Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xenix posted:

That's true. When my company buys concrete for projects in SF it always comes from Oakland, Martinez, or San Rafael.

there's a cement plant in SF itself. Is it more expensive than those others or something?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rah! posted:

there's a cement plant in SF itself. Is it more expensive than those others or something?

Cemex is generally more expensive, yes, and I've never bought from Allied. However, you generally only have a few days notice for when you need concrete, so you have to find the plant that can get it to you next Tuesday at 8 am instead of next Wednesday at 3 pm or you potentially have a work stoppage.

edit: Also US Concrete has purchased all of the smaller suppliers in the area which has driven up prices substantially in the last 5 years or so. We were getting significant cost increases yearly from them every year for a while. I'm not sure if we've gotten one lately.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Xenix posted:

edit: Also US Concrete has purchased all of the smaller suppliers in the area which has driven up prices substantially in the last 5 years or so. We were getting significant cost increases yearly from them every year for a while. I'm not sure if we've gotten one lately.

But the quality of the concrete, the speed of its delivery and the quality of support services from them has vastly improved. The market works!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vox Nihili posted:

This seems good?

it is, thank you to everyone who scared Weiner into doing this, hopefully he'll actually help the campaign for it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"oh I voted no on this because I thought it would help the black community"

It'll come just wait.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Doc Hawkins posted:

it is, thank you to everyone who scared Weiner into doing this, hopefully he'll actually help the campaign for it.

Also hell yeah, Alex Lee (D-Fremont) is a newly elected 25-yr-old assembly member and a DSA comrade (and a NUMTOT, so he says). His district director (local constituent services, engagement, and organizing efforts) is also former SVDSA leadership.

Seriously, this is like his second day on the job or something

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Kenning posted:

It's famously the case that it costs almost nothing to bribe someone. It's not like you have to get someone $50,000 in perks to get stuff done. Plenty of people can easily be bribe for a few hundred to a couple thousand bucks.

Because the money isn’t the thing. People always assume that it’s people getting a sack of cash to do whatever, it that’s very rarely the case. The money is just the illegal thing, so that’s what gets charged and what makes the papers. But it’s a lot more subtle and relational than that. Politicians getting money to change their positions just doesn’t happen that much, it’s not the primary vector through which money influences politics.

The bribe of a couple Gs or whatever is not the entirety of the corrupt relationship, or even the main part. It is just the part that is easily prosecutable and most explicitly illegal.

Yes but I saw an empty house once, so this article is clearly neoliberal lies meant to oppress the least among us (Bay Area homeowners).

CopperHound posted:

My biggest frustration is with :airquote:progressives:airquote: that unwittingly fight on the same side of reactionaries.
Because the agenda of most civic groups, including ones that self describe as progressive or even leftist, is set by people who are more likely than the rest of us to own homes. Homeownership (in the sense that most people think of it, in which your home becomes an investment/inheritance rather than just a dwelling) is a toxic social-economic model but it’s also the primary way that wealth is built in this country, so it’s untouchable politically. Generally the minute you count on your home increasing in value as a significant part of your finances is the minute that your material interests become directly contrary to those of every unhoused or rent-burdened person in your area.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 11, 2020

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Craptacular! posted:

First of all to my knowledge that building doesn't loving exist and second that person has clearly not seen that part of LA lately.

Ah yes, noted ghost town ...
:checks notes:
DTLA

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Genuine question, why not mix concrete on site? The oil business trucks cement in dry bulk and mixes on site with a pump skid. Maybe you can't mix the rock media?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Goodpancakes posted:

Genuine question, why not mix concrete on site? The oil business trucks cement in dry bulk and mixes on site with a pump skid. Maybe you can't mix the rock media?

some projects do. when we do deep soil mixing or jet grouting they have batch plants on-site but trucking in dry cement is still very expensive and time-consuming and unreliable. But having a batch plant is an insane setup and only for use in like >800 cubic yards a day consumption. if you're doing framing or other foundational work you just won't get a good mix on-site with smaller-scale equipment and also takes manhours to do, the qa/qc is better having it trucked in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

This seems good?

this is going to go down in flames 40/60%. don't get too excited

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Xaris posted:

some projects do. when we do deep soil mixing or jet grouting they have batch plants on-site but trucking in dry cement is still very expensive and time-consuming and unreliable. But having a batch plant is an insane setup and only for use in like >800 cubic yards a day consumption. if you're doing framing or other foundational work you just won't get a good mix on-site with smaller-scale equipment and also takes manhours to do, the qa/qc is better having it trucked in.

