Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've done everything the Bible says, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well, glad to see covid is doing a great job getting republicans on the state and local level at least :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
this says the bibble

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mr Interweb posted:

well, glad to see covid is doing a great job getting republicans on the state and local level at least :colbert:

https://twitter.com/BadCOVID19Takes/status/1336015902307913730?s=20

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've done everything the Bible says, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!

Read your book! Austin 3:16 will sort you out

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/antihobbes/status/1336027866786480128?s=21

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Absolutely amazing. They've gaslit themselves to the point where they're looking truth in the face and claim it doesn't exist, incredible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the bible’s sick as gently caress, at one point a dude wrestles an angel for no reason and it never comes up again

powerful, inspiring, brave

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've done everything the Bible says

You really cocked up the early stuff.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Declan MacManus posted:

the bible’s sick as gently caress, at one point a dude wrestles an angel for no reason and it never comes up again

Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!”

24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!”

24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

This is why they had to nerf rangers in later editions

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
You could have said that the bears mauled dozens of boys or about forty of them, but it was important to mark down that there were exactly 42.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Well yeah, it’s the answer, isn’t it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

numerrik posted:

Well yeah, it’s the answer, isn’t it?

*shakes head, vapes out slowly*
READ ANOTHER BOOK
:goonsay:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Got curious about this and googled it.

Question: "Why did the Prophet Elisha curse the “youths” for making fun of his baldness (2 Kings 2:23-24)?"

Answer: There are a few key issues we must understand in regards to this account of the youths cursing Elisha. The text reads, “From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ they said. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.” It seems unbelievable that God would cause two bears to maul a group of children for making fun of a man for being bald.

First, the King James Version has done us a disservice by translated the term as “children.” The Hebrew word can refer to children, but rather more specifically means "young men." The NIV, quoted here, uses the word “youths.” Second, the fact that the bears mauled 42 of the youths indicates that there were more than 42 youths involved. This was not a small group of children making fun of a bald man. Rather, it was a large demonstration of young men who assembled for the purpose of mocking a prophet of God. Third, the mocking of “go on up, you baldhead,” is more than making fun of baldness. The baldness of Elisha referred to here may be: 1) natural loss of hair; 2) a shaved head denoting his separation to the prophetic office; or more likely, 3) an epithet of scorn and contempt, Elisha not being literally bald. The phrase “go up” likely was a reference to Elijah, Elisha’s mentor, being taken up to Heaven earlier in 2 Kings chapter 2:11-12. These youths were sarcastically taunting and insulting the Lord’s prophet by telling him to repeat Elijah’s translation.

In summary, 2 Kings 2:23-24 is not an account of God mauling young children for making fun of a bald man. Rather, it is a record of an insulting demonstration against God’s prophet by a large group of young men. Because these young people of about 20 years of age or older (the same term is used of Solomon in 1 Kings 3:7) so despised the prophet of the Lord, Elisha called upon the Lord to deal with the rebels as He saw fit. The Lord’s punishment was the mauling of 42 of them by two female bears. The penalty was clearly justified, for to ridicule Elisha was to ridicule the Lord Himself. The seriousness of the crime was indicated by the seriousness of the punishment. The appalling judgment was God’s warning to all who would scorn the prophets of the Lord.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

achieving oneness with Jesus by hootin and hollarin at a tree

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Shut the gently caress up about the Bible, it sucks and so do you.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

forty two yoots

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Bible owns when you remember it's just the fanfictions of a bunch of nerds who finally got someone to Listen. "oh they're making fun of my bald head, huh?? Well I'll show them, I'll show them all!"

Also Rudolph having the covid is very funny and long overdue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hitlerjugend rally BTFO by Antifa superbears

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Slamhound posted:

Shut the gently caress up about the Bible, it sucks and so do you.

seriously

let's get back to posting about dead/dying chuds pls:

https://twitter.com/sofain/status/1336324991797743619

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Constipated posted:

It seems unbelievable that God would cause two bears to maul a group of children for making fun of a man for being bald.

