Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"It's from a really well-respected Polish game studio. Also, everybody's really excited, because the hottest action star in the world, Keanu Reeves, is in it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I really stupidly enjoy stealthing an objective, getting props from my handler, then drawing my blade and charging back in to Ronin showdown the whole lot. There are, of course, no consequences.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you told my 12-year-old self, who is busy hex-editing SimFarm savegame files for money cheats, that, in 2020, he would have the entirety of his gaming library on a proprietary online platform, play games on a 24" screen with thirty times the pixels of his trusty 14", and have sixty-four times more RAM than he currently has HDD storage space, he'd probably go "wow, that's pretty 2020".

If you then told that same 12-year-old self that he'd be needing a hex editor to fix the .exe of the year's biggest and most anticipated triple-A title, he'd probably go "how hosed up is 2020?".

yeah i havent had to use a hex editor since dreamcast was relevant

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GD_American posted:

"It's from a really well-respected Polish game studio. Also, everybody's really excited, because the hottest action star in the world, Keanu Reeves, is in it"

:lol:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

mlmp08 posted:

I really stupidly enjoy stealthing an objective, getting props from my handler, then drawing my blade and charging back in to Ronin showdown the whole lot. There are, of course, no consequences.

I inevitably gently caress something up and have to full rambo. So far, I haven't noticed any consequences.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I just need something better than a 1070ti so I can play it in 4k

There has been some quality benchmarking by independent sources and much like Crysis this is gonna be a game where nothing on earth for the next three years can do 4k60 ultra.

It’ll be gorgeous when that day comes though. There should be nothing stopping people from running this at 4k120 DLSS upscaled to 8k120 circa 2030.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
G O T Y

https://twitter.com/TheNo1Alex/status/1336926431507488768?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This loving owns

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Played the first two missions on 4K with medium details, and poo poo like motion blur/film grain turned off (since I don't like that anyway), and the game was absolutely servicable at just under 30fps.
Switched to 2K, turned the quality to high, and holy poo poo. Runs absolutely smoothly at 50+fps and looks gorgeous. Barely noticeable quality hit from 4K, and it's more than balanced by the higher quality settings for me.

I was playing with the idea of gifting myself a new PC from my raise, but this quality is absolutely fine, think I'll move the new PC to next year when the 3080s have dipped in price.
Also, holy poo poo I completely forgot about the price difference in PC hardware between the US and Germany. Jesus Christ

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Played the first two missions on 4K with medium details, and poo poo like motion blur/film grain turned off (since I don't like that anyway), and the game was absolutely servicable at just under 30fps.
Switched to 2K, turned the quality to high, and holy poo poo. Runs absolutely smoothly at 50+fps and looks gorgeous. Barely noticeable quality hit from 4K, and it's more than balanced by the higher quality settings for me.

I was playing with the idea of gifting myself a new PC from my raise, but this quality is absolutely fine, think I'll move the new PC to next year when the 3080s have dipped in price.
Also, holy poo poo I completely forgot about the price difference in PC hardware between the US and Germany. Jesus Christ

I mean if you factor in scalpers, a new pc with a 3080 and an R5 5600x will cost you an amount over 2200 USD, since neither of those parts are obtainable at retail, as they're instantly inhaled by bots for scalping at double and triple retail price.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ded posted:

Words of advice for cyberpunk 2077

After you meet with Dex, do the ? gigs all over the map before doing anything else. Also having a 6-8 in body can let you open a lot of poo poo that has really nice goodies. And a 5+ int will let you hack some access points for easy cash. Access points are all over the drat place and you find them with the free PING quickhack that you have to pickup from the vendor RIGHT AT THE END OF the ride you take with dex. Like it puts you facing the drat building.

Maybe I'm dense, but I can't quite figure out where to get this quickhack. I can't get into any of the buildings at the spot where Dex dropped me off, everything's locked, and there's no vendor. The question marks did appear on my map, so I at least assume this is the spot and time I'm supposed to be at.

/edit: Google says I get the quickhack at the end of a mission called "The Gift"?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 13, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Maybe I'm dense, but I can't quite figure out where to get this quickhack. I can't get into any of the buildings at the spot where Dex dropped me off, everything's locked, and there's no vendor. The question marks did appear on my map, so I at least assume this is the spot and time I'm supposed to be at.