Interesting. Oil business regularly mixes <100 cf jobs. Maybe it's why these Wells always leak lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

also you need the additional space for it, which can be a tough ask on top of what's already needed for the staging/construction yard for an urban project

and finally there are environmental concerns - primarily air quality: dust, volatile organics - concrete batching is nasty

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

this is going to go down in flames 40/60%. don't get too excited

Nah now that I'm invested it'll probably go down 48%/52% and I'll spend days checking the vote count updates as misguided hope slowly fades into dejection.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Vox Nihili posted:

Nah now that I'm invested it'll probably go down 48%/52% and I'll spend days checking the vote count updates as misguided hope slowly fades into dejection.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Disease & Disaster > California Politics Thread: Where Misguided Hope Slowly Fades into Dejection

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

acksplode posted:

Gascon never ran against Chesa. He resigned early to run in LA, the DA election that Chesa won was an open contest

It should have been an open contest (the first open DA contest in ages in SF), but London Breed had to put her thumb on the scale and promoted his opponent Suzy Loftus to interim DA a month before the election so she was the incumbent.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’ll be interesting to see how durable the trend of progressive DAs is. I worry that we’re only one high profile murder by a parolee away from a lot of this progress coming undone.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

This seems good?

it's going to be slammed as a racist sexist measure meant to cement white houseowner power over everyone else and any progressive who speaks in favor of this is actually repeating right wing talking points

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still Dismal posted:

It’ll be interesting to see how durable the trend of progressive DAs is. I worry that we’re only one high profile murder by a parolee away from a lot of this progress coming undone.

I was reading a story yesterday about a dad who beheaded his two kids and left them in the house with his other two kids for 5 days and the framing of the story was “This will be the first high profile murder case the new ‘no death penalty’ directive” so yeah it’s gonna be used in attack ads for sure.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The ink wasn't even dry on bail reform before detractors claimed that crime had exploded in LA and San Francisco.

Like what criminal is thinking, :shepface: "I wasn't gonna carjack that boomer in the Buick over there but now that I don't need a bail bond my margins are so much better!"?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

The ink wasn't even dry on bail reform before detractors claimed that crime had exploded in LA and San Francisco.

Like what criminal is thinking, :shepface: "I wasn't gonna carjack that boomer in the Buick over there but now that I don't need a bail bond my margins are so much better!"?

The ones that everyone on Nextdoor talks about. There's thousands apparently.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

droll posted:

The ones that everyone on Nextdoor talks about. There's thousands apparently.

No need to go to that website,.imo

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Mitsuo posted:

(and a NUMTOT, so he says).

So... a literal teenager?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Homevoters are one part of the politics of housing.

The other part is fragmented local government. People who drive two hours each way don't get to vote on the housing where they work. There is no politics through which the people of Tracy and Antioch can force the legislatures of the Bay Area's core to legalize more housing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, the insane fragmentation of American local government into a million different little jurisdictions is a hugely underrated part of why we don’t have nice things, especially because it’s often a 100% intentional effort to exclude poor people from being part of a given polity. And like you said, the two reinforce each other too, because very often the answer to “Why is [wealthy city] so incredibly lovely on housing/policing/transit?” is that the electorate there is composed mainly of people who like it that way, because they’re the only ones who can afford to live within the city limits.

FCKGW posted:

I was reading a story yesterday about a dad who beheaded his two kids and left them in the house with his other two kids for 5 days and the framing of the story was “This will be the first high profile murder case the new ‘no death penalty’ directive” so yeah it’s gonna be used in attack ads for sure.
I think the problem is that murders are big sexy stories, whereas people being overcharged is not.

I mean, someone who is straight up innocent and is later able to prove it being jailed can be a story that gains traction, but the much more common phenomenon of someone who did commit a crime but is given a sentence wildly disproportionate to the level of threat they pose is far less likely to dominate a news cycle (and even if it did, a non-trivial chunk of the electorate wouldn’t see a problem there).

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 11, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah I was definitely having to say over and over on twitter to a bunch of people posting "HE DID THIS IN SF AND LOOK AT THAT HELLHOLE!" that no, Gascon had not implemented any of these policies in SF, that Chesa had and he's only been in office since Jan 8th so even if you think SF is a shithole these policies couldn't possibly be the cause and actually, crime in SF is down and has been on a (generally) downward trajectory for a number of years unless you're counting the pearl clutching techies calling 311 because they had to see a poor person as "crime."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Who knows, maybe the kid beheader guy is innocent and it'll take him ten years to prove it

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005
In money we trust, united we spend.
The Cliff House in San Francisco is closing because trump broke the National Park Service. Covid-19 didn't help, but the current stewards say their issues stem back a few years.

