Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flannelette posted:

Kinda puts a damper on any plan to expand it then.
And if they try to expand it to DSP and age pension, every lawyer's balls will go to the moon on the thought of being able to get a commission to sue every single business, festival tent or garage sale that doesn't take the card in the country.

That is exactly what they want to do. Everyone on welfare is a target no matter what their needs are or how responsible they are. loving tory scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Probably shouldn't have fuckheaded an outbreak to begin with instead

The member for Kew is warned

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Imagine if the Dandy man and all the other premiers hadn't told Scotty from Marketing to gently caress off?

Everyone screwed up the start of the pandemic. Nothing like it had ever happened before in living memory. In a "just in time" economy, where the assumption that nothing will ever go wrong, ruled every layer of business and politics, people making incredibly stupid decisions was as inevitable as it was tragic.

I judge our leaders by what they did after.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 12, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

realbez posted:

now that's innovation

Telstra basically have no customer service at the moment either. No matter what path I follow in their automatic question gauntlet, it eventually tells me to download the app and hangs up on me.

If you're in one of those IVR hell-mazes mashing the # key usually dumps you to a person.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

If you're in one of those IVR hell-mazes mashing the # key usually dumps you to a person.

That’s my usual go to, but Telstra’s just indifferently keeps talking at you while you mash the # button

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

realbez posted:

That’s my usual go to, but Telstra’s just indifferently keeps talking at you while you mash the # button

I was working for Telstra (Bigpond wireless broadband helldesk) when they first started rolling-out the IVR system. We used to tell customers they can mash # to bypass it which is maybe why it doesn't work today lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love the media.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
How could Dan have let this happen to us!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Totally responsible reporting from the mainstream media, as usual.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update

quote:

As of 12 December 2020, Victoria has recorded five internationally acquired cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) diagnosed in people currently in hotel quarantine.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"A mother who wishes to remain anonymous says transgenderism has now become fashionable to young people."

Love to see big papers posting this kind of terf propaganda. Super cool. Guess we've gotta catch up to Mummy England on this stuff eventually

:fuckoff:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like the "By Anonymous" byline.

Such fearless reporting.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Weird article to write after your kid has been on hormones for a year. So they fought with their kid to such an extent that a social worker intervened and it seems like there haven't been any regrets, or other major issues. I guess the material reality of the situation doesn't matter when you are obsessed with your bigotry.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Tokamak posted:

Weird article to write after your kid has been on hormones for a year. So they fought with their kid to such an extent that a social worker intervened and it seems like there haven't been any regrets, or other major issues. I guess the material reality of the situation doesn't matter when you are obsessed with your bigotry.

It’s the base axiom held by most people that a transgender outcome is a *bad* outcome rather than an alternative outcome that makes it easy to ignore this obvious reality :(

I worry that this being published by Fairfax will embolden News Corp to turn it up to 11 like they have in the UK

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Homora Gaykemi posted:

"A mother who wishes to remain anonymous says transgenderism has now become fashionable to young people."

Love to see big papers posting this kind of terf propaganda. Super cool. Guess we've gotta catch up to Mummy England on this stuff eventually

I'm still struggling with the article apparently written by a 44 year old that refers to 'beatniks'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm still struggling with the article apparently written by a 44 year old that refers to 'beatniks'

It doesn't seem out of place with the other groups they list. Just seems like a Gen X or Vanguard millennial having the standard "as a parent I".

E: a friend of mine that's a psychologist has sort of said that fashion/peer influence/looking for place can be a point of interest for doctors at the beginning but this seems like all that kind of interrogation happened long ago and this person is just sad that their kid is trans and there weren't enough avenues available to bully them back to being "normal".

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 13, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKwyjsJGxk

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Published the day after they reportedly found Bridget Flack dead, this isn’t a coincidence.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

It doesn't seem out of place with the other groups they list.

I mean I would strongly argue it has been out of use even in fringe cases longer than we have both been alive but i can agree that the kind of dead poo poo Gen X mind that might write an article like that might still have leftover brainworms from their childhood during the nixon era fallout

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I mean I would strongly argue it has been out of use even in fringe cases longer than we have both been alive but i can agree that the kind of dead poo poo Gen X mind that might write an article like that might still have leftover brainworms from their childhood during the nixon era fallout

They might be big Simpsons fans.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 13, 2020

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

E: a friend of mine that's a psychologist has sort of said that fashion/peer influence/looking for place can be a point of interest for doctors at the beginning but this seems like all that kind of interrogation happened long ago and this person is just sad that their kid is trans and there weren't enough avenues available to bully them back to being "normal".
Eh, no one wants to be trans because it's cool/in fashion/people pressure you to. And by the time you actually get to a point where you can start anything medical (re: HRT), you've had to wait months on end already just to get to that point.