/edit: Google says I get the quickhack at the end of a mission called "The Gift"?

When you get out of the car you are facing the building. It's a pagoda type thing. The netrunner store is on the second floor. If you track the gift it will path you there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Also, talk to the militech chick. And later if you get the chance meet her in the hotel for the best god damned melee weapon in the game

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ded posted:

Also, talk to the militech chick. And later if you get the chance meet her in the hotel for the best god damned melee weapon in the game

gently caress her i told her to gently caress off

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

gently caress me the variation in perks is a bit much. I was thinking on doing a hacking/stealth type duder for my first run, and I guess Breach Protocol is utility and efficiency for targeted / damage quickhacks, while the quickhacks themselves are how I deal my damage?
Bit overwhelming, but I guess I'll just spelunk my way through it and see how it goes. That tip with the Ping quickhack and advanced datamining is pretty cool though, decent source of cash in most location it seems.

/edit: Is this famed "title card" point after The Heist? I'm five hours into this game, have done a couple of side quests, started the Heist now, and I haven't reached it yet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/vogon/status/1338037597315076096

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit: Is this famed "title card" point after The Heist? I'm five hours into this game, have done a couple of side quests, started the Heist now, and I haven't reached it yet.

Yeah. the game doesn't really start until like, 30-45 min after the titlecard. I have 8-ish hours played and just now started the "main" plot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I went back to AC: Valhalla since I'm kinda bummed at how poorly Cyberpunk runs

The side quests in this game are cool as hell. They definitely picked up the right idea from The Witcher 3. I've stolen clothes from nudists, delivered apples for an apple-bobbing cult, and punched out the English One-Punch Man.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Carteret posted:

Yeah. the game doesn't really start until like, 30-45 min after the titlecard. I have 8-ish hours played and just now started the "main" plot.

yeah, its like another couple missions after the card then on your own do whatever you want

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1338288749885726723?s=20

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Carteret posted:

Oh man that's funny. I played a bunch this weekend and stopped right after that and the game telling me I hit act I since I'm going to a cabin with my wife for a week. Glad to know after eight hours played I still haven't really started the main plot.

I have last of us 2 and ac:valhalla waiting for me when I get home too. Might go back and forth while I burn my vacation time through the end of the year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So, I checked a little bit ago, but you can apparently order an Xbox Series S through the xbox store app on live. Series X were sold clean out, but they still had Series S around 30 minutes ago. For late december shipment.

I guess it's probably on the microsoft store too, but I was bored browsing on xbone earlier.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Carteret posted:

Damnit, I wish I'd known this beforehand.
I figured I'd knock out just ooone last mission before going to bed and watching a movie, and thought 30 minutes would be fine. Big ol' nope.
The whole thing was about an hour including prep, cutscenes, and a seemingly-impossible boss battle that ended up having a stupid-simple solution (albeit a very odd one...Oh, I was just supposed to ignore all the enemies and the giant gently caress-off mech, and run to the elevator to the garage? ).
Then I got the title card and figured "phew. Okay, off to my movie. Wait, what, 'interlude'? okay, maybe a few more minutes", and then it ended up being another 40 minutes or so, and I still didn't want to put the game down.

So here's my personal PSA: IF YOU WERE PLANNING ON PUTTING THE GAME DOWN WITHIN THE NEXT 30-45 MINUTES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T START 'THE HEIST'

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I did manage to kill the enemy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress her i told her to gently caress off

dude

it vibrates

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

I did manage to kill the enemy.