Haha what that does not seem unbelievable at all.

Jehovah killed a dude's entire family to win a bet once, and another time he killed every man, woman, and child on earth except for like 12 people

E: oh yeah he killed every first born Egyptian just for being Egyptian

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Dec 8, 2020

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

VitalSigns posted:

Haha what that does not seem unbelievable at all.

Jehovah killed a dude's entire family to win a bet once, and another time he killed every man, woman, and child on earth except for like 12 people

Uhhh I didn't say it was unbelievable.. Do you think I'm defending the bible or something? Lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
No, I was responding to whatever you were quoting in your post, I wasn't attributing their opinion to you

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Imagine being able to just snap your fingers and two bears come out of the woods to maul people you don't like. Awesome.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Hey what's you favourite Bible verse?

The parts where jesus dies, four times.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VitalSigns posted:

I thought he killed every first-born Egyptian because um... well because Pharoah was going to relent but then God "hardened his heart" so basically he made Pharoah make him kill every first-born Egyptian. Exodus 9:12.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Blind squirrel, etc.

Yes, "we" will say that. Idiots.

God loving dammit these people.

"Hey, there's a sign up near the beach warning about several shark sightings. Several people have already been bitten and it looks pretty bad. Maybe don't swim today"

"gently caress that. gently caress you! Sharks aren't real. They just don't want us to swim! My family and friends are here for a patriotic 4th of July BBQ at the beach to celebrate freedom. You can't tell me what to do!"

*Gets attacked by sharks*

"Hmmm....anyone think it's weird that only those drunken belligerent rednecks in the U.S.A. bathing suits got eaten by sharks?"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who is this God Person Anyway?

Content:
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1336349687167717379?s=20

Kennel has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Dec 8, 2020

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Blind squirrel, etc.

Yes, "we" will say that. Idiots.

God loving dammit these people.

"Hey, there's a sign up near the beach warning about several shark sightings. Several people have already been bitten and it looks pretty bad. Maybe don't swim today"

"gently caress that. gently caress you! Sharks aren't real. They just don't want us to swim! My family and friends are here for a patriotic 4th of July BBQ at the beach to celebrate freedom. You can't tell me what to do!"

*Gets attacked by sharks*

"Hmmm....anyone think it's weird that only those drunken belligerent rednecks in the U.S.A. bathing suits got eaten by sharks?"

"Yo bro you should have bootstrapped / willed / prayed to god, to keep yourself from not being eaten by a shark."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"Yo bro you should have bootstrapped / willed / prayed to god, to keep yourself from not being eaten by a shark."

TBH I was expecting a post/avatar joke.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Definitely the one where someone quotes the chapter and verse but not the text, expecting everyone to go look it up.

Jokes on them, I don't give a poo poo.

I'll tell you Matthew 6:5

It says hypocrites pray in public and make it a show. Real holy folks pray alone. It's a great "gently caress you hypocrite" without ever saying it, because Christians don't know their own beliefs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JUST MAKE A loving BIBLE THREAD AND gently caress OFF

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Do you have any idea what happens to apostates?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

seriously

let's get back to posting about dead/dying chuds pls:

https://twitter.com/sofain/status/1336324991797743619

Y'all Qaeda looking mother fucker

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

TBH I was expecting a post/avatar joke.

Farewell and adieu, to ye drunk shouting Yankees
Farewell and adieu, to ye pains in the ask
For I've received orders for to lockdown for Covid
But you're gonna die, cause ye won't wear yer mask

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cocaine Bear posted:

When the spirit of the lord is inside of you, all threads are Bible threads. Now if you'll excuse me I need to spread the hope of the gospel to those ignorant heathens in Coupons and Deals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have you ever read the gnostic gospel of Botha?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Have you ever read the gnostic gospel of Botha?

i dont know what's a gnostic with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

i dont know what's a gnostic with you?

Lingma balls!