TERFs/Guardian/et al like to make out you can just go down to your GP and start HRT in a day, it's nothing like that. It's an absolute struggle to even get to that point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Eh, no one wants to be trans because it's cool/in fashion/people pressure you to. And by the time you actually get to a point where you can start anything medical (re: HRT), you've had to wait months on end already just to get to that point.

TERFs/Guardian/et al like to make out you can just go down to your GP and start HRT in a day, it's nothing like that. It's an absolute struggle to even get to that point.

Yeah I agree with this. I'm just saying the article seems legitimate, but any of those concerns get dealt with early on anyway. So even if it was some online community thing or whatever, a medical professional will actually consider other possibilities.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
love some "legitimate concerns"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tokamak posted:

No, you see that the issue isn't that my son is now comfortable in his own skin, and is receiving the medical and psychological help to allow him to do so.

The issue is that my pretty pretty princess of a daughter is just being trendy. I don't care how unhappy my child is, they'll grow out of it. It must be a fad, no matter how much pain that stopping them from transitioning will cause them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The state no longer traumatises trans kids enough for my tastes so I’ve got to pick up the slack at home

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

it's something like the third article of this sort published by the SMH in the last week, terrible to see a non-News Corp publication joining in on this poo poo. News Corp spent most of last year making a serious transphobic push, especially The Australian, which was terrible but mostly I was just glad that somehow the Coalition didn't show any appetite for it. this poo poo spreading beyond News Corp's hard right line is really not a good sign though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1338022436755795968?s=20

just breathing out a huge cloud of bong smoke and then saying this whole thing in one run on sentence to my family at christmas lunch

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

*barely restrained trans rage*

The comments are worse, the patronizing attitude is dripping from every word.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

lih posted:

it's something like the third article of this sort published by the SMH in the last week, terrible to see a non-News Corp publication joining in on this poo poo. News Corp spent most of last year making a serious transphobic push, especially The Australian, which was terrible but mostly I was just glad that somehow the Coalition didn't show any appetite for it. this poo poo spreading beyond News Corp's hard right line is really not a good sign though

One of the first things Morrison the happy clapper did once he became PM was spend thousands of taxpayer dollars to remove gender inclusive language from the toilets in his department.

TERF arseholery is entirely up his, and his party of fundie regressive arseholes street

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the first things Morrison the happy clapper did once he became PM was spend thousands of taxpayer dollars to remove gender inclusive language from the toilets in his department.

TERF arseholery is entirely up his, and his party of fundie regressive arseholes street

At the request of a ninefax opinionista no less

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
I'm talking about taking meaningful action to rollback trans rights like The Australian has been campaigning for, which the government has shown absolutely no interest in actually doing, not just ultimately meaningless lovely gestures like Morrison removing the gender neutral toilet signs in his department. In April this year, Greg Hunt refused to hold the inquiry into the treatment of trans children that the Murdoch press & Christian lobbyists had been calling for, citing the RACP's advice that Australia was following international best practices with affirmative care for trans children, and said the government would consider the RACP's advice that national guidelines should be established in line with the affirmative model. I'm not saying the government has been good for trans issues or anything, just that they haven't been actively hostile like conservative governments elsewhere in the world have been recently, which is enough to be something of a pleasant surprise. My guess is that the government simply wasn't willing to pick a fight here after badly losing on same-sex marriage, thankfully.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

just breathing out a huge cloud of bong smoke and then saying this whole thing in one run on sentence to my family at christmas lunch

Auspol Summer: Evolution gave us Adolf Hitler

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

(23 million dead)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

love some "legitimate concerns"

I simply mean it doesn't read like a made up story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Is this what having a stroke feels like?

Wheezle posted:

Auspol Summer: Evolution gave us Adolf Hitler

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Counting with Katter: Wrong in 1989, wrong in 2020, a proud tradition.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1338023794087059457

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

The SMH has now doubled down on TERFism which is insanely cool

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Recoome posted:

The SMH has now doubled down on TERFism which is insanely cool

the smdh

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

I have been watching the UK turn into loving terf Island over the past few years and just anxiously waiting for that poo poo to get imported. I was shocked (in a good way) when Greg Hunt told the people calling for the inquiry into treating trans kids to essentially get hosed, but good to know even the non-murdoch media is doing its best to keep the flame alive. At least if this poo poo really kicks off I can follow in one of my UK sister's footsteps and seek asylum in NZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's the trigger with the UK? Like is it just their lovely papers upping circulation with the typical hate campaign or what?