Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s peppercorn gravy and it’s good dumbasses, it’s usually served with sausage instead of containing the meat.

E: also since “lol gross american food” is always associated with white people, should be pointed out it was, like most southern food, invented by enslaved people making delicious hearty fare with the bare minimum and taken by white people later

you can defend peppercorn gravy all you want, but in both the north and south it's more often terrible glue than it is tasty. I think it's because without the sausage it requires a LOT of pepper to be good, and that's just not a recipe for "frequently done well in rural America"

I think it's just slightly easier to gently caress up than the rest of your average breakfast menu and that's all it really takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yellow Yoshi posted:

yeah, i've always known gravy as the brown stuff in owlfancier's picture

Gravy is a rich canvas on which to work and get fat, explore!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Freaquency posted:

https://youtu.be/BoFkDmTm2uc

It’s in that pantheon of foods that looks like a hot mess but is actually really good. There are also wide swings in quality depending on where you get it.

Authentic American sausage gravy can only come from a #10 can.

This is a sparkling Béchamel.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Look what I happened upon today at Jungle Jim's

Having just steamed 12 of the spicy kind, I think I can safely say that they're disappointing.

What I've determined over the last year of collecting Korean ramen like Pokemon, is that the noodles make or break it. Korean ramen packets have a great chew to them, which was missing from the dumplings (and also from the bowl style varieties which unfortunately use a noodle with a texture similar to Cup of Noodles).

The filling also contributed to making the flavor a lot milder flavor with the heat only really kicking in like an aftertaste instead of being the flavor as it is with the ramen.

There also was just something missing to the flavor. I didn't have any sauces on hand, and I'm not sure what to pair it with, as soy sauce just made it too salty.

Now the back of the bag did have instructions to make a soup, boil for 5-6 minutes in broth with vegetables, which would probably be pretty loving good.

I've had both of these. I love both of their respective noodle flavors. These dumplings kinda suck. They're real mushy and, like you said, the flavor of the noodles doesn't really come through. Just a bit of the heat. I can see them being alright in a soup, but that's never how I eat my dumplings.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Re: gravy chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kirSTyLlVoM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1z4feoNJHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOWabWF1efY

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pop the airbag I loving dare you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lucky Harms

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

White gravy is a thing, I think mainly based in the south, where they make a totally separate sauce without meat drippings or whatever and call that gravy.

nah it's made in the same skillet as the sausage

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

nah it's made in the same skillet as the sausage

It's supposed to be traditionally. Odds are if you're buying something with it in a restaurant it's from a mix, which are typically vegetarian. In my experience the mixes often use palm kernel oil because it's super shelf stable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

Pop the airbag I loving dare you.

There's MOLTEN CHEESE in there

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smashed sandwich and a side of P

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

chitoryu12 posted:

The only difference between vodka and whiskey before a barrel is that the vodka is generally distilled multiple times and filtered to remove as much flavor as possible. 70-80% of the final flavor of an aged spirit comes from the barrel, and there are aged vodkas out there. The jars of "moonshine" you see at the liquor store are just how whiskey is before it gets aged.

The actual aging process of brown liquor is mysterious and still not totally known by us, which is why nobody's been able to scientifically duplicate it even through trying to analyze and copy the molecules. It's also highly dependent on external temperature and humidity, which is why scotch ages much slower and differently from bourbon aged in the hot south. The St. Augustine Distillery in Florida is the first bourbon distillery in the state and they have to do tricks with swapping between barrels of different sizes to try and balance how rapid the extraction of charred oak compounds is vs. how rapid the oxidation and climate-based factors go, to avoid making something undrinkable.

Fun experiment: put some moonshine in one of those little countertop cocktail aging barrels for 1 month. Marvel at how rapidly it becomes disgusting because you over-oaked it!

There is a noticeable difference between different grain bills, and especially between neutral spirits distilled in a reflux still and spirits distilled in a pot still, since the pot still will leave more of the flavor of the mash. Also, one of the main reasons bourbon ages so quickly and extracts so much oak/vanilla flavor is because bourbon is required to use virgin charred barrels, while other barrel aged spirits can use whatever they want. A lot of scotch is aged in sherry barrels, for instance, and the sherry already leached a lot of the flavor out of the oak.

This is also why "bourbon barrel aging" is a thing, because bourbon distilleries can only use their barrels once, so they sell for (relatively) cheap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

more falafel please posted:

There is a noticeable difference between different grain bills, and especially between neutral spirits distilled in a reflux still and spirits distilled in a pot still, since the pot still will leave more of the flavor of the mash. Also, one of the main reasons bourbon ages so quickly and extracts so much oak/vanilla flavor is because bourbon is required to use virgin charred barrels, while other barrel aged spirits can use whatever they want. A lot of scotch is aged in sherry barrels, for instance, and the sherry already leached a lot of the flavor out of the oak.