I kill dozered my way through the hotel fight. I thought it was going to be mandatory stealthy. A few guards in and my luck finally ran out. The guns I grabbed off the bodies were trash so I just crafted up a nice blue LMG that I forgot where I got the schematic for. Made quick work of everything after that. The final robo boss went down fast under a few hacks and constant LMG fire.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got some subdermal armor that is worth like 90 armor points, which was huge in the act1 fights. 90 armor is like an extra couple pieces of body armor, so I was able to just blast my way through the hotel only stopping every now and again to take a hit from a maxdoc. I want to put more points in shotgun and lmg skills so I just become a terminator.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 14, 2020

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wait, there was supposed to be a boss fight?? :confused:

e: I did ninja my way out, so that's probably it, then.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also, killing mechs is really easy with short circuit, I managed to get a blue short circuit from the all foods plant, it does like 350dmg/sec base damage for 6 seconds, and mechs multiply that damage, I was hitting the boss mech for 6000/sec with my juiced up cyberdeck. The mech dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I was still all kinds of stock when I went into that mission with the exception of having completed a couple of side-quests. I didn't follow ded's advice of doing all the question marks, so I had my stock cyberdeck, didn't have a selection of quickhacks to choose from before engagements, didn't have a mech-specific quick hack, and even trying to hack the mech would have been 5/7 RAM with the hacks I did have available, and I only have 6 RAM available.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/kctdh3/cd_projekt_red_issues_update_on_lastgen_console/

Should’ve named it Meltdown City. This game’s going to have a body count.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I almost feel bad for consolers. This game owns on PC. :smug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/kctdh3/cd_projekt_red_issues_update_on_lastgen_console/

Should’ve named it Meltdown City. This game’s going to have a body count.

I was chatting with a friend about getting the game, and he was considering getting it on PS4 but had some reservations because the requirements were supposedly so steep on PC but would still be released on PS4. So I looked up the console release this morning, and...it's been a shitshow.
Bonus-thing (:haw:) I learned today is that the bonuses for the devteam at CDPR are tied to the review scores being above 90, and the outlook for the rating remaining there is quite grim.

I'm guessing a whole bunch of folks are going to be pissed off that two out of three updates to address the console release aren't gonna be done before the holidays, so there goes the 100%-bug-free playing over the Christmas break.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Bonus-thing (:haw:) I learned today is that the bonuses for the devteam at CDPR are tied to the review scores being above 90, and the outlook for the rating remaining there is quite grim.

like, why would you be happy about that?

and anyway you're wrong, management removed that requirement:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/12/cd-projekt-wont-hold-dev-bonuses-hostage-behind-cyberpunk-2077-review-scores/

game is really fun. I'm playing on a midrange PC.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah I'm very glad I got this on pc and upgraded my card right beforehand, two of my friends are playing on console and it's been a mess for them.

Glad they removed the review requirement for the bonus, the game recouped dev and marketing costs already so there was really no excuse to not give those devs their bonuses.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

pmchem posted:

like, why would you be happy about that?

and anyway you're wrong, management removed that requirement:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/12/cd-projekt-wont-hold-dev-bonuses-hostage-behind-cyberpunk-2077-review-scores/

game is really fun. I'm playing on a midrange PC.

I'm not happy about it, it was the realization of accidentally making a dad-joke regarding the bonus-thing I was posting involving actual bonuses. And the "downsrim" smily has a bit of a bad taste these days.

Happy to hear that CDPR canceled their review-tied bonus payout, because the game is really loving something, I'm genuinely impressed that it runs so well at high quality and 2K on a 2060.
It genuinely sucks that the console release is going so rough.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’m playing Cyberpunk on a regular Xbone, and the performance is... ok? It certainly doesn’t look as pretty as the screenshots and videos I’m seeing online, but it’s decent, and seems to run ok now. The first couple days were rough, but the latest patch they pushed out seemed to help it a bunch. Graphics have never been super important to me, so YMMV

I’m enjoying the hell out of the game though. I’ve gotten a few bugs here and there, but it seems like it’s in a better place than other open-world games at launch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not even going to bother until I have a Series system. I'd probably get big GTAV on 360 energy out of it. And my xbone would probably overheat in five minutes of attempting to run it. It ran RDR2 like absolute dogshit.

At 6.5 years old, I'm just glad it still works, trying to run cyberpunk on it would probably result in flames.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Ran across this in a discord, thought I'd share for the 2077 crowd.

https://twitter.com/BirdTickler/status/1338271848820301824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Steezo posted:

Ran across this in a discord, thought I'd share for the 2077 crowd.

https://twitter.com/BirdTickler/status/1338271848820301824

I tried that, I'm still running at 60 FPS before and after but I don't seem to get sudden FPS drops anymore, like when the game can't decide if you're staying in this indoor area or moving back outside.