Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Party Boat posted:

The Telegraph is already running stories about how the fishing industry has been hosed by the deal lol

I went looking for it on their twitter feed and found only this beyond-parody editorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Merry Christmas to the UK
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1342786590507208704

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

gonadic io posted:

I went looking for it on their twitter feed and found only this beyond-parody editorial

how is lord sumption someones real name

https://twitter.com/PotatoHouseUK/status/1339642154747129858

https://twitter.com/PotatoHouseUK/status/1342183751573499907

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poty posted:

how is lord sumption someones real name

It does make me think that George Lucas wasn't completely out of his mind when he suggested "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

prefect posted:

It does make me think that George Lucas wasn't completely out of his mind when he suggested "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius".

he did that to troll the game developers because he thought their character was too lame to be a darth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol rip

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Are there enough greens for a split?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Continuity NIP posted:

Those two are gonna get trapped in an elevator together and work out all their porblems

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Continuity NIP posted:

If Trotskyites have taught me anything it's that if you have 2 people in a room there are enough for a split.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

If Trotskyites have taught me anything it's that if you have 2 people in a room there are enough for a split.

Eh, the solipsist has them beat.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Why is the UK like hardcore TERF land of all things? Like most other places they just roll it all up in one big ball of gay hate, but the UK seems to have an endless supply of middle class weirdos writing newspaper columns that are all "I fully support gay people and multiculturalism and remaining in the EU. I just very much hate trans women specifically and won't be bullied by twitter for it!"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mrmcd posted:

Why is the UK like hardcore TERF land of all things? Like most other places they just roll it all up in one big ball of gay hate, but the UK seems to have an endless supply of middle class weirdos writing newspaper columns that are all "I fully support gay people and multiculturalism and remaining in the EU. I just very much hate trans women specifically and won't be bullied by twitter for it!"

Owen Jones for one has written and just done a video on the topic, but I believe it's generally considered to be because there was no 3rd wave of racial justice inclusive feminism in the uk
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/terf-trans-women-britain.html

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1343746890882404352

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mrmcd posted:

well few societies were as neurotically repressed to matters of sexuality and gender as Victorian Britain (and for such a long time too), with the results that now we can consider pretty much predictable: chemical castration for homosexuals was a thing until what, 1967? When homosexuality was "partly decriminalized"?

I mean, this isn't a formal hypothesis or anything like that, but when you have generations of people being raised in that context, it is very easy for conservative or reactionary tendencies to dominate the public thinking in the process by treating as a matter of perversion, even in fronts that we usually would call "progressive"

but IDK any movement more self-defeating/destructive than the british terfs in the way they go along with antifeminists entirely to their benefit just to own transwomen, without realizing that hey these guys are already clowning you

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

its because britain is garbage

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

gonadic io posted:

Owen Jones for one has written and just done a video on the topic, but I believe it's generally considered to be because there was no 3rd wave of racial justice inclusive feminism in the uk
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/terf-trans-women-britain.html

Dear friend, while that link is interesting, it's not Owen Jones. Do you have a link to that too? Thanks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

Think they'd be discussing how to cover up a rape

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

oliwan posted:

Dear friend, while that link is interesting, it's not Owen Jones. Do you have a link to that too? Thanks.

He recently had an episode on his show about this exact topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vK-keIhmEY
I'm not about to go dig through his columns but they'll be there on the Guardian, which I've found generally otherwise quite TERFy for exactly these reasons.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/SloughForEU/status/1343901000046931972

more eels for poty!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Directly into my veins.

Also wtf who is buying all these live eels??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Directly into my veins.

they’re bait for fishing. e.g. bass

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He...thought he was going to get an easier to reach, global market outside of the EU? Wha?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mrmcd posted:

Directly into my veins.

Literally nobody in the UK

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Excess eels

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
employs 10 people, makes 2 million pounds a year, fun numbers

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you'd think an eel breeder and seller of 50 years would know that european eels are an endangered species so he could only sell them within the EU as the bloc doesn't allow import or export. And that out of the EU, he can't sell them anywhere except domestically because the UK is a CITES signatory anyway.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

good, more fish for britain

feed the eels to the royal navy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

£1,900,000 on eel feed

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Achievement Unlocked: Adequate Food

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Here is is a couple of years ago singing a different song for ukip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKzHiJy8rBk

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

Third World Reagan posted:

how so?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I love me some smoked eel tbh. Jellied eel is an affront to God.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

An insane mind posted:

He...thought he was going to get an easier to reach, global market outside of the EU? Wha?

GLOBAL BRITAIN

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

I love me some smoked eel tbh. Jellied eel is an affront to God.

Smoked is great, fried eel is God like. It's the maximum fat saturation point you can reach with a fish, and if you have something to soak that up its just so good.

By the way what's the reception of brexit in the UK? All I've heard is that the papers are doing victory laps for boris, while here in the EU everybodies slapping each other on the back for doing "the smart thing" while everybodies a bit blue balled from nothing spectacular happening anymore.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Son of Rodney posted:

Smoked is great, fried eel is God like. It's the maximum fat saturation point you can reach with a fish, and if you have something to soak that up its just so good.

By the way what's the reception of brexit in the UK? All I've heard is that the papers are doing victory laps for boris, while here in the EU everybodies slapping each other on the back for doing "the smart thing" while everybodies a bit blue balled from nothing spectacular happening anymore.

we're gonna have 10 years of bojo

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

we're gonna have 10 years of bojo

Ahh, the... second? Third? Five-Heir Plan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Desiderata posted:

Here is is a couple of years ago singing a different song for ukip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKzHiJy8rBk

Song and UKIP in the same sentence means I remember this appalling travesty from the UKIP Party Conference: https://youtu.be/lYOBZ3Seeio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

well few societies were as neurotically repressed to matters of sexuality and gender as Victorian Britain (and for such a long time too), with the results that now we can consider pretty much predictable: chemical castration for homosexuals was a thing until what, 1967? When homosexuality was "partly decriminalized"?

I mean, this isn't a formal hypothesis or anything like that, but when you have generations of people being raised in that context, it is very easy for conservative or reactionary tendencies to dominate the public thinking in the process by treating as a matter of perversion, even in fronts that we usually would call "progressive"

but IDK any movement more self-defeating/destructive than the british terfs in the way they go along with antifeminists entirely to their benefit just to own transwomen, without realizing that hey these guys are already clowning you

didnt pretty much everywhere treat being gay as a psychological disorder in the 1960s