that offered you hidden knowledge in exchange for hanging out with them and learning their ways and often giving them a good amount of money. This hidden knowledge was generally how to live so that a specific patron deity would take care of you in the afterlife (Demeter, Dionysus, Isis, Jesus).

That synchretistic and gnostic quality also make these religions fairly evangelical (in the sense of reaching out and trying to attract new followers). So an initiation in this context--accompanied by new knowledge, requiring a personal choice--seems different from some initiation rites like say a bar/bat mitzvah (or a high school graduation or whatever).

Im a Jew but I think you are underestimating how much the Covenant of God stuff has an impact on Christianity. Christianity had its start as a Jewish sect, and there were even discussions about if you had to adopt Jewish practices or even be Jewish to be a Christian (rather wisely the decision was "no" as circumcision would likely be a non starter).

Judaism wasnt evangelical but it did have systems in place if someone wanted to sign on, it just wasnt actively looking for people. Christianity adopted the baptism from Judaism (who likely adopted it from others) and both required a firm committment to this new faith system.

This does get a bit muddled because there were several competing sects and when the Catholic church sort of won out in Rome they tended to want to suppress any other schools of thought, but Christianity was notable for not being syncretic and requiring you commit to it, much like Judaism before it. Christianity was just a lot more active in trying to pull people in and had a pretty decent offer going to boot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think all religions have initiation rites. Broadly speaking, religion isn't about swearing loyalty to a team, it's about describing what goes on the spiritual world, which you presumably believe is true regardless of what anyone else thinks. So when, like, Buddhism spreads to other cultures, it doesn't go "you have to swear devotion to Buddha or you're going to Hell!" it just says "well, here are some tricks to improve your odds of getting reincarnated somewhere nice." Buddhism doesn't ask its believers to replace their local religions, or to stop praying to their local gods, it just has some big ideas about how the world works as a whole. Polytheism in general rather easily accepts the existence of foreign gods too. They often end up added to the pantheon.

Monotheism is more of the exception, since by definition it cannot coexist with other religious beliefs. But even then a lot of local gods end up as saints or demons.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 3, 2020

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im a Jew but I think you are underestimating how much the Covenant of God stuff has an impact on Christianity. Christianity had its start as a Jewish sect, and there were even discussions about if you had to adopt Jewish practices or even be Jewish to be a Christian (rather wisely the decision was "no" as circumcision would likely be a non starter).

Judaism wasnt evangelical but it did have systems in place if someone wanted to sign on, it just wasnt actively looking for people. Christianity adopted the baptism from Judaism (who likely adopted it from others) and both required a firm committment to this new faith system.

This does get a bit muddled because there were several competing sects and when the Catholic church sort of won out in Rome they tended to want to suppress any other schools of thought, but Christianity was notable for not being syncretic and requiring you commit to it, much like Judaism before it. Christianity was just a lot more active in trying to pull people in and had a pretty decent offer going to boot.

The big one for Christianity was Sol Invictus, the unconquered sun. Constantine's father was starting his career when the emperor Aurelian attempted to institute Sol Invictus as a state religion to the empire. Halos, worship on Sunday, the date of Christmas, all have their roots in Sol Invictus. In fact Constantine hedged his bets until the very end, inventing new symbols (the Chi Rho, the Labarum) that could be interpreted as either Christian or not, depending on your own biases.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Michael Flynn posted that Trump should suspend the Constitution and enact martial law.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when Obama was definitely going to do that and it was terrible.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The difference in trump and obama is trump definitely listens to lunatics that say "suspend the Constitution"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Somfin posted:

:allbuttons:

Holy loving poo poo. I knew Jack Chick was a freak, but what the actual gently caress

The projection argument about Qanon continues to gain validity by the day... :barf:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The great tragedy of Trump is that even if he would try the levers of power that would grant him a second term despite losing the election, he doesn't know how, and the cronies he would outsource it to are unable. Put it this way: despite the exalted position the US military occupies in the Qanon canon (they think a bunch of hero army soldiers just sacrified their lives in a firefight in the serverfarms of Frankfurt), the military, from the generals to the officers to the enlisted, are broadly sick of Trump, and will not support him as CiC post Jan 20. Like the only troops that still love him are marines and Navy Seals, aka the dumbest and most blowhard troops. The only levers of power he can really call on are the police and DHS/CBP, and they don't have the geographic and cross-institutional influence to force other power centers violate the constitution in Trump's favor.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Michael Flynn posted that Trump should suspend the Constitution and enact martial law.

i think that wildly overestimates how much Generals like Trump.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

i think that wildly overestimates how much Generals like Trump.

Didn't the Pentagon just release a video like last month near explicitly stating they will not become involved in any election dispute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The difference in trump and obama is trump definitely listens to lunatics that say "suspend the Constitution"
Well yeah, but the conspiracy theory was that Obama would suspend the Constitution and enact martial law and was believed by the exact same smooth brained people that believe that Trump should suspend the Constitution and enact martial law.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Sucrose posted:

Right. I'm just saying that belief in mystical mind-control-type brainwashing being a real thing is something that led to people being harmed in the past and probably hurt the anti-cult movement far more than it helped it. In the 1980s the Cult Awareness Network got sued into oblivion and had their name purchased by Scientology because a guy associated with them named Rick Ross had kidnapped someone and they were found liable for it.

I wonder if this is the same Rick Ross who has been cited in the recent documentaries about NXIVM, The Vow (HBO) and Seduced (Starz). My guess? Yes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Well yeah, but the conspiracy theory was that Obama would suspend the Constitution and enact martial law and was believed by the exact same smooth brained people that believe that Trump should suspend the Constitution and enact martial law.

They were terrified he would do it because it's exactly what they would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just imagine how even crazier the unhinged conspiracies around Jade Helm 15 would have been had Qanon been a thing under Obama's administration. I can't, I just can't.