This is also why "bourbon barrel aging" is a thing, because bourbon distilleries can only use their barrels once, so they sell for (relatively) cheap.

Yeah, the advent of the reflux still issued a revolution in Whiskey distilling, as the smoother more neutral spirit was easier to mass-produce, and a blend of more neutral whiskey with a select small portion of various single malt pot-stilled whiskey became the whiskey of gentlemen. Those 1800's gentleman's monocles would pop off at the thought of crude, harsh pot stilled whiskey being the expensive, "refined" drink in the modern day.

I really like whiskey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

more falafel please posted:

A strong difference between grain bills after aging. I've had the common "moonshine" like Ole Smoky and the expensive Mt. Vernon unaged rye whiskey produced in reproduction 18th century stills, and both of them taste almost identical.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, the advent of the reflux still issued a revolution in Whiskey distilling, as the smoother more neutral spirit was easier to mass-produce, and a blend of more neutral whiskey with a select small portion of various single malt pot-stilled whiskey became the whiskey of gentlemen. Those 1800's gentleman's monocles would pop off at the thought of crude, harsh pot stilled whiskey being the expensive, "refined" drink in the modern day.

I really like whiskey.

The good single malts like Glenlivet are still made in pot stills. The harshness of 18th and early 19th century whiskey was more to do with less precision in cutting off the heads and tails of the distillate and giving the whiskey little to no aging from the distillery, relying on wholesalers/rectifiers to finish the product. Some of them legitimately aged their whiskey in casks to get good product. A lot of them cheated with all sorts of poo poo from caramel coloring and lanolin to prune juice and acids. Your average wild west rotgut was likely something pretty terrifying.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

McDonald’s Selling ‘Spam Burger’ Topped With Oreo Cookie Crumbs In China

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's a maybe. It depends on how busy the place is and on how much it looks like an awesome version of what I ordered. Crunch time with the kitchen obviously going nuts ? I'll eat it. Average lunch service, no big deal ? That's going back.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

I'm tryna figure out what's a good mixer for Laphroaig

drambuie

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A German court just decided that no, your cookies may not contain saw dust, even if it's declared as an ingredient and traditionally has always been an ingredient.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Ah, Hardee's famous Wetburger.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

burger pea wet

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheAardvark posted:

you can defend peppercorn gravy all you want, but in both the north and south it's more often terrible glue than it is tasty. I think it's because without the sausage it requires a LOT of pepper to be good, and that's just not a recipe for "frequently done well in rural America"

I think it's just slightly easier to gently caress up than the rest of your average breakfast menu and that's all it really takes.

You got some bad fuckin' food opinions but I defend your right to be wrong.

White gravy can be disappointing but more often it's just that they didn't include salt or the pepper is just lovely pre-ground pepper.

Like seriously doesn't matter how much stale ground pepper you add to anything, it won't help.

Goddamn I could gently caress UP a big loving biscuits and gravy right now. gently caress.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Whoever invented "butter burgers" needs to be taken out back and put down for the good of humanity as a whole. Wipe Culver's and all their imitators of the face of the map. I don't want the top of my loving burger bun to be wet and slippery.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

keep the culver name out your mouth

but like, still eat there, you know what I mean

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Wasabi the J posted:

White gravy can be disappointing but more often it's just that they didn't include salt or the pepper is just lovely pre-ground pepper.

Like seriously doesn't matter how much stale ground pepper you add to anything, it won't help.

Goddamn I could gently caress UP a big loving biscuits and gravy right now. gently caress.

this is the correct opinion, white gravy haters :frogout:

I need to lose ten pounds but now I want a mountain of biscuits and gravy instead

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wasabi the J posted:

not sure what you think i disagree with here. i'm talking about your average greasy spoon's attempt at sausageless White Gravy which as you say doesn't include salt and the pepper is .1 tsp of pre-ground. i also love biscuits and gravy, or else i wouldn't keep ordering it and being disappointed !!!!!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1341216910709387264

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:gonk:

:stonk:

:hmmyes:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wasabi the J posted:

goddamn sorry west coast y'all suck at southern food and yall do a pretty good job with a lot of other poo poo.

But every southern dish from the west coast has been a bland, floury disappointment. Closest I got was a decent chicken fried steak at a bougie brunch place that closed permanently here in Vegas, which was about at the "plastic table cloth diner" level quality.

I need "roll of paper towels on the table diner" quality southern food.
Mary Stewart's Southern Soul Food in Rialto is what you want.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CannonFodder posted:

Mary Stewart's Southern Soul Food in Rialto is what you want.

Why would I trust the Scottish to make me southern food

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This is a good deal.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Thought this was the almighty loaf at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y35eBZ6K7U

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gschmidl posted:

A German court just decided that no, your cookies may not contain saw dust, even if it's declared as an ingredient and traditionally has always been an ingredient.

Wow, rude. What about heritage and freedom?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The white stuff is mayo... that... I...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Someone on youtube tried and recreated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEJUB_U6c0