Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Elon Musk wants to go into space which means its bad and i dont want to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jabberlock posted:

Elon Musk wants to go into space which means its bad and i dont want to do it

this is actually a pretty sound argument tbh

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
What if I want to go to space to kill Elon Musk

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/28/950861977/toxic-individualism-pandemic-politics-driving-health-care-workers-from-small-tow

lol hell yeah

quote:

The virus infecting thousands of Americans a day is also attacking the country's social fabric. The coronavirus has exposed a weakness in many rural communities, where divisive pandemic politics are alienating some of their most critical residents — health care workers.

A wave of departing medical professionals would leave gaping holes in the rural health care system, and small-town economies, triggering a death spiral in some of these areas that may be hard to stop.

America is broke brained and deserves death

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hey junpei, my dude, this is a pictures thread. you’re just posting pictures of words. it’s getting old!! I’m being as nice as possible bc your our little communist bebe but please just post actual pictures. theres no consequences if you ignore me but I will be disappointed in you, and I will not share Dog Secrets with you, ever

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

When I die please prop my body up as a spokesperson for whatever killed me. Eternally own me.

Brunch Covidian
Nov 21, 2020

by Pragmatica

Alternate explanation: the shortage of healthcare workers nationwide means they can move away from the shitheads in dying rural communities to employment opportunities elsewhere and like everyone else will jump at the chance to GTFO of Upper East Jesus

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
serious legit social/philosophical/political question: do ends justify means?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Junpei posted:

serious legit answer: depends

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it depends

e: oh hi

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Senjuro posted:

But why? The solar system has the capacity to support quadrillions of people. What's the point of going to another star where you have no infrastructure and absolutely no one to help you should something go wrong?

no one wants to live on uranus though

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Falcorum posted:

no one wants to live on uranus though

maybe not uranus

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Junpei posted:

a wise man once said: the cure cannot be worse than the disease

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Junpei posted:

Nothing ever ends, you only have the means

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Senjuro posted:

But why? The solar system has the capacity to support quadrillions of people. What's the point of going to another star where you have no infrastructure and absolutely no one to help you should something go wrong?

because exploring the universe is cool, idiot

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

don't keep all your eggs in one basket

expanding and exploring are intrinsic to the human experience, and also probably the experience of any other species competitive enough to dominate its planet and reach outward

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/perdricof/status/1344290951670493190

"dudes rock"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1327187787368554496

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

[To the tune of Jefferson Airlplane's 'Feed Your Head']

Remember, what the Red Queen said
Off with their REDACTEDs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wheeee posted:

don't keep all your eggs in one basket

expanding and exploring are intrinsic to the human experience, and also probably the experience of any other species competitive enough to dominate its planet and reach outward

there's only the one basket. the existence of other baskets is theoretical

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it'd have been pretty neat if there was a starter planet in the hospitable zone for us to practice on as babby's first extra-planetary empire. something like endor with absolutely zero intelligent species

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm gonna blow this fucker up in the Control sequel

why would you

maybe it turns into a mech suit

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
space just sounds like a real pain in the rear end of a place

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cenotaph posted:

Ah yes, the woman who wouldn't give up her blackberry is a huge fan of the switch.

there’s a photo of her playing game boy in the 90s

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this content is relevant to my interests

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, he even said he was going to do this exact thing in his message

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1327579137519849473

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

This owns.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

i say swears online posted:

it'd have been pretty neat if there was a starter planet in the hospitable zone for us to practice on as babby's first extra-planetary empire. something like endor with absolutely zero intelligent species

Planets are useless unless perfectly suited for humans. If you really want to expand just build O'Neill cylinders. You get an environment you can fully control, no gravity well to fight, easy access to asteroids to mine, and uninterrupted solar power.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

That has to be fake. Please tell me it's fake.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Senjuro posted:

Planets are useless unless perfectly suited for humans. If you really want to expand just build O'Neill cylinders. You get an environment you can fully control, no gravity well to fight, easy access to asteroids to mine, and uninterrupted solar power.

One collision and you're hosed. Planets are better because of their atmospheres for exactly this purpose... which is also why building external cities on the moon and Mars is a bad idea

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
It's a joke account

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

its quite obviously a joke account. a pretty good one at that. plenty of great posts

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1331167937382801409

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1333745092566392832

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1342533042146062337

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

there’s a photo of her playing game boy in the 90s

she's probably still playing that, then.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

change my name posted:

One collision and you're hosed. Planets are better because of their atmospheres for exactly this purpose... which is also why building external cities on the moon and Mars is a bad idea

Between the thickness of the structure and the additional layers of rock you can cover it in it'll need to get hit with something fairly big before it's a problem and the bigger it is, the easier it is to spot and prepare a response. Either deflect it or even move the cylinder out of the way if need be.

Meanwhile if you're trying to settle a planet without 1g gravity your body will get more and more hosed and no one will be able to successfully carry a pregnancy to term so you can forget about having a colony. Even if that issue is somehow solved, without a breathable atmosphere the colonists will spend 99% of their lives indoors. It's child abuse to raise someone in such an environment.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

change my name posted:

One collision and you're hosed.

Then just make a bunch of tiny ones and string em together idk?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Between the thickness of the structure and the additional layers of rock you can cover it in it'll need to get hit with something fairly big before it's a problem and the bigger it is, the easier it is to spot and prepare a response. Either deflect it or even move the cylinder out of the way if need be.

Meanwhile if you're trying to settle a planet without 1g gravity your body will get more and more hosed and no one will be able to successfully carry a pregnancy to term so you can forget about having a colony. Even if that issue is somehow solved, without a breathable atmosphere the colonists will spend 99% of their lives indoors. It's child abuse to raise someone in such an environment.

I mean an O’Neil cylinder is 100% indoors

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

indigi posted:

I mean an O’Neil cylinder is 100% indoors

Indoors that can fit small mountains and lakes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Indoors that can fit small mountains and lakes.

so why couldn’t you build a room that big on The Moon or Mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

indigi posted:

so why couldn’t you build a room that big on The Moon or Mars

Guess you could but It'll be harder in a gravity well and you still won't have the gravity you need for a sustainable colony.