The website here has some more info in the form of an open letter:

https://cliffhouse.com/

Not sure if this is the right thread to post about it, I'm just upset.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aopeth posted:

The Cliff House in San Francisco is closing because trump broke the National Park Service. Covid-19 didn't help, but the current stewards say their issues stem back a few years.

I hated the last rebuild A LOT, but I'm sad, too.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Aopeth posted:

The NPS has a decent history of mismanaging concession contracts. Remember when they lost the rights to all the place names in Yosemite for a few years because of a poorly thought out concessionaire contract?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Aopeth posted:

That link didn't work, but the Merc one below does. Don't bother to read the comments, it's morons raging about evil Newsom shutting down businesses.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/12/13/report-s-f-s-iconic-cliff-house-restaurant-to-close-permanently

I never would've guessed it supported 180 people, that's way bigger than I thought

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Reporting to you live from the Third World Country of California. Where we lose power daily in rolling blackouts while 45 miles away the techopolis exists in SF.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I heard there's been rolling blackouts in CA again these past few weeks but I must have completely missed it in my news. Did anyone here post about it? Who was affected?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

I heard there's been rolling blackouts in CA again these past few weeks but I must have completely missed it in my news. Did anyone here post about it? Who was affected?

Sonoma county, marin county. That's what I have seen so far.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Aopeth posted:

wow that's some letter.

Also that experience just sounds incredibly awful. I...uh...do have to say though that they probably made bank off of that contract for 47 years. Enough to justify floating expenses for a few year. Here's the RFQ, which NPS put out in 2019. It's apparently one of the top 100 grossing restaurants in the country ($14 million annually). That doesn't include the gift shops or parking lots.

Also because it's NPS property they didn't have to deal with any of the San Francisco or California regulatory or tax burden that most restaurants face. Businesses operating on federal property in SF are all basically immense tax dodges.

IDK. I think there's more to the story here than the letter makes out. I'll fully grant NPS is a tirefire, but the price is good enough to put up with the bullshit.

e: I think the bigger issue was probably cashflow due to COVID.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 15, 2020

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005
In money we trust, united we spend.

El Mero Mero posted:

wow that's some letter.

Also that experience just sounds incredibly awful. I...uh...do have to say though that they probably made bank off of that contract for 47 years. Enough to justify floating expenses for a few year. Here's the RFQ, which NPS put out in 2019. It's apparently one of the top 100 grossing restaurants in the country ($14 million annually). That doesn't include the gift shops or parking lots.

Also because it's NPS property they didn't have to deal with any of the San Francisco or California regulatory or tax burden that most restaurants face. Businesses operating on federal property in SF are all basically immense tax dodges.

IDK. I think there's more to the story here than the letter makes out. I'll fully grant NPS is a tirefire, but the price is good enough to put up with the bullshit.

e: I think the bigger issue was probably cashflow due to COVID.

I didn't know this info, thanks for the edification! That is quite a bit of money and upsetting info re: ever-present tax loopholes.

Also, thanks to the other posters for the commiseration and the info about NPS and Yosemite (lol). Still bummed for those 180 who are losing their jobs.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This is just speculation, but that letter sounds to me like a negotiating tactic aimed at drumming up public support prior to a potential change in leadership of NPS under Biden?

Disregard if that’s not possible due to the contract deadlines...

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This is just speculation, but that letter sounds to me like a negotiating tactic aimed at drumming up public support prior to a potential change in leadership of NPS under Biden?

Disregard if that’s not possible due to the contract deadlines...

I don't know. Encouraging the public to complain to the contracting official is a great way to lose business.

If I had to guess they would have been fine waiting it out, but then coronavirus shut them down. They probably ran out of PPP money, and then other SBA money, and then didn't get an insurance payment and now they're looking at a cashflow crisis and super pissed that the contract situation is making the cashflow worse (but it normally wouldn't be mortal). Seems super valid thing to be pissed about, but absent coronavirus they probably wouldn't have put out the letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
businesses love blaming all their problems on government, crying that government should be run like a business

it's fitting that a part of government that has a mandate to be run like a business is putting the screws to someone, trying to get them for as much money as they can